Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

People seem to forget Alvarez TKO'd current fan favourite Justin Gaethje. Alvarez wasnt near GOAT level but he wasn't a bum either, if the Alvarez that fought Justin showed up for the Conor fight, hed do a hell of a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

The biggest stroke of luck McGregor ever had was RDA getting injured, he would've wrecked him and the whole champ champ thing and boxing stuff would've never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Is this all there is to life? How much money one has in their bank?

Being polite gets you nowhere?

What is or where is nowhere?

Is life really this shallow, dim, dull that being polite now is not good enough?

Indeed just 'cos one scumbag has managed to make money is that the way forward now?

To be a scumbag?

That's the sort of attitude that was on display at the funerals of those N7 lads.

The sort of attitude that McGregor himself has unfortunately helped spread.

GSP, the polite guy, will go down on the GOAT list.

Conor won't.

It's that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Instagram and the likes have really elevated this look at me with all my money shoite and lots of people now seem to be more interested in vain tools showing off how much crap they buy than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

You could goto mass on sunday and get the same outlook as Fury and Manny, its not quite wife beating however distasteful it is. I blame the church for that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Best to just shut down this thread now till the next Mcgregor fight is announced. The amount of horsesh1t being posted on here has reached peak manure levels. 95% of posters here know nothing about ass-whooping another guy dressed only in a skimpy shorts and meatn2veg protector.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Financially and how it worked out for him yes ......but MMA career wise I'm not sure, the Diaz battles might not have happened and nobody would have missed them, pointless fights ...............the McGregor that beat Alvarez would have taken RDA for my money, and who knows after that? being one not to defend belts he might have gone after Woodley at 170 ......far more gettable than what has followed in Usman (just too scary to even contemplate)

2 belts at different weights was an incredible story, if he'd have added a third it would have been off the scale bonkers

(the main point I forgot to add, he would have got wrecked by the man who got battered by the man he destroyed just a few months after........how does that crystal ball work?)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It's the mindset of the closed-minded buffoon.

Money is nice, but certain people get it into their heads that acquiring money is not only the #1 goal in life, but that money is the only currency that exists.

This isn't the case. There are many many different currencies.

Respect, class, integrity for a start. These are all genuine social currencies.

More than that, fighters like McGregor, GSP, Jones and whoever when they start out they are not only dreaming of being rich, but they are dreaming of being a champion. And not just wearing the gold, but they look towards beloved champions of the past and want to be loved like them. Let's not pretend that these things are not important. Would you be happy if your missus told you she was starting an Only Fans? Chances are you would not, even if she was going to be making £15,000 a month at it!

Granted, a lot of people don't realise or completely ignore the importance of these things and focus just on money. But let's get something straight, one of those people is NOT Conor McGregor. When he does the Billy walk and he gives it socks about his bank balance, that's cute and all but if that was all that he cared about he would have retired after the Floyd fight. And he certainly would have retired to a hammock after the whiskey deal. He doesn't need the money, but he needs other social currencies to feed his ego and his desire to be loved and respected. He wants a legacy, he wants to be remembered as the best, he wants statues built of him and streets to be named after him just like the classic champions of the past have. He wants to be able to show his kids and grandkids down the line his belts and his trophies and his accomplishments.

Bringing his bank balance into things is extremely lazy. The real reason for him continuing to fight is to acquire all of those things that money can't buy!

• Advertisement

this is more about the fact that the money is used in his defence when all other arguments fail

• Registered Users Posts: 38,372 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

McGregor is a very lucky guy, everything fell into place for him and he made ridiculous money. He helped it along obviously with his media presence and fast knockouts.

The luck is still there, I think he was going to lose again but a broken leg means we can't actually prove that.

If Dustin is smart he takes the title fight, wins and fights McGregor for the title after that. If he's really smart he loses that fight, has a rubber match and it'll leave him the second biggest earner in the history of MMA only behind Conor.

Whether you love or hate McGregor you can't take away how much he's done to bring UFC into the mainstream.

A champion who never defended their title can never be considered a true great.

Goat of money making, I suppose. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 38,372 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Who suggested he's in the GOAT conversation?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Just perusing the thread there and this made me laugh out loud. 😀

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

And there will always be haters focusing on his loses and belittling his success. As with anything in life, the extreme views are rarely balanced an accurate.

Standard McGregor revisionist history. same thing happened to Aldo - who turned into a washed up never was after he lost. Diaz was an elite black belt after the first fight, and a journeyman after the second. I think the only one that was fair was Cowboy. Even really obvious scoring gets twisted after the fact.

I think the leg injury is ammo for the same in future for both sides. Unless it's a 3-5 round comprehensive win, like Khabib. Some lunatics will always take a mad view.

No one can take his featherweight run away from him. The Alvarez win was obviously great.

Nothing else of note since. It's been nearly five years since he's done anything noteworthy.

The criticism of his performances are more than justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I don't think that Conor could beat Volkanovski if he dropped down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Brendan Schaub of all people actually talked sense about Conor McGregor recently, I didn't believe it until I saw the video myself. He goes out of his way to point out how much he still loves the guy and is a "dick rider" of his but the rest of it was pretty spot on.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Have you heard of Dana White, I thank him for bringing the UFC to the mainstream, thank the scaldy knacker for bringing it to the spuds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭DodoDojo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

An inordinate number of users of this site appear to care about earning power how wealthy McGregor is when it comes to discussion of actual fights and sports fandom. Really bizarre stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭xtal191

Classy as always

bUT hE hAz loAdzAH MoNEy!!!!

Poking at the death of the man's father. Disgusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

He's a thug and a scumbag. 90% of people in Ireland know that and the American's are finally coming around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭crybaby

When it comes to that Ali bloke I wouldn't blame him one little bit for crossing the line.

I don't understand.

Ali is a scumbag, so it's ok for Conor to make fun of the fact that Khabib's father died?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He has no character. Simple as that really.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

The worst one was when McGregor claimed Khabib was using his father's (Abdulmanap) illness to hide from fights. (when McGregor was supposedly "retired" himself)

At the time the father was in intensive care in an induced coma.

He died a week later.

“I figured it was all just a cover-up about Abdulmanap. A cover-up to hide the lack of activity and the pulling out of fights and running away. Good luck but remember – Allah sees all!”

And before someone says this was in reply to Khabib's manager - so what?

McGregor had previous to this said that Khabib's father smelled of sh1t also.

With this latest one you'd wonder how Khabib keeps it together - must want McGregor killed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

But Khabib did kill McGregor. He beat the **** out of him to the (hilarious) extent that McGregor was trying to calm him down in the ring.

So McGregor can continue to disgrace himself, while Khabib can take the high road, perfectly satisfied.

Advertisement