Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the 1 week downtime & move to vanilla killed this place?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Digital Spy’s discussion forums use Vanilla. It’s way bigger than Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭pgj2015

This place is as dead as a doornail. not sure it will survive. pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It's almost a month now that the site is down/ become less user friendly, it's dying a slow death. While you might expect some teething problems, there's an awful lot required just to get the site back to some semblance of what we had before. The only positive change I can see is that you can save a post as a draft and come back to it later, everything else seems to have went backwards. It seems to take a lot more hassle to get to threads than before, also, there seems to be less interesting discussions going on than before, a sign that traffic is down hugely, the soccer forum is a disaster, if you have no access to it, you can't even browse it, if you have access even finding it is a chore. It's a real shame as the site was a great resource before the changeover, now it seems an awful lot of posters have left and those still here are giving out about the changes.

Post edited by Girly Gal on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The demographics aren't even the death of a site like boards, even assuming you believe that the yoof are the only game in town. Usefulness and interest are the key drivers of anything, and a well supported site like boards can juggle multiple demographics ... if it wants to. It's down to the users to provide the content and the site/volunteers to moderate the tone. A discussion board can never replace an instagram or tiktok, but then it doesn't have to if it does its own job well, but that needs traffic, of any type. I would love to see what the traffic levels on boards leading up to and after the change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I just can't be arsed anymore to be honest.

I've made a couple of posts in feedback and elsewhere and I am still keeping an eye on things once/twice a day, but the "communication" is the same random list of updates/fixes every day with almost no engagement with users outside of that - and certainly none that addresses the issues and frustration of posters.

It shouldn't be necessary for the technical users to write fixes and workarounds to partially address the massive functionality and usability issues with the site. As appreciated as it is, I haven't seen any recognition of that from the staff either.

As usual boards staff are just plowing on with their own agenda regardless of user sentiment and I've no desire to overlook that anymore. Once the mods get their tools restored (as that one seems to be important to someone), the experience will only get worse.

It's become too much effort to bother posting anymore (while trying to write this my keyboard on the phone seems to randomly disappear for whatever reason) and things definitely seem to be a lot quieter anyway so it would seem that many are voting with their feet.

I'll probably keep checking back for a while yet but I've also moved to that "other" site and it's a far more welcoming place all round than this place nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Boards nuked their own site. I never thought it would end like this.

Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Pamsteer

Boards seems to have lost a lot of functionality for end users which is very strange for an upgrade. Is there a FAQ on how to use the new platform? For example how to check post history, how to edit or delete a post after posting, etc.

Edit: At least I've found out how to edit a post after posting (click 3 dots on top right of post), but it's still time limited, in fact the time limit seems shorter. Don't see anything to delete one's posts other than perhaps reporting it and asking a mod or admin to delete it, surely contrary to the spirit of the "right to be forgotten" EU rules.

I wonder where everyone will go? or will they just stick to youtube or some other site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Buzzin-Hornets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Im going to try that now.

I thought i would come in today to give boards one last try, but sick of it already

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭sporina

seems hopeless.. when i am on other forums - that work really well, it highlights even more to me how badly they have messed things up here.. its mind boggling tbf

It reminds me of the way Bebo went.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Buzzin-Hornets

Yeah it’s pretty good. :) I registered over there the other day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It took a week to come up with this heap of s**t.

when I come on here I feel like I am fumbling around in the dark.. my breaks are ruined... use to love loggin on - checking my notifications - enjoy - log off.. i keep coming back in the hope that its better - but its not - and my breaks are being ruined.. I shud just go.. its v v v sad and unbelievable what they have done.. I mean, I was not just here to pass the time or for fun/time out (only sometimes), I have gotten a lot of invaluable information off this site over the years.. now that resource is gone - thats v v sad.. feel a bit of a void info wise.. was v good for recommendations, on important things as well as just miscellaneous stuff.. such a shame and a loss

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Not one to complain, especially about a free website but I have to admit I am finding it hard to enjoy the new site.

I wonder are their plans to abandon this upgrade? Are user numbers way down? Find it so hard to navigate the new site, and when I do get to the forums I want they are mostly dead suggesting others are having the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,465 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's honestly poor.

It's a bit like a Renault Megane II.

It's ugly and filled with issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Christ on a bike, I can't even quote part of a post: it's all or nothing. I think I'm done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

So there are no page numbers on the front?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

nah, more like a fiat multipla,

now that was god awful car - in every way🙃

The move to this platform is a "new Coke" moment for boards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Keep logging on hoping something has changed for the better but still a big disappointment from the way it used to be.

Will be switching over shortly to that other site.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭solasGael

New here. Funny timing, joined just at the new makeover. I believe there's no app for this. I looked previously anyway. Will have to learn the ropes here, am getting a message, "Body is 1 character too short? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭sergioaguero

the upgrade has been truly awful, so hard to find anything now, used to enjoy reading the soccer forums, cant even do that now,. terrible terrible terrible. good luck

It’s always very amusing when posters who are puffed up with self-importance feel the need to let everyone know they intend to quit the site, as if anyone really gives a shïte.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

You're commenting on it so apparently you do care.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Not really, some people either liked "new coke", or were neutral about the change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I am spending a lot of the time i used to spend on boards, watching YouTube Videos, and I keep seeing this add for "forum" software. It seems fantastic, they will migrate all your forum data, do a test run, validate everything works, and give the users a smooth transition to the new site, it's called VanillaForms.

Advertisement