Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

They have their own barriers but have put tables outside that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Mr.CoolGuy wrote: »
    Went to Bocelli's for lunch

What's the seating area like? I'd like to go next week but it's close to the bus station. Are there many unsavouries hanging around asking for a sup of your wine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Are there any restaurants outside of the city centre doing outside dining?

Douglas, Ballincollig, Blarney etc.

Looking to go somewhere for a birthday dinner but finding it hard to get a booking in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Looking to go somewhere for a birthday dinner but finding it hard to get a booking in the city.

Barrys, east village, south county, Marcello's, ecos, John o's , off the top of my head are all doing outside dining in Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Blairs inn, I was there Friday night, I had an outstanding meal out in their garden, the weather just about held up. They have a covered canopy area too. Nice change away from the noise of town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

What's the seating area like? I'd like to go next week but it's close to the bus station. Are there many unsavouries hanging around asking for a sup of your wine?

Was there over the weekend, it was fine; no worse than any other outdoor seating.

The seating on the South side of the street is covered with awning. There's one table kinda oddly isolated on the footpath on the other side (where we sat) with no cover or barriers around it. Service was a bit on the slow side, which isn't ideal if you have limited time at the table, but the food was excellent.

I'd actually prefer to sit out there than Prince's St., for me that feels a little claustrophobic and packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Spideoige

rob316 wrote: »
    Blairs inn, I was there Friday night, I had an outstanding meal out in their garden, the weather just about held up. They have a covered canopy area too. Nice change away from the noise of town

Plus one for Blair's Inn, have had takeaway a few times over the past few months and had food here at the weekend and really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

who_me wrote: »
    Was there over the weekend, it was fine; no worse than any other outdoor seating.

The seating on the South side of the street is covered with awning. There's one table kinda oddly isolated on the footpath on the other side (where we sat) with no cover or barriers around it. Service was a bit on the slow side, which isn't ideal if you have limited time at the table, but the food was excellent.

I'd actually prefer to sit out there than Prince's St., for me that feels a little claustrophobic and packed.

Yeah would echo all of this, except when I went there I found the service to be excellent. You may have been unlucky or else I was lucky.

No unsavoury types at all. You wouldn't think Parnell Place was only a few feet away.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Technically not Indian but Thali is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Another Fan here of Blair’s inn, gorgeous garden there now, really fab spot.

• Advertisement

Sorry to see Cafe Torino closed down

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Went to Paradisso last week to try their outdoor, casual incarnation.

I really enjoyed it. Just small plates, a few nibbles and wine. All the plates are €6 and there's about 8 of them.

I thought it was fantastic value, really. While the plates aren't big, the standard is very high. I mean you could have 6 plates (there's a cheesecake, too) for €36 which for a feed of that standard is excellent value in my book. Great wine list and very knowledgeable staff too.

Best night out I've had in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

sounds nice - miss Purple now.. bet she would have something +ve to say about this

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Paradiso is the one place I really want to visit again.

Did you have to book far in advance? I would imagine that they are very busy.

EDIT: To answer my own question:

The restaurant is busy . To check availability, please call 0214277939 between 10am and 5 pm Wednesday to Saturday. We are not taking reservations for our outdoor service, this is run on a walk in basis only

Reservations are now open for (indoor) dinner from July 27th through September

https://paradiso.restaurant/#

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

new Burger joint in Ballydehob - will have to try soon

We ate in what used to be Crawford & Co, it is now Aye I think.

Booked day before, for a Friday night. Seemed to be plenty of space. We were beneath a plastic roof between two buildings. Decorated with fake plastic plants (my pet hate)

They have deep fried baby spuds 3 ways. Sharing plates looked like mostly bread with dips, hummus, cheese, that kind of thing.

we had spuds with chorizo, prawns pilpil. They were both decent, plenty of garlic . Had the beef tacos, were ok. And had the veg tacos, bad, missed some Ingredients, sent them back and they were replaced in fairness.

staff were doing that thing of ambling around not making eye contact with anyone. Music was loud, making it tricky to understand what the staff were saying.

Staff member came over with the bill and card machine while we were eating, rather than asking if we wanted any more. They had booked another table sitting after us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That service sounds pretty poor, notAMember!

Service staff deliberately avoiding eye contact and engagement is infuriating and very common.

Bringing the bill while still eating is poor form, too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Was in there recently for just a pint.

Seemed very fake and generic, absolutely no atmosphere; will not go back to try the food, especially given your experience. Even the paper menu seemed clip arty and cheap. Just all the wrong signals.

A very different experience was L'attitiude. Sat outside on the quay, and had beers with delicious spiced almonds with saucisscon and bread. Generous portions, very good value, friendly staff and a lovely experience.

had a wonderful night with a 5 mates in Oriel House Hotel last night - service was v good but some obv inexperienced staff.. a bottle of coke got spilled over my mate - well not quite, but her clothes got some splashes.. mgmt gave us 2 bottles of wine on the house (no need for that) and offered to pay for dry cleaning (fair enough) - felt sorry for the young waitress.. obv learning - restaurants are in a tough situation staff wise.. in any event, we wer v well looked after.. twas like a pizza in Italy in the courtyard - weather was class.. nice music on speaker etc.. great atm in general - food was.. nothing fancy; standard fare.. but something to suit everyone.. and twas tasty.. so a great night had.. felt like I was on holidays abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I had a very different experience in aye to be fair.

I would agree with the lack of a bit of atmosphere but I couldnt really fault the staff, they were great and actually super attentive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭peek a boo

Met up with friends for lunch at The Good Day Deli during the week and really enjoyed it. Had a tasty meal in a very pretty garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Anyone go for indoor dining/drinking today at any of the places that have been closed all year? I've booked Jacobs on the Mall for the end of the week, really looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dingle1969

The restaurant I can't wait to get back into is the Glass Curtain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Just seen photo's of Arthur Mayne's outdoor dining ! - didn't know they had any, is it new ? anyone been

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Yeah I was there a few weeks ago - it was nice and we were very lucky to get a table on a Saturday - we were just passing and saw a few empty tables so said we'd ask. Had eggs benedict - it was tasty but I don't think anywhere will ever match Liberty Grill for eggs bene!

Thanks, is it at the back - struggling to think where they could have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

No on Pembroke street where the entrance is; think they have outdoor seating in the smoking area of crane lane too.

Ah that would make sense as the photo I saw was off the street, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

We had some small plates there a few weeks ago.

Especially liked The grilled watermelon and halloumi. And I'm not a watermelon lover normally.

• Advertisement

Take away from Thali this eve - delicious - the real deal - got a mixed curry - with butterflied whole prawns - they wer massive and so succulent - nan was lovely too - will definitely get food from here again

Advertisement