Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The NMH at St. Vincents

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

None of the above are maternity hospitals, so (as long as euthanasia remains illegal) there is little or no scope for conflict with "catholic social teaching". And Tallaght has specific guarantees over governance, coming from the Adelaide's protestant heritage.

Maternity hospitals are of course very different in this regard. There is direct and irreconcilable conflict between what range of treatments and procedures are legal, and what is permitted by catholic doctrine.

So you're only worried about ownership and large sums of taxpayer's money when it comes to maternity hospitals? That's.... odd.

But let's look at the maternity hospitals. Of the 3 in Dublin, exactly none are owned by the State. And all three receive large amounts of money to provide services on the State's behalf. I'm sure if I looked, I'd find all three have had expansions funded by the state.

Yet the only maternity hospital that people are exercised about is the one that won't be open for another six years. Why is that?
    https://www.stvincents.ie/app/uploads/2019/12/St.-Vincents-Healthcare-Group-Annual-Report-2018.pdf

The State will own the building for the new facility and will lease the land from St. Vincent’s Healthcare Group. The new facility will be independently managed and governed by the National Maternity Hospital at Elm Park DAC. Clinical and corporate governance will be integrated with St. Vincent’s Healthcare Group.

It's the "clinical governance" people are worried about.

Also it's rather a shame this link is 404:

Download our information sheet on St. Vincent’s Holdings CLG and the National Maternity Hospital at Elm Park DAC

I take it that this means we can now put the "ownership" argument behind us at least.

The integration of clinical governance is one of the advantages of co-location. It means the hospitals can act as one service. The current and most recent master of the current NMH have said they have no issue with the proposed new clinical governance structures. What's more the Chair of the Hospital Group has already said the hospital will provide services in accordance with law.

It's fair to ask questions about the governance structures, but those questions have been answered.

BTW, that 404 didn't have anything new in it, so you're not missing much.
    It's not just about abortion. What is the NMH's current position on contraception? Pretty sure you can't get a sterilisation there.

It may not be about just abortion, but that's a very good measure to determine whether religious thinking is influencing the operation of our hospitals.

And if a hospital doesn't provide contraception or sterilisation services, but does provide abortion services, then it's fair to say that the decision on the services they provide isn't based on religious ethos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Has anyone seen, heard or read an article from TheJournal.ie concerning the new NMH deal and the Nuns. I read an article posted on another site concerning the above but can't find it listed on the journals site. The Journal's report referred to a mortgage of the present public hospital to BOI in 2010 and clause 5.11 of the new NMH constitution giving its directors power to "acquire, hold, sell, manage, lease, mortgage or dispose of all or any part of the property of the company".

The company referred to is the new NMH company set up in 2016. I am not sure if the 2010 BOI mortgage would give the BOI pre-existing rights over any properties listed within the new NMH property list, which is why I am asking my question from the start.

One important point is this from the other site's post which IS NOT PART of the reported TheJournal.ie report mentioned on the other site.. The hospitals are governed by the Order’s 2010 ‘Health Service Philosophy and Ethical Code’ and do not provide contraception, sterilisation, IVF, abortion and other procedures, legal in Ireland but prohibited by Catholic teaching.

Edit: Dr Peter Boylan wrote a letter publicized in the Irish Indo a few days ago covering his views on a statement from SVU on medical procedures carried out in the hospital in line with the laws of the land will be carried out in the new NMH and free of any religious influence The Indo has firewalled its publication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭horse7

Is there some conspiracy concerning Blanchardstown hospital and co-location. It was not considered suitable when the children's hospital was to be built,it is not considered suitable for the maternity hospital that is to be built, it's located in the most suitable access area off the M50, it's located in the area with the highest birthrate. What is going on???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭karlitob

horse7 wrote: »
    Is there some conspiracy concerning Blanchardstown hospital and co-location. It was not considered suitable when the children's hospital was to be built,it is not considered suitable for the maternity hospital that is to be built, it's located in the most suitable access area off the M50, it's located in the area with the highest birthrate. What is going on???

Simply - it’s a small hospital. No conspiracy - it’s not at the cutting edge of clinical in ireland. It’s a Model 3 hospital with no specialities to speak of.

Co-location with a tertiary adult hospital is the recommended approach for both paediatrics and obstetrics. Connolly doesn’t cut it.

horse7 wrote: »

All three maternity hospitals are to be relocated, and Connolly has already been selected as the site for the Rotunda.

But as karlitob says, it's only a Model 3 hospital at the moment, and will need significant investment and upgrades before it's a suitable site.

That's why it wasn't selected for the Children's Hospital. While the space was acknowledged as the key plus for the site, it would take too long and too much money to bring it up to the necessary standard for a national children's service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

They've a mass grave in Tuam and likely elsewhere. Certainly in Canada. Yet we let these people operate in the country and even get preferential treatment.
    The country is still very backward.
    They should have all assets seized, redress to the victims and then left to religion* all they like.

*verb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Rome has been screwing the state for decades in terms of negotiations. FF/Woods' sweet indemnity deal in 2002 being the latest example.

https://twitter.com/SocDems/status/1407638150449709066

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

FF/Woods' sweet indemnity deal in 2002

the Paedophile Bailout

The greatest scandal in modern Irish history

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭karlitob

NuMarvel wrote: »
    All three maternity hospitals are to be relocated, and Connolly has already been selected as the site for the Rotunda.

Correct - I had forgotten about that. Thanks for reminding me.

That said - there’s some part of me thinks it just won’t happen. I don’t know why; no evidence to back it up - but the docs in the rotunda LOVE the rotunda. They love the history, they love that it’s the oldest maternity hospital in the world. I can’t see them wanting to leave the city centre to go out to blanch. I’m probably wrong though!

• Advertisement

We can always blow up the fcuking ugly Garden of licking the catholic church's hole Remembrance and let them expand into there :)

Scrap the cap!

karlitob wrote: »
    Correct - I had forgotten about that. Thanks for reminding me.

That said - there’s some part of me thinks it just won’t happen. I don’t know why; no evidence to back it up - but the docs in the rotunda LOVE the rotunda. They love the history, they love that it’s the oldest maternity hospital in the world. I can’t see them wanting to leave the city centre to go out to blanch. I’m probably wrong though!

Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope you're wrong ;). Management and senior clinicians in the Rotunda have been sounding the alarm about safety issues in the current building for the last few years, eg https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-warned-of-urgent-need-to-address-rotunda-overcrowding-1.4459572 and https://www.thejournal.ie/rotunda-hospital-safety-crisis-warning-premature-babies-4683131-Jun2019/. They need to move, but it's still some considerable time away.

And given Ireland's poor track record in delivering infrastructure quickly, that's likely a long time away indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Niorin O'Sullivan appointed to the board of the National Maternity Hospital. Golden circle is alive and well. How can she be appointed to a board of anything in this country after her controversial stint as Garda Commissioner.

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1236685/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

36 years in the Garda, which over the time she worked her way to the top job and held it for 3 years. Why wouldn't she be added to the board? she has vast experience from her time in Garda

Are you on a wind up or something? She was caught up in controversary after controversary in the Garda including trying to destroy a whistleblower, sat beside Callinan as he called Whisteblower scumbags and that is before we get to the funds in Templemore. No way should a controversial figure such as her be appointed to any board in this country. You may be happy to turn a blind eye to this but it is not acceptable, I am sure there are better less controversial figures that could have been appointed.

• Advertisement

Establishment circling the wagons.

I'd say she likes a good long mass.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

She's also not very good at minding her phones, especially when they are needed for an investigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This is Ireland, we do things differently here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Are you on a windup or something?

"Former garda commissioner Nóirín O’Sullivan has been exonerated of mistreating garda whistleblower Maurice McCabe and of helping to orchestrate a smear campaign against him."

Noirin O'Sullivan was exonerated by a Tribunal yet anonymous internet posters continue to smear her.

She'll be no use to any whistleblower. She'll be losing mobile phones and laptops.

They may as well put her in charge of investigating the mother and baby homes cover up.

• Advertisement

Just another smear of a woman who was vindicated by a Tribunal.

She was cleared on what she was accused of. Nothing more, nothing less. Like Frances Fitzgerald and Bertie Ahern.

You don't know the definition of 'smear'. I'm posing an opinion based on her time overseeing the Garda. I'm guessing the talent pool was suffering a drought. We don't know why she was awarded that position.

Stop making things up. You weren't posting an opinion based on her time overseeing the Garda, you clearly referenced the whistleblower issue, the one she was completely exonerated for. Not only did you post a smear, but then tried to pretend you didn't.

IMO, she was poor at her job and giving her the benefit of the doubt regarding her part in turning a blind eye to McCabe's treatment, made a balls of her involvement in the whistleblower process and following investigation.

Not everyone on the internet will share your opinions. That doesn't make them liars and there's no need to make false claim either. It's nice to be nice.

Well, your opinion differs to the factual findings of the tribunal which exonerated her. You are of course entitled to your opinion but that doesn't mean your opinion is not a smear.

It doesn't. My opinion doesn't dispute the findings. You seem confused as to what the tribunal was investigating. She wasn't exonerated on being shite at her job.

So "shite at her job" she was appointed "United Nations Assistant General Secretary for Safety and Security", it would seem a few people would disagree with your opinion.

I can handle that 😎

Maybe they've lower standards.

Yes, but that is not what you originally raised on this thread - that was a smear. I acknowledge that you have changed your position on this in subsequent posts so we will leave it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Quid pro quo for stepping aside. This is how it works.

• Advertisement

Yep as we see with Zappone appointment now as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

What should the board makeup of a hospital be? I would have assumed some people with actual medical experience would be important to have any context of the problems and available tools in a medical environment? I am not so sure how doctors would operate under a police like management structure. Many of them are clinical researchers and teaching physicians and would have the ability to move easily to other high paying jobs and internationally, too much stick and little carrot won't work for them. Completely different resources to the gardai. I guess you also need a good accountant and a politician.

A huge part of a hospital in security do you not think? keeping patients safe in the hospital. Keeping staff safe. Keeping visitors safe etc etc etc. Stopping drugs getting robbed. Fairly critical IMO

I would also hope her links with the Garda/FBI/UCD etc would help with Cyber Security for the hospital.

https://www.ucdbusinesschallenge.ie/contributor/noirin-o-sullivan

Nóirín is a graduate of the Federal Bureau of Investigation FBI National Executive Institute. She holds a Master of Business Studies MBS in Strategic management and Planning, from the Michael Smurfit School of Business, University College Dublin. She is the recipient of numerous awards, including an Honorary Doctorate of Laws (LLD) from the University of Ulster for distinguished Public Service. 

Nóirín is a Board Member on the North American Advisory Board for the UCD College of Business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The current 26 member board of the NMH has 8 doctors. The rest are a mixture of legal or accountancy backgrounds, people who haveexperience managing large organisations, political appointees and, of course, a priest.

Sure, i guess it depends how big the board is. I am sure her organisational skills are very good and org analysis. The security is a thing, I dont know how important it is relative to the quality of care provided provided, it's not as important obviously. An awful lot goes into quality of care.

What happens when someone walks in and take a baby? Security is critical to a hospital

Cyber Security as the HSE are finding out is also critical.

Yeah 1 out of 28 seems reasonable. I didn't know the board was so big. I had been thinking a group of 6 or 7 with reporting senior managers.

This is the problem I find on boards and most social media, people fly off the handle and then when they actually look into it they can see it is fairly reasonable. Like or loathe Noirin but she has a very impressive CV

There may be some misunderstanding about the role of the board. the Board do not run the hospital. The only meet once a month. They oversee the running of the hospital and take care of legal issues and hospital strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Leading an organisation of 15,000 people is also going to be a relevant skill.

I've not repeated myself and certainly not retracted anything.

All I did there is accept the people who hired her may have had a different view to mine.

Is there something "fly off the handle" about my original post. I believe I even began asking the questions of what should be on a board. I have since learned that there are 26 members and 8 are medical. I didn't even mention anything negative about Noirin, I merely posited that medical staff are different than gardai.

"What should the board makeup of a hospital be? I would have assumed some people with actual medical experience would be important to have any context of the problems and available tools in a medical environment? I am not so sure how doctors would operate under a police like management structure. Many of them are clinical researchers and teaching physicians and would have the ability to move easily to other high paying jobs and internationally, too much stick and little carrot won't work for them. Completely different resources to the gardai. I guess you also need a good accountant and a politician."

she would be 1 person amongst many on the board. There would be no "Police like management structure" just because she sits on the board.

It still counts as experience, though I would have thought it would disqualify her on competency. Though those who rise to such ranks tend to get many bites at the cherry.

My point is more that a board of entirely doctors, for example, would be incredibly poorly formed. It is about bringing in a range of expertise and the expertise of leading such a diverse agency, in both members and targets, as the Gardai would be relevant.

• Advertisement

Leading it very poorly tbh... I did get a chuckle from the notion that Noirin would be chasing down baby-snatchers with baton drawn, or tapping away at a keyboard tracking down a Russian cybercriminal gang... sheesh! 🤣

Scrap the cap!

Yeah, I would suggest her policing experience is about the least relevant part of things to be honest.

Not a choice I would have made ultimately. But there is a logic to it, and competence in previous roles seems less important than experience on boards in general for reasons I don't really get.

It's called "failing upwards" or, at least, sideways...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Noreen O'Sullivan is an excellent choice if you want dishonest board members who are incompetent and good at smear campaigns. I suppose the other board members will get any penalty points quashed too?

Only in Ireland would this nonsense be accepted.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I see in the headlines of the London Times Irish edition that the HSE has stopped the building work on the new NMH at St Vincent's on the basis that it is unhappy with the governance rules of SVH group owners of the site. The paper is pay-for-view locked and the 3 main Irish papers don't seem to have run a similar story so I can't confirm the LT report. There's nothing mentioned by RTE yet either. I saw this news on the Dun Laoghaire Together for Choice and Equality F/B page

• Advertisement
Advertisement