Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Digital/paper! Certs, the Megathread - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

You don't need to activate the COVID tracker app as a tracker to hold the cert btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

got my cert a few weeks back ... then an email on monday to say the DOB on it was in the wrong format .. as in MM/DD/YYYY as opposed to DD/MM/YYYY. so obviously just an error from a mass upload with the date format. Got a new one almost immediately after that email with a totally different DOB ... making me about 17 year older and months and dates totally wrong.

Don't have the patience or will power to call an over subscribed helpline .. i'm not travelling anywhere anytime soon ... is there an email address or somewhere else I can have this corrected?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭lalipule

It would make perfect sense to do it for people with errors on already issued certificate. Like they did for people recovered from Covid. It would decrease the amount of calls. There would be the matter for those who didn’t receive it yet to allow at least a search option to see if the record exists if not then back to the source where the vaccination was given. But from what I’m reading and talking to people those vaccinated by GPs, pharmacies and hospitals seem to have the biggest problem with getting the cert. Some were lucky to receive, which is great, but for some there is no one to turn to.

Who is the data owner in this solution?

HSE, DOH?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

Every booking.com or airline reservation or travel document has always elided the apostrophe in my surname. Credit card and bank cards too. I've never thought twice about it and never had anyone moan about it. I'd say whatever system your name went through initially chopped off the apostrophes on the given name but I see that all the time. Sure the mygov.ie or mywelfare.ie etc sites do that.

There's a standard mechanism for converting a "given name" to a "standardised name" stored on the machine readable section of your passport (the bit with all the <<<<< symbols). If your surname was O'Connor, the passport would have OCONNOR. Something like "Gößinger" would turn into "GOESSINGER".

It's the same for the Covid Cert. The bit that's printed out on the cert is the given name but both given and standardised are stored on the QR code.

I'm inclined to say that its more important that the machine standard names match. Besides, if I wanted to get really pedantic, my covid cert is headed "Republic of Ireland" when it should be just "Ireland" 😉

Edit: I lie - my credit/bank cards and driving licence etc all have the apostrophe. Really old bank cards didn't but then someone copped on somewhere. Still, I doubt it's important.

Post edited by carveone on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

Ouch! This image from the Irish Times just screams "we botched the character encoding". Probably UTF-8 input got converted to god knows what (probably Windows-1252) when it was stored in a database. I wonder how many of these there are and whether the QR code is encoded correctly. Shows the importance of unit testing with actual Irish names rather than "Joe Bloggs" !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 LeCelso

The PPS number, mobile phone number, email address should be enough to at least get a search returning your records

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

That’s good to know thanks. We all have to turn the tracker off during work hours so everyone just deleted the app in the end. I might just download it again and add my cert to it once it get my hands on it.

(Paper cert is at home in Ireland, I’m in Spain for a month)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Pat_bottom

Thank you.. I'm tending to agree with you myself and as you say the name is the same it just, doesn't have the capital letter after the space.

Shall find out next Friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Still no cert having had my second shot in early June, bit annoying. Seems like ringing the helpline is a waste of time. Got the vaccine from my GP which apparently is slower than getting it through a vaccine centre but seems excessive now all the same. Wife has been vaccinated since much earlier in the year and got hers I think on the day the certs started going out.

My father got vaccinated with the GP and got his cert pretty a few days later. I wonder if it's the specific GP and administration?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

"We are sorry that many of our residents who received their Digital COVID Certificates through the post were disappointed to find that the síneadh fadas in their name and/or address had been misprinted.

This was unfortunately due to an error in our print preparation process, which has since been resolved.

We have identified people whom we believe were affected by this error and reissued your certificates automatically.

We appreciate that some of you may use the fada in every day correspondence but not on your passport name. If you are concerned about this and would prefer an exact match, a portal facility will be available later this week to facilitate a resolution.

Please do not contact the service desk unless your travel is imminent."

It's definitely a printer character set issue, rather than a database or data entry one.

The names show correctly when the cert is displayed on an app on the phone, so they're encoded correctly into the QR code.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

No sign of a cert. 2nd dose was over 6 months ago.

I simply don't have the time or opportunity because of work to be sitting on a phoneline for hours on end with no idea of the wait time or if I'll get through at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The GP I go to still does everything on paper so god knows how they get the details to the DoH or Revenue or whoever it is, so could be that alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭sue97

I rang 3 times and was knocked off after hours on hold each time. The system is not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

Fully vax since Feb. Cannot be on the phone after 9am due to work so my only hope is getting one of the lucky first answers at 8:30. After trying unsuccessfully every morning, yesterday I decided to call with 4 phones, starting at 8:28. I had my suspicions from reading online that calls are not answered in order. I got through at 8:32 on the 4th phone I called on. Proved my point that the calls are not exactly answered in order, which is incredibly unfair and illogical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

I've got a question, I got my cert through the post, so I was wondering can you laminate it? otherwise, I'm gonna have to make that call and the horror stories of waiting several hours on hold with that hold music.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Folks, I have a question. I got my digital vaccine cert via email today. On my passport, my name is listed as "Kevin Collins". On my covid pass, my name is listed as "Kevin Michael Collins" (it includes my middle name). Is this ok for travel? I read somewhere both names have to be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

I do and i tried. for some reason it ain't working.

• Advertisement

I managed to get through helpline today after 1 hour. My details were not in the system but very nice lady took my vaccination details. Got reference number, which I need to use to send email. Just want to check with people who did that is it dccdocs@health.gov.ie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭blackwhite

That's what I was given - DCCDocs@health.gov.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Did you scan it with the Covid app, you literally point the phone at the QR code with the app open and it imports it.

You can't just add it with your phone QR scanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Are you saying you would ring the helpline to ask if you can laminate the cert?

Thank you blackwhite for confirmation. I was given 5 days as the waiting time. Out of curiosity did you receive your certificate already?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Spoke to them 6 days ago, and emailed in the info that afternoon. Nothing yet

Will try calling tomorrow morning if nothing by then

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

It's fit for the purpose the government and NPHET want, to make it hard for people to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭frecklier

Do you have the COVID App? Can scan it to that.

Ugh, it does not feel me with confidence. I got no confirmation email that my details were received. It's like all was sent into a black hole.

I wonder if this is a backlog with data entry or there is another process after that, which is a bottleneck in this whole process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

I called the helpline last week and after 5 hours holding was eventually answered. I sorted out myself and my husbands details, apparently we were on covax system but not on HSE system, both vaccinated through our GP back in April/May. I was told it was sorted and to wait 5 working days for the cert. Lo and behold my husbands cert (who hasn't done a tap in this matter, I may add) arrived in the post yesterday. Still no sign of mine.

I'm on hold at the moment to the helpline and just wondering if I am waisting my time, has anyone else gone over the 5 working days after speaking with a operator? Maybe I should hang up and just wait another few days.

Advertisement