Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rugby and Sevens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

USA are beatable, as evidenced by the recent practice tournament. If it is three pool winners and best runner up Ireland could definitely make a semi. Thats a decent crack at a medal.

It’s top 2 and two best 3rd placers into quarter finals.

5 wins needed for a medal

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Haven't watched their team for a while, but a few years back Kenya could upset any team on their day - by no means a gimme.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,583 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Pretty sure Collins injera is still going good... Class player.

We've beaten them in 2 of the last 4 meetings, drawing another... And on that time we've got a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Ireland would be favourites on form but they have the quality to upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,371 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There's no easy game there. USA are capable of winning the tournament, so are South Africa. Kenya are very dangerous as s counter attacking side with speed to burn.
    Ireland have looked very impressive though and we are equally as capable as the others of winning the group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

3 Fidjian players coming from XV for Olympics

Again we should do the same. Wootton knows how to play Sevens, 1 or 2 other wingers would do very well, better than our current bench, behind our 5/6 starters

• Subscribers Posts: 41,583 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

connachta wrote: »
    3 Fidjian players coming from XV for Olympics

Again we should do the same. Wootton knows how to play Sevens, 1 or 2 other wingers would do very well, better than our current bench, behind our 5/6 starters

What one or two other wingers?

sydthebeat wrote:
    What one or two other wingers?

Peter Sullivan from Connacht and Shane Daly from Munster would be two examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Squad would need to be announced in the next few days I'd expect. I wouldn't be anticipating any surprises or 15s call ins. It's different for the Fijians, those players will have grown up playing 7s, our players have very much learned the game over the last few years. Bringing in 15s players wouldn't have a positive impact for us.

Squad would need to be announced in the next few days I'd expect. I wouldn't be anticipating any surprises or 15s call ins. It's different for the Fijians, those players will have grown up playing 7s, our players have very much learned the game over the last few years. Bringing in 15s players wouldn't have a positive impact for us.
    The two I mention above have both played sevens for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Hugo Keenan is a good flyhalf in 7s. I wonder could he recondition himself for 7s in time for the Oylmpics.

Who's the flyhalf at the moment? Greg O'Shea, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Squad announcement today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Even if it was a good idea, with the Lions unavailable as it is to start the season I can't see them allowing anyone to play 7s and messing up the pre-season even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,040 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

eagle eye wrote: »
    The two I mention above have both played sevens for Ireland.

Been a while since they have and they're not going to be added at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Been a while since they have and they're not going to be added at this stage.

Fidjians playing XV stopped 7s for a while too and come back
    S.Daly and Wootton (or other who practiced a bit and proved to be great wingers) are talented enough to slot in (on the bench)
    A.Sexton has been included for exemple

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Mike Lowry would be a good 7’s player I’d imagine.

Or Caolin Blade maybe.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Squad for Tokyo announced

Team Ireland Sevens Team
    Jordan Conroy
    Billy Dardis
    Ian Fitzpatrick
    Foster Horan
    Jack Kelly
    Terry Kennedy
    Adam Leavy
    Hugo Lennox
    Harry McNulty
    Gavin Mullin
    Greg O’Shea
    Mark Roche
    Bryan Mollen

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2021/07/06/team-ireland-rugby-sevens-squad-named-for-tokyo-2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Squad for Tokyo announced

Team Ireland Sevens Team
    Jordan Conroy
    Billy Dardis
    Ian Fitzpatrick
    Foster Horan
    Jack Kelly
    Terry Kennedy
    Adam Leavy
    Hugo Lennox
    Harry McNulty
    Gavin Mullin
    Greg O’Shea
    Mark Roche
    Bryan Mollen

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2021/07/06/team-ireland-rugby-sevens-squad-named-for-tokyo-2020/

Shame for Arron sexton would have been nice to have possibly the two fastest players on our side but obviously he wasn't worth the risk, he barely got on the field in Monaco. Defense and positioning must have been an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

South Africa men's 7s, who are in Ireland's pool, have been taken to a quarantine hotel in Tokyo after a passenger on their flight tested positive for Covid on arrival. In theory they could be held there for 14 days, which would take them right up to the day of their game against Ireland, but presumably if they continue to test negative they will be allowed out much sooner than that. Not ideal for them though.

Reminder of kick off times for our games

Fixtures

vs. South Africa, Monday at 3am

vs. USA, Monday at 10.30am

vs. Kenya, Tuesday at 3am

QFs are also on Tuesday, with the SFs and final/placing games on Wednesday

Post edited by Lost Ormond on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Think the first game is on at 1 am (an hours time) and the US game at 8:30 am

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Olympics app says the schedule is as Lost Ormond says, Fiji v Japan is listed as the first match at 1am and then a match every half hour after that and we're 4 matches after the first

• Registered Users Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I was going by the BBC which says first game at 1am. (says all first games start at 1

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/scores-fixtures

Schedule i have listed is right. you are correct the first game of tournament is 1am but times i listed is right for the irish games with kick off at 3am and 10.30am

No thats completely wrong. Its same as any 7s event. games played on 1 pitch and played after each other. that has 2 sets of 6 games being played simultaneously. never going to happen

Fijians have a real savage jersey!!

Japan giving them a big scare in opening game. leading 14-12 at half time

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its on BBC One

Japan will be kicking themselves over that. Absolutely should have won

Advertisement