Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

For anyone who missed it, here's Farage's discussion last night with the former Liberal Democrat leader, Vince Cable.

It's a good example of how left and right can come together and have amicable disagreements, whilst respecting each other as people. It's a shame that discipline and principle is not applied across society as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Lib Dems are not left. Theya re not called Tory Light for nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Up to 342 live viewers.

Thats 8 more viewers. #Growth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

how many of those 342 are people doing the same thing as you?

I think you missed my sarcasm :P

To answer maybe 4? Hard to tell how many are people at all given the consistency.

Be interesting to see if it keeps around the 300 "people" watching live. That'd be quite telling lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Unfortunately for those posters their TDS has now mutated into GBNDS.

I'm not sure if there is any cure for that.

Perhaps a few hours in a dark room watching teletubbies might calm them.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

A man who supports zero-hour contracts, opposes the very significant rights protected by the working time directive, oversaw privatisation of Royal Mail (short termism at best) and was increasingly more right than many of the tories in his time in office ? yeah he's left wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

You can see why it's so critical for them to class anyone who is vaguely "woke" or liberal as a leftie, because it then grants license to judge them on political grounds rather than the reality of people - including even some on the right- just simply caring and showing empathy for minorities and those less fortunate than them. It's why these right/left/far left labels have so much signifance and how they can be used to frame political debates in a way that suits certain people.

Well, the only offended people appear to be Eskimo and co tbh. Desperate attempts to depict it as a success while getting annoyed at people who have said it's doing poorly. On top of that, he seems to be upset by the charity work of a footballer...

Like the "anti woke" folk seem to regularly get upset by things like women in prominent roles in action films, a member of GBN taking the knee, anti racism, gay pride rallies. It seems to be less about freedom of speech and more about them being upset that their perspectives have ceased to be the dominant one. So yep, the audience of gbn seem to be very much so on the side of the perpetually offended. I'm completely fine with existing but it's somewhat of a disaster so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's quite disturbing the sheer level of posting coming from him. Everything an attempt to land some sort of blow in a discussion where there's no victory to achieve. Every disingenuous post is some kind of attempt to "win" and they're not even on the same battlefield. So much so, that when there's bugger all to talk about regarding GB News he has to spend pages on rabbit holes that are complete cul-de-sacs. I've said it before, it's downright creepy.

But the best one can say about all of his gibberish is at least it's not as completely redundant as the drive by shitposting from a few others on here that only chime in to rattle off some kind of inanity about "annoying lefties" and "TDS". For GB News to be annoying to lefties or anyone else it would, at least, have to be some what competent. However at the moment it is, at best, a disastrous parody that's only worthy as a vehicle for laughter and that's when it's not being a thoroughly pitiful exercise.

• Advertisement

Actually, this I will challenge.

I've noticed a theme over the past several dozen pages; the defensive stance taken by those who loathe GB News. "I am not annoyed by the channel", they say. They mask their annoyance by claiming that they're just "laughing" at GB News. Yet their entire posts are filled with hatred, dislike, hostility, animosity, and jeering. Ask yourselves, when the last time you've been off-your-head laughing whilst being consistently hostile? It's a mask. They don't find GB News funny at all. If anything, they see it as a threat - ideas they do not like pumped into the national debate. That's what winds them up.

It's the equivalent of alcoholics denying they have a problem. Schoolyard bullies laugh at some students, often because they first take a dislike to them or are angry with them.

We are seeing the same thing with GB News.

GB News winds them up, and for that alone I am thankful.

And Tony EH, you have almost 15,000 posts, 6x more than me - yet you have the audacity to complain about the "sheer level of posting" from my good self. I simply don't have the time to post 15,000 posts. And what's worse, you registered only a year earlier than me! The sheer level of posting is shocking...

Aww poor bullied little GBNews.

Trust me we are laughing at it. I was worried at first that some moderate people I know would switch from Sky to this and I would have to spend ages arguing inane topics about "woke this or that" but it hasn't happened.

The moderate right "silent majority" as ye like to call it is fine as is and has completely ignored the great rallying cry and has gone totally unnoticed outside of some political internet forums.

This is nothing like Trump or Fox who are scary because they had/have power. This is just funny and when I am not skiving off work on Boards I forget GBnews exists

The only offended people are the ones going around reporting innocuous posts and trying to get posters banned.

These are the same posters who are only having a laugh about GB News.

If there is nothing wrong with your post you won't get banned so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I have probably had a ton of reports I'll never even know about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Are you going to equate any attack on the stupid thing you try and support as derangement? This thread seems pretty humorous and light hearted watch at how a new TV news channel is going down the crapper, is that what you call derangement?

That's not true though... This seems more like a rant...

LOL.

It's 15,000 posts over 13 years FFS and that's a prime example of your inability to focus, in lieu of trying to score something.

As for your "challenge", the only thing I am interested in GB News for is as a discussion point at just how inept the whole exercise was/is in trying to create a Fox News for Britain and just how the people at the head of the table were duped into doing it in the first place. It's content, from what I've seen of it, has been completely amateurish and that's being kind. It has been a fat disaster and any other assessment of it is in the realm of fantasists, propagandists and liars.

The strangest thing about the whole shitshow, however, is that there's someone on Boards that feels they have to log in every day on this thread to shill for it, despite the fact that with each post they make themselves look more and more absurd and dishonest because of that endeavour.

Okay, I accept that was a stupid oversight on my part! 😋

But the rest, I disagree with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I find the consistent warping of arguments and use of histrionics quite revealing. The GB News defenders know it's a doomed enterprise deep down and that it exemplifies the dearth of intelligence in the modern right.

Many modern right wingers unfortunately seem unable to debate honestly and so much adopt disingenuity as de rigeur.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

An innocuous post wont get anyone banned from anywhere.

If someone posts something that gets them banned AND in response they somehow decide its the fault of someone else they are banned, you can be damn sure people will be laughing.

That line of thought has always been hilarious.

• Advertisement

Based on this post, it seems that maybe you are guilty of warping arguments. Perhaps the arguments are stated clearly, but you are warping them and adding to them a motivation and meaning that is not intended?

Psychological projection springs to mind. Histrionics flows naturally from the above.

Once you cast aside an entire spectrum of the electorate as being "unable to debate honestly", that perhaps says more about you than those who you are critiquing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The idea of GB News as a threat did give me a bit of a timely chuckle as the rain came chucking time. Was it poor Douglas Hurd of whom it was once said it was like being "savaged by a dead sheep". Anyway, that is what came instantly to mind.

So far we have seen that defaming an innocent person and then comparing this man who has committed no crime to a known serial paedophile does not get you banned I don't know why anyone would be worried about an innocuous post

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nah. I've laid out my views plain for all to see and all I've got back are snarky comments and disingenuity. If you have a question, you should ask it instead of casting me as part of some apocryphal mob desperate to see GB News fail.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

But you've argued that the right are "unable to debate honestly".

On your terms, then, I shouldn't bother asking a question because, to begin with, you believe that my motivations are malign.

You can't call someone racist with no justification whatsoever for doing so, compare Marcus Rashford to Jimmy Saville, gloat about triggering people and then expect people to believe you're debating in good faith.

But you feel the need to log-in every day and respond, as well as trash GB News.

There's no difference, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

But you don't debate honestly

You wrongly labeled me a racist then whinged about people using labels.

You then went off on a two day tangent insinuating Rashford had somehow done something wrong based on a Spectator article that was never published and you have never read.

You then said you based your decision on his tweets about said article, when shown the tweets and asked what you find "wrong" about them you just motored on and didn't reply.

You are the epitomy of a bad faith poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

You have yourself accused the naysayers of having malign motivation in wanting GB News to fail, so you are certainly familiar with the concept.

• Advertisement

That's not malign; it's a fact.

They want GB News to fail abysmally, then to stand on its grave and gloat.

You could not possibly read the comments here and conclude they want GB News to become a roaring success! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

You are the one ascribing the motivation as malign. I could as easily ascribe malign motivation to yourself for wanting a divisive, virtue signalling anti-"woke" mouthpiece for rightwingers to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Gentlemanne

wow youre like SO obssessed with GBNews, you must be so mad.

This is exactly the sort of caterwauling I was talking about by the way. If GB News is so fragile that it can be damaged by opinions here then I daresay it's not long for this world.

• Advertisement

I honestly didn't think my opinion had such power.

But you've spent many a page tearing asunder modern conservatism, populism, the anti-woke brigade etc. -- the very subjects that characterize GB News.

So, I don't think it's much of a stretch to conclude that you probably hope it fails.

i would be quite happy if it fails. The negativity and hatred it stands for is something that the world can do without. Andrew Neil must have lost his mind when he agreed to be in involved. He has thrown away a hard earned reputation and ends up being associated with Farage who he dislikes intensely.

Well, if you're suggesting that I don't think much of this profligated trolling operation then you'd be correct. I'm intrigued by the idea that someone thinks launching a TV news channel is a profitable idea in the world of social media. A bit like Grandad on Only Fools and Horses hoping for gas lighting to make a comeback.

I couldn't care less if it fails. Basic cop on would tell you that it's a pretty rubbish idea for a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

GB News (or any new news channel) was never going to make a profit, so how long it's around depends on how long its backers are willing to stump up funds. To that end I wouldn't be too surprised if it is around for at least one election cycle?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

"I couldn't care less if it fails. Basic cop on would tell you that it's a pretty rubbish idea for a business."

This is the key point.

Starting a dedicated "News Opinion" channel in the UK given the Ofcom rules around balance that is exclusively focused on one viewpoint is by any reasonable and objective calculation an utterly crazy business model.

The core audience that are aligned with the viewpoint just isn't big enough to financially sustain a TV channel - I'd be saying the exact same thing if were discussing "Momentum TV" or whatever as a left wing version.

Given that the rules in play prevent you from going "full looney" a la OANN/NewsMax in the US etc., this means that you can't even build an audience from the perpetually outraged (see any show with Piers Morgan on it) or those that enjoy watching car crash TV through their fingers.

What you are then left with is a weak-sauce hodge podge of whinging and whining about how no one listens to you and how you really are the voice of the infamous, ethereal (and imaginary) "silent majority".

And again , to reiterate I'd be saying exactly the same thing about some "hyper-woke" TV station as well were it to launch.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Pretty certain the accusation of "Profligate trolling" is directed at GB News and not anyone posting here.

I would say it about any news station that is clearly set up with intentions other than reporting news. Now I know a lot of media lean this way or that a little but this kind of flagrant Americanised BS deserves to be laughed at

GB News isn't a poster. I clearly used the word "operation" to clarify what I was directing the comment at.

The Farage show is on as we speak.

Guests tonight include the Professor from Oxford, Carl Heneghan - discussing COVID-19; and later it's Anne Widdecombe in the Talking Pints feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Tomorrow

The surviving members of Shawaddywaddy give thier thoughts on Brexit

And talking pints with the crankies talking about how much the price of chewing gum has risen since the 70's.

I can't conceive of a bigger waste of time than this.

Carl Heneghan; an Oxford specialist commenting on COVID-19 - a waste of time?

Anne Widdecombe is a formidable force when it comes to thinking critically on issues of the day, even if I disagree with her on many matters.

This approach of only listening to those with whom you agree is nothing more than a vast neon-rich sign, screaming insecurity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd love it to fail frankly because I know the result is you'll move on to the next chaos topic and my prophecy will be fulfilled.

No need for me to hide. It's a doomed enterprise from the start, as you already stated yourself it's only existence is to wind people up. You can't make a business out of that . Unless of course you are relying on really preying on innocent idiots and well trump has that locked up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement