Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Are tickets for the Waterford vTipp game going to be on sale in Ticketmaster via the Centra shops does anyone know, or just through the clubs??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

Any repeats of the match at the weekend? I have nowtv sports, but it doesn't go into on demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

I would imagine the same as the previous games. A link to purchase tickets will be distributed to club secretaries to share with their members first. Once demand has eased from club members this link will then be made public via social media for the remaining tickets to be purchased by non members.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,292 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

7000 attendance will be great in that regard if it is true

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Waterford appealing the red card that gleeson got on a technicality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Rosita

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

What the technicality? It was all very bizzarre with the timing of it. TJ Ryan was on the Irish examiner podcast this morning saying Waterford should have taken him off at half time and sent him home sick 😂 interesting to see what would have happened there

in fairness it was definetly no worse than Aaron Gillanes swing last week which everyone saw in real time and it only warranted a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Read elsewhere apparently the technicality is to do with the red card being issued at the start of the second half rather than directly after the incident. Not sure what the rule book says in relation to any statute of limitations for issuing cards though so unsure how successful it will be. My guess is the red will stand

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

As a matter of interest what are peoples views of the comment "striking with the hurley", just as an example last Saturday, Conor Gleeson gets a straight red, misses the entire second half of the match and probably an All Ireland Quarter Final, yet Dathai Burke clearly strikes Jack Fagan as he lines up to score his goal with a very similar pull across the shoulder, but Fagan continues scores the goal, making nothing of it, so Burke walks away without a booking , Galway continues with 15 men for the rest of the game and not even a mention of it in the aftermath - I am not saying Burke should have been sent of either, but yet both incidents are "striking with the hurley". and almost identical except for the reaction of the player being struck.

Donal Og was very quick to point out that two wrongs don't make a right, but there is a serious inconsistency with referees decisions during games, and the cost of this inconsistency can be massive on a player and his team, but yet nothing seems to be being done about this. This is what causes so much frustration between players and supporters alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

The refs will never pick up all of the striking incident. If you do it you run the risk of being caught. If you're caught you can have no complaints.

It's frustrating seeing similar incidents go unpunished, but that's just the way it is. It has no place in the game and intentional striking should be a red card.

I do hope Conor Gleeson gets off. I'm fed up of us suffering from these things, but he did deserve the red and deserves the suspension. Not that what he did was the worst thing in the world, but the punishment was appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

The question for me, if the half time break hadn’t arrived when it did, would the outcome have been different? It seemed that after half time whistle being blown, Joe thrown on the ground for 5 mins like he’d been shot by a sniper, led to the discussion with the umpires and the referee before they entered the tunnel which obviously led to the decision of the red card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

When it comes to red cards for striking, I don't think there's anything to be gained by pointing out other people got away with something similar. No two incidents are exactly alike, and the solution is in your hands, i.e. don't go striking in the first place. However, the sight of Joe Canning heading off in a sling only to re-emerge in one piece for the second half leaves a sour taste in the mouth. Let's be charitable and call it play-acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭MfMan

Be even more charitable and say he had to receive an injection at ht to continue. This coming off the back of a thumb injury sustained v Waterford in the league match.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Montys return

Don't think he was feigning injury at all, but personally I think when you try and trip someone you can't complain if you get a slap. Fully merited

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

have to say I just couldn’t see that performance coming last Saturday. fair play to all the first 55 minutes were probably the best we have played under Cahill and in fairness they kept their cool in the last quarter when it looked like Galway were going to reel us in. Taught Stephen Bennett was massive in this period and showed massive leadership. Probably would have preferred to get Dublin but Tipp it is. We definitely have the legs to take Tipp on but I suppose the big worry is how much the last two games have taken out of us. It will be interesting see what kind of a team Tipp will name. A lot of their fans seem to be calling for some of the younger lads to start and hold the likes of callinan and Noel McGrath in reserve for the last 20 when we may start to tire. From our own point of view barring injuries it will be the same team (apart from gleeson of course) will daly come back in for him if fit? (Did daly play corner back in league vs Limerick?) in relation to the sending off I think joe being down for 5 minutes and then going off with his hand in a sling definitely swayed the refs decision but if you swing out like that you are asking for trouble (unless you wear a limerick jersey of course) hard to see the appeal being successful but you never know in the gaa

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

What part of the body did he receive the injection into? I'm very curious as he doesn't go down holding his arm, wrist, hand or elbow and the contact appears to be much lower. So I still can't understand why the need for the jersey to be used as a sling?

No idea about training and stuff but would there be very little physical training done by us this week esp with the 3 matches in a row

Best of the luck to the Minors tonight. Bloody sick of playing Tipperary underage

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Lots of valid points and I agree, under the rule Striking with the Hurley is a sending off offence under the strict rule of the game, unless it appears to be used to prevent a goal scoring opportunity inside the 21 when it becomes a sin-bin and a penalty, aka Shane Fives versus Clare !!!

It appears that referees are very much influenced by the circumstances rather than the action , Seamus Flanagan could have broken Paudie Maher's neck using the hurley as a clothesline, but doesn't get sent off, why - because it was considered rough or reckless play rather than striking!!

I just feel that there needs be be more definition

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

So far so good, even with 5 wides already.

• Advertisement

Great stuff from us so far, goal was excellent

Are Waterford that good or Tipp just awful ; the former I think. Some bad wides on both sides but surely won’t be caught even if the wind is with Tipp in 2nd half but that seems negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

wow ... what a first half, up 1-14 to 0-5 at half time, we aren't used to this!!

This new strategic plan seems to be showing some promise with the minors playing that nice brand of hurling similar to the seniors

Nice lead to have but as know all too well from last few weeks leads in hurling can easily be clawed at we need to keep focused

I’ve heard Patrick Fitzgerald referred to as as the new Paul Flynn … I can see why.

Careless play there

Yesss

That will hopefully seal it, some great prospects

Well done lads

We lost focus there when Tipp started banging in goals but we didn't panic and its great to get the win at that level and into a Munster final against Cork (who beat Limerick 1-24-1-14)

Winner of the Munster final straight through to the All Ireland final. Galway vs Leinster winner (Wexford or Kilkenny) in the All Ireland Semi final

Final on August 9th ; neutral venue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Great performance, particularly in the first half. Great attitude and work rate added to skill and, what's often been missing for us, size. Cork are being spoken of very highly but that was impressive tonight.

Advertisement