Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

There will be no "herd immunity" from the virus either. Vaccinated people can contract and spread it also, even with 100% vaccination coverage the virus will still be doing the rounds, albeit in smaller numbers.

And a vaccine resistant variant is inevitable - there is no way the virus will be eradicated, and mass vaccinations of all (incl young & healthy) puts greater evolutionary pressure on the virus to evade vaccines. We have never vaccinated away an RNA virus before, and we won't start with SARS-COV-2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Yes, we'd all prefer an extra year of youth. I'm suggesting that 20% of one's remaining life might be more precious than 2%. But it's obviously a false equivalence anyway - not being allowed go to the pub in certain circumstances and having to postpone your travel abroad is only "sacrificing a year of your life" if one is prone to wild exaggeration and self-pity.

But that opinion could just be born of me having suffered untold damage by not having had a summer in the US when I was younger, of course.

I'm not denying that the gov't have messed up in many respects and that covid has been a bit **** for everyone to varying degrees, but you'd swear some people had spent their last year learning to play themselves sad songs on a tiny violin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Are you suggesting no end and we should stay in lockdown and restrictions? Lol

Can you post the evidence for your statement above regarding a vaccine resistant variant is coming? Actual experts ( not the usual random boards experts talking shyte) seem to think otherwise.

Its not the missing the summer travelling, its the total isolation the young have endured and there is no end to it all.

You make friends for life in university and this is particularly important for young people who have been unhappy in school. Its the friendship group that is most important in times of mental health difficulties for young people and many parents are now trying to access mental help care for their young and its simply not there. There are are about four inpatient adult beds for people suffering with life threatening eating disorders so if you dont have private health cover you are on your own. Theere has been a huge increase in eating disorders but obviously not much sympathy here either for these people, sure, why cant they show a bit of grit and get on with it, they have never had it so good.

Covid is endemic now so we need to stop counting case numbers and just relay hospital information.

We are being kept in the dark about hospital numbers, so much so that the Deputy Leader has gone public saying the Government wants detailed data, in what other context does the Government with legions of civil servants available make statements regarding lack of information, its not as if Leo has to make a freedom of information request to get this information, he or Stephen Donnolly can ring their senior advisors, one is on over 200,000 euros a year and just demand this information. Its quite obvious that people presenting with other issues are being counted as hospitalised covid cases, do we in the height of the flu season test people for flu and if they have no symtoms count them as hospitalised with flu.

It seems about fifty per cent of the people in ICU with covid have been there for months, this means we need only to count new admissions to ICU if we want to assess the Delta effect.

We are being told there is a hurricane of delta cases to come and thousands of people will be infected and hundreds admitted to hospital, when is this to start happening.

This is exactly it.

And then have had their lives, have their families, their houses, their free travel, a completely normal life and if very elderly have been lucky to survive to their late eighties.

And now when they want to toddle down to the local for a carvery lunch after being top pf the queue to be vaccinated they are objecting to young unvaccinated people being indoors with them.

We were told not so long ago that covid passports would only be used for travel and ordered to the conspiracy forum if anyone dared to say you would need papers to enter Mc Donalds and yet here we are.

• Advertisement

Except for the ones that died, ended up in hospital, lost friends and loved ones, and couldn't actually see their loved ones at all, of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It was considered but we've got through the age groups a lot faster and it was deemed of no benefit to switch to the youngest age group.

Of course good results in college are relevant, these are the brightest and best and the ones who have to work their socks off to pay taxes to fund the social housing for those leaving school with no qualifications.

If you dont get a good degree from college your options are limited,education opens doors and other countries do not want young people who will be a drain on their finances, we will be left with this cohort.

Everyone is entitled to leave the country if another country is welcoming to them.

You dont need a cystal ball to see the state this country will be in in a couple of years, construction closed down for months while we have a housing shortage.

Highest rate of obesity in the EU and we close down outdoor sports for months.

At least Boris to be fair is grasping the issue of obesity and its relevance to bad covid outcomes,here its never even mentioned, instead lock down all healthy outdoor pursuits and cause despair in those who love their sport, easier than telling every GP to identify their obese patients and tell them to stop eating crap and get off the sofa.

I am 35 now but between the age of 18 - 22, I met my wife, my best friends to this day, traveled quite by a bit and got the qualifications that have me in the career I am in now. I can't say how things would have worked out for me if I was forced to put my life on hold for 2 of those years.

Forcing people to put their lives on hold for 2 years will obviously alter the course of lots of peoples lives.

But more will leave, or should leave, this time round.

• Advertisement

Arah now. It's a degree from an Irish college - not a Nobel Prize. You put in your time and you get your degree. Especially during Covid when they were even more lenient than usual. The joys of the education bubble and having to keep the university vending machine making bank.

Agree on the outdoor sports thing though - nearby pitches still had their goals blocked up until quite recently.. Understandable in the early stages, but now ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Basic immunology - also highlighted by UK's SAGE in recent meetings.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/sage-93-minutes-coronavirus-covid-19-response-7-july-2021/sage-93-minutes-coronavirus-covid-19-response-7-july-2021

The combination of high prevalence and high levels of vaccination creates the conditions in which an immune escape variant is most likely to emerge.

No I don't suggest we stay in lockdown forever. The vaccines work to protect you - so if you are at risk, get vaccinated. But beyond that, we should not push for 100% vaccination as a requirement to get back to normal, it wont make a difference. Once the vulnerable are vaccinated, open up. If anyone feels unsafe, then get a vaccine. But dont hold on for herd immunity - it isnt coming.

Yes, people are just assuming that normal life will resume, but there has been no statement to that effect.

From September with as many vaccinated as want to, we should see indicators. There are already some signs that the linking of case numbers and hospitalisations has been broken. Once it is fully, we should be ready for a more normal life. Boosters will come into play but are likely to be targeted. Talk already of the HSE wanting to administer a combined flu/COVID shot to nursing homes and other more high risk areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Its very hard to see how it will. It looks like we will have fairly high community circulation of delta until schools reopen and then we may have to contend with waning immunity from the vaccine amongst those who truly need protection as we are now seeing in Israel.

The gov won’t want to get rid of vaccine certs for indoor dining as they may be required to for booster take up. I can see vaccine certs becoming the norm for the medium to long term. It’s cheap enough to maintain and self policed essentially. Whether they are rolled out to shops etc remains to be seen.

Delta has changed everything unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Ah yes good auld sage, are they not the zero crowd?

most scientists agree with this:

also if this particular virus mutates too much it will render it useless.

There is no evidence to suggest it’s “ inevitable “ either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Although the persons that would require a booster shot if needed would in essence take it no matter what without incentives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Well if it was any other time, most people would tell you to go to conspiracy section at best, but given measures used so far it's not a giant leap.

As look were already taking boosters prob 2-3 years in advance without any debate, most countries already order till 2023, so idea that ppl will be required some sort of cert to access basic services isn't even far stretched.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭User1998

Is that specific to the elderly tho? Lots of young people have lost love ones throughout this pandemic. Young people couldn’t see their loved ones too. Thats not specific to just the elderly.

Elderly people being admitted to hospital and dying of a virul infection is nothing new. Thats been happening since the dawn of time.

What hasn’t been happening since the dawn of time is young healthy people being locked up in their homes to protect ‘de vulnerable’

I think if we don't then we can safely assume that the measures will never be lifted. Masks is the big one for me. I don't know whether they'll ever go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@User1998 wrote

What hasn’t been happening since the dawn of time is young healthy people being locked up in their homes to protect ‘de vulnerable’

It also hasn't happened in this pandemic, at least not in Ireland.

I don't see those passports ever going. It's not realistic to believe they'll be scrapped in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I think this all boils down to ones own definition of normality.

I think a majority of the public feel that mandatory face masks and proof of vaccination to enter a pub is relative normality so where’s the pressure on decision makers to abandon those measures? All bets are off IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

So how many have died with COVID in July then does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Short of actually locking/welding your front door yes, it happened. People seems to have forgot that for a lot of time it was illegal to leave your house unless you had an essential reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,799 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Probably asked a zillion times but whats the wait time between getting the covid test to getting the test results?

On transport and in winter I reckon they may still be around but if it becomes a low level annual respiratory disease we shouldn't see it at any other times.

I do seem to have forgotten that lengthy period.. Can you point out when that was "legally" the case, whatever about being enforced?

• Advertisement

Advertisement