Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The Bould Nigel's MP was elected as a Tory tho, then defected. So zero parliamentary success for his candidates is a fair comment IMO.

The only reason he had any success is PR elections for the EU, and on the local council front the UKIP/Brexit party gaining protest votes that never translated into parliamentary support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its great that all the usual suspects from the Trump Bashing thread have successfully migrated over to this thread.

Still using the same ganging up on posters and shooting off on tangents tactic I see.

I never envisioned the success this thread would have when I started it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

And Euroscepticism has been around since Nige was a young jack the lad in short pants, with so many possibilities of a noble path ahead of him. The way some folk go in here, you'd swear he invented it himself and ploughed a lone furrow all those years before single handedly delivering the big prize in 2016. Delusion doesn't even begin to cover it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So they should just be mindless sports drones? What a weird thing to say.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,297 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Farage and UKIP definitely had an effect on causing the Brexit referendum. Their pulls from Tory voters helped cause in-fighting between the Tories and caused Cameron to go for a referendum on the issue.

However, the idea that Farage was actually responsible for it is ludicrous. There was already a strong and growing anti-EU contingent, made worse by years of austerity following the recession which worsened anti-EU and anti-immigration rhetoric which Farage and UKIP jumped on. Not to mention the lies and misinformation by the Leave campaign.

Crediting Farage with Brexit after his 30 years of campaigning for it completely ignores the vast number of other factors.

He's only ever been elected as an MEP by anti-EU voters in order to disrupt the UK's EU membership. He's never been elected as an MP because even most anti-EU voters would never want him having any power in their own constituency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

telling someone that their **** opinions are **** is not ganging up on somebody. Perhaps the imbalance of the number of posters for/against GB News is a reflection of the disdain for it. Or perhaps the silent majority have decided to remain silent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What are the odds on GBnews surviving. From what I can remember of Trumps final days his fans love "looking at the bookies"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

lol I'm thinking of amending Ghandis maxim for the boards.ie politics forum refugees:

"First they ignore you

Then they laugh at you

Then they attack you

Then you win

Then they pretend that you had no effect"

I'll just keep quoting these posts where there's an attempt to claim a footballer is a more noteworthy public figure in the UK than Nigel Farage so normal people can see how deep the weirdness goes. You should probably describe Ratchford as "beloved" to complete to Twitter hyperbole trifecta. 😂

• Advertisement

In the past 18 months, Marcus Rashford formed and spearheaded a public campaign to force the government into a u-turn to provide meals to underprivileged children, then another to make the government pledge to provide funds to help tackle food and poverty throughout the UK.

Farage set up a Cameo account and occasionally tips out on a boat off the UK coast to shout at immigrants.

It's pointless discussing which is more well known under which circumstances etc, as there are far too many variables to judge them on. But Marcus Rashford is undoubtedly a noteworthy public figure for his charitable and campaigning works outside of his football career, and in the last 18 months has been instrumental in affecting changes to public policy. That's undeniable.

Funny enough soccer players like Rashford get told to shut up and stick to what you are best at

But

City of London bankers with a right wing persuasion like Farage never get told to shut up and stick to banking

Rashford shamed the british government into feeding children that might not otherwise get fed. He has done more to benefit society than Farage will ever do.

Cool story. So in this partiparticular fantasy, Farage is the Mahatma Gandhi of the brexit freedom movement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"Ratchford".

This is another issue the GBNews Denizens have, the inability to actually know anything about what they are trying to talk about.

I do like the tactic of being deliberately literal and obtuse to try and manufacture a point. It seems quite popular in some circles online these days, I mainly enjoy it because people think its clever when it actually makes them look a bit slow on the uptake.

Don't worry lads mad, Nigel the Eurosceptic MEPs place in annals of British history is assured and Brexit hasnt even fully played out across Europe yet. There could be another paragraph in him.

how are them food shortages working out in Britain? a resounding success.

It'd be even better for Farage fans if that troublesome soccer player didnt go around feeding the poor.

Guess thats why they dislike him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Marcus Rashford, National treasure perhaps ?

In fairness to Rashford, he is a very decent guy and does alot of charity work.

From a personal point of view as a Manchester Utd fan I'd prefer if he focussed more on the onfield exploits instead of offfield.

He needs to work on his finishing and composure in front of goal as like alot of English players he hasnt developed as a footballer.

He has been poor on the field in the last year and a half.

• Advertisement

So, the summary appears to be: Marcus Rashford is perfectly entitled to profit from charity work, but what about the Tory's and Nigel Farage's expenses?

I'd love to see investigations into both Tory and Labour MP finances, as well as Nigel Farage's - and, if they were found to have done the same thing, I'd condemn it in the same terms that I have applied to Rashford.

That's the difference here. I'm willing to call both sides out, whereas we just get whataboutery - like the above - from the other side.

Jimmy Savile raised enormous funds for charity, over $40 million. But that doesn't mean we should overlook his crimes - or to point to someone else and say, "But, why aren't you saying anything about [insert alternative]?".

Like Rashford, we cannot allow someone to use "charity" as a Trojan horse for other, inappropriate activity.

Erm fiscally overall he is making a loss given the amount he contributes to charity. So no, he isn't making lucrative profits from his charity work. The contrast to Savile is more nasty than anything since this is not remotely comparable. Do you have any evidence or any indication that he's using the role to engage in criminal behavior? Pretty sure the Spectator doesn't...

The reality is the decision to go after Rashford over this is more to do with people such as yourself who view him as a "virtue signaller", he's shown up the government through general human decency. And with a proportion of the British public, racism plays a role too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He's profited from charity work? You've proof of this or is this just the usual conservative caterwauling?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

We are eagerly awaiting The Spectator piece.

That said, Marcus Rashford's pre-emptive defence on Twitter at least suggests that there is more than a kernel of truth to the allegations.

Leaving aside the Jimmy Saville comments which are, quite frankly shameful on your behalf, in what way is Marcus Rashford profiting from his charity work? If it's that it increases his public profile, leading to sponsorship deals, that's not illegal. Whereas in the case of the Tories giving huge contracts to their mates and not getting what they paid for in return, there are certainly legal questions to be asked there.

So what inappropriate conduct are you actually accusing Marcus Rashford of? (Again, comparisons to Jimmy Saville are best left out of this discussion, don't you think?)

His response indicates that there's no real basis for an article rather than truth... Yet you've chosen to liken him to Savile...

• Advertisement

"...in what way is Nigel Farage profiting from his charity work? If it's that is increases his public profile, leading to sponsorship deals, that's not illegal".

I can only imagine the total, unending uproar if I said the above sentence.

Anyone who personally profits from charity work, in any way, cannot be said to legitimately care about the cause in question.

If anything, it demonstrates that this is a political manoeuvre on the part of Rashford.

Also, my comparison with Jimmy Saville stands. My point is that powerful people cannot be allowed to get away with inappropriate activity (financial, abusive, or any other kind) just because their public persona is associated with charity. I would apply the same principle to the Clintons, for example - who are always hiding behind the charity performed by their organization.

This isn't controversial, it's pretty damn obvious.

So after seeing that Rashford gives 150% of his earnings to charity, the logical thing for some is to bring a pedo into discussion.

Just keep on digging eski.

• Advertisement

He's not profiting from charity work though, because that would insinuate he's taking money from charitable donations for himself (like what happened with the Trump Foundation which was legally proven).

The argument can also be made that increasing his personal profile is a by-product of his charity work rather than the aim, and that any additional money he earns through legal and legitimate sponsorship deals also increases his ability to raise/give more money for charity.

It remains to be seen how much he actually profitted from his charity work (if any), but you haven't been able to point to any inappropriate activity (financial, abusive, or any other kind) on behalf of Rashford, and your repeated posts trying to tie in Jimmy Saville to the conversation show a complete lack of good faith on your part.

The modern right really seems to utter loathe anyone who shows even the tiniest bit of empathy. Funny how Tory politicians never get criticised for making money on the side in dodgy deals and golden handshakes.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He has a poor coach and has just had one of his better seasons for goals while carrying 2 injuries for 18 months.

He does all this in his spare time. He's not skipping training, missing games, rehab etc so he can go and do his charity work.

If anything, the club has handled him badly from a footballing perspective.

Where's the endless giving out about footballers doing commercial work for pepsi, Nike, adidas and the million other club sponsors, because that's not their job, but the clubs and players and sponsors have made it thus

Don't need fans like that.

As you say, we are yet to read the full report into his activity over the past year or so.

Call me a cynic, but I generally associate public displays of charity from multimillionaires to be entirely about self-promotion. And it's the easiest thing in the world to do, too - so I'm not surprised it is recommended by PR companies. It's a win-win situation, and most of the public lap it up. Who will criticize those who do charity, after all? And if you're already a multimillionaire, you only have everything to gain by washing this laundry out in public - deliberately, and with self-promotion in mind. The likes of Cheryl Cole and talentless nobodies - such as Joey Essex - have maxed out on this tactic in recent years.

Most genuinely philanthropic people go about their business, but do not actively seek to raise their public profile (self-interest).

I find the entire enterprise shady. It's harnessing charity, and the most vulnerable in society, for self-interested reasons. That doesn't mean the charity isn't welcome, of course it is. But that's why it's shady. It means that powerful, psychopathic people can manipulate the situation for their own interests.

From what is hinted at The Spectator piece, it appears Rashford is no different.

But it was Marcus Rashford publicly calling out the UK Government and leading public campaigns which forced the UK Government into reversing their own decision and providing meals etc to underprivileged and vulnerable children throughout the UK, to a far, far greater extent than Marcus Rashford himself could ever afford to do privately with his own money. Do you agree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You said

"Anyone who personally profits from charity work, in any way, cannot be said to legitimately care about the cause in question."

You have made this accusation without a single shred of evidence, that says quite a lot about you!

Farage doesn't do charity work, he just claims every penny he can and steals from the taxpayers

Footage of the Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage bragging about how much money he earns as an MEP for so little work has reemerged on social media.

This represents four working days and one journey. We're talking about £1,900. It's a good job this.  

I worked it out that because so much of what you get is after tax that if you used the secretarial allowances to pay your wife on top of all the other games you play I reckon this job in sterling terms is worth over £250,000 a year to you - that is what you would need to earn working for Goldman Sachs or someone like that

Are you seriously comparing Pepsi, Nike, and Adidas sponsorships with profiting from charitable work?

How does he profit from charity work? Do you actually believe that the charity pays him?

Or is it more a case of

Company P.R person

"Rashford is a good guy, people like him, we should see if we can get him on board to promote our products for a fee"

• Advertisement

You seem to think thats a worse comparison than comparing Rashford to a pedo?

Why am I not suprised.

Again, you're obfuscating profiting from charitable work (which makes it sound like he's taking money from charity or charitable donations, again like the Trump Foundation was legally proven to have done), with profiting from sponsorship deals based on public profile based on charitable work (charitable work the levels of which wouldn't have been possible without doing so in such a public manner as it was about forcing the government to reverse one of their decisions).

The question is, are you confusing the two due to not understanding the difference, or are you doing it on purpose?

You are being too premature. I've said several posts ago that we need to wait and learn of the full extent of what The Spectator is claiming.

I'm basing my inferences on Rashford's own words, on his Twitter feed, which suggest that something altogether self-interested and underhand was at play.

The precise details, nobody yet knows.

In other news, Farage is back tonight at 7pm. Details of guests yet to be announced. Their YouTube Channel is continuing to grow at the same pace, now at 179,000 and set to hit the 200k mark next week.

And as much as I find Arlene Foster ghastly, she hasn't joined the show as a presenter. She is merely a contributor to Farage's Sunday morning show with the Conservative MP co-presenter.

But you suggest others are being premature and to wait for the article while you give every indication of already having made your mind up yourself. If you hadn't, you'd at least be holding off on the melange of baseless allegations you've flung out, if not give him the benefit of the doubt.

Seems to me we're getting a little window here into how gullible folk can be, how easy it is to blow a dog whistle and get the pack to follow. I've often wondered at how the right can get away with the ridiculously transparent and so obviously false lies they trot out with such regular impunity, and it's things like this that help to explain why. It's so easy to target and smear anybody because there is such a big target audience out there who are ready and willing to lap up anything.

You say you need to wait to see the spectator article yet you are jumping to conclusions as to what it says

Here's his tweets, what do you find so suspicious about them?

Have the spectator still not published their article? was it not due last week?

You also said the following over your last few posts:

"Like Rashford, we cannot allow someone to use "charity" as a Trojan horse for other, inappropriate activity."

"That said, Marcus Rashford's pre-emptive defence on Twitter at least suggests that there is more than a kernel of truth to the allegations."

"Anyone who personally profits from charity work, in any way, cannot be said to legitimately care about the cause in question. If anything, it demonstrates that this is a political manoeuvre on the part of Rashford."

"I find the entire enterprise shady. It's harnessing charity, and the most vulnerable in society, for self-interested reasons. That doesn't mean the charity isn't welcome, of course it is. But that's why it's shady. It means that powerful, psychopathic people can manipulate the situation for their own interests. From what is hinted at The Spectator piece, it appears Rashford is no different."

You've based all of the above on The Spectator saying they have an article coming soon about Rashford (but with no claims of if it's damaging to him, if they have evidence of anything etc), and your own reading of Rashford's tweets which gives no indication of anything untoward. Not to mention your wilful abandon in tossing Jimmy Saville's name into the mix.

But I'm the one being premature?

Will be interesting to see Arlenes interactions with Tory Maps given the way they shafted the DUP with the Irish Sea trade border

Any negative reaction would require Arlene to have some principles. Given she signed that deal with May it is fair to say she doesn't have any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It was due to be published last Wednesday. I had posted about it myself last week, they seem to have taken note of where the wind is blowing and a hiatus has ensued. Which says quite a lot about the strength of their story, it's direction, it's editorial stance and any actual wrongdoing on the part of Rashford IMO.

If the Spectator believe that there is actual wrongdoing or indeed any public interest in "exposing" Rashford and his popularity with companies seeking high profile endorsement?

Why have they not published the piece? What reason other than backlash is there for holding off on such an "important" story?

Those questions aren't directed at you Ohno, rather just a musing as to why the Spectator haven't nailed that uppity footballer to a cross or hoist him by his own petard 😉

Isn't it almost as if there is no substance to their claims, nothing that no other sportsperson doesn't do? Even if he has donated in excess of 100% of his income...

How dare he seek the means to donate even more, or to even maximise his own earnings over the course of his short sporting career.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement