Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

In my day the older generation all thought the youth were amazing. They were like "The great thing about young people these days is that they work hard and stick to something once they start". Pretty sure this is the first time in history actually where older people see young people as lazy, feckless layabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,528 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So you still think young people leaving is a new phenomenon due to covid.

Gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

You might give a flavour of what they said.

in any case i doubt what they said is as much of an embarassment as the incompetence of what our esteemed authorities -Two Governments, Department of Health, HSE, NPHET and the accompanying spoofers and experts - have said, mismanaged and mishandled from the very start of this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

We gave them nothing and now they want more of it, the entitled little bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The majority of young people put their lives on hold for a virus that poses a relatively low risk to them for the benefit of older people, but it's the young people that are entitled. Brilliant logic there lads.

• Advertisement

Just to make it clear that my post above was 100% sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭airy fairy

They're not willing to stick it out.

Wait their turn to be vaccinated.

Numbers have soared in their age group, quite obvious they couldn't wait a bit longer, see it to the end.

The elderly are the people who have suffered most in this, a very limited time span left for them and it wasted away in isolation. At least the youth can make up for it, and rebuild. An 80 year old can rebuild very little and has little time left.

Nobody wants to stick it out

Every age group has been impatient to get vaccinated. The young have had to wait longest.

What end? Where's the end? The actual definite end?

There's an argument to be made for every generation having suffered most. Each has had their own difficulties in this. Sacrificing your youth is not insignificant.

They haven't had to wait the longest. They were less at risk so less risk is at the end of the queue. Your solution? Let the elderly and vulnerable die?

Yes, sacrificing youth is important, but sacrificing elderly life is worse.

Each stage in our lives has been affected, not one child or elderly person or anyone in between hasn't been affected. . It's not a competition. But risk factors had to be considered. The youth are being ask to wait a matter of weeks now. Vaccines are flying into them. Hopefully it'll be worth it. And knowing that some did their bit will be the makings of them, while some fecked off cause it was easier. I know who I'd want looking after me in my old age, and it won't be the one that couldn't hack it.

No worries. Instead of going round in circles we'll agree to very much disagree.

• Advertisement

I do in my circle anyway.

I have other children and have never seen this number of their pals leaving in one go.

I was served a cup of tea two days ago by a beautiful young man, he said he wanted to be in Canada by christmas, he spoke of covid and what its done to his life, he will be an asset to Canada, my daughter and her friends are all graduates with 2.1 or first class honours degrees.

Why would they stay here, refused entry to cafes because older double vaccinated people dont want them beside them. Constant worry that because of our abysmal health service we could be placed in lockdown all winter. cant move out of home because rents are so high, no talk of return to work so looking at prospect of being under parents roof all day.

I am happy my child has a choice to go, it will benefit her hugely snd do her mental health good to live a young persons life again.

And, no, she is not entitled, she worked all through college, achieved a first class honours degree, she is fabulous as are all her friends, they are all just fed up with non stop covid, its been going on for a almost a tenth of their lives now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

They haven't had to wait the longest.

They were less at risk so less risk is at the end of the queue.

You literally just contradicted yourself in the first line of your post.

The young have been at the end of the queue ergo they have waited the longest. And make no mistake, a year of youth is worth much more than a year in your 80s or 90s, absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Sydney are now redirecting pfizer vaccines to teenagers finishing secondary education.

Seems a very sensible thing to do if your aim is to stop covid spreading.

We showed no such agility here and now covid is widespread due to in no small part to teenagers doing what teenagers do.

Of course a year when you are eighteen is worth more than a year of a life lived past life expectancy.

And of course when you are young and see the absolute nonsense that has gone on over indoor dining tis summer, the pathetic lack of political leadership showing, the very real fear that if this couldnt even be managed in the middle of July what hope have we in November.

Its no wonder the best and brightest of ours will leave, there is so little here for them now and the way they were treated, eg being run off the streets of their own city for daring to meet their friends outdoors, all this heavy handed stuff has repercussions and we will see if when we havent enough teachers, nurses, physiotherapists, business graduates, we only have ourselves to blame.

The youth were still out and about, mask free etc while the elderly were locked inside last year I recall ....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It's funny the thinking that this is a new phenomenon.

I graduated 6 years ago and of the 70 odd that were in the class I think at a push there's 20 left in Ireland. Everyone else was gone long before covid

Kids have been leaving the country since the year dot. I wouldn't expect it any other way...but to blame it on Covid?

Is good results in college relevant?are you saying those who don't get good results or don't get to college not allowed travel? What have results got to do with leaving the country??

So because your daughter got good results she's ENTITLED to leave the country? Who cares? I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Hang on - a year of your remaining life is worth more when you have sixty of them than when you have five?

Also, they haven't LOST a year of their youth - it's just been different.

The youth had no school from March till June last year, those in Third level finished up in March too and they never got back to college at all.

Many young people were in their bedrooms studying for their leaving cert, had no work at all last summer, couldnt go abroad and then spent their entire first year in Third level in their bedrooms too.

Its still not clear will Third level students return this year, I know plenty who will defer and leave to rather than go into their third year of college isolated at home.

We have done untold damage to our young to ensure that those in their eighties and nineties live a few more months. We have rising suicides, huge numbers with eating disorders, controlling what you eat is a reaction to losing control over all other aspects of your life.

We have no mental health services at all so help consists of being handed anti depressants at eighteen years of age and younger.

Who would begrudge young people a chance at a better life elsewhere.

There is nothing new about the working from home middle aged men on Boards.ie not giving one solitary **** about the youth of Ireland, that attitude has been prevalent throughout this entire pandemic.

• Advertisement

Of course its more important.

And its now eighteen months of their life and they still cant go indoors in a pub.

They still cant go to night clubs, they cant go abroad so missed out on interailing, J1 Visas, internships abroad.

Everytime another variant appears RTE will ramp up the fear and NEPHET will urge caution, it could be five years before normality returns and if some double vaccinated elderly people have their way we will never return to the life we had in 2019.

We will never return to any sort of normality either until the health service is reformed and robust enough to deal with increased numbers needing hospital care, for example this practice of people occuping hospital beds all weekend because there is no one to discharge them, this is still going on even while while we are in a hurricane of Delta.!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

"untold damage to our young.."

I think the cries of "doom-mongering" may need to be redirected..

I think you need to read up a bit on the restrictions that are abroad before making a wild statement that Ireland is the only one under restrictions.

You've to be 18 to drink alcohol here, as far as I'm aware, vaccines are available from 16+ now....so what's stopping them going inside to a pub after they're vaccinated? They're well able to remain outside pubs and drink alchol at the moment anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I remember someone last year with a very similar posting style talking about how the human race was going to die off because we would never have a vaccine, and restrictions meant that young people would be deprived of all social contact and therefore that was the end for us all. And here we are with multiple very effective vaccines and life beginning to (slowly) return to normal.

This thing is a pain in the arse for everyone, and particularly young people, but it's a once in a hundred year pandemic and we could do with less over-the-top stuff. It'll be something to tell their kids and grand-kids about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I'm still so confused to why they picked dining for separation of vaccinated and non-vaccinated people.

I'm confused, what can other workplaces do regarding vaccinated and non-vaccinated people and their staff.

I think someone tried to answer my question a few weeks ago that it's because face masks aren't worn in restaurants. But what about work canteens where all the staff are mixing, both vaccinated and non-vaccinated and all that seems to be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭User1998

Numbers have ‘soared’ in their age group because the virus has no one else to infect due to vaccination.

The elderly have not suffered the most, the majority of them have been sat on their couch watching RTE all day for the past 10 years anyway, little has changed for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Yes obviously - ask any 80 year old if they would rather an extra year of youth or an extra year at 80 - everyone would say a year being young.

Youth is precious and fleeting - you should be allowed make the most of it. An extra year at age 80 or 90 stuck in a nursing home isnt worth much

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thebronze14

I keep saying this...What is the end point here in Ireland? It's never been discussed. In a month or two every adult will be vaccinated in Ireland yet events are still being cancelled. They will point to kids being vaccinated then for herd immunity. But sure then we will need to reel in the boosters for the vulnerable so how can you open up society when the vulnerable aren't safe and when it's coming it to respiratory illness season....It's a never-ending cycle of bullshit here

What about all the job losses in the 80+ age bracket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

If you're 34 and followed the official vaccine rollout (no luck on finding a GP that will vaccinate you, or stumble upon a pharmacy with a J&J dose) you literally can't be considered fully vaccinated before the 31 of July. And this is assuming you somehow got an appointment right the day the portal opened (the 7th of July), got pfizer (so you only need to wait 7 days after the second dose) and got the appointment for the second dose as soon as possible (17 days). That's what stopping them.

Of course this is the best case scenario, for most under 34 it will be at least the beginning of September instead.

Advertisement