Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

You will have 7k or 134/ week from 65 from DD. I presume this will also give you a lump sum of 3X its value or 21k

I would be a bit careful on this bit. Any DB scheme statements I've seen give the pension amount assuming no lump sum; taking one would reduce the pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,651 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I think it depends what lens you look through. Are you aiming to survive, or thrive? You're definitely safe if that's the aim

I think.it all relative it's easy to talk. About 1 million + pension funds when you are earnings 100 k+. Butrasgali is on mid level factory income I presume in the 40-50k mark.

As an aside a 7K DB pension will cost 170-200k approximately. To buy if index linked. However people have to love inntge here and now as well and put kids through college.

There are benefits and challenges to retiring pre 60. It will be more so in the future if your children are still college age. Those on higher incomes have more ability to use the tax and pension system to there advantage. Often those on higher incomes will see employers more than matching funds.

Remember people have to live in the here and now as well.

Another couple of factor if you are married or have a partner they may not be able to afford to retire at this stage especially if they are a few years younger than you.

As well even now 60 years are much more active than 30 years ago in 20-30 time a 60 year old will be maybe the equivalent of a 50 year old now. The challenge of retiring at 60 is not just having a pension pot big enough but having enough to fullfil that life.

I actually think that the structure of retirement will change over the next 20-30 years. I believe that as the population ages companies will be.much more open to allowing employees reduced working weeks and/or greater time off. You already see it in nursing where people are retiring and working 15-30 hours s week to top up there pension

McGaggs wrote: »
    I would be a bit careful on this bit. Any DB scheme statements I've seen give the pension amount assuming no lump sum; taking one would reduce the pension.

DB statement generally give a total pension value now. However most have a pension and lump sums value in the total sum

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

Just by coincidence the company I work in have come out and said they are interested and are looking into an option of buying out the people who have a dB pension..I looked at the dB figure which is 7990euro per year when I retire..I can't see an overall total figure that the dB is worth..is there some sort of set calculation to make this up from the figure above..I have just over 20 years in the old dB scheme..thanks again

Just by coincidence the company I work have come out and said they are interested and are looking into an option of buying out the people who have a dB pension..I looked at the dB figure which is 7990euro per year when I retire..I can't see an overall total figure that the dB is worth..is there some sort of set calculation to make this up from the figure above..I have just over 20 years in the old dB scheme..thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

These days I would not be buying an annuity for your pension.
    Look up ARFs / AMRFs instead. With interest rates the way they are now annuity just does not make any sense.

• Advertisement

butrasgali wrote: »
    Just by coincidence the company I work in have come out and said they are interested and are looking into an option of buying out the people who have a dB pension..I looked at the dB figure which is 7990euro per year when I retire..I can't see an overall total figure that the dB is worth..is there some sort of set calculation to make this up from the figure above..I have just over 20 years in the old dB scheme..thanks again

So you have 8k if an annuity. I presume you have to be 65 and retired before you can draw it down. As well is there a survivor element to it(50% widows) I be very slow letting them buy it out especially if you are in very good health( not a smoker, not seriously over weight and exercise regularly). People that live to there 60's on average will live to 84 years if age.

There are different permutations depending on how long you were to retirement, if there is a lump sum separate to the DB element. Is it index linked. As well is there survivor and your health.

You want a fund of 150-220k by 65 to replace it

Slava Ukrainii

Just by coincidence the company I work have come out and said they are interested and are looking into an option of buying out the people who have a dB pension..I looked at the dB figure which is 7990euro per year when I retire..I can't see an overall total figure that the dB is worth..is there some sort of set calculation to make this up from the figure above..I have just over 20 years in the old dB scheme..thanks again

As the valuation of DB schemes is based on current bond yields (I believe the current reference is a particular french govt bond), current transfer values are quite high. This may make the value being offered look quite high, without an enhancement being given. To make your decision, you'll need to see if you'll expect to be able to provide the same benefits on retirement from the transfer value offered. You may also want to consider that the transfer value will likely decrease of there is any improvement on bond yields.

I don't believe their is a lump sum.I think the company will only offer 50 percent of what thevalue of the dB is.. imo.lots I feel will take it,especially shift workers with the attitude that they won't live much longer after retirement..

I don't believe their is a lump sum.I think the company will only offer 50 percent of what thevalue of the dB is.. imo.lots I feel will take it,especially shift workers with the attitude that they won't live much longer after retirement..

If there is no LS there is probably no survivors benefit either at retirement you would want a pot of 150-180k to replace it with an annuity. You have 14 years to retirement. Assuming a 4%/year gain in value net of costs it would require a pot now of 100k to reach a figure of 166k. I am not entirely sure pension funds will achieve that figure annually especially as you will be derisking by the time you are sixty.

The advantages are you can take 25% as a lump sum at 65 tax free and transfer the rest into your ARF/AMRF. However technically you can do that anyway with an DB pension fund with the exception of public services where there is no funds available.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭DaveByDavid

Had a pension question that this thread might be able to help with.

I haven't set one up yet and I really probably should. I'm in the 20% tax relief bracket and am self employed.

For ease of making sure I have enough to pay the tax man every month I just transfer 51% of anything earned to a separate savings account. Can I just pay a lump sum into a pension every year tax free? Example below.

• I earn 100,000 euro in a year
    • I put 51% into a savings account to pay the tax year end - 51,000 euro
    • My tax relief between 30-39 is 20%
    • If I earn 100,000 euro the tax relief would be 20,000 euro

Does this mean at the end of the year I could pay 20,000 euro into a pension and only pay the tax man 31,000 from the 51,000 I've saved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I think it means that you can save 20k into your pension tax free. So it ultimately only costs you 12k or so.

You effectively pay tax on 80k instead of 100k

Gotcha! I knew my way was too good to be true.

I guess it's still worth doing as much as I can then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I definitely think so. All the world over the first step to build wealth is to reduce your tax bill #trump750usdtax

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Nobody in Ireland has an effective tax rate of 51%, so there is no need to put 51k of your 100k earnings aside.

On 100k earnings, I'd say the effective tax rate is maybe 36-40% approx.

I do that just to be safe.

I think with PRSI etc it works out at around 51% once I'm over 35k on everything earned.

I used to have a PAYE job alongside this which is why I always saved 51% of total earnings from outside that job and just carried on with it now.

I can always take some back from the tax account when needed anyway.

For now it's time to look for a pension - not sure where to begin, might even try and find a financial advisor for all this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

51% before tax credits, pension contributions, salary sacrifice (if you have it) and whatever other tax benefits you can find relevant to your profession

Hello,ive just been offer an enhanced value transfer for my dB pension..14 years to go to retirement, my dB is worth 80 grand ,total EVT to me is 195 grand..I will be getting some advice on this soon..but I would like to hear what people think.this would bring my dc plan to 375now with 14years to go..thanks

What annual pension would you get if you stayed in the dB scheme, and is the scheme fully funded?

I think previously you said your DB projected worth was 7k/ year. Your DC was 145k. They are buying out you DB for 195?? Now. Again previously you indicated that there was no lump sum from the the DB scheme and you have 14 years to go. You never indicated if s survivor

At a 4% growth rate the 195 should grow onto over 300k (325by my calculations) if that is the right figure I am using. A fund of 375k without any additional contribution from you should reach over 600 k by retirement.

Slava Ukrainii

Thanks for that info..yes 8k a year is the dB amount per year at 65..they want to wind-up the db so the offer they say is a good one(87000saved in it and the offer of 195k)

..since the last quote ..my dc had gone to 160k at the moment and without the dB lumps,it's forecasts it to be at 375k..at 65..would ye recommend me to put it all in the dc..I do hope when the time come to take a 25 %tax free lump sum..not sure if that is at 55..

• Advertisement

It seems to be a good deal..maybe I'm taking a big chance putting it all into one overall fund..I do know I can transfer some or all in to cash in the dc..or a lower risk investment

Just an update on my situation..I jave til Dec 10th to make a decision to change my dB to the dc..I'm going for it after getting alot of advise..basically I will now have 350k in my dc and all going well I could have a big pension at 60/61.

What is the multiple of the DB V the yearly DB payment.

Slava Ukrainii

It's close to a multiple of 19 times the amount,..the total amount if and when I change to the dc will be 355k..which at 51 is not bad I feel..

They have painted a picture that you are getting a great enhanced offer,but in reality its a multiple of 18 to 20 times for most people who are being offered this

Well the deed is done,have just popped my dB into the dc pension,now hopefully things will stay on the positive and climb to a nice pot by the time I'm 60 or 61..regards b

Advertisement