Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stronger getting older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Bench press

62.5kg x 3
    70kg x 3
    75kg x 3
    80kg x 3
    82.5kg x 4

60kg x 15 PB

Today I really concentrated on bracing snd leg drive. Probably more than any session before. It really helped. Saw some tips on Instagram that made sense.
    I did an extra rep on the final set and it was a grind but nothing near as sloppy as last weeks final rep. I’ll start adding in a big drop set for a few weeks. 60 x 15 was definitely a pb and I prob had another 2.

BB row 77.5kg x 3 x 10
    NG tricep push downs 13kg x 3 x 12

Db Rev flys 15kg x 3 x 12
    Hammer curls strict 25kg x 3 x 10

Form held together very well on Rev flys. No loss of ROM. Don’t think I’m ready to increase the weight yet. Might try get these up to 15 reps, brah

Kept the hammer curls as strict as I could possibly keep them. No upper body movement to assist them. Suns out….

Facepulls 34kg x 3 x 15

Deadlift

Worked up to 170kg x 3 yesterday. Session cut short so that’s all that happened.

DB Bench press

34kg. 10, 10, 10, 12!!

Wow, what a improvement from 5 days ago when I could only manage 10, 10, 9, 9. Very happy with that.

BB row 80kg x 3 x 10

Another short one today

Squat

SSB squat

90kg x 3
    110kg x 3
    120kg x 3
    125kg x 3

So I failed my 3rd rep the last day. Didn’t fail today but it was a struggle.
    As it happens today was another short day. This happened all week. I’ll chalk it down as a deload of sorts.

Bench press

65kg x 3
    72.5kg x 3
    77.5kg x 3
    80kg x 3
    85kg x 3

62.5kg x 13

Heaviest triple in a long long time. The last reps technique was a tad sloppy and slow but I was never in any doubt that it wouldn’t go up. Happy enough with that. AMRAP at the end. 2.5 extra and I had 15 in me but stopped at 13 as my shoulder began to feel weak. Still a great session

I intentionally left it at that to finish off the unintentional deload week.

Deadlift

135kg x 3
    145kg x 3
    155kg x 3
    165kg x 3
    175kg x 3

Deadlift keeps getting better and better. I’m waiting for this wall to hit me but there’s no sign of it yet. The old me would have tested my 1rm by now.

Unintentional deload had to be extended by 1 more day

• Advertisement

DB bench

36kg 8, 8, 8, 5

Sit-up +36kg x 1

Graduated to 36’s. The first 3 sets were decent. The last set was feeling doable until it wasn’t. More a loss of technique that threw the rep off, leaving me with 2 heavy dumbells on my chest and a really hard sit-up to complete. I’m still happy enough to say I can Db press a 36kg dumbbell.

DB row

36kg x 3 x 10

These were fairly handy. A little more tired on my left side.

Tricep push downs underhand x 3 x 15

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    DB bench

36kg 8, 8, 8, 5

Sit-up +36kg x 1

Graduated to 36’s. The first 3 sets were decent. The last set was feeling doable until it wasn’t. More a loss of technique that threw the rep off, leaving me with 2 heavy dumbells on my chest and a really hard sit-up to complete. I’m still happy enough to say I can Db press a 36kg dumbbell.

DB row

36kg x 3 x 10

These were fairly handy. A little more tired on my left side.

Tricep push downs underhand x 3 x 15

That's savage lifting well done , nice sit up X 1 :)
    So you DB bench 72kg X 8 that seems a lot harder than 85kg X 3 you did on the barbell . Cant even imagine picking up 36kg Dumbells even if I could lift it ,do you not worry about your wrists if you lost balance thats alot of weight .
    Well done on your progress

new2tri19 wrote: »
    That's savage lifting well done , nice sit up X 1 :)
    So you DB bench 72kg X 8 that seems a lot harder than 85kg X 3 you did on the barbell . Cant even imagine picking up 36kg Dumbells even if I could lift it ,do you not worry about your wrists if you lost balance thats alot of weight .
    Well done on your progress

Yea it doesn’t make sense (the ratio from DB to BB) to me. I always thought a person could BB press more than DB press with the same weight. They seem to be on par for me. Maybe dumbbells suit me. I dunno.
    36kg was surprisingly easy for the row and that surprised me. I only chose that weight because it was set from the pressing. I only chose the dumbells as my back was stiff from deadlifting yesterday.
    Regarding my wrists, can’t say they ever gave me a second thought. Failing this morning only resulted in me dropping the dumbbell to my chest, but I could easily see it hitting my face if my arms were properly weakened and I lost balance at the same time. Fingers crossed that never happens

Yea it doesn’t make sense (the ratio from DB to BB) to me. I always thought a person could BB press more than DB press with the same weight. They seem to be on par for me. Maybe dumbbells suit me. I dunno.
    36kg was surprisingly easy for the row and that surprised me. I only chose that weight because it was set from the pressing. I only chose the dumbells as my back was stiff from deadlifting yesterday.
    Regarding my wrists, can’t say they ever gave me a second thought. Failing this morning only resulted in me dropping the dumbbell to my chest, but I could easily see it hitting my face if my arms were properly weakened and I lost balance at the same time. Fingers crossed that never happens

Imagine you stuck them adjustable dumbbells on the scales and found out it was only 25kg or something :eek:
    I prefer the dumbells for bench I find I can feel the muscles working more .
    My wrists are like a little girls :( that's probably why I worry about them snapping under that weight . There's certainly a few things to think about in regards best way to fail even dropping them to the sides could pull your shoulder out or something .
    Keep doing what your doing it's working great , deadlifts as well flying up .good man

I’ve checked on a scales, because of that. They’re close enough thankfully

• Advertisement

My tight lower back from yesterday has got worse. Nothing I haven’t had before. I scrapped today’s workout out and spent the morning rolling around on a hard ball. I forgot how much torture it was

My tight lower back from yesterday has got worse. Nothing I haven’t had before. I scrapped today’s workout out and spent the morning rolling around on a hard ball. I forgot how much torture it was

If I feel my deadlift form fail a bit the next day I usually have a tight lower back , any idea why you get it ? I've started to record my deadlift , I'm less likely to lose form if I know I'm recording it , it's a bit strange but psychologically just recording it helps me to keep form. Not saying your back is related to deadlift , any idea why it's tight, I just see you did deadlift recently then tight back .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If I feel my deadlift form fail a bit the next day I usually have a tight lower back , any idea why you get it ? I've started to record my deadlift , I'm less likely to lose form if I know I'm recording it , it's a bit strange but psychologically just recording it helps me to keep form. Not saying your back is related to deadlift , any idea why it's tight, I just see you did deadlift recently then tight back .

He's an aul lad.

Back in my MMA days I had terrible back trouble. It has eased up brilliantly the last few years, mostly because of weight lifting. There’s obviously lasting damage that’ll flare up now and again.
    And age I guess

And it’s X10 worse as I write this. Reeally bad pain tonight. I’ve got my hands on some strong difene tablets and difene spray so that’ll help me. I can’t see myself squatting in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hope you feel better shortly

And it’s X10 worse as I write this. Reeally bad pain tonight. I’ve got my hands on some strong difene tablets and difene spray so that’ll help me. I can’t see myself squatting in the morning

Thats brutal , hope it heals soon.

Ohp 30kg x 5 x 10

Leg extension x 5 x 12

Tricep cable extension x 5 x 12

My back is still pretty bad. It’s better than it was.
    I only did the above workout as it has zero discomfort for my back, kept the wheels turning and I don’t want to have to recondition myself to waking at 5.

I had to raise the seat on my new leg extension as the foot cushion was too high and it’s not adjustable. You’ll see in the picture where I added the 3 custom made blue plates for added resistance. They weigh just over 40kg without, so that’s the base point from now on without adding any added resistance from the machine. It’s so smooth. Really like it.

Bench press

55kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    75kg x 5
    80kg x 3

DB shrugs long pause at top

36kg x 3 x 15

Underhand tricep pushdowns

Light x 3 x 15

Today I had no intention of lifting heavy. Was planning a few light sets if I could even manage that. When I lay on the bench I felt great. Almost totally normal. I didn’t push the arch too much. Delighted to get 80 x 3. Feels like forever since I lifted heavy when in reality it’s been a week.

I had my back cracked yesterday by an osteopath. Seems to have helped massively. I’m not there yet though. No squatting or deadlifting until at least next week.

Bench press

50kg x 6
    60kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    75kg x 5
    80kg x 2
    85kg x 1
    87.5kg x 1

Heaviest single in forever

DB shrugs paused at top 40kg x 5 x 15

Leg extension setting 3 x 5 x 12

Tricep NG push downs x 5 x 12

My back is healing nicely. Healed almost. I’ll dip my toes back in the deadlifting pool next week. 85 x 2 on bench was

This leg extension is giving my legs a special kinda pump. Brilliant.

• Advertisement

Was what? Don't leave us hanging! I'm going with ............
    doable but I wanted to try 87.5

Was what? Don't leave us hanging! I'm going with ............
    doable but I wanted to try 87.5

Haha sorry I was rushing out the door posting it.

85 x 2 was grand. I did 87.5 for the craic and to my amazement it was the easiest 87.5 I ever did

Seated cable row

40kg x 15
    50kg x 15
    63kg x 3 x 15

These were handy enough. I used the leg extension machine as my seat. If I go much heavier I’ll have to install some kind of foot anchor.

Db Rev flys.

13kg x 3 x 15

I was a tad weary of the stress in my lower back from bending over but thankfully it was 100%.

Facepulls 34kg x 3 x 12

Handy

Hammer curls 25kg x 4 x 10

Pumalicious. The last couple of reps on the last set I started to cheat a bit. Don’t think I need to go heavier than 25 for a while

Deadlifts

100kg x 3 x 5

Sissy squats + 10kg x 3 x 8

That’s all today was. Back felt perfect.

This place is still a mess and I’ve kinda fell outa love with boards. I’m going to struggle to keep this log going on here.

lifting has continued the last few weeks. My back is ok. I’m taking it easy deadlifting for a little while. The heaviest was 165 x 3.

benching is flying. No complaints. 75 x 4 x 5 this morning.

I re hurt my shoulder so squats are non existent. SSB puts too much pressure on my lower back at the moment so I’ve removed a lot of weight from it. Mostly doing light reps and leg extensions to keep the wheels turning

So I'm not alone ? I thought it was my phone , like I click on the your log and it takes 5-8 seconds to open page , that's not a long time but I think we are spoiled with technology nowadays it feels like eternity and very unusable .

Glad your back is healed

Yes doing 5/3/1 , I'm doing minimum 3 days a week sometimes 4 , one week trained twice because got vaccine and was tired. Back biking more and swimming .

I find I'm really enjoying the dumbells more than barbell , I have gotten stronger now I do 4 sets of 12 with 25kgs on dumbell bench , so might have to buy some 30kgs about 180 a pair is best I've seen online , expensive but you get a nice feeling lifting heavy dumbells .

A pair of Olympic Db handles might suit you either

• Advertisement

Front squats 

60kg x 5

70kg x 3 x 5

I found a different way to do these that doesn’t kill my wrists. 

Front squats seem to be the only squat that spares my shoulder and lower back these days so I’ll stick with them until I’m fixed. 

The weight wasn’t too bad. Just trying to sharpen up the technique for the heavier weights to come. 

GHR  8, 8, 10

Leg extension

Level 2 x 10

Level 3 x 10

Level 4 x 10

Sissy squat 10kg plate x 3 x 8

Great leg pump.

Advertisement