Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,814 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

not being able to clip out bits of people replies so you can reply to specific points is awful.

I have seen a number of replies where a poster has copied & pasted the relevant part of a message then just replied to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 40,865 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If private forums like Soccer are going to remain as 'Groups', can the layout at least be aligned to the rest of the site? They look terrible with avatars and what not taking up space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Where is the search bar that was at the top of the screen? That function is what I used the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Why do we still not have the "delete post" option, or even blank post prevention?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

can you not block people anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭noplacehere

@Boards.ie: Niamh What is the activity? Some of them seem to read like private messages that have absolutely nothing to do with me

Also I'm convinced when you clicked a link on the old site it opened in a new tab, now it opens in the same tab??

• Advertisement

Seems to be public profile comments. People can click message on a profile or leave a comment.

I could follow clock the follow button on the top left of a forum yesterday but no option to do this today anymore?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,229 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There's an ignore list. Click your avatar - edit profile - and it should be there on the right.

Direct link here: https://www.boards.ie/profile/ignore

ok, add that to the list of unfunctions messes then. What a faff, why can't i click a user like i used to? why hasn't it saved my ignore list?

/sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

if you click on a user name it brings you to their profile. there is a dropdown option on the top right to ignore that user. This is on desktop.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Same procedure on mobile too, though the drop down is under the user icon in their profile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

@Boards.ie: Odhran

1. What is your honest assessment of the changeover so far?

2. Who has failed here, Vanilla, Boards Staff or Boards leadership?

3. Was this amount of site disruption forecast? If not, why not? If yes, why go live?

4. Knowing the full extent of the technical issues and the level of Boards capabilities to remedy them. Is there a realistic timeline to have both versions of the site operational to a similar level prior to the upgrade? Are we talking a number of days, weeks or months before the user base have no issues?

5. This changeover has been worse than Jaws 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

still no way to "follow" a forum on the desktop site - surely this can be fixed quicker, it's there on the mobile site

It's actually there but boards.ie have hidden it for some reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It's literally one CSS rule that needs to be removed (posted below). It should take about 5 seconds, particularly when one of the reasons given for the migration was to make it easier to do tech updates, but 2 weeks later, we're still missing a fundamental part of the UI on desktop, despite the fix being trivial.

TBF, I can't say I really blame the dev, or really anything that's happened post-migration. There's 50 fundamental things still broken or missing, and trying to prioritise and manage something like that on a production environment is an absolute nightmare. The vast majority of the blame for the migration goes to whoever made the decision to proceed with the migration without doing any kind of UAT. It's quite clear that no-one who actually looked at the new platform prior to the migration was a regular user of Boards.

The really "amazing" thing is that this was all incredibly easy to predict. Why? Because it all played out before about 5 years ago, except it was handled far better. Prior to the launch of the original responsive site, they invited a group of users to partake in a beta test of it, with the intention of capturing many of the exact things we're talking about now. If it had been done properly, it could have actually resulted in the responsive site going ahead and replacing the old site as planned. Instead they screwed it up and forgot to actually tell the developers about all the feedback that was given, launched the buggy, not-fit-for-purpose beta, and it was almost as much a train-wreck as this. With one vital difference - the main site was kept live in parallel, so they had the option of dropping the new one, which of course is what eventually happened.

Instead of taking on board any of the lessons that could have been learned from the last attempt, they somehow managed to unlearn the stuff that had been previously known, like doing a beta test, or having a rollback plan. Unfortunately, those mistakes are likely to result in the long-term death of Boards. Even if they could fix the glaring issues in the next two or three weeks (spoiler: they can't), the damage has already been done. You only have to take a look at any of the forums outside the top 5 or so, posts and engagement have dropped off an absolute cliff-edge. The site will trundle on, traffic becoming ever more centralised in a handful of forums, but Boards was effectively done as a relevant platform the day the decision was made to push ahead with the migration. Everything since then is just rearranging deck-shairs on the Titanic

.Frame-content .HomepageTitle {
     display:none!important
    }

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

that categories link at the top of the desktop site just leads to a "we're having problems" page

it was there yesterday or the day before, I signed up to a couple of the forum i used to follow. Wasnt on mobile cos I wont use that at the moment as its hopeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

How the hell do I turn off notifications for this thread? I've unbookmarked it but alas no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The constant notifications are a bug that are on the list of things to be sorted ...

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

I can't get to grips on this new site build at all, mostly browse 2 or 3 times a day on smartphone.

Its impossible to browse as I did before, feels messy and no fluidity.

Hope they revert back to old way otherwise I will just stay with reddit all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

this is because you haven't "followed" any forums, because your old followed forums weren't migrated and it's currently impossible to follow forums on the Desktop site.

To get rid of the error, log into the mobile site, follow a few forums and they'll appear in that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

follow a few forums? Or bookmark a few threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I’m sure this has been mentioned before but couldn’t we have My Thread, My Forums, etc under the view button here? Currently it’s just all and my following (I think) I clicked on following and nothing is showin.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yes, well selecting "following" from the view option will show you threads from the forums you're following = "my forums" of old I guess. But, at the moment the only way to follow forums is through the mobile site.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

At least it's good to know richersounds are still going strong. 😁

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement