Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curse of Defective Concrete (Mica, Pyrrhotite, etc.) in Donegal homes - Read Mod warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

chris_ie wrote: »
    Thinking the same myself! Anyone any idea of how you could figure out who supplied the blocks for the house? Not sure who built this house (we bought in 2012).

You'd probably have to track down whoever built it, see if they would know.

I was in a similar situation , house built 2001.

I had some exposed blocks in my crawl spaces into the attic, and someone told me they were Cassidys blocks. Apparently they look different to Chambers for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mcdock

Thinking the same myself! Anyone any idea of how you could figure out who supplied the blocks for the house? Not sure who built this house (we bought in 2012).

What area are you in,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Mcdock wrote: »
    What area are you in,

I'm out by Rathdonnell, outside Letterkenny. Managed to find the name of the architect by going through the planning site and contacted him. He thinks the blocks for this house came from Letterkenny Ready Mix. Not sure if there is a way to find out for sure.

Went out takin photos there again. Noticed a few more vertical crack. Thin but there. Then noticed a big crack on the chimney. Not sure how I didn’t notice it before. We had our other chimney rebuilt a few years back as there was a leak. Chimney crowd reckoned there was a chimney fire at some point that caused the crack. But I’m starting to doubt that now. Stress levels fairly rising here now….

Went out takin photos there again. Noticed a few more vertical crack. Thin but there. Then noticed a big crack on the chimney. Not sure how I didn’t notice it before. We had our other chimney rebuilt a few years back as there was a leak. Chimney crowd reckoned there was a chimney fire at some point that caused the crack. But I’m starting to doubt that now. Stress levels fairly rising here now….

Funny you mention the chimney. Similar situation to yourself.

I had fine plaster cracks around my house, that never seemed to get any worse. It was painted 3 years apart and guy who did it said the cracks were exactly the same and if mica would have got worse. That gave me some hope a couple of years ago

However about 3 months ago I noticed our chimney had cracks on 3 sides. Never noticed them before, and obviously were there when last painted. Could see them clearly from the ground . One side was quite open.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Funny you mention the chimney. Similar situation to yourself.

I had fine plaster cracks around my house, that never seemed to get any worse. It was painted 3 years apart and guy who did it said the cracks were exactly the same and if mica would have got worse. That gave me some hope a couple of years ago

However about 3 months ago I noticed our chimney had cracks on 3 sides. Never noticed them before, and obviously were there when last painted. Could see them clearly from the ground . One side was quite open.

Have you had yours tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,082 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Looks like we might be up and running again

Maybe tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Barely. What new hell has this site become?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

• Advertisement

And vastly less user friendly, at least so far.

It's going to take a while to figure this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I haven't had time to get used to it, it's just been released so I can't really comment.

Looks like this thread has died a death since the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I hear Cassidys are taking a case of defamation against an Inish Times journalist. Just shows how low they can go.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

What did journo say that would be defamation I wonder?

I'd say the whole site has to be honest. It's a dog's dinner.

Re Mica, I see Frank McBrearty has been making waves too, going after the DCC and his fellow County councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

New site is a nightmare, I think alot of people like myself will just not bother with it.

Anyhow paddy's pulled away from the working group, I think we all new this was just going to be a pr stunt by the Government.

Fairplay to paddy for saying it as it is and not carrying on with the sham meetings.

Yeah, looks like the meetings are going the way we thought they would.

A lot of talk and very little action. It appears there is still no sign of any urgency coming out of all this, which is what is needed.

I think the government are going to drag this out as long as they can, and maybe it will be another party's problem further down the line.

• Advertisement

Exactly , total farcical carry on.

Simple truth is they don't care and the meetings were only a farce to keep people quiet for a while.

Going to have to take a lesson from the French I think.

I'd say another protest is nearly a certainty at this point, unless something changes soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

There's talk about the 15th of September when the Dail reconvenes.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Heard today of a council estate that's supposed to be riddled with it, some of the houses were sold off a few years ago, if the council knew before they sold them, does this open a whole new handling?

Depends if one of those who bought a house would be able to prove DCC knew there was a mica issue with the house before they sold it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I would think that the value of all houses in Donegal, regardless of whether or not there's any chance of them being affected by Mica, has reduced. Anyone selling a house who could prove that it isn't affected would likely get a higher price.

Of course of you're pessimistic, no-one would buy a house in Donegal without that proof.

Well I have seen quite a few local houses sell lately.

Some were older and built before Mica, but a few others would be 'at risk' imho, and a risky buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Im in the same boat as some in here. I live on a housing estate of 10 houses, house built in and around 2006.

Starting to get a bit concerned about some of the cracks appearing in the house, stair like cracks on outside and inside and cracking on chimney. Also house was painted 4 years ago and he sealed all the existing cracks at that stage, So think any we see now are new.

We also have issues with cracked floor tiles in the bathrooms, kitchen window not shutting properly as it seems to be warping a bit now.

A neighbour is trying to get hold of the builder to try find out more information on where the blocks may have come from.

He was also telling me about getting an engineers report done that could confirm if the house has a mica problem or not, costing just under a grand but it would cost several grand if the house has mica to get the full laboratory test done. (really not sure how reliable this is?)

Anyway im thinking I might hang tight for a while, and see what comes out from the discussions in the next few weeks.

Is this mica test outside of the one through the scheme? If so, I'd be careful about getting it done, as knowing Donegal Coco, they are likely not to recognise it and demand you get another done within the scheme.

Just something to consider before spending big money on a test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I've a feeling that's going to become a common theme. Only certain engineers, certain contractors and certain builders can do the work. Means you not only can't really shop around for quotes but you have to wait for them to be available.

Advertisement