Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sabre Man wrote: »
    I don't have CCS (yet) or dual chargers, only a single 11 kW onboard charger. Is yours 16 kW?

No I have the dual 3 phase chargers, so I get 23kW :-)

So I can charge at up to 23kW on AC, 45kW on CCS on the old ESB chargers, 130kW on the new fast CCS chargers (ESB / Ionity) and just over 100kW on SuC

If you find it difficult to justify going for the CCS upgrade, you could sell your CHAdeMO cable second hand. They are quite valuable still, so it should generate funds that would pay significantly towards doing the CCS upgrade, which is discounted to €299 at the moment, but that could go back up to €499 at any time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

unkel wrote: »

So I can charge at up to 23kW on AC, 45kW on CCS on the old ESB chargers, 130kW on the new fast CCS chargers (ESB / Ionity) and just over 100kW on SuC

If you find it difficult to justify going for the CCS upgrade, you could sell your CHAdeMO cable second hand. They are quite valuable still, so it should generate funds that would pay significantly towards doing the CCS upgrade, which is discounted to €299 at the moment, but that could go back up to €499 at any time

I think I will keep my Chademo adapter as it may come in handy at a fast charge point in the future. I may be wrong, but when there have been issues with FCPs it's usually CCS charging that has been affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

True, and it gives an option to charge if the 50kW and the ccs on the 150kW is in use - you can charge on the chademo on the hpc. I've done this.
    I think the chademo adapter is a good backup to have, and if you're between 65 and 80% SOC at a 50kW charger I find the chademo charger goes 2-4 kW faster.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    I think I will keep my Chademo adapter as it may come in handy at a fast charge point in the future. I may be wrong, but when there have been issues with FCPs it's usually CCS charging that has been affected.

Well if you can afford it, keep your CHAdeMO and get the CCS conversion. Remember the fastest way to charge your car in Ireland is at all those new ESB fast chargers and Ionity (all of them are CCS only) - faster than the Tesla Superchargers!!!

The problems with the old triple head chargers if they work isn't so much that there is a problem with the CCS, it's more likely that someone in a Leaf started charging on CHAdeMO kicking your CCS connection off :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It will also be handy on the new eCars high power unit as you can use the CHAdeMO if someone using the CCS.

This adapter was Tesla's initial fast charging solution (prior to SuC) to gain access to the Nissan Leaf geared network but is slowly fading in relevance here.
    UK quite different as they have a lot of free CHAdeMO and lots of non-CCS Model S.

I don't have one and it would need to be much much cheaper for me to buy one as it's something that's just handy to have and really does not justify the current price

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    I don't have one and it would need to be much much cheaper for me to buy one as it's something that's just handy to have and really does not justify the current price

You really don't need it in Ireland. If I had one, I would sell it (into the UK). Like you say, these are still worth silly money over there.

That said, if I could buy one for under €100, I probably would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I'm happy to lend my Chademo adapter to members of the Tesla Owners Ireland group on Facebook. I've only ever needed to use it once.

If you're buying a 30-50k used model S, 100-400€ for the chademo adapter for the ease it gives, is worth it IMO, and I will be buying another one when I'm back in the fold. As well as the CCS adapter, MCU update etc if not already done. I dont intend ever selling my next Tesla so a few hundred quid on a backup and an upgrade is well worth it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

That said, if I could buy one for under €100, I probably would.

And then sell it to the UK for 300...

graememk wrote: »
    And then sell it to the UK for 300...
    And buy 2 more with the profits and keep one, sell the other.
    The unkel method of getting something for free.

• Advertisement

Haha, you're not wrong :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

+1
    I sold my Chademo adaptor for €220 recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

Good evening all, apologies if this has already been asked (boards search not giving me any success) but what is the story with puncture repair on the Tesla model S? Is there a special procedure or can I bring it to any run off the mill tyre place and get a picture repaired? Do I need to reset the sensor or anything after? Thanks in advance

mickotoole wrote: »
    Good evening all, apologies if this has already been asked (boards search not giving me any success) but what is the story with puncture repair on the Tesla model S? Is there a special procedure or can I bring it to any run off the mill tyre place and get a picture repaired? Do I need to reset the sensor or anything after? Thanks in advance

The TPMS resets automatically.
    I’ve had punctures plugged in my local garage. Normal €10 repairs. No difference.

Gumbo wrote: »
    The TPMS resets automatically.
    I’ve had punctures plugged in my local garage. Normal €10 repairs. No difference.
    Cheers Gumbo. I'll visit my local tyre center tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Making a trip down to west Cork in a couple of week so have scheduled a CCS conversion. The Cork SC makes this a no-brainer now.

My S got a software update yesterday, haven't noticed anything new

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

I haven’t gotten an update in months, not even the 2021 map update. No love for MCUv1 any more, legacy after 3 years :-(

To be fair, it doesn’t sound like anyone is getting any decent updates anymore so I assume most of the dev effort is going on FSD. It’s hard to fault that approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

Had a look at this S today https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/tesla/model-s/fpa/202107034580066 - in very good condition - but came away with one query: the screen doesn't mention Enhanced Autopilot just Autopilot safety features; is it possible to "turn on" enhanced autopilot through Tesla - and what is the difference between having it and not having it? I presume it still has some self driving elements?

Many thanks 👍️

• Advertisement

€73k is a lot of money for a 3.5 year old (non Performance) Model S that will be out of full manufacturer's warrany soon (battery and drivetrain warranty is 8 years). Basically the extras of Enhanced Autopilot are summon and auto park. They would be of little practical use to most people. And even if it had EAP, if you would ever consider upgrading to Full Self Driving, the hardware in that car is too old (HW2 or HW2.5) and you would have to pay to have it upgraded

I thought Tesla would upgrade to APv3 if you purchased FSD (outright, not on subscription).

Not that I’m in any way suggesting anyone in Ireland purchase FSD, especially when it’s not transferable to a new car.

Yes you are correct, markbp. Not many people did buy FSD back 3-4 years ago over here (Ireland / UK) though

It is transferable to a new car though afaik. Except perhaps when you buy second hand from Tesla as they will probably take it away 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭carloscorreia

Marques Brownlee first impressions of the Plaid model

It’s transferable to a new owner in some circumstances. It’s never transferable to a new car. If you pay for it now and it takes years to materialise in Europe, you either have to keep the car until then or pay for it again if you buy another Tesla.

Yes sorry markpb, I rushed my post. Meant to say it's transferable to the new owner (unless it is sold via Tesla)

Agree that it is madness in Europe to pay €10k for FSD. It is very restricted as is over here and even in the USA it is still in beta and for a select few testers only.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

I ran down to my local Lido this morning for milk I noticed a lovely white Tesla 211C charging so went over for a look ,lovely car. Anyway this was 9am and the Lidl charger showed it had pulled 24.8kw anyone guess what time it must have started charging ??

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

Lidl chargers give out 11kw an hour, so just over 2 hours

Went to unlock the car today and all the door handles presented themselves except the drivers door handle. I can hear the motor whirring but nothing moving. I've a mobile service scheduled for Thursday for a css upgrade. Tried to look into adding this to the service but don't have the option as I've got a service call already scheduled. Anyone have a similar issue and can point me in the direction of a fix? Also was in Doolin at the weekend and bumped into a Tesla owner on Wednesday and another one at birdhill supercharger today. Anyone here in doolin or birdhill that I may have been chatting with?

• Advertisement

Phone the service centre first thing in the morning, it's a common fault and good news is they no longer have spares for V1 or V2 handles so you'll get an entire new V3 assembly and can be done by Ranger visit, takes a good hour excluding firmware update

Advertisement