Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

We used them for two purchases and very thorough report, great communication throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Another vote for Property Health Check, used them a few times - expensive but very thorough, well worth it IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

Yes, pre-closing walkthrough is fairly standard & is a good way to ensure things you asked for were actually done like clearing out the attic etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

They do some minor opening up works where as most surveys are visual only. Some estate agents will refuse to allow them access as they have history of damage as a result of their opening up works.

I'm surprised to hear that, to be honest if an EA was refusing any surveyor access it would set alarm bells for me.

When we bought for a second time I was hesitant to use them again as they were a couple of hundred more than the next quote we got, but it is the most expensive purchase of your life, it's worth gathering as much information as possible to ensure you're not buying a house with expensive issues to remediate - or at least if you are, you know it in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

picked up my keys on Tuesday, hasn't really sunk in yet, a lot of stuff to do, house itself is in great nick, but sorting out furniture and stuff will be my new stress, makes a change from 12 months stressing out over actually buying a house, feels weird spending my money now after years of saving, will be a few weeks until i get settled that it will really hit home that its mine, only took me 40 years to get to this point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

So we're still waiting on the vendor solicitors replies to the pre-contract enquiries. The vendors solicitors say they sent them, our solicitors say they didn't receive them (over 2 weeks now since our solicitor went back to them, very basic technicality queries).

We and the vendors are teaming up to keep the pressure on solicitors on both sides to get things going, vendors are going mad because the house they're buying is empty now and they're ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've used Property Health Check as well. Was very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

You'd think so!

I rang our solicitors this morning to see if there was any update from the vendors and I just got a snipey response saying we don't have to ring them every day looking for news, that they'll let us know once there's an update. They contacted the vendors solicitors yesterday and are waiting for a reply.

We're paying them a small fortune for the biggest purchase of our lives. I really don't care if my 30 second phone call is an inconvenience to them.

• Advertisement

Congratulations, I've seen you posting a lot on this thread over the time I've been following it myself, it is a great feeling to finally have the keys in hand isn't it. Enjoy your new home!

Coming into my 3rd week now of "final checks" with PTSB. They've confirmed to solicitor and broker that they have everything. Has anyone known the drawdown process to take so long? Its infuriating, and worrying as the vendors are eccentric to say the least, and threatening to pull out given the length of time it is taking....though it would not be logical to do so, I believe that they would. So a third weekend of worry, courtesy of PTSB

Our buyers were with them and the closing date came and went without the funds being released, it took almost 2 weeks after the closing date for their final checks to be finalised and I've no idea how long before the closing date those checks were ongoing. It was maddening but we would never have pulled out over it, they'd be mad to do that this close to the finish line.

In our case as buyers ourselves using KBC, I contacted them on twitter and they gave me a direct phone number to the drawdown team who were extremely helpful and gave me precise days that X would happen. Maybe there is a similar contact number for PTSB? Twitter is usually a good place to get a fast response from businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Maybe someone can share their experience:

1. what point in the sale is the seller expected to empty the house ? (guess I am asking when is it safe for the seller to do so)

2. am I right assuming empty houses are more difficult to sell ?

Thanks.

It depends on their own circumstances surely; if they're in a chain then they most likely have to wait until their next house is available, and if they're reliant on the sale of their current house to fund their next purchase, well they'd have to close the sale before they can close the purchase.. in some instances this happens on the same day. We emptied ours and put everything into storage to meet the buyers closing date as we didn't want to risk losing them while we waited for our next house to get through probate. Every circumstance is different.

If the house is unoccupied they may have it 'staged' for sale with some furniture, but that can be removed whenever they think it necessary. The house we bought was unoccupied but the vendors left a small amount of furniture in it until a week or two before we closed.

I would imagine an empty house is easier to sell in that potential buyers see the vendor is not in need of alternative accommodation before they can close a sale. Rooms also look bigger without furniture in them. Why would you think they're more difficult to sell?

think its based on my experience, tbh: in past I view-ed few second hand houses which looked deserted when the tenants moved out, no furniture left - those houses didn't have much appeal in my view. not even sure I would have bought my house if I'd only seen it empty tbh (but maybe its personal).

guess I should organize storage to slowly bring my stuff into... but would be keeping the house mostly furnished till the contracts are progressed.

Are you moving to another property nearby/in the same country? If so, your solicitor can arrange for the closing date to suit you in line with your next home. This would avoid any need for storage.

thanks ... yeah, I picked up on that. think "no storage" would not apply to me (planning to spend some time abroad with my extended family between houses); so my interest now is to maximize what can be done while waiting for the sale to go through tbh.

All this waiting is killing me. Into the 3rd week of our solicitor waiting for replies to his pre-contract enquiries from the vendor solicitors. The vendor solicitors told the vendors (who we're in touch with) that they sent the replies early last week, our solicitors say they haven't received anything. They then contacted the vendors solicitors again...and are still waiting for a reply. 🙄

Our solicitor has been on leave last week and this week so dunno if that's delaying things.

Were given a provisional closing date of August 3rd but don't see that happening now :(

UPDATE: I knew if I ranted loudly enough anonymously on a dying message forum I'd get results. Got an email that the contracts are ready to be signed!!!😁

Post edited by Busi_Girl08 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭standardg60

Good to hear, and well done on the solicitor hounding.

I imagine a combination of the good weather and the site transferring has had an affect on the number of posts. Things will be back to normal once the dark evenings start to rear their ugly heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

I got a quote of €620 from them yesterday. Does that seem reasonable?

How much should I expect to be paying for a structural survey?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

When buying a new build is it advisable to get a Structural Building Regulations Review (such as those offered by Property Health Check) and a snagger seperately?

I think we paid between €450-€550 although I can't remember exactly. I imagine it varies by the size of the property; ours is a 3 bed terrace with front and back gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I paid 576 for a 3 bed terraced house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Back to square one for us. Were looking at a house in co. Kildare. We put in the highest offer by 10k but seller went with all cash offer😥

The horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Iris11111

Are you with our solicitor by any chance? Same situation here- waiting for pre contract questions to be answered and is forever. Rang them - got a lecture their time is precious. And just waiting and waiting and waiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DubLad69

Are you saying that you rang your solicitor and got lecture about their time being precious? The person who you are paying for their time?

I would contact another solicitor in that case and transfer the purchase over to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Ya ours is a 4 bed with an extension in Laois.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭covidcustomer

This makes me so mad. Sorry, but it does. Your time is precious too and you're actually paying the solicitor for their time. Do not let them lecture you. These pre contract questions are basically the same questions for each sale, sure they may vary on occasion, but they're standard, I closed the purchase of my home in under 6 weeks from viewing to getting the keys. I hounded my solicitor and their solicitor. Keep pushing, don't feel as if you're being a nuisance, you're not, you're well within your rights to question how they're handling this.

Advertisement