Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters Of The Universe: Revelation - Netflix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

In this case I'd say it's ones giving bad user reviews due to the Teela:He-Man radio. And paid reviewers probably didn't want to make the same complaint for fear of being called sexist.

I think usually about now Kevin Smith and/or Sarah Michelle Gellar would be getting death threats. Or is that just for videogames?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The tv reviewer on Seán Moncrieff’s show, on Newstalk, said something about the cartoon being “review bombed” on RottenTomatoes etc.

The implicating being that angry middled aged men on the internet weren’t happy with female main characters and the like. Doesn’t sound too “far fetched”, to be honest.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

It’s definitely not far-fetched, the same thing happened with the Ghostbusters remake a few years ago, and Captain Marvel: a small minority of angry men on the internet took a dislike to a programme/film for having female leads and tried to drown it in bad reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Plenty of women reviewers not liking it either, god forbid someone gives a bad review to something. Imagine Ms marvel getting a show and  hawkeye being the main character for the majority of the episodes. Im sure that would go down well.

He-Man isn’t strictly speaking the main character though, he certainly isn’t the titular character like Captain Marvel or She-Hulk are. Masters of the Universe is an ensemble piece.

• Advertisement

The war for Eternia begins again in what may be the final battle between He-Man and Skeletor.

The main premise revolves around the conflict between He-Man (the alter ego of Prince Adam) against Skeletor on the planet Eternia, with a vast lineup of supporting characters in a hybrid setting of medieval sword and sorcery and sci-fi technology

Yeah that’s Wikipedia, man. They don’t make the rules of how a programme’s revamp should be made.

The war for Eternia begins again in what may be the final battle between He-Man and Skeletor. A new animated series from writer-director Kevin Smith

Thats from netflix think they did the show right? use google if that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The show itself is decent. It's not amazing but the story isn't bad and there are some very nice moments in it. I watched it with my 8 year old who loved it. (He even chose to keep watching the last 3 episodes in a row, over getting back to his usual media preference of Roblox reviews on youtube. So it obviously really captivated him.) But for He-man to come back pretty much without He-man is going to be genuinely disappointing for fans. If these episodes were an arc in the middle of a returned series, I think they'd have been far less divisive. For He-man to come back, immediately get rid of He-man, Adam and Skeletor, then completely sideline all the male characters in favour of having the only two female warrior characters go on a mission at the behest of the only other female main character, alongside a brand new character, also female. While the multitude of male characters are sidelined or not even mentioned, is at least a little bit deliberately provocative.

And in any other show of the era, it could be argued as redressing the balance. If M.A.S.K. came back with an arc about Gloria Baker, Thundercats with a strong focus on Cheetara or, best of all, Defenders of the Earth based around Jeda it would be extremely satisfying for all of the middle aged women who loved these cartoons as kids but were always left feeling a bit on the edge of them, as the female characters were absolutely tokenistic and it was obvious that these shows weren't ever really made for us. But He-man had She-ra, not only a whole action show filled with female characters. But actually the slightly stronger of the two shows with a better animation budget and a little bit more depth to it's writing as writers like Joe Straczynski penned some of the episodes. Obviously it would be better not to have a 'boys show' and a 'girls show' but one show written for everyone to enjoy but back then, getting our own show was amazing and we've already had that rebooted. (Even if it was shÏte.) It's easy for me to understand why this has real annoyed so many old fans and it probably was done like this for no other reason than to generate exactly this controversy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Grace Randolph summed it up by saying it wasnt lifting up certain characters thats the problem its the downgrading of others that goes with it and then shock horror a lot of existing fans will be turned off. At least I hope the show makers are self aware and know exactly what they are doing? but if so its a peculiar one all the same. Maybe they are just going for a swathe of people who are parents now whos only memory is they they liked the show as a kid but couldnt name more than 2 characters if pushed but they hope they and their kids watch whatever this is now?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Nonsense, the Ghostbusters got bad reviews cos it was a terrible terrible film, stop trying to politicize it.

Before its release the outrage over a mainly-female cast was palpable, maybe you don't remember that but I certainly do.

Maybe if they came out with a new story-line for Ghostbusters and not a gender swap perhaps if might have done alot better, but they took the lazy way out, will we get Tomb Raider with a man in the role no we wont, it would get the same outrage if they did that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

To be honest I think review-bombing anything in a concerted manner as soon as it comes out is counter-productive. Probably more people know about the show because of it. It seems like the fans have been lied to but perhaps the quality of the show doesnt justify a "1" score in imdb or metacritic/rotten tomatoes. I think after the campaign to downvote the Boys for its season 2 release schedule I have taken these review-bombing campaigns with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Ah c'mon now, all the muted films that have been in development hell for years and casting speculation have centred around one character and it's He-Man, Skeletor second.

He's got a good supporting cast and rogues gallery but make no mistake - it is and always has been his.

I didn't even have an issue with this self contained story which I actually enjoyed, but there's no need to be disingenuous in making a point.

So Indiana Jones or the upcoming Uncharted film?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Lara Croft literally based off Indiana Jones then all well and good when you are oblivious to it it now seems hahahah.

Based off, not the same story or locations

Based off yes the same way Ghostbusters 2016 is based on Ghostbusters 1984 words fail you.

Still though, even this attempted amendment in desperation is an utter flop. Either you haven't played the video game or watched the films but in the first conception of both they are archaeologists who are on the hunt for various rare treasures and the countries that they head to for the most part are Peru,Greece and Egypt.

The Ghostbusters franchise was always set in New York, New York confirmed for the next one too.

Didn't know indiana Jones was the very first film about treasure and artifact hunting and that it had the monolopy on the genre. All the movies that came out before must be based on indiana jones as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm actually very confused about who is making what point now. But just thought I'd add to the confusion with a useless bit of trivia. The actual original Ghost Busters were two men called Kong and Spencer and their gorilla Tracy. Columbia Pictures had to buy the rights to the name Ghostbusters for the 1984 movie we all know and love, from Filmation who produced the original series. Then there was a whole cartoon war when Columbia also released a Ghostbusters cartoon based on their movie, which Filmation believed they had not sold the rights to. Filmation decided to release their own cartoon called Ghostbusters about Kong and Spencer's sons and Tracy. So Columbia had to rename their cartoon The Real Ghostbusters.

Filmation who made both of the gorilla ghost buster series also made He-man and She-ra. Joe Straczynski produced and wrote for both She-Ra with Filmation and The Real Ghostbusters for Columbia.

Tracy was apparently a male gorilla even though as a child I always assumed he was female. In at least two episodes of The Real Ghostbusters Janine put on a jumpsuit and busted some ghosts.

Yeah your posts certainly suggest a trend of not knowing you could at least give some examples than a blanket statement, hoping for the best at this stage me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think it's pretty clear that being the first 5 episodes in a two-part first season, it's designed to give focus to other characters so the show isn't all about He-Man, but the second half will be more about doing what's required to bring He-Man back to a level where he can defeat Skeletor.

They're not sidelining him, just knocking him down for a bit so he comes back stronger and overcomes the villain.

Their big mistake was splitting it into two parts. There's no need for that when the first season is likely only 10 episodes. They would have been better holding off and airing the season as a whole which would include He-Man coming back to power and being the primary hero in the story again.

Didnt think I would need to. Im sure plenty of people know but your just coming back with nonsense. Here is one im sure its enough.

King Solomon's Mines

Anyway, I think it's probably because I recently watched The Toys That Made Us, but they really seemed to enjoy getting as much fan service in as possible with vehicles and weapons and some minor character roles.

And the flying discs were from the film?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Lara Croft was a new character, big difference then replacement.

Not sure where the confusion lies?

Original point by the Terryduffster was that there would be outrage at a male Lara Croft to which he was informed actually she's based on indiana Jones, this was the intention stated many times by the games creator and easily searched.

Then out of nowhere he moved on that location was actually his gripe despite the levels in Tomb Raider randomly being set in the very same corners of the globe as Raiders of the lost Ark. Funny man.

Now there are bigger and more influential films that predate that franchise apparently and when asked to give examples he chooses King Solomons Mines,never seen the original but one of the remakes with Sharon Stone was off the back of Indiana Jones success and a complete rip off,the guys a character I'll give him that.

Never questioned why the cartoon was called the Real Ghostbusters when I was younger actually. Watched all the films very recently and the 2016 one defo cites being based on the 1984 concept it wasn't a poor movie because of the female direction it was a poor movie coz it just wasn't very good but at that tis only marginally worse than the original sequel whose formula was the very same as the first also.

A new character with very similar traits is essentially a replacement in my book anyway .

Dr. Erin or whatever sure she was a new character but a clear replacement for Venkman at least that was my understanding.

Didnt have a gripe just using examples you have gone down the road of insulting my name for some reason. You never watched the original King Solomon's Mines but then talk about a remake of it which came out after indiana jones . Tomb raider was a game first indiana jones as far as I know was a movie first no remake in that sense. Your just nit picking and give sly digs at me when I haven't said anything personally to you. Sad times you have a need to be at this.

• Advertisement

I'm clarifying what are assumptions by you as incorrect if that quantifies as nitpicking by you won't find me apologising not sure how I insulted your name either.

My Knowledge of King Solomons Mines is the remake I'm sorry to say however but yes never heard much tell the original was a worthy predecessor to Indiana Jones.

You were the one who brought up Lara Croft sorry I'm pretty much a 90s kid where Speilberg and computer games were go tos.

Advertisement