Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 McBurgermacs

The dimensions of Nowlan Park I've heard are equal in size to the dimensions of the croke park pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Junior Hurler

What is the official role of that lad in the check shirt in the mangers’ / technical area on the sideline at Semple Stadium? Seems to be ordering management, mentors etc around. Isn’t that the ref and match officials’ job?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

I thought he was involved in Semple Stadium, a stadium manager possibly. I have no idea why he appears so much however & is regularly seen directing people on the sideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Montys return

I don't think the last part is true? In 2017 there was a draw for the semi finals when neither losing provincial finalist made the semi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Jizique

If Waterford and Cork win, Cork will avoid LK as already played; if TY win, they def play KK as lost Munster final to LK; so only if Dublin and Waterford win do Waterford play KK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

id be happy for a shot at this Tipp team and I’ve no doubt Cahill would be thinking the same. I wouldn’t be drawn into thinking Dublin is the easy side of the draw especially if Limerick do await the winners.

In many ways we are in bonus territory here, given the players we are missing and how inconsistent we have been this year. I think this is Limericks all Ireland to lose now and I’ve felt all along that Cahill has been building a panel for an assault at next years championship with the Munster round robin given how weak our panel was exposed as being in previous cease. I also note Tadgh DB and Darragh Fives sittin in the stand together I’m not sure if that’s a sign that Darragh has just taken the year off to get himself right or if he’s simply just mates with Tadgh and they went together.

But it wasn’t a ‘Munster Council’ game yesterday and irrespective, what official role is he performing at Semple when other grounds don’t seem to need an equivalent so obviously ordering people around in the technical area?

A dublin team packing the defence would nullify a running game like vs clare (though being lessons been learnt and nice to see points being taken vs galway as opposed to trying to run it in)

That being said,id love to see us get a cut off limk again,as i felt we didnt perform to our best in the all ireland,but limk have also improved since

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

He’s always there , even club games doing the same thing . Plays junior B hurling in mid Tipp . You’d even meet him working at big concerts, grand lad !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Is this the baldy lad? He’s covered every inch of the sideline for years in Semple Stadium. Grand chap actually, I met him in Dublin one day walking down the street and said hello to him but I couldn’t remember where I knew him from. He looked at me like I had ten heads but said hello back.

We may have been a bit slow in bringing on subs on Saturday, particularly given the heat. The first Waterford sub was introduced in the 58th minute when fresh legs sooner may have have helped resist the Galway onslaught or indeed have maintained the Waterford momentum. We do have a battle- hardened bench and indeed two subs in particular helped steady the ship with key plays in the last few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,291 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tipperary it is so

They will be out to prove a point but so will we. Liam vs Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Do we play Limerick in the semi if we beat TIPP

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Not necessarily. If Dublin win then it’s Waterford v Kilkenny.

if Cork win then I think* it’s Cork v Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Unless Dublin beat Cork, in which case we play KK.

Let's hope the venue is Nowlan Park (not in Cork and definitely not in Limerick)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭smillingsam

We'll need another big performance, hopefully the lads will have enough energy in the tank to pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Would be some Journey to win an All Ireland, beat Galway, Tip, Limerick And KK/Cork (maybe Dublin)

Yellow cards for Limerick lads who swing back with hurleys, red cards for Waterford. Brilliant Consistency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah if we’re to go all the way we’ll be doing it in the most difficult way with Galway, Tipp, Limerick and Cork/KK/Dub. Also all a week apart, I’m just hoping fatigue isn’t the difference and the lads don’t run out of steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Delighted with performance and attitude on Saturday - done everything was asked of us and more. Playing for 43 minutes with 14 men in that heat was some ask and i felt we just hit a wall in the last quarter, and this was mainly because Galway had nothing to loose at that stage sweeping forward with abandon. It was notable that even though they had the extra man for the entire second half the, the fact that we left Dessie inside on his own on the edge edge of the square, made sure they has to have two men back, as to concede another goal at that stage would have been curtains. Would agree that we might have gotten fresh legs in a bit earlier, but the way we were playing it was hard to decide who to take off.

Couple of quick observations

• Dessie Hutch is the real deal , has bags of skill and huge appetite for work and is still only a novice in terms of Inter-county hurling.
    • The three Bennett's what can you say, slippery as eels, tough as nails and skills to burn.
    • Just how much did we miss Prunty, and Barron against Clare - these two lads were unreal on Saturday.
    • Aussie continues to improve with his attitude and temperament - we always knew the had the ability
    • Kiely looks to be the real deal also, strong, physical and not short of ability - what a score for the youngster when the pressure was really on.

On the sending off- thought Conor Gleeson was hard done by especially considering what else was left go over the 80 minutes. I also thought Stack's handling of the matter was terrible - waiting until the teams appeared from the tunnel to notify them and then run and start the game not allowing any time for a reshuffle was very poor.

On the actual decision to send him off, I did not see it in real time even though sitting at that end of the ground, but having reviewed the sole footage I can find (on the Sunday game) it is still not clear if Gleeson made contact with the hand - it looked more like a slap at Canning's hurley, which by the way Canning had no business in putting across Gleeson in the first place. It is only the way Canning went down and milked it that caused the fuss - even though he returned totally fresh and unscathed after half time. I also believe because of the angle that the umpires had they could not have seen any contact with the hand as Canning was between them and the hurley, so once again they were basing their decision totally on Canning's reaction. And before anyone says am i accusing Canning of taking a dive, I am merely saying lads go to ground and milk things across all counties our own included, it happens in every game, but to send a lad off there has to be clear evidence of deliberate striking. How many times on Saturday and in all other games do lads when bursting out with a sliothar do exactly what Gleeson did when breaking through legitimate tackles and at worst give away frees. Gleeson himself is a bit unfortunate as he has a bit of a reputation at this stage, but i think beyond any doubt this call was wrong and as for Cusack comparing it equally to Gillane's wild pull, (bit of Cork bias i feel ) as i think everyone in the ground except the referee saw that he clearly made contact with Barrett.

Tipp will be a mighty challenge and they have that extra week to recover, and will certainly be hot favorites but i don't think they will relish facing us either. Hopefully we can get Daly back from injury to strengthen our options from the bench and that we have no injuries coming out of yesterday.

Tipp are 4/7 with PP ; Waterford @ 13/8.

Tipp have the better head to head championship record but their 2nd half collapse against Limerick is a big worry for them. The fatigue issue is a concern for Waterford but mentally, they should be in a good state after Saturday's performance.

I don't think anyone was surprised by the Galway 'fightback' ; with an extra man in that heat, it was bound to happen ; didn't Kilkenny nearly blow a similar lead against Dublin last year (and that was 15 on 15). What a wonder score by Stephen near the end ; having run himself into the ground, it was out of this world that he had the strength and skill to score that point from near the sideline.

Those odds probably more based on recent head to heads, of all the top counties we’ve played in the last 10 or so years our record against Tipp is by far the worst. We’ve beaten every county at least once in championship since after 2008 with the exception of Tipp. Please god that changes on Saturday.

Michael Kiely also very unlucky not to score a goal with his very first touch when he came on. Ground stroke well saved by the Galway keeper, what an intro that would have been. He took his point very well though at a time we badly needed a score to settle the team.

Minors out tomorrow night against Tipp in the Munster semi final in Cork. Anyone know much about the team and who to look out for? Would this be considered a strong/average/weak crop? Only name I recognise is Patrick Fitzgerald from Ballygunner as I recall he racked up a ridiculous score in an underage county final some time ago, something like 6-5.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WaterfordGAA/status/1419628539515711490/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I said similar but I think we're in the minority. Sky also said that Canning was being taken off. Allied to using the jersey as a sling it appeared as if he had sustained a very serious injury to his hand, wrist, arm or elbow. But the camera doesn't show the contact and he doesn't hold any of those areas when he goes down. Though looking at Galway this year, there has been accusations of gamesmanship and that tends to stem from management as opposed to individual players.

Waterford should still be disappointed with the three goals conceded as all could have been prevented. Though I was very happy with the overall performance and I'd attribute the Galway comeback to having the numerical advantage of 16 v 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Pairc Ui Chaoimh Saturday at 1.30pm. Game is live on RTÉ

• Registered Users Posts: 38,291 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ideal for me going down the end of the week for a few days

1.30pm a tad early for the game but nothing I can about it

Speculation of a 7000 attendance according to the News and Star

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

rte reporting 7,000 attendance for our game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

The Waterford v Tipperary Minor Hurling game tomorrow night (7.30 pm) is being streamed live on TG4 Youtube Channel. Link:

https://munster.gaa.ie/event/2021-electric-ireland-munster-minor-hurling-championship-semi-final-waterford-v-tipperary/

Advertisement