Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasp Nest in Garden - DIY job or hire the experts?

Options
  • 27-07-2021 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

We have a wasp nest in the ground in our back garden.

Well, I'm assuming its in the ground. I can't see the actual hole but they're all heading to a gap in the foliage of an overgrown plant.

It's in an area that our dog likes to frequent.

She's just past the puppy stage but she still sometimes does her poo in the flowerbed.

So, I know we have to get rid of it as I imagine she could disturb them and suffer the retribution.

I've never experienced this issue before.

August is approaching and I'm aware this is a particularly unpleasant time of year where wasps are concerned.

The experts on youtube say that I need to hire a professional.

But they would! Otherwise they'd go bust!

So, my question is - Do I have to call in a professional or do I just need to be able to run very fast?

I'm guessing I need to call a professional.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Tails142

I would just bate it with a stick a couple of times and run into the house. I remember as a kid a friend trod on one in overgrowth by accident and they swarmed and stung him pretty bad before we realised what was happening.

I think you can get smoke bombs or heavy weight sprays that shoot a thick liquid a long distance which might be an option, these contain insecticide obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Are you totally sure they are wasps, and not bumble bees?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

Yes, it's too dark to get a photo now but I can take one tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I haven't see a wasp yet this year. Are they usually later?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

If you can see the nest or the exact spot they are entering the nest in, then your probably ok to get the powder stuff, just make sure to read the directions with regard to pet safety.

If you can't see the nest/entrance to the nest then get the professionals out. We have a nest in the ditch beside the shed. We can see the runway through the foliage into the ditch but not the nest itself. We got the professionals out Monday to deal with it. They couldn't see/get into where the nest was so spread some of the powder, but also set some sort of trap/dome for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Once you locate the nest spray it with a small drop of petrol. DO NOT LIGHT THE PETROL. The fumes will drive the wasps away.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

How close to the house are they?

Are they actually threatening to over run the house or are you overthinking the threat?

You describe the nest as being in an overgrown plant. Do you have seating down there? Can you block off the dog's access and just leave them at it?

If they aren't beside the house, most likely you will only have the odd one getting inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

+1 for leaving them be if it is at all possible. Wasps play a role in the pollination of flowers and food crops which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

We had a nest in the overhang roof part of the garden shed, near the door, so had buzzing insects every time we needed to use the shed. We got professionals and they had it sorted in no time, we just had to avoid the area for a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

That is fair enough - if the nest is in a spot you use regularly then you need to get rid.

We regularly have them in the garden, easy enough to avoid for a while. Just interested in the OP's case if it is near the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

If it's a threat or a danger to kids or animals then deal with it. If not then leave it be.

I had a nest in the garden wall where the kids had a swing so had to deal with it. I used the powder to do it.

It's like talc and sticks to their bodies and spreads as the wasps move through the nest.

Shoot a good burst of it into the nest and run. The go back about 10 mins later and do another burst of it.

They should all be dead in the morning.

Spray the powder at night or dusk when the wasps should be in the nest. There won't be too many in the nest during the day so it will be a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭thehairygrape

Get a professional in to move it. We did this a few years ago. Can’t remember price or person but was well worth it to remove all hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

bringing back memories of whacking one with a stick and running like f**

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Definitely leave them unless they are a direct hazard. Wasps will generally leave you alone unless they are disturbed. Might be a slight pest in the autumn when they are looking for sugar but not that big a deal.

Can you temporarily fence off the area? Wouldn't need to be anything heavy, just something to keep the dog/kids out of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eldudeson

If it is a hole in the ground, remember it mightn't be the only entrance/exit. If you go the route of the nest powder and putting netting over the hole, be prepared for some vengeance coming out another location.

The nest is about 6/7m from the house so it's a bit too close for comfort.

Ah here, there are a number of factors that are making me lean towards calling the pros:

Our dog is often in that area.

Someone just mentioned the possibility of a different exit hole.

I'm not even remotely fit so if it's a race between me and a gang of angry wasps, the outcome does not look favourable for me!

I often wondered what purpose they (along with mosquitoes) served in the ecosystem, other than to scare the bejaysus out of us.

Last night that I learned that they are pollinators and while I'm a firm supporter of bees and butterflies, it's a different story when it comes to wasps.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Dose it with the powder after dark and leave it alone. Had a wasps nest under the tiles of an elderly persons house and it was gone in a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Sporay the powder on or near it. They will be gone tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Wasp to be sure. They are just beginning. Leave it alone and it will get bigger. If it survives winter you'd be as well moving house.

I like the petrol idea, but I would be in favour of lighting it too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Ant Powder will do the job as the Wasp specific Powder. It's usually better value.

Either powder needs to be spread where the wasps are walking into the nest. They will then carry some with them into the nest and help spread the powder exactly where it's required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Lamar Davis

My sis recently had a wasp nest in the air vent child's room she used spray/powder which did the trick,worry is will they return next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Wasps are an essential part of the ecosystem. When I put a shed roof on years ago, there were hundreds if not thousands of wasps all around me, and on the roof itself, devouring green aphids, there wasn't enough wasps to deal with the aphids, they weren't in the least bit concerned about me.

I would suggest leaving them alone as they are an essential part of nature, and just steer clear/cordon off the section so you puppy cant get access for the month or 2 thats in it and be cautious around the end of the summer, they usually move on and don't stay and that has been my understanding. If you leave them be, they will leave you alone also. They are as critical as Bees imo, Ive started thinking of planting beneficial plants (even plants I intend to sacrifice in lieu of others) for butterflies or more to the point for caterpillars, as I rarely see butterflies compared to when I was young, likewise to encourage solitary wasps. I did have to use some spray on some black aphids as they were killing stuff off, Id have been delighted for some wasps, but I don't know if they deal with black aphids (green one yes).

I'd only deal with them or get the professionals in if they were in the house, and even then, If they weren't getting into the rest of the house I'd consider leaving them.

On a seperate point, my son asked me why mosquitos exist and even why we dont get rid of them, while my answer was most likely we couldn't achieve that, we may not know fully what their role in the ecosystem is, and killing them off completely if it was possible might unleash something worse on us, not necessarily an insect or creature, but they have their part in the ecosystem, removing them may cuase something else to proliferate or something advantageous to die off. Similar interference in ecosystems have had horrific consequences.

I dont think I really like mosquitos, but I dont think they should be taken out, possibly managed. Wasps on the other hand, definitely have a more obvious, beneficial known and understood place in the ecosystem. I'm not much of a gardener, but I'd think they are a gardeners friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If it's in a hole you can't exactly locate you can literally flood the area by leaving a Hose running on it for a few hours

Update:

I called a local pest control company at lunchtime.

A man came this evening equipped with the appropriate equipment and protective clothing

He observed the activity above ground and estimated that there are currently about 200/300 wasps in the nest.

He said that, if left untreated, there could be 2000/3000 wasps there by the end of August.

He pumped (for want of a better word) powder into the hole.

(The kids were expecting him to have to run away but that didn't happen).

When he came back inside, he said there are currently about 50/60 very confused wasps just outside the nest.

He said we may still notice some activity there later as more arrive back to the nest but there should be no activity tomorrow.

Job done.

For those of you interested in the cost, it was €110. Probably a lot more than a DIY powder job but less expensive than the cost associated with the heart attack I'd have while trying to escape after a half-assed attempt to treat them myself.

The pest control guy spent a while explaining their setup which is fairly impressive.

Still, while I'm all for the bees and butterflies and actively encourage them in my garden by planting flowers they like, I'll never be a wasp supporter.

Thanks for all of your tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭bmc58

Most Irish Bumble bees are solitary.They do't build nests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭bmc58

A bit of a rag doused with a good sup petrol,pushed into the hole and set alight will soon sort that nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

currently have a wasps nest behind the front fascia board, they're getting through a tiny gap

is removing the fascia board the only way to get at them effectively?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

They do, but that's still 6 months of misery waiting for the young to hatch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

No, you should be able to spread/spray the entrance hole with the powder and they will then bring it into the nest.

We had a nest in the wall of the shed a couple years ago and they were getting in a hole the landlord had drilled for the door bolt. We got professionals out at the time because we were renting and thats all they did. AFAIK if you can see the nest and/or a specific entrance that the powder does the job. We have a wasps nest at the moment in the ditch beside the house. We could see the runway in through the shrubs, but not the nest. So we got the professionals out again and this time they set a trap/dome thingy as the main way to get rid of them.

Advertisement