Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Ros Tom can't help himself, he's had years of hardship. I forgive him under the circumstances. Many years of hardship ahead as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Joyce has been a massive let down. Came in based on the way he'd the u20s playing but reverted eventually to the style under Walsh, slow, ponderous stuff. What happened his line about nothing travelling faster than the ball?

He also seems to distance himself a bit from taking the flak. Saying he told the team at halftime to go out and manage the game. He's implying they didn't and that's why they lost. Id believe there was hardly a tactic discussed because Galway didn't change anything in the second half when the tide was turning.

You'd wonder what the players think when he's in front of a mic laying blame publicly at their feet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

He should never have gotten the job. Made a balls of a talented u20 team which lost a semi to an inferior Dublin team. No experience outside of that. Besides the first games in last years league when the players would have been excited to play for a Galway legend then its been an unmitigated disaster. Playing legends rarely make good managers, mainly I think because playing the game came so naturally to them that they didn't have to think of it the same as the rest of us.

There's no cohesion to the way we play and when its going wrong there's no plan b (I'm not even convinced there's a plan A). The player management is a problem too as you mentioned. I really hope thats the end of it but I dont see him stepping down and I dont see the county board turning down another year. Shane Walsh will have to carry the team for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Btw Michael Farragher was a strange one on the subs bench, he hadnt played for us since early 19, where was he sprung from?? lasted ten minutes Red.. Then down 5 down Duane a great oul servant but a defender replaces Walshe, Tomo Culhane wasn't named in the subs (yes I know hes young)... PJ puts serious pressure on the lads tellin them to go and manage the game, shur thats his job.... A great player but promoted far too soon to the management side imv, doesn't have a managers brain yet imhv and surrounded by too many yes-men in his backroom team and it pains me to say that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sure he's basically given gigs to all his mates. Never a good sign.

Whatever chance he has if he stays on he has to seriously shake up his backroom team.

• Advertisement

In fairness to Joyce he has introduced alot of young players. I think he's been a bit unlucky with the two covid seasons. He deserves another, anyway who would you replace him with. The county board are a pack of wasters and have squandered any resources we had, only for supermac we would be up **** creek.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,261 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Ros Tom you seriously need to get a life. You won't find any Galway posters on the Roscommon GAA Thread (if there is one)

If not set one up

I cant see how you can attribute anything we've seen to Covid. There isnt even a semblance of a plan. Lockdowns could have been time to sit down and analyse what game plan suits, how to develop it and also a kickout strategy. Its obvious none of this was done. Another year is just another wasted year.

PJ was lucky to have worked with a very good manager in his first year playing IC. Shane Walsh and Sean Kelly haven't worked with one yet.

Michael Meehan said the same thing on Newstalk.

Both years were Covid affected with less games and he deserves a proper season.

He also mentioned how the young Galway team will learn from today.

Covid had no effect on the ability to work on a gameplan as more than enough training was available both seasons.

Disappointed to hear him write that off, Galway aren't a young team who just need a bit more time.

Sadly this nonsense view is likely how some suit in the County board will see it and he'll stay on.

I see PJ came out after and mentioned misses and the penalty.

Obviously hes oblivious to the fact Mayo won an easy kickout and won the penalty 20 seconds after that.

0% success on Mayos kickouts if I'm not mistaken with not a single one kicked outside the 65 to a contest.

Maybe that was an issue PJ.

Didnt see it mentioned anywhere across the analysis either so he'll avoid being beaten with that in the mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Tough watch in 2nd half for Galway. Based on what I’ve seen in the last 2 Connaught finals you just don have good enough players, half fit Walsh and Comer aside. In terms of speed strength stamina skill and shooting ability mayo are a level above most of those Galway players. I wouldn’t fault their effort or commitment but once a bit of tiredness kicks you can see a big difference between a good team and an ordinary team, which unfortunately is what Galway are at the moment. Maybe there’s untapped talent there. I hope you find it, but maybe Walsh knew what he had to deal with and set up accordingly. As hard as it was to watch he did get them competitive for a couple of years. I think the hammering by Tipp in 2016 made him realise your defenders just aren’t good enough to go msn to man.

• Advertisement

Can't be judging abilities in 2021 on five years ago.

Sure most careers are 10 years long.

We won the U20 last year, recent minor, we've been there or there abouts in other U20 and minors since 2016.

Its folly to say theres no talent there, or a further lack since 2016.

Funnily a lot of why we lost to Tipp, was the same as yesterday. Severe lack of leadership and organisation from the sideline.

From memory Tipp scored 1-5 or so from our kickouts that day and we let them win over 80% of theirs(I don't think they won 100% like yesterday but not far off).

You could have argued that in 2016 we came off the back of an underage drought, so were limited at Senior. We had the two U21 titles but barely won a minor Connacht aside and went about 8 years without one.

So theres a hell of a lot more talent there now, more than enough to keep the team in D1 and getting to semis/finals consistently.

Thats the worst Mayo team in the last twenty years, but they have a good manager and that counts for a lot.

2016 is pointless to this group. There were only 7 survivors yesterday from the Connacht final last November. Let alone 5 years ago.

Bottom line is they are not conditioned like a top team. When they had their legs under them they could match Mayo but they completely ran out of gas around the 50 minute mark. The early injuries/subs didn't help but unless you can run with teams like Dublin, Kerry, Mayo for 70+ minutes you have no chance as they'll just wear you down in the end and rack up the scores in the final 15/20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

It's nowhere near the worst Mayo team in 20 years. This team is still a lot better than the ones that got to the finals in 2004 and 2006 never mind the teams in the late 2000's that got beaten by Sligo and Longford.

Galway were bad and I think it's time for PJ to go. As a Mayo man I genuinely feared what he could do with this Galway team but his reputation as a player seems to have got him the gig. Tactically he's not good enough and he seems to have fallen out with a good few on the panel. I believe Galway have a very good team and have been playing well below themselves for some time now.

I agree 2016 not relevant to today, just making the point about the Walsh era. Under age success can be hit and miss. I think Galway won 4 U21 all Ireland’s in 11 or 12 years and yet your senior team continued to deteriorate in that time. Likewise Cork are regularly beating Kerry at u20 but miles off at senior. Some underage teams produce a load of outstanding senior players and some don’t.

certainly s+c wise Galway look a long way off. I just think skill wise they were poor as well yesterday. Also the midfielder on the frees was not a success. Not having a dependable free taker in the forwards will cost any team 3-4 points a game

The loss of Sean Kelly was a huge blow, he has previously matched up to Aidan O Shea and I believe would have not given him the same room in around the box. He was also missing in terms of his ability to make runs into the Mayo defence and put them on the back foot. Finnerty was a loss to a lesser extent. I don't think you can underestimate the impact the off the ball tackle had on Shay Walsh, it basically took him out of the game. He passed Aidan O Shea like he wasn't there a short time earlier for galways second goal and Mayo weren't going to let it happen again. It's shocking that 7 officials cannot or choose not to see it. All in all we were within 3 points with a few minutes to go and only scored 3 in the second half. I think the most thing we lacked yesterday was a bit of cuteness. Mayo have learned that from the dubs throughout all their losses.

Tierney is a very good free taker usually. Just had a bad day yesterday. Missed 2 from straight in front in perfect conditions. I've often seen him kick them from everywhere in wind, rain and muck. Maybe not quite used to kicking frees off the ground from the CP surface.

He looked brilliant against Roscommon. When I see the likes of Murphy and o Connor taking them from the hands despite being good off the ground it makes me think it’s a better way to go. I just feel more confident when I see a forward taking frees and penalties. Ps don’t need reminding about Murphys miss last week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Agree, he's only new to the senior set up and should be cut some slack, bad day at the office for him, he's the future whereas Conroy... A brilliant servant, well its hard to see him staying on no matter who manages, why wasn't flynn brought in when he was tiring?? I dunno maybe PJ could stay but the whole backroom needs a clearout, I don't know what some of em are bringing to the table but PJ insisted on bringing them with him at the start of his tenure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭shockframe

Galways major problem is that they don't bring anywhere near the same aggression to the table as Mayo.

It would be good for the game if Galway progressed but despite all the wins of late v Mayo they've all been in Connacht. When it comes to the business end Mayo are always there. They have flaws but especially since Horans first stint they bring war with them.

Galway Football seems to lack that mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭briandebum

I feel like they'll give Joyce another year and we'll find ourselves in a similar situation next year.

Take into account the hurlers going out in a similarly disappointing fashion (poor management not getting the best out of the players), you'd have to believe that major systemic changes are needed at county board level.

Generations of underage success in both codes, however that talent is not being placed in a position to succeed at senior level. It's not even like I'm saying anything revolutionary here, any one with a passing interest in Galway GAA knows we've had issues at board level over the past few years. However the manner of the defeats at the weekend would just leave a horrible taste in the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

You'd have to wonder what the management in both codes are at. They're certainly not getting the best out of the talent available. Defeats are fine, but, it's the manner of the defeats that are really disappointing and no real progress or semblance of a game plan being put in place.

PJ will probably get another season based on his playing career more than his management, it'll be another wasted year and we'll be in a similar position this time next year. PJ doesn't seem to have any type of gameplan and the team are lacking fitness and conditioning and no real fight in them when the going gets tough. Other than Dublin and Kerry, Galway have as much talent as any other county, but, haven't got near playing to their potential in the last few years.

SoN should be gone after Saturday's display, he's been a total disaster, after the insipid display against Dublin you'd at least expect the team to be fired up for the beginning of the match, instead they were an absolute shambles, game over after less than 30 mins. On championship form Galway would be ranked 9th of the main contenders, behind both Dublin and Wexford. Given the talent available in the county that's shocking. We've had more success ar underage than most of our rivals and doing nothing with it. Certain players seem undroppable regardless how poorly they consistently perform, despite better options sitting on the bench. Again no real gameplan, listless, flat performances and seem to surrender at first opportunity.

Seems to be a common problem amongst Galway teams that they give up easy

Ignored the fact that Mayo had a perfectly good goal disallowed too. Ex playing buddies will circle the wagons and he'll stay on but to the detriment of the panel and galway football in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Very decent listen in spite of the sound quality.

Post match analysis:

Shane Stapleton in conversation with Kevin Walsh.

As an outsider there is no doubt there is ample talent in Galway Walsh,Comer,Conroy,the Dalys,Cooke,Finnerty,young Tierney and the Kellys.

Kieran Molloy potentially can go to the next level although he needs to demonstrating it.

James McLaughlin and Tomo Culhane are exceptional young footballers.

Hence it perplexes me greatly why Galway have failed to achieve more.

There has been an issue with your number one position and a functional kickout strategy and the various other elements key to goalkeeping.

We've had our issues there too.

Defensively you have not produced the same amount of teak tough operators as swashbuckling forwards.

There is no reason I can think of why the Galway team's strength and conditioning should not be at a similar level to the our setup.

Perhaps some fault does lie with the management but one can't absolve the squad of their own share of the responsibility of the blame.

Somebody put it well sometimes you literally have to go to war in these contests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

You're answering your own questions there. We haven't had defenders anything like the calibre of De Paor, Meehan, Gary Fahy or Mannion since their days. They just don't grow on trees any more. Mayo used have a surfeit of good backs and a shortfall of clinical forwards once, but they've balanced it out now. Of the players you mentioned above, Walsh struggles to get fit for matches a lot of the time, Comer is one-dimensional in his play, Conroy a great servant but near the end now, hopefully John Daly can recover fitness as would be a key defender if available, brother Michael is too one-paced, (he'd be blown out of it last Sunday), Tierney and the Kellys look to be good 'uns, hopefully Molloy, Finnerty, Cooke etc. can reach that standard also. Galway produces a good number of potentially good players, but there's no superstar, no nascent Meehan, Joyce or Donnellan, on the horizon yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Were you close to where that tackle happened? I was in the upper Cusack so was hard to make out, but from what I could see, O'Hora was running out as the attack was on and Walsh tried to stop him going up the pitch? From what I could see, O'Hora put him to ground then?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Gif of it here.. Pretty innocuous if you ask me, Walsh started it and then got dragged down. You see a lot worse. I guess he hit the ground pretty awarkdly/hard.

https://www.balls.ie/amp/gaa/padraic-joyce-questions-officials-walsh-injured-477742

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Walsh does that sort of stuff a lot from what I've seen of him. I guess he picked on the wrong guy in this instance!

That's fairly standard in football. Stand in the way of your man. You don't usually get flung head first into the ground after though.

• Advertisement

Sounds more like a spear tackle job, a sending off for Mayo at that stage may have altered the game big time.

Advertisement