Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Not seeing grandchildren for months or even for over a year .

Not seeing sons and daughters who live abroad since early 2020

Not having the support and companionship of day centres or home care .,

Not being able to visit their husband or wife in a care home for months

Not having physio or chiropody or public health nurse visits .

Being told to cocoon and not even go for a walk and muscles and joints seizing up and conditions getting worse

Older parents struggling badly caring for sons or daughters with special needs with no day care or respite

Watching funerals of friends online and feeling incredibly lonely that they were not there .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I honestly don't believe we'll rerun this again and targeted boosters for some via a flu' vaccine type programme is more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I did a market research survey recently that would suggest that the HSE are going to heavily push flu and pneumococcal vaccines this winter, presumably due to co-morbidity and hospital overloading concerns.

That, if it happens, will probably need some MVC capacity as it would be more than the usual GP and pharmacy flu vaccine provision could handle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Ahhh, I can't handle the fight and wait for more vaccines so soon!!! Hard pressed to get the flu ones last winter, waiting and watching for appointments for my vulnerable teen, same again for ourselves. The sqabbling over chemist lists for young people for j&j. And to restart it all for boosters!! Headwrecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

1.7 million doses I believe expected to be done. Capacity is there, single dose of each and can be done at the same time I believe. MVC I don't think will play a part in that if that's the plan.

• Advertisement

The decision on boosters ultimately rests with those regulatory bodies and not Pfizer and that decision will be guided by science too.

Less than 2% of Africa is fully vaccinated and 75% of the world's population have yet to receive one dose never mind a third. With the rise of more transmissible variants developing nations need urgent access to vaccines more than ever. There's a discussion to be had on boosters for high risk groups like elderly and immunocompromised and that's fine. But on the other hand giving them to otherwise healthy people during a global shortage of access without clear evidence of an overall benefit is morally and ethically wrong. I would hope it requires more justification than "it makes sense".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

At this point it would be more thick for the young lad to continually have his social life on hold for a virus he was partially vaccinated against, which getting it had minimal effect on him.

Not everyone has the same risk appetite as you, and theirs being different certainly doesn't make them 'thick'.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

May I ask, whilst you were waiting for your second vaccination dose, when did you catch Covid. The reason I ask, is this will of put your wait further back I assume, as you get tested to confirm that you are Covid negative for a few weeks after. This may well be case for many people in a similar situation. Decisions taken at the time were based upon changing sequences of events. Very interesting now that real world data confirms that duration of doses for Pfizer gap is lengthened, with 8-9 weeks between doses being the sweet spot, eliciting the bigger share of antibodies. This is one of the things that has been learned thru the pandemic. UK average wait was c10.5 weeks for both AZ or Pfizer. I haven't seen anything published for Ireland average duration wait. I am sorry you feel left in the situation you are in. Certainly, how the pandemic has been handled by every country, including Ireland could have been improved - poor messaging, poor to very poor vaccination processes in the early stages - thankfully improved - this includes not getting MVC set up sooner, no utilisation of local supermarket carparks, for pop up clinic, sports and village halls, community nurses, for elderly/immobile housebound people - this should have been happening immediately. - instead mixed messages from Dr surgeries, lack of information for them to lack of manpower for them to contact their patients. Needed to have got dentist, pharmacy personnel as a collective team - as part of the group with local Doctors vaccinated as smoothly as possible. Instead we were left with various 'good' intention, but squabbles, politicking in some cases, swathes of paperwork for retired or recently medics. This wont help you feel any better in your situation, but the disjoint including cohort groups processes is pretty much the story. What will be a national disgrace is that we a don't learn from this and repeat the same errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I'd ring the Dr right now, it could be something that needs to be taken a look at quickly. the neck swelling and fast movement of your head pain needs to be checked out. If no joy getting a Dr to contact you , get yourself to your local hospital. best be safe than sorry. Also, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE update the side effects HSE data. This is exactly the kind of thing that needs to be updated. Hope you feel better soon. - but do not wait to see a Dr. It is wise to get it checked as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭djayforza

I am due for my second dose in the next few weeks however I am going to be unavailable with work from mid August.

If I was to arrive at a vaccine centre towards the end of day and asked if I could be on a cancellation list for any unused vaccine that evening would I be told where to go or facilitated? I'd like to get the 2nd dose over and done with before I'm unavailable.

Any help appreciated folks.

I think I read that the son tested positive for Covid within 7 days of getting a vaccination - so not fully protected yet.

AstraZeneca I thought are looking at next generation development - not necessarily a booster as such - but then so are others. Could be wrong, but thought I read it somewhere.

They are all looking but politically no plans have been set in place so for now only pharma are talking about it. I also agree with the principle we need to sort out the rest of the world with their shots first before we even consider boosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Just wondering if anyone got a Pfizer appointment but due to a history of anaphylaxis your appointment was cancelled, what was the eventual outcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

I’m sure everyone is bored of hearing good stories about the MVC, but anyway - went to UCD this morning, appointment at 10:50 but arrived 20 minutes early - they let me in, no queue and I was out in less than 20 minutes, including the 15 minutes of observation.

The observation room was quite full, so I’m sure sure the no queue is more about it extremely well organised than lack of appointments.

Really if I have to complain about anything is that I would have preferred going to the Aviva, much closer to home, and that as someone not familiar with the area it was not 100% clear where exactly the centre was on campus.

Regarding when you get the DCC instead, I wish you would get it immediately after the first dose, as some other countries (Italy, Hungary) are happy to consider you vaccinated for some stuff with a single dose (no matter which vaccine).

As someone else said, the DCC is just a (signed) proof that you got a vaccine (or a test, or recovered from Covid). Enforcing 2 doses, 14 days after the last, etc… needs to be done on the app that shows you a green/red tick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I reckon the government are going to have to pay certain people to get the vaccine. Not the anti vaxers but the lazy among us. The amount of people I have heard admit they haven't registered yet as they are too lazy. I think these people will have to be vaccinated on their couch while watching tv and paid as well. most of these people don't even work, its not like they have anything to do all day, where I know a guy who travelled a few hundred miles over 2 days to get the second vaccination, he had to pay for a b&b as well. some people are a disgrace.

Then you have people ranting about the restrictions but are adamant they aren't taking the vaccine, I really do despair for humanity at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

Has the issue with appointments being cancelled after completing the consent form on the portal been fixed? Or would it be safer if I just don't fill it out?

In all probability we'll have enough vaccinated to take care of that. Not taking a pop at you but there does seem to be an increasingly aggressive attitude, both here and in RL, towards those who have not yet opted to take a voluntary vaccine. Getting some of them to do so is the HSE's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Why wouldn't there be a critical attitude towards those who are unwilling to contribute to an effort to end a pandemic which has killed millions and caused enormous economic disruption?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Excellent WSJ article on the reaction of BioNTech to the waning immunity to the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine ...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-immunity-wanes-but-third-shot-still-rarely-needed-biontech-ceo-says-11627211359

• BioNTech confirmed that waning does occur due to the Delta variant which data from Israel stated last week.
    • Antibody levels are dropping gradually after immunization.
    • "Vaccine protection against the new variant is considerably lower" says BioNTech CEO.
    • People who got the shot in January are 3 times more likely to get Covid than those who got vaccinated in May.
    • But protection, to severe disease, in most cases remains, thanks to memory cells.
    • Choice is now to give boosters or allow infection occur among those who have been vaccinated once antibody immunity wanes.
    • BioNTech CEO refuses to say if booster shots should be given. He says that his role is to supply data and it is the role of governments to make the decision to give boosters or to allow infection.

For one, it's rarely an effective tactic to criticise people, it doesn't make any effort to establish why this happening, and it does confer a level of self-congratulatory moral superiority on those vaccinated but mostly it ignores what the purpose pf the programme is, to get as many people vaccinated as possible. The question really is how can we persuade more people to get vaccinated. As I said it's the next job for the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't really care about changing the minds of antivaxxers.

I do care about letting their absurd lies and misdirections go unchallenged. Facts matter.

There are really not that many of them, most people who are on the fence are undecided. Nothing wrong with challenging people but it does entrench positions even more and sometimes making them even less likely to consider other opinions.

It also ignores the prize we are aiming for.

I wasn't talking about anti vaxers, they are a lost cause. I was talking about people who are too lazy to get the vaccine. Plenty of them around.

Yeah but they still need to be persuaded and the question is figuring out why this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I had my vaccine at the Aviva about 10 days ago, answered all the questions online beforehand and had no problem at all with the appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Well if they are lazy not going to get off the couch they be no risk to anyone. Leave them to themselves. Numbers are pretty low

• Advertisement

They are the kind of people who love the odd house party.

Advertisement