Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Would it be fair to say that the relevant stakeholders are the government and the reason for delay is because they aren't getting a clear answer one way or another from them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

How much difference to the training for residents of this forum does it really make the descion being pushed back a couple of weeks? How different will the running that you do be now? Surely you'll still be running?

The descion being pushed back must mean there is some hope, or they are trying to figure out where to draw a line through the entries of who gets to run or not. I assume I'd be cut out if they did any limits on entry, and I'm fine with not having to pay out for multiple PCR tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Would it be fair to say that the relevant stakeholders are the government and the reason for delay is because they aren't getting a clear answer one way or another from them?

Running is important to us.
    The marathon is important to us.

Putting that to one side - no clear answer for something 17 weeks in the future is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

robinph wrote: »
    How much difference to the training for residents of this forum does it really make the descion being pushed back a couple of weeks? How different will the running that you do be now? Surely you'll still be running?

The descion being pushed back must mean there is some hope, or they are trying to figure out where to draw a line through the entries of who gets to run or not. I assume I'd be cut out if they did any limits on entry, and I'm fine with not having to pay out for multiple PCR tests.

Yeah thats a fair point tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

tunney wrote: »
    Running is important to us.
    The marathon is important to us.

Putting that to one side - no clear answer for something 17 weeks in the future is possible.

Nail on the head there.
    The governement isnt commiting to anything more than a couple of weeks ahead right now, 17 weeks is over the horizon from their perspective, cannot see that changing in two weeks time.
    From a logistical perspective for the organisers July 15th must be cutting things pretty close.
    Will the government be giving commitments 15 weeks ahead then?, I doubt it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

The doom merchants win again.
    I have sympathy for the DCM organizers and they are doing all they can here by pushing it back on Govt/NPHET.
    They must have some buy in from suppliers and insurers as otherwise they would have folded by now but are persisting.

People like Aoife McLysaght, Mary Favier and Gerry Killeen need to strung up and flogged in public when this is over, their agenda is keeping themselves in the public eye for as long as possible with denial of the scientific testing/approach of the wider world in favor of keeping themselves relevant for a while longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

It is impossible to believe that the country won't be in a much better position re Covid come October. They are saying 20-somethings will be fully vaccinated by the end of Sept. We are already in a good place - only 13 in ICU. But the whole of Europe is concerned about the Delta variant whether we like it or not.

That said, I don't envy the organisers here. It is the ultimate rock and a hard place. I know the likelihood of transmission is very very very low outside, but putting thousands of runners onto a street in close proximity and coupled with thousands of people shouting at them, I can see why they are slow to commit to it.

If they ran it and there was even 50 people who ended up in hospital because of it, there would be moaning about why they ran the event in the first place. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I wonder would they consider putting it back to April/May next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Peckham

Incredibly frustrating. Difficult to see it being confirmed by mid-July. The mood music is worsening daily.

Most of the frustration comes from looking at what's going on elsewhere - London, Berlin and Belfast all confirmed to happen before the end of October, but yet the relevant "stakeholders" don't have enough confidence to confirm Dublin.

It's yet another example of how out of step we are with the rest of Europe.

It is impossible to believe that the country won't be in a much better position re Covid come October. They are saying 20-somethings will be fully vaccinated by the end of Sept. We are already in a good place - only 13 in ICU. But the whole of Europe is concerned about the Delta variant whether we like it or not.

That said, I don't envy the organisers here. It is the ultimate rock and a hard place. I know the likelihood of transmission is very very very low outside, but putting thousands of runners onto a street in close proximity and coupled with thousands of people shouting at them, I can see why they are slow to commit to it.

If they ran it and there was even 50 people who ended up in hospital because of it, there would be moaning about why they ran the event in the first place. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I wonder would they consider putting it back to April/May next year?

Any opinion on the number of cases in Dublin since the week long session in South William Street a while back?
    You think runners would be packed in as tightly and for as long as the people were those evenings?
    The 29th of May it was when Dr Holohan tweeted his shock at the crowds.

liam%20Street%20for%20use.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Peckham wrote: »

It's yet another example of how out of step we are with the rest of Europe.

Its long past this point I'm afraid.

The country is officially a shambles.

The UK will be removing ALL restrictions in a month..no masks, no social distancing NO anything. There is nothing of the sort planned here in fact the mood is suggesting we should have another lockdown to you know prevent further lockdowns:pac:

Below sums everything up right now with Government and NPHET.

Since the news that our reopening may be postponed because of the "worrying situation" in the UK.....the UK itself have told people they can go to Ibiza on holidays, have 140k people at Silverstone next month and 60k in Wembley in a couple of weeks.

We have an open border with this country, remember the great phase from the lads at the start of this...The virus knows no borders...hmm except the one between the Republic and the UK apparently.

• Advertisement

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Its long past this point I'm afraid.

The country is officially a shambles.

The UK will be removing ALL restrictions in a month..no masks, no social distancing NO anything. There is nothing of the sort planned here in fact the mood is suggesting we should have another lockdown to you know prevent further lockdowns:pac:

Let's revisit this in a month. I don't think this post will age well.

tunney wrote: »
    Let's revisit this in a month. I don't think this post will age well.

83% of UK residents have received the 1st dose of the vaccine

63% of UK residents have received the 2nd dose of the vaccine

That combined with the fact that it is Mid Summer if this post doesn't age well with nearly every single vulnerable person vaccinated we can only conclude that Vaccines DONT work or at least not on new variants.

We all better get ready to live in Lockdown every single winter/spring for the rest of our lives and marathons will be the least of our worrys.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

Delay at least means they see some hope of it going ahead, would have just called it today if it was going to be impossible, so fair play to them for not giving up... just cant see how a marathon 50 miles up the road in belfast is confirming but dublin is different..obv i know the north is further ahead with the vaccine roll out but we will be finished in october, have no issue if its called off in line with other european marathons, just cant accept why ireland would be different to everywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

The doom merchants win again ...

People like Aoife McLysaght, Mary Favier and Gerry Killeen need to strung up and flogged in public when this is over, their agenda is keeping themselves in the public eye for as long as possible with denial of the scientific testing/approach of the wider world in favor of keeping themselves relevant for a while longer.

That's just pure silliness ... please consider dialling down the vitriol about those individuals before you embarrass yourself any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I feel for the organisers - it can’t be an easy decision to make at all and whichever decision they make in the end could well be the wrong one! The delay in the announcement says to me “maybe” rather than no, so I’d be hopeful yet. I wouldn’t mind but I don’t even have an entry, the husband does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Any opinion on the number of cases in Dublin since the week long session in South William Street a while back?
    You think runners would be packed in as tightly and for as long as the people were those evenings?
    The 29th of May it was when Dr Holohan tweeted his shock at the crowds.

liam%20Street%20for%20use.jpg

Look, I'm not claiming to be a public health expert (nor are you I suspect). You have no more of an idea how many covid cases can be attributed to that gathering than I do. Maybe none - maybe some of the hundreds we are seeing every day.

The first couple of miles of a marathon, people are on top of one another and that is the reality like it or not.

My point was (and is) that the organisers have a tough decision to make and they can only be guided by the public health. I don't envy them.

Relax a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

The world and it's people are going through the mill with the pandemic and people losing their mind over the marathon, outside of being one of the organisers count yourself very lucky if this race is an actual real worry for you. Would have thought people's perspective on many things since March 2020 might have shifted somewhat.

It would be great if it goes ahead but if it doesn't then so be it, I've ran the last 5 real world editions of Dublin Marathon and have my entry for the next one. If it goes ahead great, if it doesn't it's a pity but will get over it. I love the race and plan on running every one into the future whilst I still have legs to run.
    I have started my training for a mid-late October marathon now but even if it doesn't go ahead the training is not going to do me any harm.

Best of luck to the organisers, as someone who is involved in trying to help host a club race in August this year and trying to deal with the requirements for track and field this year for our club members it really is not easy at all to do anything.

You don't need a race to train or the run, find something else to motivate yourself to train if you need it and just keep running!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The first couple of miles of a marathon, people are on top of one another and that is the reality like it or not.

And there have been several thousand "test" events worldwide now for those first few miles with parkrun events happening and not one incident of transmission being linked to having occurred at an event. These events have not just been happening in the likes of Australia and New Zealand either, they have been in countries with covid in the wild as well.

The far bigger risk for an event like Dublin though is transport and people getting to and from the start/ finish in crowded busses/ trains/ planes and pubs afterwards, not the actual participation or spectators watching the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

The doom merchants win again.
    I have sympathy for the DCM organizers and they are doing all they can here by pushing it back on Govt/NPHET.
    They must have some buy in from suppliers and insurers as otherwise they would have folded by now but are persisting.

i think your problems might extend beyond whether or not a race happens at some point later this year. Jesus.

DCM are in no position today to stand over a decision, were they to make it.
    Gov are indicating today that the next stage of reopening won’t happen as planned on July 5th, so a firm decision is completely impossible for DCM to make at this point, but they want to give it every possible chance, which is only fair.
    Meanwhile, it’s only a race.

Its hard to believe the government havent just logged on to boards to get all their expert info. All the immunologists are posting here it seems.

People holding up the UK as some kind of model country. Where cases are continuing to rise. Where the travel minister refuses to say foreign travel wont be restricted again. Where they have had to delay their restrictions easing.

And other countries?

Russia - Yesterday had 20,000 new cases and 569 deaths - the highest figures since January.

Portugal - Announced new restrictions for a few regions as cases rise. Will need to look at others.

Israel - Has had to re-introduce masks indoors & are looking at other measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

event wrote: »
    Its hard to believe the government havent just logged on to boards to get all their expert info. All the immunologists are posting here it seems.

People holding up the UK as some kind of model country. Where cases are continuing to rise. Where the travel minister refuses to say foreign travel wont be restricted again. Where they have had to delay their restrictions easing.

And other countries?

Russia - Yesterday had 20,000 new cases and 569 deaths - the highest figures since January.

Portugal - Announced new restrictions for a few regions as cases rise. Will need to look at others.

This is not a dig at you, first thing i want to say

569 deaths out of 144 million population in Russia!

Vaccines are 95% effective against the variant, this means the flu is more dangerous!!!

We are the only country in Europe where indoor dining is not back.
    We got to start living again and get rid of this fear thinking.

I wonder can Dublin marathon get insurance to cover a lockdown exception?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

event wrote: »

And other countries?

Or other counties such as France, Germany and Switzerland where life is quickly returning back to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SteadyNed

Does anyone know if it's still possible to defer? I'm sick of this uncertainty

Lot of people on the defensive here, sorry but I've turned off RTE news months ago lads, I'm not up to speed with the latest propaganda.
    Makes no odds to me whether one particular race happens or not, fact is that it's like everything in this country now, it's fate is decided by a very small group of people to suit their own agenda, we have to get back to normal at some stage.

Lot of people on the defensive here, sorry but I've turned off RTE news months ago lads, I'm not up to speed with the latest propaganda.
    Makes no odds to me whether one particular race happens or not, fact is that it's like everything in this country now, it's fate is decided by a very small group of people to suit their own agenda, we have to get back to normal at some stage.

Its strange I never realized the running community in Ireland or at least the ones represented here was filled with Zero Covid merchants.

Yeah know the same Zero Covid merchants that live in Austrailia. Australia which has effectively closed it borders to the whole world.........but shockingly Sydney is entering another lockdown today over 33 cases...that zero covid:pac:

This is not a dig at you, first thing i want to say

569 deaths out of 144 million population in Russia!

Vaccines are 95% effective against the variant, this means the flu is more dangerous!!!

We are the only country in Europe where indoor dining is not back.
    We got to start living again and get rid of this fear thinking.

I wonder can Dublin marathon get insurance to cover a lockdown exception?

I agree 100%. And I am out there in restaurants and public dining and I am back playing football and doing what the current guidelines recommend, I aint at home shying away. But Im not an expert and at a guess, I'd say none of the regular contributors are.

This hurling from the ditch is very easy to do and helps no one tbh

People on about agendas and the like. Its conspiracy stuff. I mean this government literally couldn't hide the fact they had a p1ss up in a hotel in Galway last year. Yet some people would have you believe that the CMO is some maniacal genius who's plan is to have us all locked down so that................so that what? He can sit at home in his mansion on his throne of money while him, Leo and MM send messages in their whatsapp group and plan the next stage of their takeover of the country.

Its like something you'd see in a Bond film tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I heard MM saying today that they are looking and learning from the UK, Portugal etc in relation to the Delta variant.

They are happy enough to do it when it's negative, but will absolutely refuse to look at pilot events or antigen tests in these countries and insist on holding useless tiny events in vast stadiums to bide their time to avoid opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Just got email from Madrid Rock and Roll. Race going ahead on 26th of September

Vaccination Certificate and PCRS/Antigen test 72 hours before Number pickup
    Temp checks at start waves of 500
    Wear mask in start area until race starts.
    Pick up your own refreshments at aid staions
    No live bands
    No baggage Area

It can be done. My only worry is that we will be the only country not allowed to fly for non essential reasons in September

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

ger664 wrote: »
    Just got email from Madrid Rock and Roll. Race going ahead on 26th of September

Vaccination Certificate and PCRS/Antigen test 72 hours before Number pickup
    Temp checks at start waves of 500
    Wear mask in start area until race starts.
    Pick up your own refreshments at aid staions
    No live bands
    No baggage Area

It can be done. My only worry is that we will be the only country not allowed to fly for non essential reasons in September

You had me until ‘no live bands’.
    I’m out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Indoor dining pushed back 3 weeks apparently

Reckon DCM is a goner so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Indoor dining pushed back 3 weeks apparently

Reckon DCM is a goner so

I think it’s less likely as no chance they could confirm by next Friday with the way Tony and co are talking

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    I think it’s less likely as no chance they could confirm by next Friday with the way Tony and co are talking

I would be more confident if anything, given the ahead of time increases in crowds permitted to the GAA matches this weekend.
    If that keeps ramping up and goes well it bodes well for running events.

They are going after drinking culture as their agenda is to change this when the opportunity presents itself. Dining and sports can't be compared.

I do however think they will have to agree to forgo the expo and limit to Irish island only entries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I would be more confident if anything, given the ahead of time increases in crowds permitted to the GAA matches this weekend.

They are going after drinking culture as their agenda is to change this when the opportunity presents itself. Dining and sports can't be compared.

I do however think they will have to agree to forgo the expo and limit to Irish island only entries.

outdoor expo maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FinnC

If shopping centres are opened and packed up and down the country then why could there not be an Expo?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

They are already talking about September being mental with delta variant number and schools not returning etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

cases will increase due to the delta variant however as has been demonstrated in the UK, increased cases does not correlate to the same spike in hospitalizations and ICU that was seen with 1st and 2nd waves.

unfortunately this rhetoric does not bode well for NPHET.

the public are government becoming increasingly more frustrated with their agenda to keep the country in indefinite lockdown. therefore we should be optimistic for october 27th marathon. limit to irish residents only if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How could they possibly plan the race with any certainty considering the noises coming from government and their track record of changing things at the last minute? It would be an impossible task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

How could they possibly plan the race with any certainty considering the noises coming from government and their track record of changing things at the last minute? It would be an impossible task.

Yeah I would imagine DM finances are thin enough as it is, if they organise now laying out the cash and gov cancel in a few months it could be the end for them financially. It is quite fustrating that a clear roadmap has not been laid out by government.

So as most thought, no race.

Ah well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Belfast it is so!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Will be shown to be the wrong decision in the fullness of time.

18,000 in Croke Park on Saturday and Sunday this week.

Half a million odd mixing in the streets of the capital on both days.

What's the difference? we will have herd immunity in Oct, it will only get better.

Joke of a decision when you see marathons going on in the likes of Belfast,NY,London etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Got my money back. There's always tickets going if I want to do it

I think it was the correct decision made by the organisers. Too much risk that it may get binned 1-2 weeks before it.

Not sure about the financials of Belfast, but for London there is minimal risk of them going under if everything gets locked down the week beforehand...London will survive as it's big enough to take thee hit in it's own right and would also presumably get sufficient support in someway from government/ City of London if there was a risk of it going under and then not happening in 2022 because of the costs of a cancelation.

Don't see that Dublin has anywhere near that security to be able to take the risk, and unless government were to assure then that if there was a lockdown they would cover the costs incurred (which would still be fairly minimal for the government) the DCM organisers can't take that risk. For the long terms they have to cancel, hope that a few people pay for the virtual to keep some income coming in, and plan on coming back next year.

Everyone over 12 years who wants to will be fully vaccinated by mid September.

Take a bow Jim Aughney and friends, ye can come out from under the bed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Jim Aughney and DM clearly explained their decision and it is the correct one based on the government restrictions (certainly debatable whether these are too conservative). But to have him mocked here by a wet lettuce is as laughable as it is cringeworthy.

What changes between this October and October 2022 so brains?

The flippant attitude of NPHET, Govt and organisers are the only variables once we have a population vaccinated at a herd immunity level.

When organisers roll over and have their bellies ticked it makes a joke of their sport.

AI and DCM will probably be still curtain twitching next June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Dublin Marathon is a commercial operation run by a private company. There is no obligation on them to provide the service you are looking for.

They looked at the situation and made a call based on the uncertainties, which create market risks.

Whether their call is correct or not is really irrelevant. Race organisation is an open market. I don't see any alternative Dublin Marathon taking up the slack. Wonder why?

I get your point but they do have a monopoly on two things:

- Exclusive running of a marathon on the streets of Dublin

- The hosting of the national marathon

With that comes responsiblity to provide for those things or allow someone else to, do you think they would step aside within the next 12 months and allow a rival have both of the above options?

I am fairly confident of the following regarding this Oct should it have happened:

- People would have been willing to forfeit their fee and paid up again in 2022 if race was cancelled outside DCM control

- If race went ahead there would have been 20000 willing to run, the demand is there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement