Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flintash

nothing to see here.

the price of timber droped drastically, its just a blip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

That's so mad you posted this as I had the exact same thought last week, that longer term when Africa becomes uninhabitable and Southern Europe unbearable in summer, they'll be flocking up north, possibly skipping even Central European countries who may also be prone to extreme temperatures and ending up at us. But as you say, they could also come from the likes of the US or Australia. The so called "locked out" generation of the present might find that when they eventually get their mortgage, when the time comes to sell in a few decades, they will achieve a great appreciation in the value of their home like the older generations now who have done so well.

What prompted me was actually comments under a recent NY times article about the heat dome in the USA and Canada in which people said they were looking at moving to Ireland. True or not, I think is perceived as a relative safe haven from what is going on in the world and I think that that will manifest in increasing inward immigration and wealth transfer over the next decade or two. There’ll be more pressure on supply of housing stock for sure

just thinking about the long game, rather than whether there’ll be an imminent price fall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tigger123

I've been thinking something similar for a while. I remember 10 to 15 years ago there was a massive heatwave in France, and a whole load of French people came to Ireland on their holidays as the climate was much more bearable.

I can very easily see people relocating to more moderate climates in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

No real surprise here seeing as Mortgage applications in the US dropped 25% year on year in June and no of building permits is way down on prior periods as the cost of building has gone up and if consumers reject the new high prices then new properties won't be built and you will end up in a situation where you have a long period with nothing being built and all the problems that come with it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Seeds2098

Its not quite a simple as that. Investors are also showing much less interest in the US.

I am wondering what portion of properties in Ireland are investor properties. Just over the last month or so I know two people with investment properties who are looking to sell up( small time landlords who own an additional property).

I wonder if we could see a lot of institutional investors jump ship on Ireland at some point. At some point government may be forced to make things much more difficult for them, and the higher prices go the more pressure there is.

Where did you see that the investors are loosing interest in the US housing market? Do you have a link as I haven't seen any articles on it.

Non-Occupiers which would would include mainly Investors & Government accounted for 14% of all transactions from June 2020 to May 2021.

Institutional investors will jump ship at some point in time when they can get a better return on other assets.... But until interest rate rise significantly this is not going to happen unless they are forced into a fire sale due to something like a liquidity crisis.

There is a lot of talk about new supply coming online but if you look at the planning permission that has been granted for Houses (I have excluded apartments) then you can see that these are still at historical lows which would suggest that we won't see much of an increase in houses in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭yagan

I was chatting with a developer yesterday about this and an estate they're building at the moment is booked as one planning permission application.

During the Bertie bubble it felt like everyone with a field was getting planning permission for one offs that they'd try to flip later. The credit tap is turned off now for that kind of frenzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

It's a good point, backed by data.

I agree, we won't see major increase of supply of houses in next 2 years. But there could be different case with apartments. If there is good conditions for developers, there could be a fairly good increase of supplies of apartments (although maybe not for open sale).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think that is just a reversal of the recent price increase in construction materials costs due to the supply chain getting unstuck and so prices falling back to their more usual levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Actually, the Gulf stream probably started slowing at least 150 years ago and has slowed a further 15% since the 1950's. The Earth's temperature usually rises very rapidly just prior to the onset of an ice age and that's what I think is happening now. Of course all the previous ice ages were caused by anthropogenic CO2, so keep buying those EV's and paying those carbon taxes.

Of course this all good news for house prices in Cork and coastal house prices as sea levels will fall considerably and the Maldives will be saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Conspiracy Theories forum is the one below this one thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

WASHINGTON -- Prices for U.S. homes rose faster in May than they have in 17 years as surging demand for housing outstripped the supply.

Some huge increases in recent months. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? I'd imagine we are starting to see affordability ceilings kicking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Aguce

Does anyone thinks that Irelands property prices could go by 18 property cycle trajectory? I'm feeling sad that I could be waiting for 9 years to buy a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Why would you wait for 9 years?

According to that graph, prices are going to continue to rise for the next 6/7 years, and even when they crash, will still be more expensive than they are right now.

This is the breakdown of planning permission granted (for houses only) which shows the total floor area which would take into account one planning permission being for multiple houses. (source CSO BHQ05 - Planning Permissions Granted for New Houses and Apartments)

Based on this there will be no major supply of new houses coming online anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭DataDude

That's interesting. Just wondering if you're at all familiar with the BCMS commencement data and how you might reconcile the two? gov.ie - Construction Activity Statistics (www.gov.ie)

It shows that there was nearly 5k residential units started each MONTH in April and May. Both April and May are nearly double the next highest month in the previous 10 years. Obviously there's an element of catch up going on. But even with essentially a shutdown in February and March, 2021 YTD commencements are 20% above 2019 at the same time which was the previous post crash peak? Will be interesting to see if June is another massive month or will it very quickly fall back to normal levels of activity.

I was just looking at planning for new houses which excludes apartments.

The planning Granted for apartments may explain the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Was talking to my brother in California and he was telling me the Irish there are starting to express an interest in relocating back to Ireland because of the recent heatwaves there.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement

looking at BPFI mortgage approval report, it's out for the month of June. I have aggregated over first half of a year data. Not only volumes of approvals were growing strong, but mortgage amount as well.

FTB Volume:

2019 H1 - 12,252 

2020 H1 - 8,371

2021 H1 - 13,796

FTB average Value:

2019 H1 - 230K

2020 H1 - 239K

2021 H1 - 249K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Thoroughly depressed by the market now. Our dream home went to a cash buyer despite our higher bid. The most expensive country in the EU in which to buy a house 🤯🤯😣😣😨😨. Might be better to give up house hunting, stop saving and live life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Actually we are about mid table when it comes to affordability within the OCED. Price increases are happening all over the globe

https://data.oecd.org/price/housing-prices.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭RINO87

Hi, long time lurker first time poster in this thread.

So question for you guys... Do you see help to buy being curtailed or extended in the "housing for all" scheme/next budget, and what that might mean to the market. Can anyone see it ever being extended to 2nd hand homes (at maybe 5%, and keep new builds at 10%)

Personally we're looking at waiting it out until the housing for all plan/next budget are known....

I see the Help to buy being extended but don't see it applying to 2nd hand homes as it will not help increase supply.

I believe the main focus will be to increase new build supply output, in particular for social/affordable housing. Current Help 2 Buy likely extended or somehow integrated with Housing for all. But don't think it will apply for 2nd hand homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Help to Buy is a misnomer.

It should really be called Help increase developers profits scheme, as any increase in purchasing power just got added to the price.

I understand the motivation behind it was to encourage developers to build but I just wish they had of been more honest about it.

Instead of giving money to ftb's to give to the developer why not just use funds to provide direct incentives to developers.

Can't see it ever applying to second hand homes, and if it does expect to see a jump in prices that will eat most of it anyway.

The economic assumptions on property that Ulster Bank have used in their half year results are as follows:

(source: natwest-group-h1-company-announcement.pdf (natwestgroup.com) page 20)

Looks like they expect house price growth to slow from 2022/23 onwards.

• Advertisement

In their base case scenario it look that they expect stable increase 3.3-3.6% a year over next 4 years. But looking at the current situation, probably we are on Upside scenario already.

Advertisement