Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

He can, they just need a vaccine or to have had covid already.

This is true, but months ago there was no delta, months ago we did not have to react to circumstances in other countries. It's hard to plan months in advance for this as it is so volatile a situation.

Irish people seem to like someone to blame for things, not so much solutions, but to blame.

People also don't like random occurrences without meaning or reason. This is a **** situation that no one is really responsible for, we're all fed up with this and I feel we want someone to blame, so we blame the government, we blame health care officials. We're sick of this **** random thing that happened and we want to blame someone. The government didn't ask for covid, they didn't ask for fewer vaccines, they don't want lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You actually waited a month for that?

Fair play, you've more time than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

I have been listening to Mark Cagney (and Pat Kenny) since the 1970's. Both are of an age and somewhat obsessive about Covid.

Mark Cagney has also had a brush with serious illness so I imagine that has shaken his confidence in his health. i would his comment with a pinch of salt.

If he was interested in my opinion (I'm sure he isn't), i would suggest he might relax more if he stayed at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

"Irish people" are not a hivemind with one shared opinion.

Plenty of "irish people" however, do demand some degree of competency in their elected officials (and unelected officials)

The governments f*ck ups over the course of the pandemic are too many to list in one post. If you think they are undeserving of any criticisms, you must be part of the Strategic Communications Unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Is a global pandemic worse than a regular pandemic? Are you suggesting that the OP might think its only a pandemic rather than a far more scary global variant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

But they did decide on the response based on "the biggest hurricane this country has ever seen" coming in terms of deaths, hospital numbers, case numbers etc based on "sobering projections" from the experts.

Hows that going?

They did decide to reference "look at Scotland" and their case numbers as evidence for their response, again, hows that going? 60% drop in case numbers in 2 weeks with far less restrictions is how its going.

England, basket cases with their freedom day, going to be a war zone thats going to affect us, 40% drop in case numbers in a week

So weeks later when the numbers arent stacking up they are changing course i presume based on all this stuff they ddint ask for but have now had time to look at in our own country and the countries referenced previously.

I mean you study these things, study them and adapt so we must be looking at things again?right? Hows that going????

I dont blame them for COVID, but i do blame them for their response and their cowardice in being unwilling to govern the country preferring to hand over leadership to others and when in the face of "numbers as predicted" not stacking up still do nothing.

And then Government announced we were doing a deal to get a million vaccines from Romania, hand clapping all round, ye are playing a stormer lads.

Then it turns out there was no deal done snd any vaccines Romania offloads will be centrally redistributed throughout the EU.

The role of the media needs to be examined when this is over, the people have been badly let down by whats supposed to be an independent press.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

nope. only open indoors for vaccinated people..

so not fully opened as we had back last july

lets call it a qualified opening

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I thought the reason for not reporting the death figures was due to the figures no being available due to the HSE hack. I'm sure Dr Tony is saving them up though for when we may let our guard down and he can scare the bejaysus out of people again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Don't forget it's a newstalk ruse where 2 presenters take extreme opposite sides of the argument then they throw it out you the listener's at 30c a text 🙄 to let them know if you agree or disagree 😏

I was, and am, extremely troubled that RTÉ's on-screen channel identifier during the pandemic was changed to incorporate Government slogans.

It was completely inappropriate and shouldn't have been done. RTÉ really needs to commission an inquiry about its behaviour over the last year or so. If you look at the new cases reports, it's almost always "there are 144 people in hospital, an increase of 2, and 8 people in intensive care", or "there are 144 people in hospital, and 8 people in intensive care, an increase of one". Decreases are not deemed worthy of being reported.

Yesterday, infections in England reduced for the seventh consecutive day following the abolition of most remaining restrictions. This was broadly welcomed, and is being widely viewed as an early sign that the vaccination campaign is beginning to bring an end to the epidemic there. RTÉ's homepage headline reporting this overwhelmingly positive news was "UK Covid-19 deaths hit highest level since March".

There was no institutional attempt from RTÉ at any point during the pandemic to even make a token gesture at having any sort of discussion or critical analysis into the Government's decision-making. There still is no institutional interest on RTÉ's part in any questioning of NPHET and its behaviour and competence. About that most challenging question RTÉ has asked Tony Holohan since March 2020 has been "Have you a message for the nation, Dr. Tony?".

RTÉ let itself and its editorial and journalistic standards down during the course of the pandemic. Worse, it let the people of Ireland down.

And dont forget the going away party in RTE Montrose.

How is the Garda enquiry into this going, it must surely be complete by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

To be fair to Tony Holohan he was actually quite positive today in terms of reviewing and further easing restrictions in a few weeks, he seems not to have briefed his assistant Micheal Martin who said no further reviews for 6 weeks yesterday.

So a bit of positivity is always nice, im sure this will be headline news when it comes to COVID today😉

No, I just found this thread today, it is interesting, we're pulling apart the government for what they said a month ago or 2 or three when things are changing so fast.

I was merely pointing out some of the posts here, the predictions were off the mark too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

LOL Absolutely brilliant. 😂

Pretty much how Iv believed things to work for a long time now. The media, for all of their puffed up self importance sometimes, will report anything if you have the contacts and know how to work the angles to create a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 teabag1993

Seeing a good amount of people making the case for England and their fall in numbers recently, great news if it truly represents a fall in the amount of positive cases, but something we should keep in mind is that people are avoiding taking tests in the wake of the 'pingdemic'- God I hate that word

Also saw a report recently which said UK workers are being told to immediately self-isolate if they think they have it instead of taking a test- might be a contributor?

Knowing that Johnson's cabinet aren't renowned for their honesty, is it possible that there is an effort to reduce numbers so they can avoid the gnawing possibility of having to introduce another lockdown? Not that it should affect the Tories' poll numbers in any way

All of the above are just things I've noticed, I really do hope that things are getting better there. Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You found this thread today and decided to read all 200 odd pages, then bring up old posts from before the board migration from conversations that you weren't originally a part off?

Sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Anybody been in the pubs yet? Is the indoor thing actually being enforced? Or just a dog and pony show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭mollser

I was going to ask this - quick trip to dundrum at lunch would seem that NONE of the businesses have opened for indoor dining - certainly brambles and McDonalds were operating outdoor / takeaway only. The pub there didn't seem to be open at all, didn't look accross the way to the other restaurants.

Was really hoping to take the kids to Eddie Rockets, but they still seem to be only doing takeaway only - all the websites / social media are very quiet on this. Other than a few pubs, it doesn't seem to have been embraced at all. In truth I suspect it's do with lack of staff, so it's taking time to ramp up to it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yep i was in one last night and they checked certs against the website

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I dont think that was Tony Holohan today - It was a clone with different mindset.

I was in shock today after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭aziz

Where’s the real Tony and what have they done with him

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So what if they avoid taking a test!? The only thing that will matter is if these people end up needing hospital care. Very few will choose to avoid hospital care where needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Why what did he say ? I’ve long stopped watching the briefings because they were never really good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 teabag1993

That actually leads on to a point I forgot to mention, hospitalisations in England are rising and have been rising steadily.

Deaths are still low though thankfully, it would seem that the majority of people over there becoming infected are younger

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭growleaves

There seems to be a buried assumption in a lot of places that anyone who has taken a vaccine automatically agrees with the 'internal passport' scheme.

Surely this is not the case?

Total-surveillance is an issue in its own right. I don't want to be presenting QR codes and identification documents for everything I do, everywhere I go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭aziz

Some thing along the lines of making recommendations to the government for further relaxations of restrictions and we can be out of this sooner than we think

yeah,I know,bizarre

Advertisement