Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

this'll be the last thread on it anyway, I'd say, with not having to roll over every 10,000 posts on the new system,

or maybe Beasty will start one more, for old times sake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It really has.

VERY roughly, Australia are having about 150 cases per day in the Sydney outbreak and they have about 40 in ICU.

We have about 1500 cases a day, and about 20 in ICU.

Vaccination can be said to reduce ICU by 95% from that very terrible analysis, but it gives an idea just how effective its been, even if I was quite wildly off with my assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Varadker said before that vaccinating the vulnerable alone would drop hospitalisations and deaths by 98%. To be honest, even if back of the envelope stuff, that to me indicates covid is far less harmful than the flu as I had understood covid to be 3-5 times more harmful than the flu without vaccines in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Vaccination has changed the game but Ireland is still more suppressed this summer than last

In Ireland we seem to have calibrated the moral compass to zero deaths or illness. However the vaccine is not the key to Tír na nÓg

But to accept that is to accept that Ireland got its policies completely wrong for 18 months at a cost that will cripple the country economically and socially for years

best option is to continue as one of the globes most restricted nations for another 6 months

It's been exposed as a complete fraud. No one was allowed to use the term 'bed blockers' because it wasn't PC. It wasn't the patients fault, it was the terminally broken hospital system. People were being kept in hospital because there was no one to release them. If you went in on a Friday you weren't getting out until Monday because there was no one to sign you out.

Of course, the media lapped it up, just like the "housing crisis"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

To be honest this could be the last thread because since the changeover I'd have more faith of boards dying before Covid does...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Where are we in this thread anyway, If we're using the same software as Digital Spy, their threads are infinite with no end number, so maybe this thread will continue if its past the 10,000 mark.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What did you actually say Goldengirl as your reply came up blank, I'm on desktop rather than phone.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

There's been 1300 cases, the number is rising. How do people think this number will lower?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

A lot of informative posters haven't returned since the changeover. There were a couple who used to post detailed breakdown on facts and figures almost daily.

Personally speaking, I find it hard, even tiring to scroll through threads and catch up things, not just covid related but across all threads I followed in the past.

Post edited by prunudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We're not really going that much higher and it may be a few more weeks but this surge is not looking anything like the NHPET numbers plus we are reducing number of potential targets very rapidly through vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

But does it matter, hospital numbers aren't out of control, vast majority of over 40s are fully vaccinated and its open to over 16s from today. Within the next few weeks the age group with most of current cases will be vaccinated and numbers will fall off a cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Not that I posted many facts, but not having access to the form definitely helped with the psyche.

A lot of other posters may feel the same and just not boddered now.

Looking at people's views on here at moment from outside Ireland, things have taken an extreme view no matter what view posters have on the subject.

Pages and pages of trype and the odd good post it's more like after hours on a bad day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Such a strange article. Says 'senior health sources' say there is very little cases (a lot less than 10% of cases used previously as an estimate) who are in hospital with covid but there for other reasons. Then says these people need just as much hospital resources to be cared for so there shouldn't be a distinction between both. Well which is it, the first point or the second on? because if the first is true the second point is basically irrelevant.

The whole someone in hospital for something else but have covid is just as big a strain on resources argument is missing a huge point that's purposefully ignored. It's not just about hospitals being under pressure. Another very important thing is how many people are getting sick enough from covid to need hospitalisation. That's the link between cases to severe disease needing hospitalisation. The higher that is the more worried the general public will be about catching covid, people in hospital for a surgery but happen to test positive should definetly not be included in this. It's just another case of manipulation of data to get people to comply. Same as when Tony mentioned yesterday how hospitalisations have increased significantly when he and most of us know right well its inflated due to less discharges over the weekend. I'm actually getting sick of this manipulation of data now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Some of this makes absolutely no sense to me . For example this part below says if they are in for something else and test positive they are occupying a bed .Well if they were in for something else they would be occupying that bed anyway ?

""""When people are Covid positive, even if they have no symptoms and are in for something else, they still require isolation on a Covid ward and full PPE protection for staff, plus infection controls.

“It also contributes to the cancellation of routine operations or elective surgery, because those people are still occupying beds.”""""

• Registered Users Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Any sign of the bridezillas in Dublin yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I wonder when covid is over, will we have learnt anything? There was great optimism after the first lockdown that we would build back better, but I think the enthusiasm for fixing the HSE ermtc h

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

By NPHET being so disengenuous and manipulating data, it gives oxygen to the anti Vaxers and conspiracy theorists. Neither side is being honest. NPHET should be held to a higher standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i do get the feeling that the front line staff are in for a bad time when all the things that should have been caught early start showing up , talk of 1 million on waiting lists , crazy stuff how are they going to clear that !

theres even waiting lists for private procedures these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They did start on a plan and Reid seems very keen to fix things. Whether he and the HSE are up to that job still remains to be seen. Either way it will take a few years to see signs of it and a decade or more to see more beneficial effects.

The numbers are a load of rubbish really. They are worst case scenario type numbers.

The criteria we use for the hospitalization figures is "People in hospital who have tested positive". They don't have to be in hospital because of Covid or even receiving treatment for it. I bet we'll never get clearer data. If the are hospitals are pushed, they will just claim that paracetemol is treatment for Covid.

The deaths is much the same. Anybody that died and tested positive for Covid. Sure we are testing every dead body. If somebody tested positive of course it will be listed as a contributory factor in the death. But how much did it actually contribute is the real question?

It is extremely lazy criteria that has obviously been used to scare people into compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yes a strange article from the sources

"“This is not a case of Dr Doom massaging the figures to influence ministers,” said one source.

“The CMO [chief medical officer Dr Tony Holohan] is not padding out the data with irrelevant material. These indirect cases exist, but they are not a major phenomenon.”

They reject the 10% figure the government were working on

The CMO had no issue being concerned in cases of hospitalisation rising 10 cases in 4 days in early June so even if these cases are 5% then that's 7 people who came into hospital for something else they should have no bother getting some nuance in the figures

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

No drop in the 8pm hospital numbers last night compared to the ones given out with the cases. 141 at 8pm so the same as morning, would usually expect a drop on Monday with discharges but staying steady anyway. 25 in ICU, that ICU number is very stable over the last few weeks which is great to see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

The hub seems to have 142 this morning. I'd be expecting/hoping a bit of a decrease in this evenings numbers. It seems the Monday decrease doesn't always happen on a Monday anymore since the hack and can happen up to Wednesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Use the private capacity sure what’s another couple of billion at this stage.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

point is there isnt much of that either (mil trying to get a procedure at the moment)

”health sources”. LOL. Which one is it today, Tony? Ronan? Mary? The professor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I had to wait for a month for a private MRI. Pre Covid you'd be waiting a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Are diagnostic facilities used to the optimum in HSE settings or is it still 9-5 apart from emergency cover?

I was a patient in a private hospital recently and had contrast MRI at 7am on a Sunday morning. This may have been reserved for admissions only and not by appointment, I forgot to ask being in the throes of multiple tests at the time.

Advertisement