Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

We asked already. Schedule not changing. It’s only a couple of weeks away and like I say hopefully the weather holds till I’m fully done. And my even bigger hope is that once we get everyone a vaccine that wants one, we abandon this pass nonsense and get back to a rational approach to drinking/dining, and heaven forbid,don’t extend it into other areas of everyday life !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm not following the heatstroke "jibe" - feel free to clarify. I was just quoting the slogans of some of the blithering idiots at yesterday's protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The Department of Health has confirmed 1,126 new cases of Covid-19. There are 123 people in hospital, up 18, and 22 people in ICU, up one.

These case numbers now seem flat and apart from a bit of a rise in admissions still no great alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Given its the weekend, I wouldn't be too concerned about those hospital numbers. Case and icu numbers seem stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

You are fighting enemies which do not exist in the main outside of the online circus.

Not everyone who declines the vaccine or is uncomfortable with the passport ideas are the same as the lunatics who turn up at the gamma o'doherty protests.

There are many people who are uncomfortable with the vaccines and if they don't want one then that is their right.

The coercive techniques being employed at the moment are unlikely to change their minds.

Edit: also, I never mentioned discrimination in my previous post. You inserted that in there in your rage and anger. It kinda illustrated what I am talking about.

There are a lot of people fighting windmills at the moment. On both sides of the argument.

• Advertisement

Has the antigen testing not failed utterly in europe,and they've had to bring back some restrictions though??

If we held off reopenibg 3 to 4 weeks (imo thats what shpuld been done)

these vaxxine passports wouldnt be an issue,the folks who've gotten the AZ vaccine have been kinda shafted,but should be done inside the month

Ultimately those who dont want the vaccine for them,or their kids as too risky/whatever reason (mostly understandable)....have to ultimately live with consequences and the curtailment of social activities/,holidays until pandemic petters out,likely mid to late 2022..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I don't know where you are getting "rage and anger" from - the only people I see raging and angry are the ones shouting into megaphones in Dublin city centre.

Most of the rest of us just wanted to be protected from your choices and frankly don't care all that much about what your views are. For a group who are very clear about how little they care about everyone else, the anti-vaxxers seem to be very upset about how little everyone else care about them.

Tbf unvaxxinated kids shouldnt be let indoors dining either...its a farce

Tbf the cinema and gym requiring vax cards/passports is likely coming down the track anyway......shops most people dont spend normally more than 30 mins when food shopping

The finer points of the irish constitution allow for serious state oversight into many aspects of life and property ownership here...we also allow an offences againest state act for a war over with quarter of a century,which is farcial in what it allows

Agreed on the unvaccinated children.

I think the risk to a general lifting of all restrictions is Winter, and a possible resurgence of the virus because of the environmental factors at that time. Israeli data is suggesting that people there who got vaccinated in January are largely losing their antibody protection (this is to be expected, we will still have slower-acting memory cells), and so we may need to roll out boosters for the most vulnerable people over the next few months. I could see a vaccine cert being required for many activities until Spring of next year. Large parts of Europe seem to be heading towards vaccine passports, and many are rolling back reopenings and restricting them only to vaccinated people who are less likely to spread the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭arctictree

Certainly looks like the daily numbers are levelling out. Yet even a few days ago we had experts in the media saying we are heading into a period of exponential growth...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I was working in my shop in Howth this weekend and it was the 1st weekend since March 2020 that there felt a felt a constant stream of fun and freedom in the air.

A nice amount of tourists about too. People acting sensibly and enjoying life. Long may it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Never knew indoor dining was such a big thing, never much appealed to me (they're crying out for candlelit steak n chips) .......boozers can take or leave no big deal not much of a drinker these days

First world problems pfft

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Well if it doesn't affect a random internet user I suddenly don't see what all the fuss has been about.

I got the AZ vaccine and certainly don't feel shafted. Why would I?

I think we could have done with better communication at explaining that the reason for the long delay in the AZ first and second vaccine is because a long gap gives much better protection with this type of vaccine. The mRNA vaccines use a different technology and a shorter gap seems to work better. There seems to have been a lot of "why are we waiting so long to get my AZ second-dose those with Pfizer get theirs within 4 weeks", as if it is a scheduling issue when all along the plan was for a delay.

Maybe could been clearer,folks who gotten one and still waiting on a second one....would likely be full vaxxinated now,if they held off for the other vaccines?

Hence the line saying:they should be done inside the month??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Nope this random internet user don't matter much...no more than that random internet user

but like I said first world problems

Well surely if the vaccinated older person doesnt feel happy eating their dinner with unvaccinated people then maybe they should stay at home.

This dreadful treatment of young people will have payback time for us all.

There is no reason why we couldnt have used antigen tests to allow everyone to eat and drink indoors, we could have done this last March, here we are at the end of july debating citizens sitting in starbucks.

Old people have no right to demand that any business keep young people out so they can feel safe, young people have given up 18 months of their lives and this is the payback.

Its not three weeks either, the johnson vaccine supplies are gone, if its pfizer you arent fully vaccinated for four weeks.

Every single young person who I know graduating this year are voting with their feet, they are moving to other European countries so we will be left with a country full of mollycoddled grey haired oldies, thats very depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

No generation have ever been as mollycoddled as todays youth. Molluycoddled grey haired oldies indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am an oldie and don’t ever remember demanding that business keep younger people out . I didn’t make the rules .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,528 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You do realise graduates were imigrating en masse for a year or two before covid? Pay was generally to awful and rents too high to allow for savings. Could get better wages, pay less rent and actually make savings.

Why is it that those complaining about the covid response on the youth dont seem to know how fúcked over the young were pre-covid?

Its because of covid these twenty two year olds are going.

They can see other countries using every means at their disposal including antigen tests to return to some sort of normal. We are paralysed with caution here and if we cant even sit in a cafe with a cup of tea at the height of the summer what is October going to be like. Our health service is dire and as long as nothing changes there we are going to have the threat of restrictions hanging over us.

The young people are right to plan a future elsewhere, they deserve a quality of life and shouldnt be asked to sacrifice their happiness to protect a health service from the burden of sick elderly people with underlying conditions, this is so unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,528 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Do you blame covid for the 22 year olds to leave in 2018 and 2019? This isnt new but it is amusing to see people try to act like it is.

This whinging about a few weeks delay to get an indoor pint or dinner is childish. People need to grow up, we are in a pandemic, it's not over yet, and businesses are trying to survive.

I know full well too that a lot of the noise being generated is by hard-core anti-vaxxers who see this as a wedge issue - it's not young people waiting for their vaccine who are threatening to burn down pubs which open. There's also potentially some sharp practices going on with certain pubs who conveniently have large outdoor areas talking about how they "will not facilitate discrimination".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Just a few weeks folks, to flatten the curve.

But how long do you want children to be treated like lepers, seriously, you definitely must not have children.

There is no firm plan to vaccinate children, why are we even referring to them as unvaccinated.

one of the great joys in life in three generations of family spending time together enjoying a meal.

How are children going to learn how to behave in restaurants if they atent allowed in.

Are they to be permanently banned or is it only till we have 90 per cent of the adults vaccinated.

If we use antigen tests on children can they go into McDonalds for a Mc Flurry, seriously just how far are we taking this.

Children can sit in a cinema all day but they shouldnt be allowed to sit in a pub with Granny, this is a never ending nightmare, I am tempted to join the next protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Don't worry, they will soon be closing the cinema loophole as well.

I remember this thread a year ago and there were some posters going on about how we might never have vaccines. One prominent poster was posting claptrap about young people never again having social contact and how the human race was going to die out.

If there is one thing this pandemic has taught us, it's that planning longer than a few weeks or months in advance is largely a waste of time, and so is mistaking short-term measures with some sort of long-term plan. It's not "treating children like lepers" and we are not losing "one of the great joys of life" - we're talking about a series of short-term measures to allow businesses to reopen safely while we vaccinate 60,000 people a day and win the fight against this new variant.

Something new might happen over the next few weeks (good or bad), and I expect we will also react to that. There is some hope that Delta waves might be ending in a few countries already, and if that is replicated here we could be looking at a relatively rapid lifting of restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Are you actually serious? Have always thought you had a balanced yet (IMO) slightly conservative view however this is beyond that.

Children are not vectors, nor do they get sick. They weren't a threat in an unvaccinated world so they certainly aren't a threat to a vaccinated older generation. Anyone suggesting that children are all of a sudden are a threat have gone off the deep end.

• Advertisement

We don't know that. We know they are less likely to get infected or severely ill, but children do get infected (are you aware of school outbreaks at all?), some do get sick, and the health authorities may make the decision to vaccinate certain age groups. The government is taking a chance by allowing them into indoors locations and they know it. You are the one who used the word "threat", not me.

Advertisement