Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The AH Tokyo 2020 Olympics/Paralympics Thread in 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

Irish lad second last of the finishers over 9 minutes behind the winner. Hard day at the office for him I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

At least he looked okay at the end and didn't collapse over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

He featured at the end for the business end of it. Admittedly because he was close to getting lapped on the road race bit. Fair play to the Norweigan lad. He seemed to be on fumes and then just decided to go faster anyway with a long way to go. An incredible achievement to start that last break in that heat after doing everything beforehand and to hold it for so long. Crazy impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I didn't intend to watch it all, but I just could not turn it off!

Back up at 6.30 for the sailing 😱😫

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I reckon the fact Yee has no arse defeated him in the end. Great triathlon, up at the crack of dawn doing that to themselves for our entertainment bravo

• Advertisement

Mountain bike at 7am later today Monday is one to watch

That was some triathlon to watch. Glad I stayed up for it now.

the start was mental. How could you not see the big boat in front of half of the athletes? 😂

Mona’s semi final just before 3am. Gonna try stay awake for it.

Watching 13 and 16 year old kids in the women’s skateboard. It’s not my thing but their skill is nuts.

I need to go to bed.

edit: 3 tries in 2 minutes in rugby sevens. Might stay up a bit longer.

The rugby sevens match is a fab one - end to end action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The BBC commentator just said of the big black Fiji player '' I can't believe he just missed that, he has hands as big as a bunch of Banana's ''

Racist much. geez

Its not racist. It was a way to describe someone with big hands.

He could have said “hands as big as loading shovels” but he might not know what a loading shovel is.

Ah but if he was a skinny white guy with big hands he'd have not of blurted that out

It was a deep subconscious remark, not something he was trying to be clever about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

Geez is right.

It's you who appears to associate black people with bananas, think about that.

A bunch of bananas is also known as a hand of bananas.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Have rte tapped into someone's phone call hearing some random conversation all through the commentary.

That's the ref talking to the video umpires.

Ireland have done really well to keep the score at 1-0.....hopefully more of the same in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mcsharry into the final. Some achievement no matter what now. Never know in a final although she will have to have race of her life. Fingers crossed

It’s a great achievement by Mona to get to the final. She’s gonna have the swim of her career tomorrow but whatever happens, the girl’s done good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The Boards poster just said of the Fiji player ''...big black...''

Racist much. geez!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

All the news outlets are saying she is "only the second Irish swimmer to reach an Olympic final".

Interestingly none of them giving the name of the first. She who will not be named....... you know. The one who went dutch..... Who didn't actually lose her 3 gold medals and one bronze for doing drugs....... Unlike the horsey guy. Who actually did lose his gold medal for doping. But he got to come back and win a bronze. And may even go better this time. But he's a posh lad, in a posh sport, not like she who will not be named.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Commentary on the RTE Player about 5 seconds ahead of the picture - complete joke service as per usual.

Never change RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭dasdog

Irish rugby sevens team about 5 seconds behind the play - although the USA look bright.

Looking forward to Nguyen in the badminton - one of those niche sports that can be fascinating.

Presume that means RTE won't show it, but will show Tonga v Azerbaijan playing bridge instead? 🙄

Or ads.....

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

Fairly embarrassing by Eire so far. Not sure why these clowns are being funded

So when is your event? So we can all tune in and be hurlers in the ditch.

FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Irish Times name Smith

Also I don't know much about Smith except for the fact she is from South Dublin but I wouldn't exactly call Olympic swimming a sport of the working classes

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Cry me a river. The East Germans never tested positive in competition ever either. People are allowed to feel any way they want about our fragrant gold medallist based on the available information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Athletics is not being funded in Ireland. 14 years in Irish state education and I never saw a swimming pool or a running track.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

team gb gold rush has started !

Pretty sure the lack of funding for olympic style sports is why we tend not to compete at that level. I know that the Netherlands have their own olympic village style center where athletes can live and have all the training facilities they need complete with canteen that helps them control their diet, full training facilities etc. I am guessing most 1st world countries have similar for a large range of sports.

On Smith vs Cian. If Smith came back and competed clean and won something she would be named for those achievements. However she knew damn well she was never going to go anywhere in a fair race on the world stage.

It clashes with swimming. Not even covered on the news channel and Maura and Daithi on RTE1 - ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

In terms of performance you get out what you put in money wise which is why host countries usually start to climb the medal table coming up to during and after hosting.

In money terms I completely understand Ireland not being anywhere near the top but I agree on the schools. All I ever had was 14 years of a teacher throwing a soccer ball at some lads and saying off you go. Never once played any other sport or learned about fitness and in secondary school my useless teacher let all the girls sit out PE for the full 5 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Comparing Smith to Cian O'Connor is ridiculous. Smith systematically doped and was found out in the end, albeit she kept her Olympic medals. O'Connor's situation was a balls up rather than intentional cheating and he paid a heavy price for it, but redeemed himself eight years later with a medal winning performance.

In terms of performances generally only 80 to 90 countries win medals each Olympics and we are not even one of the 100 most populous countries in the world. So, arguably, any Olympics where we win even a single medal represents over performance.

For comparison, Scottish, Welsh and NI athletes competing for the Brits, despite access to facilities, funding and everything else, as well as the ability to compete in stronger teams alongside English athletes, have so far won a combined total of 0 medals this games.

These badminton fellas can fairly move!!!

Swimming is a niche sport rather than being a posh or working class sport. There are swim clubs all over Ireland and in every part of Dublin. Although it can get very expensive as you move up the ranks as coaching costs and pool costs mount, not to mention the cost of gear (€300 plus swimming togs anyone?).

It’s not really a mainstream for a a few reasons.

We don’t have enough pools in Ireland and so access to pools can be a challenge and so a lot of training is done very early in the morning before pools open. My kids when they swam at a reasonable level were doing 3 x 5-7am sessions a week before school, plus their evening and weekend sessions and dry land training.

And that’s the other thing.......the time you need to put in to swimming to get to a high level is nuts. I know every sport requires dedication but to be any way competitive in swimming you need to put a lot of time in. My son when he was swimming was in the pool for 12hrs minimum per week plus land training of at least a couple of hours. Now he’s able to keep fit and enjoy his GAA off less than half that.

The other thing that swimming also struggles with is that it’s a very lonely sport. Even when training in a group there’s no craic or banter, there’s not enough time or energy between sets. It’s only after training or at galas that swimmers get to have a bit of interaction.

As a sport its great for teaching discipline and it does wonders for your physique, but I have to say I wasn’t disappointed when my kids pulled back from competing swimming.

Mona reaching a swim final is an exceptional result for a very talented swimmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It's a sport that can be played in to the late thirties so one of those ones where experience counts. Nat's twenty one.

• Advertisement

I'm loving the ref's call of "service ova" 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

That's almost word for word what a friend of mine said when explaining the daily routine/grind with his two competitive swimming kids.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Not sure what you expected but small countries rarely get a big haul of medals the fact we have 100+ athletes is impressive alone , generally small countries have one or two sports they focus on.

Rowing and Boxing are our sports that we have a solid chance at medalling in and you might get one or two shocks outside of that like McClenaghan but we don't have the facilities or coaching to be anywhere near medalling in a lot of sports a lot of them are there off their own back not from the support of the Irish Olympic committee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Well done Nhat!

That was thoroughly enjoyable - the speed of thinking and reaction is something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Yes, there are sports that I think we should be putting more focus on, but swimming probably isn't one of them, it's not quite as tough going as track athletics in terms of quality and depth but the dedication needed to get to the top is still ridiculous.

I'd love to see us try to develop minority sports more though, when you look at the talent alone that gets released from the provincial rugby academies and sub-academies each year, we should be saying to these players - have you tried rowing, pole vault, canoeing, modern pentathlon etc.? There's a pool of untapped talent there that just heads out into the world of office jobs alongside the rest of us that we should be tapping into.

It isn't just about asking them to try it out. We would also need coaching staff to develop them Medals tend to follow the money. Korea has an extensive archery program and has 3/3 gold medals so far. The UK decided to do well at indoor cycling and has done well. Certainly those athletes are talented and have put in a crazy amount of work but when it is talented and hard working vs talented and hard working and money then money gets you that gold.

Swimming is a rough one. One talented swimmer can pick a mountain of medals alone but you are competing with the funding the US, Australia and China put in which won't happen. We focused on boxing and will likely get medals from that although it is a rough one to guarantee medals in and we lost most of our talent after what happened in Rio. Unsure how well the rowers are supported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Does the RTE player not work on mobile?

• Advertisement
Advertisement