Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

siblers wrote: »
    Pity we don't see more of the likes of Jonathan Wilson and James Horncastle on more mainstream British media. They're so much better informed, entertaining and unbiased compared to the likes of Rio Ferdinand or Steve McClaren, Shearer etc.

I would pay for a podcast that heavily featured Johnathan Wilson. For me, he is easily the best regular(ish) contributor they have on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Cienciano wrote: »
    1 in 10 can be funny. But Christ, the other 9 are painful.

The odd one here and there can be perfectly placed and hilarious, but some days it can just be total overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

bren2001 wrote: »
    I would pay for a podcast that heavily featured Johnathan Wilson. For me, he is easily the best regular(ish) contributor they have on.

Only if Rory Smith isn't on enough to be considered regular(ish)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Evil_g wrote: »
    Please stop with the hotkeys!

It's painful at this stage.

Totally disagree. Delighted they’ve brought them into it more.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I did laugh at the 'It's a dump' they threw in when they were talking about Roscommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think Hugh Grant could be Southgate. James Nesbit has to have a part in there somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

The constant hotkeys, lets do that soccer and hearing Steve McClaren and the rubbish Euro intro (not a patch on WC 2018 one with the pharcyde & soccer is popular!) have been really getting on my wick lately, ditto for Gibney, but at least thats not been too heavily featured of late.

I'm actually going to go back into scumbag mode til October-ish once the euros is done. Hopefully a break will make me appreciate the better parts of the lads (like the England squad film casting chat) a bit more!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

bren2001 wrote: »

Between Football Weekly and SC, you'll get more than your fair share of Wilson! I love him too, his encyclopedic mind (sorry Grealish) is genuinely astonishing. Through no fault of his own, I'm "almost" getting a little tired of him, just because I hear him so much between the two pods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Wilson has his own podcast. Greatest games

https://theblizzard.co.uk/podcasts/

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Wilson has his own podcast. Greatest games

https://theblizzard.co.uk/podcasts/

Plus one on this. This is a great podcast.

Edit: Latest one of them is an interview with Tim Vickery talking about the 92 European Cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

this new boards.ie is a balls

did ya hear the whatsapp notification at 01:31:52 of the Notti Magiche episdoe when they were playing out the song? i'm cancelling my subscription with that amateur crap. i've been waiting all week for boards to back so i could vent

off topic, it's a pity boards was down over the weekend with both the final and mcgregor. you only miss it when it's gone

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Was going to say this last week, I think the first ten minutes of every show from now on should be Ken describing the Liveline discussion from the day before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

The Copa America pod was excellent. Tim is one of the best contributors they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

I see they're returning to RTE Radio 1 on Saturdays for the summer. Show at 1pm tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Christ you have little to be complaining about.

Good to be back, even if the site is currently a complete ballache.

That e-mail from yesterday had Ken on the back foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Back on track, and leaving aside a slight ping of a whatsapp app notification I have to say the content has been excellent over the last few days.. I echo the love in for Tim Vickery, he really is the gold standard of football journalism.

Ken was absolutely hilarious skirting around Chiesa being off his tree. 'Blinking wide eyed Chiesa, seems surprised by everything, including the front of his shirt. The world must look just incredible up there from his position way at the very top... So high, so high up there at the top.'

Reminds me of when the media in England got wind of Ryan Giggs sleeping with his brothers wife scandal. The papers would print a picture of Giggs at some banquet with the tag something like 'Proud family man and all round gentleman Ryan Giggs attending X' then the article beside it would be of some love rat story.

Show me don't tell me

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

Christ, listening to US Murph talking about football and Euro 2020 was painful.

Post edited by mcgucc22 on

• Advertisement

Everytime he said "PK's" I died inside a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

I listened to Bill Simmons and they were talking about PKs too. It really grates on me ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

And pool play! Or whatever it was he was calling the group stages!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

That was such a tough listen. He does not know when to stop talking. The forced, weak "laughter" from Irish Murph and Eoin was akin to laughing at your bosses jokes at the Christmas party. Was delighted that Ken called out his Italian links. "Yeah, just, never heard him mentioning those links before". He's some man for the bandwagons, US Murph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I wonder if that will be the end of the Steve McClaren sound bite…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I can hear McClaren now ala Partridge... "needless to say, I had the last laugh".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Murph with the casual flex yesterday:

When's the last time you were out with a hurl.... Well me and a few mates have been out pucking about like true Gaels recently...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Heard him say it at every major tournament. He always said he has Italian heritage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Good news, I was just looking up the RTE Olympics coverage and Timmy "Downtown" McCarthy is, thankfully, listed as being part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Timmy McCarthy drinking game

Take a shot of your tipple of choice anytime Timmy says one of the following:

Downtown

Boomshakalka

Coast to Coast

Nothing but Net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's hard enough with Ken being off for the week but we then have Paul Flynn and his regular use of "de-habilitating" 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bamayang

Paul Flynn is prob a very nice lad, but he’s too corporate for this slot. Even the question on whether the match Monaghan should have gone ahead, it was if Flynn was personally responsible for the decision and had to justify it. His answer was exactly what I would expect to hear from a GAA/GPA press person.

This week has not been the greatest in the annals of SC.

No Ken, no Euros chat - and GAA and Lions chat. Quite the brutal comedown.

Hopefully the Olympics will perk it up a bit from next week onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Was thinking the same but I normally listen to it on a run and that was impossible this week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Any love for "Checs" and "Shaggy"?

Me neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

But of LOI chat was welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I'll be honest... I found the banter at the end about "Branno" cheering a Rovers goal very cringey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Yeah, was a bit of a slow week in fairness.

I love both GAA & rugby. Was happy with GAA chat as I always enjoy Murph chatting about it, plus Oisín McConville is great I think, even if his voice is a bit dour at first!

However, much and all as I love rugby, I have very little anticipation for this Lions tour....I just find the whole buildup and the event a bit limp given the way the tour is faring out - no fans, reduced buildup, games cancelled etc.

• Advertisement

It's going to be wall to wall Premier League chat for the next 9 months, nice to have at least one week where it doesn't get mentioned at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I thought McConville was superb this week. He spoke very eloquently about the tragedy in Monaghan - really impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Shocking week !!! Shows without football the show would be sunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Shows without *English or international* football.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Yes unfortunately the last week was one of the worst in listening to second captains since the start. I suppose a hangover from an amazing euros and Ken on leave just meant it was missing something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Soccer isn't the only sport lads. Plus there was soccer coverage one day with LOI...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

I've a lot of sport interests not just football but it just wasn't a good week in my opinion

I thought the LOI slot was ok. The guys talk about needing to talk about the narrative and some of the stories but yet again go on to have the same conversation as usual about RTE and TV coverage. As was mentioned, there were plenty of stories this year, Richie Towell, Dundalk legend, snubbing Dundalk to play for Rovers. That story alone has loads of interesting facets. So why not talk about some of these stories.

I often skip the GAA pods but I do think Oisin McConville is excellent. When I do listen to that slot it is mainly because he is worth listening to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Have cancelled my sub. Feel a bit of a cheapskate but I have too much other stuff to listen to. You still get one football podcast per week free, no? That would be enough for me...

• Advertisement

Murph is burning the midnight oil, we'll see how he functions tomorrow

Advertisement