Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam McCarthy Cup) 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

FFS if we have gender quotas on sports programmes we need provincial ones to stop these two Munster ultras, who love the sound of their own voices, boring the sh*te out of us.

Kilkenny will be a completely different kettle of fish than how Wexford and Galway played in the qualifiers.

Two absolute smug yokes Donal óg and Shakespeare McGrath. Could Donal óg not leave Christy Ring out of it for one night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Maybe Jackie Tyrrell or Henry Shefflin should have been on tonight. Oh wait remember the Kilkenny bias when Ritchie Hogan was sent off in 2019.

Over the last decade 2011-2020 the All Ireland breakdown is.

Leinster 5 (2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Munster 5 (2013, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020)

Naturally bar KK, apologies Dublin, the dice is loaded in favour of Munster.

Ok the last 3 are won by Munster teams. But it reminds me of the Ulster football talk around 2003. Ulster pundits spoke as if they had reinvented the wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Cusack has fallen back in love with Cork GAA after spending years vilifying various Board members. About ten years ago Cork started an underage programme that is now paying dividends. Cusack chose to ignore the good work being done in order to continue with his own spiteful agenda. But low and behold who is now over what is supposed to be an excellent minor team but Cusack. All the hard graft put in to get this minor team to where it is today didn't start last year by Cusack. I hope Cusack appreciates, and acknowledges, what was handed to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Montys return

Well that's the point really. I don't think Wexford have beaten Munster opposition since 2014. Think Dublin have one win over Cork in that time, and the 5th team in Leinster will have gotten many hammerings over the years. By contrast, competition in Munster is strong with different teams coming to the fore every few years. With a few bounces of a ball the other way you could have had all 5 winning all Irelands in the last decade.

Hogan was their former teammate. They were wrong but you could understand.

These two are in a league of their own. Munster hurling, Christy Ring, quoting his clubman and neighbour. Two bores.

Just the way they put Cork (2005) and Waterford (1959) ahead of KK without hesitation. They have completely dismissed the Leinster title. Kilkenny are the last team to beat Limerick.

And as Waterford have the hex on Galway, KK won't fear Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Shefflin and Tyrrell were both laughed at that night by all the other pundits who were all there because they were selecting the team of the year etc. They were embarrassing.

Not as embarassing as these two. McGrath constantly has to bring up when he was with Waterford.

Cusack, like the other visionaries on his team, decided to spend his best years on strike.

Give me the KK lads any day, they do their stuff and don't have notions while playing.

Cusack always on about Cork's rebel tradition too. Sometimes he needs a history lesson, the most loyal city in the kingdom was Cork, bedecked in union jacks when queen Victoria visited in 1900. East Cork loyal too. It was the men from West Cork, Skibbereen, Roscarberry etc, the football areas, who were Fenian strongholds. He's full of waffle Cusack.

• Advertisement

Now that's embarassing, colonialism and the sweeper😂 Again a vague swipe at certain counties. Trying to portray them as less Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Total bolix from McGrath tipping Waterford or cork to best Limerick on Sunday game

tipp or kk are the only ones within a prayer of touching Limerick but realistically it’s Limericks to loose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Noticed the way the use of the "free hand" wasn't mentioned at all by both pundits this week. Cork in particular are serial offenders at it. At one stage, in one particular passage of play, i counted at least 3 probably 4 clear fouls on Tony Kelly. Instead, Donal Og "praised" Kelly for getting the shot away, which incidentally fell right to a Cork player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

QF draw

Tipperary vs Waterford

Dublin vs Cork

Games next Saturday 31st July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Absolutely. The "spare hand" was Cusack's hobby horse for years and suddenly he doesn't mention it. No magnified shots from him showing such incidents. It seems it's okay now that his own county are the biggest culprits. He's also forgotten how to count steps. I guess he himself is "evolving"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭letsseehere14

Waterford v Tipp will be a cracker. Liam v Liam after getting Lohan v Davy served up already. Cork will be happy, no offence to Dublin but they are clearly the weakest of the 4 qf teams left.

Could not call Waterford v Tipp. Cork heavy favourites for a semi final.

We NEED to get the round robin back next year as the GAA is making a hames of the schedule. Had Clare won they would be facing their 5th game in a 4 week period, and had they wont that (which would have been against Dublin) they would be facing a Limerick side with a 3 week rest but they would have been playing their 6th game in a 5 week window. I know it didnt happen but the schedule made it a possibility. Ridiculous.

As it stands Waterford are out for their 3rd week on the trot, 4th game in 4 weeks.

Another note and I wonder has it ever happened before. But should Cork and Tipp win this weekend, and Tipp and Limerick win their semi finals there is a possibility that we, Limerick, can win an All Ireland by playing Cork, Tipperary, Cork, Tipperary. Again, just a permutation and more than likely something will scupper that possibility, but it is a possibility none the less. I can only remember the 2000 championship coming that close when KK played Dublin, Offaly, Galway, Offaly. 3 teams over 4 matches to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I fancy Cork and Tipp. Another Cork V Limerick game. As a Limerick supporter I always fear Cork. They always give us a right game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Nah, Waterford were in the final last year, they're on the up for definite

Realistically we could see any of those teams in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

The county is known as the "rebel county", a name given to it by King Henry VII of England for its support, in a futile attempt at a rebellion in 1491, of Perkin Warbeck, who claimed to be Richard of Shrewsbury, Duke of York.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Id imagine tipp v wat will be in cork and cork v dub in thurles to maximise crowds. The attendances need to be upped to at least 10/15000 for these matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

If Waterford and Cork win I presume it's Limerick v Waterford in the Semi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Disagree. Limerick's to lose, but based on current form I tip Waterford, as long as they're not too drained and if they play with the same brio as last Saturday, to topple Tipp. Momentum is a great thing when you're winning and Cahill will of course know the Tipp team very well. Cork look to be charmed; a hairtrigger away from being beaten at the death on Saturday, they should have a good bit to spare over a moderate Dublin team and would face a very beatable KK team in the semi'. They *might* be different and unpredictable enough to have a good go at Limerick in the final. Hard to see the latter being dethroned by Waterford in the other semi'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Are the following permutations correct?

• Tipperary & Dublin win - then the semi-finals are Limerick vs Dublin / KK vs Tipp (because provincial finalists cannot meet in semi-finals)
    • Tipperary & Cork win - then the semi-finals are Limerick vs Cork / KK vs Tipp (because Munster provincial finalists cannot meet in semi-finals)
    • Waterford & Dublin win - then the semi-finals are Limerick vs Dublin / KK vs Waterford (because Leinster provincial finalists cannot meet in semi-finals)
    • Waterford & Cork win - then the semi-finals are Limerick vs Waterford / KK vs Cork (repeat pairings are avoided (Limerick vs Cork)))

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Perinho

Thats how I understand it too..

Limericks to lose I think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

No. That's over-complicating it. The semi finals will be the Munster champions (Limerick) v the Leinster runners up (Dublin)/Qualifier team. The other semi final is the opposite. The draw automatically avoids provincial final repeats but if the provincial runners up are beaten in the quarter finals (as will likely happen here). This has been the format for years. 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

So you're saying that if Waterford & Cork both win, then Limerick will play Cork again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I am saying that Limerick will play the winners of Dublin/Cork irrespective of what happens in the other match.

It's the same system as every other year but seems to cause confusion annually for some reason.

But I have no doubt we'll have to wait and actually see it happening before it's accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

You're wrong. Only way Waterford avoid Limerick is if Dublin beat Cork. Confusion indeed.

I said in 1900. Most places got going by 1920.

Certain counties like to claim greater 'Irishness' due to actions at certain periods. Usually the most recent.

However, few will know that Kilkenny and Laois were two of the most active counties in the tithe war in the 1830s. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrickshock_incident

Cusack's rant about counties opposing sweepers (i.e. Kilkenny) being effected by colonialism is very hard to stomach. It's this Cork, we are better than everyone else attitude. Christy Ring this that and the other. Imagine Ursula Jacob bringing up Nicky Rackard constantly.

Patrick Horgan is one reason to want Cork to win an All Ireland. But it's been great not having to listen to the BS from a winning Cork for 16 years.

Back in 2004 and 2005 we had to listen to them telling us how they reinvented the game, their nutrition and hydration etc.

Post edited by External Association on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I'll give you a few more recent examples. 'Lazy Posting' - hilarious.

So what was the excuse v Waterford in 2017 AI Semi when Cork were beginning to assert themselves before a red card and a capitulation?

Or the excuse in 2018 AI Semi when Cork were well clear of Limerick and basically begged Limerick to beat them in the final 10 and extra time?

Or the excuse in 2019 AI QF when Kilkenny bullied (like men against boys) Cork in the 2nd half in Croke Park?

Or the excuse last year when Tipperary outhurled Cork for 55 minutes of the game and beat them despite having nearly as many wides as scores?

Most of the current team played some part in those matches. They continually bottle any chance they get. They may get themselves into a Semi Final again by virtue of drawing the weakest team in the QF - though the Dublin Covid absentees might have something to say about that. And if they got to the SF, whether it's Kilkenny or Limerick, they'll be soundly beaten to the surprise of very few people from outside of Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Kilkenny weren't playing at the weekend, so if avoiding bias in the concern then they're exactly who should have been on. Arguably.

If you don't mind biased commentary in principle then what is your point ?

I prefer unashamed bias to what we have now - paralysis by analysis, loving the sound of their own media voices, tight-suited manspreading BS. And token females.

Waterford and Cork to go through.

Hon the Cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Inane nonsense out of you.

If we simply 'accept' rules, then rules can never change. And never would have.

Rules do change though, because issues are discussed, highlighted, debated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭smillingsam

I think Tipp will beat Waterford, the 3 weeks in a row, and having to play the second half a man down against Galway might just catch up with Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think Tipp would beat Waterford even without all the things you listed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

I give Dublin a serious chance against Cork.

Tipp v Waterford 60/40 to Tipp. 2 weeks is just a right break. They'll be hurting. Cool weather forecast suit the older Tipp legs.

Cork v Dublin 60/40 to Cork. Something tells me Dublin with the Covid players back will tare into it. But Cork's hurling should see them through. Once/if Cork get to the semis we'll see their worth. The draw saved England all the way to the finals and they were eventually found out in the Euros. It may only take Cork one step less.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Kilkenny are in an AI semi by virtue of geography.

Beat a very average Wexford team that were subsequently beaten by Clare and beat a Covid ravaged Dublin team who had overcome an inept Galway.

• Advertisement

No point continuing this and I'll bow to your inferior knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I don't think Cork are a banker at all v Dublin and I think Cork will need be sharp to win this.

It won't be too much in it. Dublin will give us a fight but we might just have those attacking options that Dublin lack a little

Cork by 3-4 points

Tipp and Waterford is hard call. Tipp have nice 2 week break but Waterford were excellent against Galway and I thought even when Galway came back at them they did not crumble like they might have of old.

Tipp by 2 points but I would not put house on it for sure.

That's the reply you'd expect from an arrogant Cork man. They even over estimate their sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Kilkenny are a top 4 team in this country so regardless of the petty Leinster/Munster shite, they are a team that deserves to be there.

I think they'll have a serious point to prove with the Covid lads back in the fold and having been written off by many as the weakest team still involved.

Unfortunately they are the weakest team of the four even with the Covid boys so I do give them a chance, but a small one.

Despite this accident they hammered Cork, boys against men, when both teams had most of their 2021 players, in 2019. Infact they've been hammering them for 15 years now.

Anything to be said for another strike?😉

Must be said that Cork 0-19 Kilkenny 0-14 in the 2013 quarter-final is the least emphatic hammering Cork have taken from Kilkenny during that time. Cork were reasonably competitive for a fair bit of that game. If it wasn't a parallel universe they might even have won it.

• Advertisement

You're only going back 15 years now..earlier you were going back to 1900.

Make up your mind.

What a senseless post. Discussing two different topics.

You should go back before 1900 as you're cutting out a lot of Cork's earlier successes.

Forgot that one Liz. KK were drained after beating the mighty Tipp the week previously i imagine. The 2012 semi, now that was a parallel universe. Lar decided he was a defender of John Doyle's quality. Oh better not mention an 8 time all Ireland winner from your county, you probably never heard of him.

KK have beaten Wexford and Dublin and they're in an AI semi final watching others flake shite out of each other in a heatwave for the right to play them.

Clare have beaten Waterford and Wexford and they're out.

Fair play to Kilkenny for beating Wexford and Dublin (conquerors of Galway who won an All Ireland as recently as 2017 and could easily have won in 2018).

If Cork played in Leinster they could have lost to Wexford, Galway, Dublin or Kilkenny.

As for the heatwave, that's coincidence, Brian Cody didn't order it. And the temperatures were in the mid 20s when KK beat Wexford after extra time. No Munster match went to extra time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement