Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork - Netflix.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

😁 In fairness there is probably the same amount of evidence against the Farrells as there is against Ian Bailey!

Thats no evidence at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If we didn't have a police complaints authority even one as toothless as GSOC the lies the Guards spread around wouldn't be countered by the official report. They forgot they destroyed it at the time of the GSOC investigation? Or they are just incompetent and untrustworthy?

In a report published yesterday, the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission (GSOC) found no evidence of any high-level corruption by gardaí, as alleged by journalist Ian Bailey, his partner Jules Thomas, and witness Marie Farrell. The report also found that other important garda exhibits connected with the case went missing, including a blood-spattered gate taken from close to where Ms Toscan Du Plantier’s body was found, a wine bottle found four months after the murder in a field near the scene, and a black overcoat belonging to Ian Bailey.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30859712.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

My guess is that when GSOC asked in 2004 where the gate was, they didn't know at the time but it had been sent to the technical forensic laboratory in Phoenix park. It was tested there a 2nd time, and again at the request of the French. When all testing was complete, it was decided the gate was of zero evidential value and disposed of.

Obviously, I don't know but it's been clarified post GSOC investigation that it was tracked down tested again and disposed of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭nc6000

The Gardai admitted as part of the 2018 GSOC investigation that the gate was missing. It's as simple as that.

Now that the two series have aired and show how incompetent they were, they decide to leak a story that the gate wasn't lost after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

The GSOC report said the gate wasn’t available, wasn’t that what the recent statement said had caused the confusion in the first place? Not available due to being destroyed when the owners declined to accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭nc6000

This is from the GSOC report, you should read it- the gate was one of a number of missing items:

On 25 September 2013, following a written request by GSOC, documentation was received from the Garda Síochána which outlined an extensive list of significant documents including witness statements and 22 exhibits that had gone missing and could no longer be located by the Garda Síochána, along with when they were noticed as missing and what steps the Garda Síochána had taken to try and locate them. It was reported to GSOC that extensive searches had been carried out by the Garda Síochána for the missing items.

The missing exhibits included:

a) a blood-spattered gate taken from close to where Madame Toscan Du Plantier's body was found,

b) a French wine bottle found four months after the murder in a field next to the scene,

c) a black overcoat belonging to Ian Bailey, 

d) the original memo of interview of Jules Thomas following her arrest in 1997,

e) an original witness statement from Marie Farrell provided on 5 March 2004,

f) an original witness statement from Jules Thomas dated 19 February 1997

In total 139 original witness statements were either missing or not held by the garda Síochána. These included witness statements from garda members, forensic scientists and members of the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,982 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Wasn’t it the case that some of the case files had pages ripped out? That seems very dodgy, if that’s the case.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Garda conspire to pin crime on IB, crime not pinned on IB, Garda cover tracks. Nobody else going to be removing statements evidence etc only an Garda Síochána

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Sheridan seemed to start off going after Bailey, and even close to the end, I thought he was staying close to see if he would break. He then seemed to believe that there wasn’t enough evidence.

Netflix is a hatchet job, plain and simple. They should have put it to Dwyer that the coat was taken by the Gardai, he was basically allowed to say whatever he liked, and the same on Sky. They also let the journalist Michael Sheridan loose, it was almost like letting anyone have their say; as long as they agreed with the case against Bailey. They don’t seem to allow anyone on who may be anyway supportive on Bailey. At least Sky let Dwyer say his piece, as well as the locals.

All the statements from french and Italian people that came out of nowhere. The French not wanting to get MFs later statements, only the ones where she implicated Bailey. The French not allowing access to French citizens for questioning, yet demanding Bailey to be handed over on flimsy evidence. I think the family have been given a bum steer from the beginning, and have gone almost psychotic in their belief in the Garda story, ignoring how badly the case was managed.

Bailey is without doubt a thoroughly dislikable individual, but I think the Gardai involved were equally despicable. Trying to set up people to get close to Bailey by getting them drugs and money was vile.

Very noticeable difference between the programmes ; Netflix doesn’t show Bailey with drink, or drinking. Most of the time with Sheridan he seems to be plastered, or with drink close to hand. Yet, Sheridan seems to be more sympathetic to him. I think Jules was a heavy drinker too, but has given it up since. His performance at her party was embarrassing.

I think Bailey had a source in the local Gardai, which is how he got so much information. There was no other journalist close, and he would have paid one of the guards to get such information to get the scoops. This may have contributed to the cops dislike of him. He also offered up samples of DNA, fingerprints etc. All this, and the early botching of the investigation seemed to be ignored by Netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Finished this last night. The final episode rushed through things a lot, imo, given how much was included in the first two.

Two of the interviewees always had their arms crossed (Lepitch and I can't remember the other guy's name but had a Welsh or West Country accent) which struck me as odd. It's true that there didn't seem to be much support for Bailey but he got plenty of camera time himself. I don't think he did himself any favours.

There seems more than enough circumstantial evidence to point his way and he is certainly portrayed (and contributes himself to that portrayal) as an oddball and an attention seeker. Taking the libel case in the way he did was bizarre and the case he took against the Guards which fell flat on its face seemed to do more harm than good.

I don't think the Guards handled things properly, though I don't think it was as extreme as Bailey claims.

Dwyer is a likeable fellow and I reckon he was the most genuine and upfront interviewee, though he was quite dismissive about any concerns about the Gardai's performance. Dwyer's probably a lot more clever than he lets on and I reckon he's sure who did it but just couldn't get enough solid evidence.

• Advertisement

I thought the opposite of you on Dwyer. I thought Dwyer came accross as a very sly slithery individual who would stop at nothing to pin this murder on somebody any way he could. The person he picked as the murderer was the local oddball Bailey. He was sneering his way though the interview which was very unprofessional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

All sounds great until you realise there is zero evidence to back up your claim and plenty of evidence that IB is guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 morettibirra

No DNA evidence, no plausible evidence that Bailey did it and was able to act normal for Jules.

Plenty of evidence that he is an odd man

No DNA evidence, tons of circumstantial evidence among them his confessions to various witnesses he creeped out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Confessions or sarcastic dark humour presented out of context?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,471 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

You must be new to the world of false confessions. I've read enough crime books, podcasts and documentaries to know that citcumstancial evidence means very little when cops/gardai eyes are only trained on one suspect. It's a total botch by the gardai...zero evidence that IB is guilty in terms of real evidence, eye witness, DNA etc...nothing.

There's not a jury in Ireland that wouldn't convict Bailey on the full evidence provided.

Bailey has already lost in court - twice in Ireland and once in France.

The issue here is that few know the full facts. The state is always the conspirator when they have their tin foil hats on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Your post only serves to illustrate how selective presentation of the truth can be misleading.

The office of the director of public prosecutions has twice ruled that there is not the evidence to prosecute anyone for the murder of Sophie Touscon du Plantier. How one can say that there isn't a jury that wouldn't convict someone when there isn't even the evidence to charge someone is beyond me.

The Garda ombudsman was highly critical of the investigation only falling short of a finding of corruption and perversion of justice.

Ian Bailey has repeatedly won in court. He has won defamation actions against two newspapers (lost against another six as they were factually correct in identifying him as a suspect). He has repeatedly won, in the highest courts in the land, against attempts to extradite him to France for a crime which the Irish prosecution service has repeatedly found there is not evidence to charge or prosecute anyone.

The French trial, held in abstentia and which has been slated as "a show trial for the purpose of satisfying certain persons in relation to their own beliefs in relation to the matter.” selectively accepted evidence which had been discredited by Irish authorities while arbitrarily rejecting earlier exculpatory evidence.

The truth can be editorialised to present entirely different views. I am reminded of the following scene from Yes Minister which illustrates how easily truth can be manipulated.

Plenty of evidence I'm afraid - chief among them is the fact that Bailey kept changing his story

Peter I think you need to do some more research on the case. The netflix doc is very selective in the info it showed in their documentary and is not a true respresentation of the mess the investigation was. It was biaised against Bailey. Have you listened to the Westcork Podcast - its gives a more detailed description of the case.

There is simply no evidence that Bailey did it. Marie Farrell also kept changing her story - by your logic shes guilty of the murder too.

• Advertisement

It is not true that there is simply no evidence.

Bailey's story was constantly changing - not in the years after but in the weeks after the murder. An innocent man has no reason to change his story. One part of the story change that was critical was when Bailey told Gardaí on 10th February 1997 that "I slept with Jules and did not leave the house". He claimed he woke up at 930AM and made her coffee. This has been changed by Bailey and Thomas herself. After a night of drinking Bailey left his house (to go to the Studio, 150 yards away, became Bailey's claim) in the very early hours of the night Sophie was murdered and had no alibi. Later that day it was noticed that his hand & face were cut with marks that weren't there the night before.

This is just the beginning of a stack of evidence against Bailey but the fan boys on here of Bailey (or even Bailey himself posting here) don't even want to look at the evidence.

Post edited by Peter Flynt on

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Peter if I asked you now to run through what you did on Sunday morning the 11th July last or any other day you would probably find it hard to recall in detail. If I asked the same question to your partner he or she would probably give a different version of events. It is hard for most people to recall the mundane day to day stuff and what they did on that specific day. I dont know why he changed it - maybe he recalled later that he was wrong in what he told the gardai, maybe he wanted to be honest, maybe he wanted to stay close to the gardai in his role as a journalist. It is odd but this doesnt mean he murdered her.

The scratches and cuts have been explained over and over again - he cut down a tree and killed turkeys. Witness's have backed this up.

TO state "It was noticed that his hand & face were cut with marks that weren't there the night before" is untrue and was rejected by the DPP report conclusively. If you are going to make that claim then you need to show why the DPP's conclusion is wrong.

The DPP looked at the so-called "stack of evidence" in closer detail than anyone here and concluded there was no evidence to warrant a prosecution. Are they Bailey fanboys also? What rubbish.

See Section 10

DPP’s Report | (wordpress.com)

Mr. Bailey cut down the Xmas tree and killed the Turkeys on the afternoon of Sunday 22nd Dec 1996 - the afternoon before the murder later that night/early morning . He then went to the pub that evening where no witness recalled seeing marks on his hand(s) or face. He allegedly even played the Bodhran there. A critical witness, Arianna Boarina, who stayed (as a friend of Jules' daughters) at the Bailey/Thomas household noticed "a lot of scratches" on 23rd December (hours after the murder) and has stated that it was not plausible they came from a Xmas tree as the tree, she claimed, was so tiny.

The first time the scratches were noticed were when Mr. Bailey and his girlfriend turned up at 2.20PM at the murder scene where they were immediately noticed by Garda Martin Malone.

Virginia Oliver (Thomas) in her statement of 2 January 1997 states that “in relation to the scratches on Ian’s hand last week I can verify that Ian killed and plucked three turkeys on the Sunday before Christmas. Ian also climbed to the top of a tree to cut the top off to use as a Christmas tree. I did see his hands scratched when he came down the tree.”

If they were cuts from briar thorns they would not have healed up so quickly after the fact.

That's because they were lighter scratches from a christmas tree.

That would be open to interpretation as to whether you believe Virginia Thomas made a statement of her own free will, or whether she was under the stress and pressure of trying to protect her mother from a man who gave her mother a swollen lip, a black and blue left eye and ripped out clumps of her hair some seven months earlier.

The youngest daughter of Jules (Fenella) told of how Bailey & Jules left their home in the morning after for some time - a claim categorically denied by J & IB. There was apparently some "persuasion" to get Fenella to change her account. She apparently never did.

Jules daughters didnt like him - Virginia wouldnt have said this if it was untrue as she couldnt stand him. It would have been the perfect way to get him out of their mothers lives forever by getting him sent down for murder. Even the spanish girl ( your critical witness ) staying in the house at the time seen nothing unusual. Although she did remember years and years later seeing a large coat soaking in a small bucket - years later hmmmm😲

There was also other witness's who seen him cutting down the tree. When Ian Bailey arrived at the crime scene the Gardai present didnt even notice the scratches on his hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

The DPP does not balance the witnesses who saw no scratches on the night before the murder while Bailey played music in the pub with the mass of witness evidence that he had them after the murder. The only thing we can conclusively say is that he clearly had a lot of noticeable scratches after the murder and there is highly ambiguous evidence that he had much, if any scratches before it. We also have a witness statement that one of Jules' daughters contradicted the statement that Bailey cut down the tree, she told a relative she had to cut it down herself because IB was too lazy to do it for them.

The key to the case was Jule's first interrogation. Personally, I think she was very close to confirming he did it. She said he came in the next morning after disappearing during the night and had a cut on his forehead that wasn't there the night before. She also said he stopped to admire the 'moonlight' on the way home at a viewing point where Sophie's house could be seen and said he might go over there. She also said he had a 'premonition' that something bad was going to happen while at the viewing point. She also said they never left the house the following morning while her daughter's statement said they both left the house for around two hours. Two witnesses made statements that they saw Jules that morning before the murder was reported.

After Marie Farrell's miraculous conversion to Bailey's most valuable witness, while he was preparing to sue the state for 'millions', she said she saw one of the two witnesses, who said they saw Jules driving that morning, outside her shop. She made this claim completely unprompted and having never before mentioned this completely irrelevant fact in any previous statement or interview. A separate witness in Bailey's case gave testimony that MF told her she was in line to get a cut of Bailey's winnings, if he was successful in his case against the state.

• Advertisement

Your post is utterly without merit and foundation. There is absolutely zero evidence for what you have suggested.

Her statement along with others from outside the household taken together convinced the DPP these were light tree scratches obtained before the murder and not briar scratches sustained during the murder. Where he mysteriously left no trace on the briars of any forensic evidence. It's not a credible scenario as the DPP outlines.

Even Garda statements:

"Gda. Kelleher says that he noticed Bailey’s left hand and could see scratches on the wrist. He described the scratches as being light and extending all along his left wrist."

Some people may have noticed things the day after the murder such as light scratches they did not notice the day before.

And we have witnesses who did notice the scratches the day before.

The scratches have been thoroughly discredited by the DPP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement