Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Craig_David

How soon after the 4 week period have people been getting the second jab of Pfizer?

Trying to plan ahead for a holiday. Had the first jab 2 weeks ago.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

8 week gap the "sweet spot" - does that mean our 4 week gap is not optimal now....

Hard to see how it's likely. There will definitely be more variants after Delta. There can be no doubt about that. But all the evidence so far suggests that protection from severe disease is preserved across all known variants.

Immune escape is a gradual process over time and as you say there is some debate over whether full escape is even possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The range is 28-42 days according to the manufacturers so protection from 28 days. That study is small and interesting to research more rather than something to base a vaccination programme on. Delta suggest we should be doing it all ASAP anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

It's 21 days between Pfizer jabs but can be longer. I got mine on day 25. Then it's 7 days after that when they say you're protected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Just a little point of correction, valid dosing interval is as little as 17 days. Lots of people now are getting appointments 18-20 days after their first. So while there might be question about slightly lesser benefit mid long term with such a short interval , people shouldnt be lead to believe that the interval is invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

correct, my dose 2 mrna vaccine is 18 days. very surprised its so early, assumed it would be roughly 4 weeks with the chance it might be in the 24-27 day range.

I imagine the quick turnaround is due demand and supply in my region as opposed any drop off in demand nationally.

I hope the 12-15 year olds are able to get doses organised in schools, like dose one end of august on d first week back then dose 2 mid september if the supply is there for them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

More recent good news on the ability of even one dose to prevent serious illness, it is less effective at preventing transmission though.

https://www.pmlive.com/pharma_news/one_dose_of_azs_covid-19_vaccine_highly_effective_against_severe_disease_from_variants_1373510

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Does anyone know would it be much trouble for someone to turn up at a vaccination a day or two earlier than scheduled?

I’m due my second vaccination in the swords centre, received first in Helix.

The Swords centre is very difficult I’ll for me to access but will have an opportunity to go with a neighbour this week but 2 days before I’m scheduled for.

Will I be turned away?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

I wonder if they plan to open up for people to get a second vaccine eg. one dose of Pfizer to 'boost' the immunity from a previous two dose of AZ or one dose of J&J, once they've gotten through everyone who registered and there are spares sitting around in fridges, particularly for those in a high risk group.

The studies seemed to suggest that getting a dose of mRNA after having one of the viral vector vaccines was extremely potent and effective, moreso than either of the vaccines alone. I'd personally be very keen to get a dose of mRNA for additional peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Recent experience in our household regarding vaccines and Covid - both myself and my wife fully vaccinated about 4 weeks ago (Moderna for me and Astra Zeneca for the missus, both of us in our early 50's).

My 18 year old son got the J&J shot 2 and a half weeks ago but actually contracted Covid at a house party 7 days after getting the shot. He had symptoms last weekend, got tested on Monday, came back positive and we have been self isolating since. However, he was a very close contact with both of us for at least 3 days before he was confirmed. Since then, neither of us have shown any symptoms and are perfectly fine. He is now recovering well and should be grand in a few days.

My conclusion - vaccines worked to prevent myself and my wife contracting Covid at all and my son has only displayed mild symptoms so all is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would say quite likely you would be turned away, yes. I'm not sure I've heard of any people turning up on a different day and still getting vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Well there'd want to be some plan of boosters for those who got fully vaccinated from March/April onwards, will it be go to a community care centre, GP, or a downscaled version of MVC?

Maybe there are plans though?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I would definitely try , explain your difficulty in getting there and why you have come earlier than scheduled

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

My brother in-law was meant to have done 2 this Tuesday but was meant to be away. So he called to the centre on Thursday last in an attempt to re-schedule (I’m genuinely not sure how he thought this would be possible), but instead they just gave him the jab on the spot. So, I would think it’d be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

If a vaccine resistant variant and a variant with more severe outcomes is unlikely, it does beg the question then as to what new tricks new variants of Covid can bring? Can new variants become even more transmittable than Delta?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

IMO its as transmissible as it will be. Delta is getting around all known lockdowns (see Australia). So the next random mutation will be one that has some immune escape. Probably not that much, but maybe something that gets the virus to secrete something that confuses the immune system - viruses do that anyway.

The spike, which vaccines target, can't change much more, or it just won't work.

That said, being vaccinated and then coming into contact with COVID.... maybe more antibodies which target the rest of the virus are generated. Thats not known yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭pgj2015

That is the big problem now, young people going to house parties. no cop on. hopefully they don't get long covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Ah here. This is going on since March '20. You can't blame young people wanting to do what young people have always done. I can't imagine when I was that age I would have avoided house parties for such a long period of time. What we can hope for is that the vaccine take up amongst the young is high to reduce the risk to them.

Yes I can blame them. They are thick to be going to house parties and not even vaccinated. yes we all like a party but you have to use your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

We need more good news stories like this.

However my question is, this was in a household with all members vaccinated including the person who caught it.

Would it or is it possible that vaccinated people can get symptoms if let's say they were in contact with a non-vaccinated person?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭User1998

Do you have a link to this? I can’t find it anywhere.

I recovered from Covid a little over 6 months ago and received my first dose of Pfizer yesterday. Does anyone know if I am now considered fully vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I have to agree.

We're only weeks away from those who want vaccines, being vaccinated. Would it hurt them to HD on a little bit more.

Every part of society has lost out the last 18 months. The young, the old. Particularly the old who don't have long left to make up for 18 months lost...

And yes, I've a young lad of 19. Had been online in college and working right through. Meets a few friends who keep it to their bubble, always outdoors, get a bag of chips. They are not prepared to get lomg Covid and have cop on.

"Ah ya have to feel sorry for the young people bla bla bla". load of bull. as you said its hard on everyone. The young people having house parties are as bad as the ones having 300 at funerals during a pandemic. lets stop making excuses for the young people. they need to man up like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It was the non young people who:

Lost parents due to covid, restricted funerals, no visiting for nursing homes. Nursing home residents loosing their friends without saying goodbye.

Fathers not being present for their child's birth, mothers going through it without their partner.

Hospital patients not having any visitors, people waiting for elective surgery that was cancelled (both mainly affect the non-youngungs)

God there's so more. The elderly suffered more than people realize. But all we hear is young people not being able to go to a pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

They may do this. However, at some stage the idea of a vaccine slightly reformulated for variants is going to arise and a booster like that would be likely very good.Not sure on the timescale of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pfizer have developed a Delta specific booster and will apply to CDC / EMA within weeks for EUA. They are commencing a 10k trial on it round about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Pfizer are about the only ones very keen on boosters and money is a great motivator. Otherwise there is just political talk of it and nobody knows who it will apply to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

All throughout the pandemic there has been a tendency for politicians / health bodies / regulatory bodies to have their pronouncements grounded in the short term while science is thinking ahead.

We’ll complete our current vaccination programme in ~October. It will make sense at that point to start again.

Advertisement