Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

I don't think that either is greatly different to each other. Had Galway come through I would have feared them more. Waterford I feel are always a streaky team, they get runs on you here and there in a game and score heavily in patches (I've no factual basis for this, others might) Cork keep clipping away. With Cork's new found fondness for going for goals they're a more dangerous animal.

I thought in the league game against them we totally dominated the second half, we should have bet 'em out the gate but they broke through for a goal and a couple of points and we ended up in a draw.

Personally I think Cork would be slightly the better draw, but I don't think there's much in it.

I didn't see either game yesterday but you can see Cahill's fingerprints on Waterford. Moving Shane Bennet to centre back, not a natural centre back but a tigerish championship hurler, over two years moving the team to all really hard workers, it has all the hall marks of a Cahill team. Pacy and direct, would love to see him in the Tipp job.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

whoever we get it’s going to be Tough for tipp to win

boht cork and Waterford will want tipp as that gives them to access to opposite side of Limerick

Maybe It would be more fitting if it’s Waterford that send us out

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

Agree , would rather Cork. Would expect Waterford to beat dublin. Could Waterford take down Limerick ? , I’d reckon they could. Will have studied how Tipp opened them up and they certainly would have the legs to keep it going. Will have to wait and see . I think we’d be well able for cork . Apart from the second half V limerick, have we not showed great fight and battling qualities this championship ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Obviously being down to 14 men compounded it, but i still think Waterford have a tendency to be undermanned up front and that might suit us, if it turned out that way. When Pauric gets space and plenty of possession we often do well and it gives a lift. But we'd still have to compete around the middle third. I'd be 50-50ish about it.

I'm generally good with Cork because they're a clean, good hurling side and usually let you play your game and it comes down to whether you're good enough. Don't get too caught up on tactics, though we know they are going to try and expose us with speed and running through our back line. It was an exciting game yesterday but i didn't think the quality was exceptional or anything. No guarantees but I'd make tipp slight favourites to win that.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

Both possible opponents would be tough but I'd take Waterford. They ran through is in the last 40 mins of the league but if we are caught like that a second time that's on us. They were poor against Laois and Galway were dire for 55 mins yesterday. Third week out in a row won't help them either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I'd rather Cork, they are the weaker side out of the two but think our lads will get a bigger lift from beating them than beating Waterford, just because of who they are.

Think we'll win that with a few points to spare.

Cork have been afraid of us for a long time, like we were of them for a few years around the early/mid 00's. They always let us play our game and (2017 aside) even when we are hitting wides for fun like last year or when we let them run up a big lead with the first half like 2018 - we have had their number for a long time.

We have lads that have been in must win situations and come through them so many times. They have lads that have flopped every time they met those situations.

I'd be more worried about Waterford but we would have enough for them over the 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

They've picked themselves up twice under Sheedy to win two All-Irelands.

Where have I suggested that Sunday is part of a master plan?

More baseless anger-led logic without evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

History has shown that we recover well from humiliating defeats and bad setbacks. It's not opinion, it's fact.

Some on here are too bruised by a game that nobody might care about in a few weeks time.

There's no point talking or obsessing over changes to the panel - those will inevitably happen after this year. Sheedy/Teneo will go, probably Cahill will come in and there isn't a better man to bring through the younger players. Give Cahill 3-4 years if he wants to oversee the rebuild.

But for now, our players have been in this position time and time again. They are proven winners and they can win again. I see no reason why we won't be playing Limerick again in a few weeks time. Hopefully we will have learnt lessons from the last game.

because Cahill ending sheedys and tipps year followed by hopefully making another final for himself and Waterford put severe pressure in tipp county board to finally do what they should have done in 2019

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I'm not sure I'd agree we have been in this position time and time again. In 2019, losing the Munster did almost no harm to our chances of winning the AI, we had Dublin or Laois in the QF. 2010 after losing to Cork we had games against very poor Wexford and Offaly sides and again probably did no real harm to our chances of winning the AI.

There is no doubt whatsoever we lessened our chances of winning the AI quite significantly by losing the Munster Final this year. To win it, we now will have to come through Cork/Waterford, KK and Limerick which will take some doing.

Having said that, I do think we have the beating of anyone bar Limerick on any given day and if we recover ok from the MF, we have a decent chance of getting to an AI

My preference in the draw is for Cork, would just be worried about the athleticism of the Waterford team and think we would cope better with Cork.

Regardless of that Cahill should have got the job in 2019 and if he had tipp would be in a better place overall

cahill got an only average Waterford to an all Ireland last year and If he gets tipp next week will get Waterford to another final this year

Cahill is an excellent manager who does not care about reputations, he only wants to win.

You are going back as far as 2010 in one instance when we had a young profile and were caught on the hop by Cork first round. 2019 was arguably the last hurrah for a lot of that team in terms of being automatic starters anyway. The team needed refreshing after 2019. It's criminal we are in this position two years later. You can only play a hand so many times.

You keep referring to previous years, completely ignoring the fact that the core of the team are in their thirties now. There is only so many times you can go back to the well. It was negligence on the managements part not to freshen things up after 2019.

And Waterford it is

i only saw the highlights but Waterford look a team who will be too young, strong, fast and with higher energy levels for tipp to handle

could be a blow out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would have preferred Cork. Thought Waterford were very good at the weekend but still almost got caught by a awful Galway team that done nothing for 50 minutes.

You'd be hoping that third game on the bounce would take its toll eventually but will Liam Cahill involved you can be sure this will be a war. Kilkenny in the semi if we can get past them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Correct me if I'm wrong but no young player has broken into the team in Sheedys 3 years. Given our age profile and the successful underage teams we've had that would have to raise a few red flags.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

No young player?

That's just plain wrong.

Who is Barry Hogan? Who is Jake Morris?

Mark Kehoe has been given chances. A number have been given many chances in the league and as subs in the championship- Byrne, Cadell, Quirke, Cian Darcy, Jerome Cahill, Brian McGrath. The Flynns were given a lot of game time since Sheedy has come in, way more than before.

Sheedy has continually looked for new blood.

It's a myth he hasn't. People with an agenda or just blindly trying to support an argument that's not true, argue he hasn't.

He can't make players take ownership of the jersey. They have to take the jersey and keep it when given the chance.

Sheedy did freshen things up after 2019. If my memory serves me right - Three players who didn't start the ALL-IRELAND final started. Kehoe, Morris, and Flynn in midfield.

Tell me the brilliant performances that have gone ignored?

I see young players learning their trade at senior level and trying to get to the pitch of it. But I don't see anyone who has deserved to nail a place really. Apart from Jake morris.

Just out of interest, tell me how many 19/20 years have broken into inter county teams and play every game in the last two years? And you don't have to pick a successful team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭shockframe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Very true. I'd love to have seen 2-3 young lads breaking through but reality is they missed almost an entire year of hurling last year and that's hurt us. Same for everyone of course, but our lads really could have done with it. O'Mara injury was very inopportune too, he was definitely well in the mix when that happened.

I hope we don't go down the road of detailing Dan to someone and tying up his game to marking someone.

He has far too much to offer with his own possession game to be running around after someone. They put him on Lyons in the league - hope they don't this time around.

Ideally you want someone who makes constant runs into the full forward line - get Lyons running at his own goal, not ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭shockframe

It's not just Tipp either. Galway have been affected by it too. Counties at the end of a cycle have been put out big time the last 18 months or so.

For a team with a younger profile like Limerick it's business as usual.

Tipp need to be smart with space against Waterford - they need to make sure that Waterford are running into channels that they've created and not the channels that Waterford want to run into. Ideally, Tipp need to crowd the center and the goal area. Show Waterford the wings and make them shoot from there.

I don't think Tipp need to start out defensively, but if Waterford are running and running at us, we need to try to keep the scoreboard ticking over, stay with them on the scoreboard, and once it hits 45/50 mins freshen things up with legs (O'Meara, Flynn, Kehoe, Breen, Connolly) and really go at them in that last bit of the third quarter and the last quarter.

I wonder if Willie Connors's energy is better off the bench? Possible starters? Cadell, Robert Byrne, (Maybe Brian McGrath at center back with Dan screening in front)

I wonder if Bryan O'Mara is right yet?

I'll give you Barry Hogan but Jake had broken into the team under Mick Ryan.

That's not much to show for 3 years given how strong our underage teams were. These lads aren't 19/20 anymore a lot of them are 22/23/24 now.

You might not be understanding me, i'm not criticizing or blaming Sheedy what i'm saying is that these young lads for whatever reason have stopped developing and progressing and that's something i'd be worried about as a good few of the players are over 30 and won't be around for ever.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Jake had a few sub appearances. Certainly wasn't in the team.

People on here seem to think that because you've won a few underage titles that you're going to rock into a senior inter county team. Doesn't work like that.

Loads of lads being developed. And the reality is, most won't make it. That's just the way it is. The team Sheedy brought along in 2010 was exceptional. How many went on into the team 5 or 6? Also they were coming into a team that hadn't success in nearly 10 years. 5 ot 6 from one team is the exception. Sheedy had no problem playing teenagers then because they performed.

For those that do make it, it will take time, if they do make it. That's hurling.

WHo is 23/24 that hasn't made the team and who is to blame? But that's just what happens. Most successful underage players, never mind unsuccessful, don't make the senior grade. That's the way it's always been, and alway will.

Also, a few of fine hurlers make it "late" - 27/28.

All Sheedy can do is give them a chance and they can take it or not. Quirke when he came on against Clare, struggled to rise the ball. I'm not pointing fingers at him or anyone. But senior is pressure and it will take players time to adapt if they do.

A lot of posters, not saying you, are pointing the finger at Sheedy for this. It doesn't make sense. They'll be blaming Sheedy for the knockavilla transfer saga next.

Waterford v Tipperary at 1.30pm in Cork, on RTÉ

7,000 attendance?

• Advertisement

Positives are tipp have played in cork this championship and Waterford are going in as favourites

that does give tipp a chance

Advertisement