Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First olympic transgender athlete to compete at Tokyo 2020 **MOD NOTE IN OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

We can't bust heads like we used to. But we have our ways. One trick is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have any white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Edit, she'll be competing Monday the 2nd at 2:50 in the morning our time, for anyone who was wondering...

Despite the attention she's attracted ahead of the Games, Hubbard won't be the only transgender athlete involved.

Chelsea Wolfe, a transgender woman cyclist, has qualified as an alternate for the US BMX squad, while a footballer for Canada's women's team called Quinn identifies as transgender and uses the pronouns they/them.

https://www.advocate.com/sports/2021/7/26/quinn-worlds-first-out-trans-nonbinary-olympian

Quinn, a midfielder, was on the Canadian women’s soccer team that won the bronze medal in Rio de Janeiro in 2016 but was not out as trans or nonbinary then. They came out last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

We can’t discriminate like we used to either. But we have our ways. One trick is to tell stories that play on people’s worst fears, paranoia and ignorance of others. Like the time when Darwin instead of informing and educating people through science, instead thought it was more important to maintain Victorian moral standards and beliefs, because he feared he would be cancelled if he didn’t adhere to the predominant narrative. It was a self-serving move to protect himself, and a way for the upper classes to maintain dominance over the underclass who they claimed needed their protection. Over time the underclass as they became educated began to wonder “Protection from whom? Who are they protecting us from?”, and that kind of dissent could easily be silenced when it was just one or two people questioning the dominant narrative, but when whole groups began to question the dominant narrative, they realised the people who claimed to be protecting them, were the people they needed protecting from, in order to be legitimately valued as being of equal status in society.

As various laws were introduced which prohibited discrimination, the protectors of society became less and less relevant until eventually they were of no importance in society and they began to desperately cling to what little authority they still had by making up even more elaborate stories, because one thing society has never been short of is people who are ignorant, and they began to appeal to those people by playing on their paranoia and worst fears and ignorance of others, albeit with varying degrees of success given that people now have access to a wider perspective of reality than ever before at any time in human history.

They don’t even have to stay up until 2:50 in the morning to witness the end of days when they can catch it on YouTube in the morning or at any time, because we all know it’ll be reported on and repeated ad nauseum and whatever way anyone wants to spin the narrative to reinforce their already held beliefs, or to appeal to other people’s fears, paranoia and ignorance of others, they can do that too and STILL play the victim and maintain that the end of society as we know it is nigh as all the signs are there, you can see it for yourself, as presented by the people who claim they only want to protect you!

Find your glitter family Q, they will protect you from the end of days 😂

>They don’t even have to stay up until 2:50 in the morning to witness the end of days

I prefer to see these things live, watching back after the fact wouldn't really hold my interest, I'd just as soon look up the results

although I'm not sure will RTE / BBC be showing it, surely they will though

• Advertisement

Not just Hubbard, but also Stephanie Barrett - archery, and Chelsea Wolfe, BMX.

Great times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Why isn't Quinn, who's transgender AFAB, playing with the men? Could it possibly be that there's no personal advantage to doing so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Not to be mistaken for Quim. I’m a bit confused, given this.. person; considers itself neither gender how does it find itself playing amongst one of either?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Suppose it comes down to what he feels like on the day itself.

Biologically Quinn is a woman I believe. She played in the women's team before coming out as transgender and nonbinary (is that two different things??)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Well she's nowhere good enough to make the men's team but I've no problem with her playing for the female team being born female and all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I hope Laurel Hubbard wins and his penis pops out on the podium😂

• Registered Users Posts: 82,309 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I want him to get eleventeen medals and completely destroy the females assigned at birth competition, he might turn out to be as strong to compete against the men assigned at birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This reminds me of the whole argument in 2015 that men were going to be pretend to be gay so that they could marry and adopt and abuse children. That argument was bizarre and ridiculous and so is the argument that a man is going to lie that he is a trans woman just to compete in sport.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Strange how there are no trans men qualifying for male events . Wonder why that is? Guess they didn't try hard enough or something

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

"It" "Itself"

Try not using terminology thats rude, ignorant and disrespectful and you might get a response.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You can hardly say Chris Mosier didn’t try hard enough? Not only were they responsible for the IOC changing their policies regarding transgender athletes, but had they not been injured in the 50km walk race, they would have qualified for the Olympics in Tokyo -

They’re a woman biological female though in your terms so it stands to reason that nobody actually cares, because people don’t care about women generally, even the gender bending ones.

They’re convenient for making abstract arguments about “irreversible damage” and “wanting to protect women”, up until the point where one actually has to think about the fact that there’s more to a person than just their gender or sex.

FWIW, Mosier is a duathlete, but because Duathlon is not considered an Olympic sport, they decided to compete in the 50k walk race instead -

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Spain sent a basketball team to the Paralympics that won gold and it later transpired they had no disability. People do crazy things to win.

Anyway, I am not worried about people pretending anything. I think its obscuring the argument and not helpful. Trans people evidently exist, but they also quite evidently have significant advantage from androgen-fuelled puberty and, unfortunately for them, should not be competing in female competitions.

There’s insufficient evidence to support your claim though, which is why the evidence which does support your claim is being challenged, which leaves your opinion that transgender athletes should not be competing in female competitions also open to being challenged, which is what is being done, so that people who are transgender are able to participate in sports in accordance with their gender without being as they see it, unfairly discriminated against.

It means that of course you and anyone else are still entitled to see it whatever way you want, and no doubt you will, but no matter what you believe is or isn’t fair, it won’t stop people who are transgender from continuing to participate in sports and continuing to challenge people’s perceptions and beliefs. They aren’t arguing that they are entitled to win competitions, merely that they should be permitted to participate in sports in accordance with their gender.

There is not insufficient evidence. Every single study has shown transgender people retain significant advantages several years after transition.

There are no studies directly relating to transgender athletes but there is no a priori reason to suspect any difference there.

If people want to do more studies and they start to show something else then I will happily change my view but the what evidence we have is clear.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/782557v1

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/55/15/865

Of course "tomato" is correct, and "tomatoe" doesn't exist. Is that your point? ;)

I don’t expect you will change your mind, you’re far more likely to continue to seek out evidence which supports your already held beliefs, such as the BMJ study used by WA to support their exclusion of Caster Semenya and athletes like her from competing in events in which they were believed to have a competitive advantage on the basis of having gone through an ‘androgen-fuelled puberty’ as you put it, but that rationale simply makes no sense as Caster Semenya and athletes like her are not prohibited from competing in other events such as the 5,000m or 200m event. They’re excluded from competing in very specific events, on the basis of claiming that having been through an ‘androgen-fuelled puberty’ means they have a competitive advantage which some people regard as unfair.

The criteria which you’re claiming supports their exclusion is not based upon their gender or sex, it’s based upon biology, over which they have no control whatsoever, but in order to be permitted to compete in competitions, they are expected to undergo medically unnecessary interventions in order to lower their androgen levels in spite of the fat that the evidence available is insufficient to support the idea that lowering their testosterone levels will impede their physical performance, but rather what being forced to undergo these unnecessary medical interventions does is it has a detrimental effect on their mental health, as evidenced by Semenya in their case against WA.

To say there are no studies directly relating to transgender athletes is untrue, but I don’t think you’re attempting to deceive anyone, it’s far more reasonable to assume you’re just not aware of them, or it was a flippant remark not meant to be taken literally. Either way, they do exist, but one of the greatest issues with any studies directly relating to people who are transgender is that they are small-scale, and reproducibility is also an issue, and even meta-studies regarding people who are transgender will struggle to overcome these issues simply because in any given population, people who are transgender are only thought to make up less than 2% of the population (and I’m being purposely overly generous with that figure).

But what’s important in determining fairness in sports, is to look at as many factors as possible, and not simply concentrate on one single factor and fudge the statistical evidence and use obfuscatory language to present a narrative which supports your claims. To that end, with regard to people who are transgender participating in sports, and whether or not a single criteria confers upon them a significant advantage which justifies their exclusion from competing in female sports, numerous studies which examine other factors do exist -

I don't know if you think your link is supposed to be a study about athletic performance in transgender sportspeople, but it isn't. It is sociology, not physiology.

Clearly you think inclusion is the most relevant factor here, which is fine. I think competitive fairness (and in some sports safety) is more important. But that is the real debate, whether they have an physiological advantage is completely clear.

And I put it as "androgen-fuelled puberty" as that is what makes the physiological difference and avoids using terms such as male puberty.

I think if you had read my post it was clear that I was referring to the participation of people who are transgender in sports in a sociological context. Because sports do not exist in the physiological vacuum that you’re attempting to pretend they do, at the expense of determining fairness in sports. It’s their exclusion is the most important factor for me, because it’s that which I’m questioning, rather than their inclusion in sports where they are not considered to have a competitive advantage as a consequence of nature.

You keep stating that it’s clear that people who are transgender have a physiological advantage as though it is an incontrovertible fact, but it’s not. You also maintain that it should be the only consideration with regard to their participation in sports, but it’s not. Were that actually the case, then your argument would be incontrovertible as it’s based entirely upon your terms which suit yourself. We wouldn’t need a panel of experts from a number of different fields with a whole boatload of different perspectives to offer their opinions based upon their experience, because we have yours, so let’s just go with your opinion. I don’t think that’s how it works, nor does the IOC, which is why they consult with experts from a variety of disciplines in formulating guidelines with respect to transgender athletes participation in competitions in furtherance of the overriding sporting objective of fair competition in sports -

The overriding sporting objective is and remains the guarantee of fair competition. Restrictions on participation are appropriate to the extent that they are necessary and proportionate to the achievement of that objective.

How competitive fairness is determined is by examining as many factors involved as they can, and gathering as much evidence as they can, which as I said is difficult to do given that their number in any given population is less than 2%, so to suggest that their participation in sports is to the detriment of women’s sports, amounts to nothing more than hyperbolic, histrionic nonsense. If you’ve been following the Olympics thread in After Hours, you’ll be aware of how there have been some major upsets in the women’s events already, and how their mental health is as critical a factor in their preparation and participation as their physiology.

There’s even been nit-picking to point out that an Irish swimmer is not the eighth best female swimmer in the world, that each country is only permitted to have two athletes qualify in competition, and there are American swimmers who have faster times than the Irish swimmer. I get that these things do matter to some people, of course they do, but to other people there are far more important considerations, such as the idea that they’re participating in sports because they enjoy it. For them it’s 80% fun, and 20% competition.

My argument has never been about anyone’s inclusion in competitions, let alone the idea that they would dominate all competitions in which they participate in, rather it has been that I question the validity and legitimacy of the arguments upon which anyone’s exclusion from participation in sports are based, as though those arguments are intended to support and promote competitive fairness in sports while at the same time giving it welly about diversity and inclusion and the value of sports in society and all the rest of it. You can surely understand where there might be some confusion?

ps - I’m good with whatever terms you choose to use or avoid, I’ll still get what you mean. At least your use of the term ‘androgen-fuelled puberty’ is accurate within the context of biology, and you’re not mixing definitions. Be different if you were mixing definitions to pretend that female sports are a protected category as though it’s on that basis that transgender females are excluded, because that circular reasoning wouldn’t work, obviously! There’s no reason either why competitive fairness and safety couldn’t be maintained without the exclusion of people who are transgender, it would simply mean introducing measures to maintain competitive fairness and safety in any sport, I would suggest all sports, to reduce the known risks of athletes being injured. I see a lot of shin-kicking in Conor McGregors future for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

All for inclusion as long as transgender athletes are competing and winning medals in both male and female events (have no idea if that is or isnt the case), if they are only winning in female events then its clearly unfair on those other athletes born and competing as females.

Maybe there needs to be a transgender "sex" added, my guess results/times/distances or whatever would be slightly lower than the male athletes and slightly higher than the female on average, dont really see how else to be inclusive AND fair, its a tough one.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

And if you'd read mine it would be clear that I was referring only to physiological studies but yet you introduced this one and further claimed that I "didn't know" about it.

Sports is a zero sum game. You value inclusion of trans atheletes over fairness for cisgendered female athletes. I do not. Neither position is inherently right or wrong, but that is what it boils down to.

• Advertisement

At no point in any of your posts was it clear you were referring only to physiological studies? From your original post in which you claimed that people who are transgender evidently have a significant advantage from androgen-fuelled puberty, it is for this reason alone that they should not be competing in female competitions. On that basis I can understand why you linked to the studies you did which support your opinion, but you’re failing to acknowledge that for other people, sports and sporting competitions and participation in sports is anything but a zero-sum game when the rules of the game can be configured almost at will in order to influence any outcomes.

You went on to say that there are no studies directly relating to transgender athletes but there is no a priori reason to suspect there is any difference there. Well there’s no reason to suspect any difference in athletic performance if all you’re concerned about is proving that there is a difference based upon biology, is there?

However you neglected to examine the broader context of transgender athletes participation in sports, and that’s how you come to the conclusion that sports are a zero-sum game and I value inclusion of trans athletes over fairness for cisgendered female athletes. Your position IS inherently wrong because it’s based entirely upon your own standards, whereas fairness in sports is determined objectively as regards policy decisions which are determined to exclude people who are transgender. I even linked you to the actual IOC guidelines, where they include this -

It is necessary to ensure insofar as possible that trans athletes are not excluded from the opportunity to participate in sporting competition.

And that’s what it boils down to, not your opinion that sports are a zero-sum game or that anyone values inclusion of trans athletes over fairness for cisgendered female athletes, wherever you got that from. It’s clearly from your own perspective as opposed to giving anyone who disagrees with your perspective the benefit of the doubt. I was at least trying to be fair to you in assuming that maybe you weren’t aware of studies that have been done in relation to whether or not it is fair that transgender athletes are excluded from participating in sports, because that’s what the discussion is about, not just the factors which are important to you, or I, or to anyone else. Fairness is the idea of being fair to everyone. Fairness is not achieved by excluding anyone -

impartial and just treatment or behaviour without favouritism or discrimination.

Advertisement