Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I think that's it - AFAIK Cathal Funge is no longer involved with Today FM.

Cathal Funge used to turn up every so often on bank holidays to do the late slot, covering what would have been Paul McLoone's usual time. Dunno if he'll get to hang on to that now, given Paul is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Another declining feature over the last few years is the people involved with Today FM who have previous pirate radio experience.

As regards presenters, that would be Ian Dempsey, Alison Curtis, Claire Beck and Phil Cawley. Behind the scenes you have John Caddell. I don't know if Newstalk and Off the Ball's John Duggan still crops up on on Today FM. Other than that, I think that's it unless you can think of others!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Another declining feature over the last few years is the people involved with Today FM who have previous pirate radio experience.

As regards presenters, that would be Ian Dempsey, Alison Curtis, Claire Beck and Phil Cawley. Behind the scenes you have John Caddell. I don't know if Newstalk and Off the Ball's John Duggan still crops up on on Today FM. Other than that, I think that's it unless you can think of others!

Didn’t know they were on pirate - phantom was pirate, but what pirate stations were the other presenters on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Didn’t know they were on pirate - phantom was pirate, but what pirate stations were the other presenters on?

All Dublin pirates.

Ian Dempsey : *Capital Radio and ARD/Radio 257.

Alison Curtis: Phantom FM

Claire Beck: DLR

Phil Cawley: Radio Dublin, Radio Annabel (AFAIK), Radio Nova (AFAIK - think he was on a list of presenters on a tribute site) and Magic 103

John Caddell: Alcatraz and Phantom FM

John Duggan - Coast FM

*Capital Radio that was around the mid 1970s to the early 1980s: not to be confused with at least two others in the 1980s called Capital or Capitol Radio!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Twice now I've heard Dermot claim the Covid vaccines are untested. He's currently discussing the science behind tapping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

He can be cynical if he likes, but it’s unprofessional to be fanning the flames for the anti-vaxxers.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Just listened back to that bit. Jesus, it was shocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

That’s really irresponsible of him. That’s put me right off him. I’ve always liked him as he’s come across as a decent sort of guy but I’m disappointed in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Anyone else getting really pissed off with the downright grifting that's going on across Today Fm and Newstalk with the money competitions they've been running over the last few weeks? €2.50 each time to enter, it's a pure money grab by them. I dont mind if they want to run the odd competition that brings them in money but the amount of time that's been pumped into this now is a bit sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭nc6000

I got a notification through the app to enter the €30k competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Yeah, having one a week now is overkill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Yep its annoying its not just todayfm. Across the lot of these Today FM, Newstalk, 98FM, SPIN 1038 and SPIN South West.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭nc6000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I agree but just don't enter. As you can see it a ploy by the new owners. It only makes sense if they are making money. If people stop entering it will stop quickly.

Meh I don't see what the issue is, 2,50c is cheaper than a lotto ticket and a lot of people on old legacy payg price plans are always looking for ways to get rid of unwanted phone credit

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

I thought mairead was bad. Her replacement today is the absolute pits

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Who is filling in for Mairead. Heard a bit, terrible.

Probably Susanne Kane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

The lotto is only on twice a week for a few minutes. I've heard this rubbish advertised multiple times over the last few weeks. You could say change stations but I like today fm/newstalk so I'd like to stay with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

2FM tried it for a while. (Remember you must be able to answer your phone during Colm Hayes new drive time show on Friday otherwise we'll call someone else)

It faded away quickly enough.

I don't mind them running the competition, but the mandatory "every show must plug this with a 2-minute spiel" means I hear it at least four times a day, and it's a lot more intrusive than a 30-second advert. If that's the price for not sacking any more talent in favour of automated playlists, so be it.

Is it just me, or has the daytime/early evening playlist veered towards a lot more cheese in the past two or three weeks? Like, Westlife, Mariah Carey, Boyz 2 Men, early Take That, ballad-y stuff. To the extent that even when Dermot was away the other day, Dave was still playing enough cheese (I know it's an mostly automated playlist) that people were phoning in to comment on it?

You also had Derek Mooney doing a 1k a day giveaway the same way when he used to do the slot that Ray Darcy does now

They have been experimenting with older 90s/00s stuff for a few months, they might end up becoming an Irish version of Heart radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

I wish they would call it what it is - crowd funding, so you all pay 2.50 and we will give one person a day 5,000 (only need 2,000 entries to fund it). I hate it, cos I am sure it has caught some people & they entered without catching the cost of the text at the end of the spiel!!

Ah it just infuriates me! Yes I can NOT enter & Yes I can change the radio station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

I've heard Adrian Kennedy doing news on Today this week, he sounds good in fairness, much better than on his phoneshow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

Adrian Kennedy used to be the head of news of east coast fm before going to fm104

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭deise man

Dermot kennedy has a new song out. You can expect it 10 times a day on today fm for the next couple of months!

Advertisement