Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Came across this earlier today

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/nissan/leaf/fpa/202106043476823?journey=Search

There's no mention of the battery capacity but on the 8th photo in it shows 84km and it looks to me like the battery is charged to 7 bars out of 12 if you include the red bars

As I am not familiar with electric cars but want to learn more to eventually buy one... Am I correct in reading it correctly that it is saying it should have a range on 100% charge of 144km (12*84/7) making it the 40kWh model?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Came across this earlier today

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/nissan/leaf/fpa/202106043476823?journey=Search

There's no mention of the battery capacity but on the 8th photo in it shows 84km and it looks to me like the battery is charged to 7 bars out of 12 if you include the red bars

As I am not familiar with electric cars but want to learn more to eventually buy one... Am I correct in reading it correctly that it is saying it should have a range on 100% charge of 144km (12*84/7) making it the 40kWh model?

The Guess o meter really depends on recent previous driving style. Drive fast use aircon etc and the range drops.
    Off the top of my head I would say this is a 30kwh leaf just based on it being a 161 car.
    My 30kwh in eco mode and my nice relaxed driving can do around 180km in the summer from a full charge

The Guess o meter really depends on recent previous driving style. Drive fast use aircon etc and the range drops.
    Off the top of my head I would say this is a 30kwh leaf just based on it being a 161 car.
    My 30kwh in eco mode and my nice relaxed driving can do around 180km in the summer from a full charge

Sorry i meant 30kWh... All I'm wondering is if I'm reading it correctly in the 8th image... Ie the battery is approx. 60% charged and it's showing 84km left in the tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Sorry i meant 30kWh... All I'm wondering is if I'm reading it correctly in the 8th image... Ie the battery is approx. 60% charged and it's showing 84km left in the tank?

That's about right.
    But like I said the Guess o meter is based on recent driving style. So if whoever was driving this last had a heavy foot and the aircon on full blast the expected range will drop on the guess o meter.

If this was me driving that car (assuming it is a 30kwh) in eco mode for 10km that range would increase.
    Or it could be a 24kwh. I would suggest verifying that with the dealer rather than taking my guess on it though

Edit: Just checked cartell and it is a 30kwh
    https://www.cartell.ie/ssl/servlet/beginStarLookup?registration=161mh5628

That's about right.
    But like I said the Guess o meter is based on recent driving style. So if whoever was driving this last had a heavy foot and the aircon on full blast the expected range will drop on the guess o meter.

If this was me driving that car (assuming it is a 30kwh) in eco mode for 10km that range would increase.
    Or it could be a 24kwh. I would suggest verifying that with the dealer rather than taking my guess on it though

Edit: Just checked cartell and it is a 30kwh
    https://www.cartell.ie/ssl/servlet/beginStarLookup?registration=161mh5628

Thanks I didn't realise cartell give you battery capacities for free

This changes things hugely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭d0157063

hello all

I read lots of posts here and finally asking this question. Out FF 09 is almost end of life and intend to go for electric now. Initially wanted Tesla Model S then ID4 but pocket only allowing Leaf 40. This would be first time buying new car and electric. Windsor are offering 0% interest on new cars, with around 3K deposit and EMI, it could soon become reality. Is it that simple or am I completely missing something. please advise. slow Charger can be installed for our estate

Also some of the experts suggested to go for 2nd hand for first timers- I am checking on that too - but is there any separate forum to check ? For normal petrol, we have base of 10-15K per year, any similar statistics for EV?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

d0157063 wrote: »
    hello all

I read lots of posts here and finally asking this question. Out FF 09 is almost end of life and intend to go for electric now. Initially wanted Tesla Model S then ID4 but pocket only allowing Leaf 40. This would be first time buying new car and electric. Windsor are offering 0% interest on new cars, with around 3K deposit and EMI, it could soon become reality. Is it that simple or am I completely missing something. please advise. slow Charger can be installed for our estate

Also some of the experts suggested to go for 2nd hand for first timers- I am checking on that too - but is there any separate forum to check ? For normal petrol, we have base of 10-15K per year, any similar statistics for EV?

Thanks

Couple of questions to ensure you make at least an informed decision.

1. Do you have a drive way?
    2. You mention charger in estate - unless you have own driveway this is probably not going to happen.
    3. 40kwh will do approx 180kms/200kms mixed driving less than 180kms if doing motorway at 120kmph
    4. The 20% to 80% charge (60%) will do approx 110kms - this figure is important as its what you can complete after first charge on a longer journey.

Eg 140kms (down to 20%) from home, then 110kms after 1st charge stop and 110kms after each stop after (assuming perfect spacing of charge points!).

So 140kms + 110kms = 250kms with one stop etc.

After 2 charge stops it will get slow on charging.

With this in mind will the 40kwh do 99% of your journeys?

I have a 40kwh leaf since 2018 and I would consider it a mid range car - it can go large distances but it will start taking long times compared to a larger battery car. In saying all that I believe it was one of the best purchases I made, however I was doing approx 550kms in and out of Dublin a week and this made it very cost effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Has anybody logged on to Nissan Connect or You+ lately. I can log in to cq5.prod.nissan.eu/ but nothing works, no route planner, historic data etc. Nissan you+ is just "book a service".
    I know the website was Adobe Flash heavy, so did they move to another tech?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

3. 40kwh will do approx 180kms/200kms mixed driving less than 180kms if doing motorway at 120kmph

Have to disagree on that unless you have lost health on yours .. leaf 40 owner for a year and I was doing 180km easily at 100kmph (gps speed) on motorway during the week. Was maintaining 15kw average on the trip.

Range depends on how you drive it and the conditions... but on a day to day on local/national roads doing 90 or under you will get 220km 240km without worry, I have got more but requires real conservative driving. At least until I get the first bar drop which I hope is far away.

Leaf is a perfect city/short commute car. Fits my needs 97%of the time, the other 3% I just need to plan a bit to avail of chademo charging or have destination charger.

If you will be driving where you will need/want fast charging regularly then the leaf is not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭d0157063

Couple of questions to ensure you make at least an informed decision.

1. Do you have a drive way?
    2. You mention charger in estate - unless you have own driveway this is probably not going to happen.
    4. The 20% to 80% charge (60%) will do approx 110kms - this figure is important as its what you can complete after first charge on a longer journey.

Eg 140kms (down to 20%) from home, then 110kms after 1st charge stop and 110kms after each stop after (assuming perfect spacing of charge points!).

So 140kms + 110kms = 250kms with one stop etc.

After 2 charge stops it will get slow on charging.

With this in mind will the 40kwh do 99% of your journeys?

I have a 40kwh leaf since 2018 and I would consider it a mid range car - it can go large distances but it will start taking long times compared to a larger battery car. In saying all that I believe it was one of the best purchases I made, however I was doing approx 550kms in and out of Dublin a week and this made it very cost effective.

thanks @kennethsmyth for detailed reply, appreciated. Leaf wud be mostly driven by wife to work (Dun L --> Driminagh and back - 6 days)

Points 1 and 2 == yes. Charger is not in place but can be installed as informed by management company (further details awaited on slow, fast, etc) but possible.

On other note, I test drove my friends leaf 40 (201) on Sat and it seems I cannot comfortably fit my legs (I am 6.1 - ~95Kgs), the car has some unique shape blocking my left feet, small distance would be fine but def not for longer runs, hence honestly we are thinking again. leaf is spacious though then I originally thought, since i slide by seat fully back, the other person was able to sit comfortably behind me (:)). With initial analysis and 0% finance, leaf seems perfect (though i still need to visit Windsor for reality check!)

Saw ID.4 on Sunday parked on road side, looked very decent and comfortable, so probably going to research further on that. there is no 0% finance on ID4 (i am aware there is diff thread on ID.4)

Any further thoughts are welcomed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Regards LEAF and body comfort, the newest models have adjustable reach (not just height) which might make it easier to find a comfortable position so make sure to try one with that if considering new. Garages will also have 211/212 models without this feature so make sure to check as they often have stock around from the previous model year.

Not sure a 40KwH LEAF should be compared with an ID.4 or even ID.3 as generally these are only the larger battery models and are a tier above (along with longer-range LEAF). That is a different budget altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Iguarantee

Hi all,

I’m new to the world of electric vehicles and could use some advice on a purchase I’m strongly considering.

I live in a mid-terrace house with on street parking. Looking at getting a 2nd car for my very short daily commute and doing the weekly shop etc. I’ve a comfortable diesel estate for longer journeys, or hauling stuff around.

There is free EV charging at my place of work; more than a dozen (11kW) charge points and charging is free. I live approx. 1km from work and have 24/7 access to the charge points.

I’ve budgeted €10,000 for an electric vehicle. I’ve narrowed it down to a ~2015 Nissan Leaf, the Acenta 24kWh model with about 30,000km mileage is sticking out as a winner. I’ve test driven the car and was impressed, it has 11 battery health bars (out of a max of 12). Seller offers zero warranty but offers an extra 12-month warranty for €250 which I assume covers stuff like the infotainment screen etc but not the brake pads or consumables.

I would expect to drive, at most, 70km a day on a busy day, realistically it’ll be approx half that.

My budget for the car is rigid. I believe the car is competitively priced and appears to be good value. It’s an ex-rental from the UK, hence the relatively low mileage.

is there a need to deregulated or disconnect any type of user account from the sat nav or the car itself?

I’d appreciate feedback on any of the above, in particular how can one install a charging point on a kid-terrace location. I’m considering a covered trench/culvert that I could route the cable through. I can all but guarantee parking approx. 5 feet from the charging point but I cannot install a pedestal charger as I don’t want the extra cost or the aesthetic of it.

Post edited by Iguarantee on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

So a 24kWh Leaf should do the job even with 11 bars. Might not be a huge amount to spare if you're going for 70km in the depths of winter

If the budget is €10k then you might look at the 30kWh version, it has a better battery design and an 8 year warranty as opposed to 5 years

There's also the effect of range creep with an EV. People tend to buy an EV as the second car but because it's cheaper and easier to drive it rapidly becomes the main car. You might find yourself pushing to use the Leaf for longer journeys than you originally intended. Having a bit more battery gives you more flexibility in this regard

Regarding installing a home charger, you probably won't get permission to run a cable across the footpath even if it's in a gutter. It'll essentially be a charging post or nothing. In general, management companies seem more likely to allow a charger to be installed than county councils

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Thanks for the feedback.

I think that’s a good point RE the range, however, Which.co.uk found a 1mile range difference between the 24 & 30kWh variants. Unsure if that’s accurate but they’re usually on the ball

I’m reluctant to buy from a private seller as I won’t have much comeback as I’d have from a formal dealer (the lack of a warranty offered notwithstanding).

A local charge point installer advised that a pedestal may be an option. Waiting on a callback from them RE other options.

Do all 2015 Leafs have the 6.6kW charge socket on the front of the car in addition to the regular one? When did they introduce the double charging socket on the front port?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

6.6kW is the onboard charger in the car not the socket at the front of the car.

Left side is DC/Chademo, right side is AC. All Leafs have both sockets.

The only way you'll know if its a 6.6kw onboard charger and not a 3.3kW is by seeing a photo of the car charging on AC. The dash will show how long it will take to charge and the onboard charger rate.

Thanks, that clears it up for me. I thought the sockets were the key indicator for 6.6kW capability. I haven’t seen the car plugged in (and didn’t know about it when I test drove) so unsure what it has.

I’ve read that all leafs after 2013 have 6.6kW charging but then I’ve also seen loads of questions about it so not sure if it’s set in stone.

Pulled the trigger on the car I test drove, collecting tonight.

Thanks for the helpful responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

I’ve read that all leafs after 2013 have 6.6kW charging but then I’ve also seen loads of questions about it so not sure if it’s set in stone.

I'd be more thinking 2016, I had a 2015 and it was 3.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

My 2016 Acenta 24kWh had 3.3kW as well, think it was the higher trim (Tekna?) that had the option of the 6.6kW charger

It only makes a difference if you're using public AC chargers tbh, charging in 4 hours overnight isn't much of an advantage if you're sleeping for 8 hours

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Thanks.

That’s a good point. I have 24/7 access to 3-phase 11kW chargers about 1km from my house so I’m good.

Did you buy a type 2 to type 1 cable or adaptor or so public charger usually have both sockets available?

I believe the car I got has a type 1 cable and a granny cable (type 1).

If so, any cable vendor you’d recommend or warn against?

I'm thinking of a leaf 30kWh, my daily commute is a little under 100km (50km there, 50km back) the first 2-3km is through a town, the next 10km is a dodgy national road, followed by 15km on good quality national road and finally 20km on motorway,

I'll have free charging during the day as my place of work is beside a nissan garage and I have a driveway so can get a home charger fairly handy

I'm thinking there's plenty of scope for regenerative braking at the start of my journey in the mornings (and the end in the evenings)

What do others think? Good idea or bad idea?

Wife has a diesel for the longer journeys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Just to clarify for you and to avoid head scratching later.... You will only get 3.6kW from that 11kW charger regardless of whether the Leaf itself is 6kW capable or not.

The Gen 1 Leaf is not like some other EV's where it can combine two phases to get 6kW. The Leaf can only pull from one phase so when you connect to a 3-phase 11kW charger it will only be able to use one phase and hence only able to pull 3.6kW.

At home it will pull the full 6.6kW from your single phase home connection.

Now, if that charge point near your work is a 22kW charge point then the Leaf will get 6.6kW from that as each phase is capable of providing 32A (7kW).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Another clear up point or two.

You can tell the on board charger from the dash setting showing time to full charge, a 6.6 enabled car will be populated with a time and a 3.3 will have the 6.6 section blanked.

You can also stick a mobile down the side of the inverter as the plate will state the charger spec.

All 24 and 30 Leafs are either 3.3 or 6.6, the 6.6 was an expensive option at time of purchase so not many went for it. The year of the car is irrelevant.

From 40 Leafs up the standard is the 6.6 charger.

Finally, there are early Visio (lowest spec) Leafs without CHAdeMO charging but these are very rare and also in the era of battery rental so avoid avoid avoid if you ever come across one.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Be perfect for you, I had similar commute and worst case SOC in depths of Winter was getting home with 19% SOC.

Leaf is very comfy to drive.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Great info here, thanks.

Picked up the car last night; supplied with a new granny cable and a 32A type1 to type 2 charging cable.

The car has both 3 and 6kW charging as both had times shown (4hrs & 2hrs to 80% charge, respectively).

The dealer really didn’t know a damn thing about this car and didn’t do a whole load to sell, right down to the tyre pressure being low in 2 of the tyres. Happy with the car though, very easy to drive, quite intuitive despite never driving electric before this week.

The regenerative breaking seems handy.

Going to check out the charging at work shortly.

Any recommendations for buying floor mats? Lots of online shops, anyone had success with a particular shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Sorry if asked before but so many pages on this thread! I swapped the lower front bulbs (running lights?) on my 151 Leaf to LED a while back, but one of them has stopped working. Anyone know where you can buy them in Ireland? I'm guessing UK ebay will be messy with customs and similar if I go the aliexpress route. Can you get them on Adverts or Micksgarage or one of them places?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

I bought led's from the UK from this guy. Not for my leaf but different car. Can't fault them. https://smd-automotive.com/. I wasn't charged customs when they came. I have asked about ones for the leaf and he does/did have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hu!me

Deleted

Post edited by hu!me on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Noticed today that when I got into the Leaf the welcome sound didn't play (2018 Leaf 40kW).

We were playing around with the sounds you can associate with your Home location, and since then the welcome sound doesn't play (no loss really).

Does anyone know if there's a setting to turn on/off the welcome sound in a menu somewhere?

Went looking at a 2018 leaf 40kWh earlier, noticed the radio was an old style one, is this normal? Thought they all came with the built in sat nav screen etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Advertisement