Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Unbelievable that a company would think that IBEC are in charge of covid public health advise rather than the government. Sounds like they are making up excuses to ignore the rules. The government advise is crystal clear that work from home where possible must occur. Leo has said that this might change in September but there has been silence on this lately. With the focus on ensuring that schools and colleges can reopen in September, and with some big companies pushing back to October, logically the government should push this back to October too and simply say that they want to see how things go with schools and colleges in September and the see if offices are possible thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

If the company pay for it as part of the perks, then why wouldn't I?

I don't have to meet people physically to do the kind of work that I do, and it is the same for them. It is a company of over 1500 currently, and we are continuing the grow at a rapid rate at that.

We have tools and processes that keep us focused on our work, but also gives us full freedoms to live our life through asynchronous work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

so now flying to meet your colleagues is a perk? i thought you werent paid to go to a social club?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

For goodness sakes don't ever put anything into Zoom / Slack / whatever that you don't want coming out later!

Just cos there's a delete function doesn't mean the content is actually deleted and not available to management.

Even if a call isn't officially being recorded, you don't know what devices your colleagues may be using. And EVERY company has its rats.

I'm not, I get paid to do work, the company would pay for the trip, not me 😘

And again, I would have the choice to not go as well. It isn't mandatory.

• Advertisement

Given your opinion on the benefits of meeting your colleagues I can't imagine why you would choose to go?

What has it got to do with the benefits of it? I can work very well on my own, and with the tools we use to communicate within work.

Meeting my colleagues in a foreign location for a team building exercise once or twice a year sounds perfectly fine to me. It's not like I hate them or anything 🤣

I have to agree here, any chatting using media is capable of recording the conversation, that's why I said only small talk before meetings. I would never go beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'd rather have sharp slivers of wood hammered under my fingernails and set alight than go through a corporate team building exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Excellent NY Times article on a generation gap has emerged between them and colleagues who value the workplace over the advantages of remote work.

Basically the younger the person, the greater likelihood they are questioning returning to offices. 55% of those born 1981-1994 are questioning the necessity of returning to the office. Older managers are often met with silence or "is that mandatory" type questions when raising returning to offices.

• Advertisement

I am sure you would get over it if it was in the Bahamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I've had my fair share of corporate junkets, Nice/Monaco, Athens, Seattle, Mt Juliet. You wouldn't get me back there without serious threats and duress.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's interesting how we are often told that the push to get back to the office is sold as a way to train younger workers, or because they are in cramped accommodation, or because they will miss the social side, yet both the survey feedback and the actual productivity stats are showing that many young people are very happy to WFH.

It's a bit self-serving of the people who want to come back. I was going to say "older people", but actually I think this is more of a digital divide than an age thing. Older people who are what you might call digital natives (e.g. well able to use tools like Slack and who can cope with the flood of information) are well able to WFH, but their less digitally literate colleagues are struggling badly. I'm not sure like some say that being seen in the office is going to make you more likely for promotion, I suspect that in some companies it will be very obvious that the group who are always in the office are not the group who are the future of the company.

One thing I've noticed is some delusion in some more junior staff about how well working from home is going for them and how their performance has been. As time has gone on it becomes more apparent. When surveyed on what their ideal scenario would be they tend to reply that 4 to 5 days from home would be ideal. The reality is if they keep performing the way they are at the moment they will be at home full time but they won't be getting paid for it.

The reality?

Have you got any kind of resources that show that WFH is not productive?

I have posted plenty in here about how much more productive it is and how much happier staff are. They way you are talking though, it just seems you are ignorant or jealous of those that can work from home or remotely pretty easy.

Have i got any kind of resources? Apart from what I've literally just posted above? It suits some people it doesn't suit others in my experience it hasn't gone particularly for certain junior staff.

It works fine for me, I have a fully kitted out home office separate from the house, but I certainly wouldn't fancy working remotely full time personally. Why are you so upset that someone has an alternative point of view? Ignorant and jealous 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I assume you are a manager if you have access to survey results to see what Junior staff are saying and can monitor the performance of a vast number of junior staff.

If your staff think they are performing well and you are not working to improve performance or even giving them feedback then it says more about your managerial skills.

I would rather listen to studies where it is bring reported that performance is the same or in some cases productivity has gone up.

I would listen to those more than someone who is either a terrible manager or who is making up stories.

WFH requires a lot more two way trust than office based working, if someone's workload is such that they have considerable idle time between tasks, then who is at fault for that? Many job roles have some spare capacity built in to allow for work surges.

Many roles have changed with WFH so the metrics that determined performance need to be updated to reflect these changes.

If the work is being done on time and at the required quality, what's the problem.

It's also important to remember that most people work to live, and the career minded who live to work are in the minority.

So don't be looking down on those who just do what is needed for the role.

Do you genuinely believe that everyone that's working from home is at least as if not more productive than they were in the office?

I am not sure where you are inferring anyone is looking down on people for just doing their role. The issue is they arent doing their role, if they were there wouldnt be an issue would there?

• Advertisement

I don't think that anyone here is claiming that "everyone that's working from home is at least as if not more productive than they were in the office", but many are as they have the motivation to get through the work without the office interruptions.

Unmotivated people are of course more likely to slide if WFH, but managers need to understand why, before dismissing them as bad workers.

Lets face it, some workflows are a royal pain in the arse to follow, demoralising and staff hate them with a passion.

the general narrative pervading is that wfh is positive all round, the reality is that it isn't, yes people need to be managed, but its harder manage under performers remotely, thats the reality. It can't always be someone else's fault, sometimes people need to take accountability for themselves.

Always blaming someone else is a cop out.

I don't recall saying everyone is as productive I said in general its being reported.

The people who work hard in the office will work hard at home, the people who slack off in the office will do the same at home.

At the end of the day you are given deadlines and your productivity is based on hitting deadlines.

A good manager measures performance on productivity and doesnt care if you are doing it in the office or from home.

People slacking off at home and not reaching deadlines will be caught if they are not reaching deadlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A good worker does a lot more than just hit deadlines at minimum quality though.

What else does a good worker do?

Your manager assigns you tasks and deadlines and performance is measured on your ability to hit those deadlines.

If you are hitting them on time or before time you are a good worker, if not your not performing to the standard expected.

Nothing wrong with small talk (weather, last night's TV etc), it's the canteen bitching that you cannot do using media as it can come back and bite you.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I couldn't care less about your alternative point of view. You are trying to paint remote work as some sort of hinderance on junior staff, based on what? What you see/have heard? Very scientific way to approach it there 🤣

So many reports have shown an increase on productivity and happiness from staff with remote work or at least having the option to have it.

If some don't like it, then grand, head off back to the office, enjoy the commute and chit chat, do what you wish.

Fact remains that the last year has shown WFH has so many benefits for staff and companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I've been WFH since January 2021 and i have to say, i absolutely love it - i have gone from working in a loud busy office where day on day you'd be left with a headache from the noise levels which reduces your productivity and concentration to being able to work in peace and get the job done and added bonus, very few headaches!!!

I'd happily remain WFH but i know all to well that the big bosses will have us all back in as soon as it is first mentioned of a return

The narrative is correct though.

Surveys are showing that workers are more productive WFH. They show that workers would consider leaving a job if remote work was not at least offered, so they would go where there is flexibility.

The top 3 benefits of remote work are increased productivity, increased efficiency and increased morale.

It also gives workers more options on where to live, which can reduce living costs when you don't have to live and rent in a big city.

On a personal level, I am happier now with work than I have ever been thanks to remote and async work. My current place of work has a varied level of experience and we work hard on our tools and processes to make sure everyone is included and work is synced.

Management takes many forms, if someone is underperforming, what difference would and office or WFH really make? I agree on the accountability side, but if someone is underperforming and their manager is in charge of their results, is that not a failing on the manager?

• Advertisement

you dont care for my point of view? no problem, i wont bother replying then :)

Ill take my actualy experience over someone who wants to find reports that reinforce their own agenda thanks all the same.

Anyway you'll get a load of likes and support on threads like these as there seems no shortage of people afraid of their life that they will have to go back to the office and threads like this are a safe place for them.

Advertisement