Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Enhernet cable to office.

Options
  • 26-07-2021 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

I want to use an unused rooma as an office. Because of where it is located i will have poor or no wifi. I was looking at a booster but someone suggested running Cat 6 cable (which would be easy) and RJ45 connectors which a face plate in the office. I think this would be more stable then the booster. Would i be right or wrong.

Also is the a difference between brands of CAt 6 cable and Rj45 connecters. Any suggestions are appricated and welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

Instead of going through the hassle of running cable would you consider homeplugs? I use these as I'm in a rented apartment and can't really go ripping apart the walls to run cables but can't fault them, very easy to set up and great speeds + latency. These are the ones I have: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA7010PKIT-Passthrough-Powerline-Streaming-Configuration/dp/B06VW1WCCD/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=tp+1000+passthrough&qid=1627307022&sr=8-6

• Registered Users Posts: 13,987 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Run the cable, homeplugs won't work or will barely work, the office will most likely be on a separate fuse box which would interfere with the signalling.

You need outdoor cable, it has a second UV resistant layer.

If your not used to making ethernet cables, get a premade cable to the right length. Needs to be under 100meters in total length.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Office will be on same fuse board but different breaker, if that makes any differance im not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sphinxicus

im with @Cuddlesworth , run the cable (or 2) if its possible. A little bit of extra effort now will be worth it in the long run. If its going to be used to connect your work device to the internet then best to plumb for a more reliable solution. Plus if you want to start adding other devices in the office (personal PC, network printer, NAS, "smart" TV etc. then you can just add a cheap network switch in the office and plug everything into that and not have to worry about choking a half-duplex connection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭branners69

I ran two 15m CAT 7 Outdoor cables,(https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08FP89G68), from the front of the house to the back of the house, best thing I ever did. I was getting 60mpbs using homeplugs. With the cables (one goes into an 8 port switch and the other into a Linksys Velop Wifi Mesh node), I am getting the full 1,000mbps cabled and 360-500mbps on wifi.

No more freezing on high res 4k movies (50gb-80gb) with HD audio or the kids moaning about internet dropping off. I should have done it years ago!

• Advertisement

I never realised the cable went beyond cat 6. Just googled and there's a cat 8 :) where do u stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Cat 7 and Cat 8 have higher specs, but it depends on what you want it for. If it is just to run to an office for general use, cat 5 will work fine. Have you tried using a wireless extender or homeplugs. Of course it depends on what you are doing with the BW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭dubrov

Running the cable will give you a much quicker and more stable connection than homeplugs or a booster.

If you need wireless in the office for a phone/laptop, you could always run one cable to a Wireless access point.

I'm using this at home and get the full broadband connection speed (240MB) over it.

Cabling wise, anything above Cat5E will generally be more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,987 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Cat6 at the moment and only because cat5e is now more expensive. Cat 6a is difficult to work with due to the thickness and Cat7 and above are a waste of time, you don't need the shielding and you don't need 40gig ethernet.

About to buy the Cat 6 cable online. Do i need to worry about untwisted or twisted. The best value i can find is linked below:

OR

https://www.freetv.ie/50m-outdoor-cat6-cable/

• Advertisement
Advertisement