Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,062 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The phrase 'common as muck' springs to mind.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It's short sighted of them though - airing all the dirty washing is not very A-list behaviour isn't it? That's grand if you are a Love Island contestant looking for some column inches in Closer magazine, but if you are aiming for A list, the mystique of not needing to promote yourself is what sets you apart from other wannabes. The problem is that for them, without the Royal life and HRH titles, they aren't really A-list any more. It feels like they are scrabbling to get up to that level again but going the wrong way about it by murdering the golden goose.

And that's what's so surprising given the general view that Markle is a strategic schemer. I don't think she's all that great a schemer at all, especially not as a long-term strategy. Unless of course, Harry's a stepping stone to a far richer spouse - for example Jackie Bouvier marrying into the Kennedys, (American 'royalty') then becoming a household name, First Lady, style icon, subsequently becoming the wife of a billionaire.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I know less than nothing about the law on this, but I doubt that he would really have a case as regards seeing the grandchildren.

American law is different, but I have heard of cases here where grandparents were granted access.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I imagine there would have to be at least some kind of contact, for him to be able to make a case. He has never even met Harry, the father of his grandchildren, if I remember correctly.

And yes, I should have specified I meant the law in their jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Not sure he has a leg to stand on there tbh.

He couldn't afford the case either. It's just a very messy situation all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Probably wants to increase his privacy a la MegyMeg

Apologies for the source!

• Advertisement

"Until after The Queen has died" means "We're going to fling more shít".

Are they going to name the racist? Hopefully they can remember who it actually was as their recollections of the apparent event are already rather confused and contradictory ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Until after the queen has died, kinda strongly implies that not only is there **** to be flung, but that it shall be flung at her.

I mean those of us with "colourful" families often have a book in us and may even joke that we can't write it until so and so is dead...

Its never because we want to heap praise upon said so and so is it?

@Be right back, that's all ok now that Megain has educated Hapless Harry.

He couldn't possibly have been expected to know that was racist. How could he, the pet?

Perish the thought. Poor Haz was never allowed think for himself. Poor sod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

I can’t imagine this ‘accidentally on purpose’ leak came from Harry. The person who leaked this seems to want neither Prince Charles or the Queen to have any peace of mind until they get their own way. It could be something about the queen but I also think they are sending a warning to Charles that they will continue this campaign even after he is made king.

After all the rumours about Harry's paternity it would be hilarious if Charles wasn't actually his father and the 2 of them became commoners overnight.

He's too like a young Philip for that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That’s something that annoys me about society today. I’m not saying that the Tokyo olympics official shouldn’t have faced consequences for his remarks made in the 1990s(although maybe they should have been earlier than now) but it’s the selective outrage that I find utterly ridiculous. I mean either racist comments are bad(I think they are btw) full stop or they aren’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just from looking at the coverage the queen gets and her popularity she enjoys, having a pop at her may not be the wisest strategy but then again the two of them don’t seem to in danger of using any cop on. And what’s hilarious is that if they’d gotten their way, would these alleged racist comments have been brought up ? Would they ****.

Yep, don't judge the past by the standards of today. If something was commonly said and acceptable years ago those involved shouldn't be demonised now.

Alas, at the Harry made that comment it was regarded as a racist slur. When he wore the Nazi uniform it wasn't acceptable.

That's the issue here, it's ok if Harry said or did it because Meggers "educated" him and he's all woke and shıt now, but it's highly offensive if one of his family wonders aloud what skin tone any future children would have.

• Advertisement

That would be hilarious, but yes, definitely the resemblance is very strong between him and his late grandfather.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

There was always going to be a flurry of tell-alls after the Queen dies. Since Philip was a young man the papers have only hinted at the dalliances he had, when she dies they'll all come out. It'll be shocking to the public, but that's how marriages worked in Titled circles. You married strategically, produced the required heirs and after that you were free to discreetly take your pleasure elsewhere. That's the tame stuff. Then you've got the shockers that have gone away quietly when they shouldn't have (the Queen's cousins being hidden away in an asylum, or what the Family really discussed with regard to Andrew's association with Epstein). Murdoch for example is a massive republican and hates the royals, but has a very high regard for the Queen and it's understood that he's quashed lots of stuff in his papers out of respect for her.

Harry though, by jumping on this particular bandwagon, is either going to do the most explosive book of all of them, or it's never going to exist but it's a way of blackmailing the RF into bankrolling him to shut him up.

One thing is interesting though, his UK circle have called him out as hypocritical. He and William have been known to expect absolute discretion and cut people out forever for speaking about them to the press. And rightly have pointed out the hypocrisy of Harry doing this. Harry is going to find the toffs will seriously close ranks on him from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

He doesn't need friends and family now that he has Megan. Definitely not a red flag at all.

I get what you are saying but if this is true about a four book deal, the coldness and calculation of being involved in such a negotiation (i.e. 'this one won't be released until my once beloved grandmother dies') beggars belief, to me.

I know I'm repeating myself but the fact that they cannot see how contradictory their actions are versus their words is astonishing, to put it mildly. Perhaps Meghan's 'wellness book' will then solve and heal all the hurt they have caused #sarcasm alert.

As said upthread, they have miscalculated in many many ways, but especially by apparently going up against the queen, who at the end of the day, is his very elderly grandmother, who is mourning her husband. I know, I know, many things can be said about e.g the way she has dealt with the Andrew situation, but to a lot of people in the U.K. she stands for something and they respect her, in my opinion.

I fully agree. It feels to me that they are trying to pull down the monarchy out of spite for Charles so he can never become king. In some ways it would be absolutely hilarious to see it dawn on them long after everyone else that their titles are even more worthless if the RF gets dethroned. But the UK government would never let that happen.

I would say that the book deal of Harry's might be just a step too far for them. The timing doesn't go in their favour either. Before this year the Queen was very much the decision maker and usually took the most pacifist route but now is deferring a lot of those to Charles - and he seems a bit indecisive so is being led by William - who has a bit of a hot-head and very protective of the RF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Also the way they are behaving I can't see many A-listers wanting to be aligned with them. They are now really supported only by day time tv "celebrities" in the US and some of Meghan's friends, again, who are not A-listers.

I can see all this leading to them trying to have their own talk show in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Will it REALLY be shocking to the public though, Philip's dalliances? People surely aren't that naive, are they? I thought people would just be well aware that they're an open secret until Queenie dies?

Gotta say, I think I'm officially over Harry and Meghan. It's all got very tawdry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I can’t imagine how Harry has 4 books in him - unless 3 are children’s stories.

Harry will have a ghost writer, he'll no more write those books than I will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

But really he's only two to write - no?

Meghan's "The Bench" and her planned 'wellness' book make up two more - essentially vanity projects that would probably never otherwise get published.

And then Random House make their real money on Harry's two 'tell all' memoirs: One presumably focusing mainly on himself ("Not as the Prince I Was Born But the Man I Have Become") which will nonetheless have enough gossip about the rest of the royal family to be interesting, and the second dishing the really major dirt after Granny has died.

And they'll absolutely be ghost written. I believe the ghost writer has already been named for the first memoir as someone who specializes in dificult father-son relationships. Will see if I can find the link.

Edit: Not the place I originally read it (sorry for Mirror link!) but this outlines the ghost writer's previous work: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-charles-should-very-afraid-24581905

Advertisement