Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Would it not stand to reason that replacing like with like would work? Or possibly a mixture of 320/319?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Like for like certainly seems sensible and was definitely the preferred fleet replacement strategy post-financial crisis but more recently we’ve seen Aer Lingus face increased pressure from European carriers. The likes of Lufthansa, KLM and Swiss have gained ground in markets that Aer Lingus was once either the solo carrier or previously dominant in. Ryanair has also ventured into more major airports which further puts the squeeze on Aer Lingus in areas where they previously faced no competition.

The A320ceo is a fine aircraft but with an increasing number of more efficient replacements on offer and many now operated by rivals, and the one size fits all strategy Aer Lingus has relied on for the past 20 years showing signs of weakness, is it still the wisest fleet strategy to take the airline into the next decade?

List prices put the 320 neo family from $90-110m each.

Would there be an argument for a mixed fleet of 319/320 to complement the 321's and maybe even as a dark horse, the A220 for thinner routes like the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well, they have recent experience of the 319 for marginally thinner routes and it didn't really seem to make a difference. Though they continued to operate with four cabin crew.

I think the A319 has had its day, it’s operating costs are so similar to the A320 you may as well stick with the larger model. The order book has dried up in recent years and with the A220 around I doubt we’ll ever see a revival.

The A220 must be of some interest to Aer Lingus, the arguments for and against a new regional sub fleet has been ongoing for a few years now but maybe the post-pandemic recovery will present an opportunity for this to be seriously considered?

The densification of the A320, either through reconfiguring the current fleet or taking A320neos, is inevitable. The current 174 layout is going to look less and less competitive as Ryanair introduces 197 seat 737MAXs and the traditional European flag carriers opt for the 180 layout on the A320neo, like Lufthansa has done. Once this happens, there will be a widened gap between the ATR and the A320, potentially allowing a regional jet to squeeze in at the lower end allowing Aer Lingus to compete head on with the network carriers of Europe (LH, LX, KL) on frequency and stay competitive with Ryanair on the guaranteed bulk routes.

The biggest hurdle will be the costs of a mixed fleet again, would it be worth it? Oh and convincing IAG it’s worth the investment in the first place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭x567

My recollection is that there were three cabin crew on the 319s on the SNN-LHR route? Agree that the 319 isn’t likely to be a part of the future plan however, although I doubt many firm decisions will be taken on fleet planning until the world stabilises a bit more...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was 4 on LGW any time I used it, but that was also in the (dying) days of the LGW crew base so it could have been a local agreement.

I think the thing we can all agree on (I know, weird) is that whatever short haul fleet renewal comes, it will be Airbus.

The only thing I would ask and I think its a bit of a pipe dream, what about the MOI for 200 737Max?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

A319 in EI config was 3 cabin crew minimum, certainly was 3 when I travelled.

The A321 NEO on European operations in morning will add capacity and add a product no other carrier can compete with

Operating cost wise A220 is the best option, A319 costs are the same as A320 basically, the opposite side is the costs to run A321 are marginally more than the A320

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

As above the 319 was planned with 3CC, you could have flown during a training flight.

EI ditched the 319 because of the limited MTOW, their use was marginal and it made more sense at the time to have higher capacity aircraft on the majority of the routes it serviced.

LAX will fly SNN-NOC departing at 12:00 midday tomorrow, hopefully a video will be caught of her last departure and arrival into Knock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

EI-LAX (EIN990) in the air now, Shannon to Knock. Last flight at 22 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Here is EI LAX in knock

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

Does anybody think that there could be an exhibition or museum that could house LAX?

I'm thinking of what BA did to it's three retro 747-400s, and also the Qantas Museum in Longreach which houses a plethora of vintage propliner and jet aircraft including an airworthy Lockheed L-1049 Constellation, a 707-138B (QF's first 707 and indeed it's first jet), a 747-238B and QF's first 747-438 VH-OJA. John Travolta's 707-138B is also set to join the museum next year.

Or would any potential museums such as the Smithsonian take her?

Such a sad end to LAX's illustrious career..

I'm thankful I flew on her a few times to L.A, but I always have an affinity for her.

The very first -200 for EI and it paved the way for EI to launch a highly successful route to LAX, in that a second -200 was acquired a year later (2000) to operate weekly flights to LAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭john boye

It's also the last A330 named after an airport (unless you count DAA).

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭orionm_73

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭john boye

I meant the last remaining one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I still feel there was a trick missed by not naming EI-FNJ after something related to FNJ airport.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

-LAX will live on supplying parts to other 330's and obviously is more valuable broken up than trying to sell it to someone.

Others would have a lot more knowledge than me but I thought there would have been a market for a dedicated cargo aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

Indeed I thought the same considering there are some vintage almost 40 year old 767-200s flying cargo that would be prime candidates in being replaced by younger 767s (which would be mostly -300s) and A332s/333s.

LAX was always immaculately maintained and in excellent condition, so I am somewhat disappointed she is being scrapped!

EWR is still languishing in the Arizona desert.

Will she be converted into a freighter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Can’t believe EI don’t have at least one dedicated cargo craft

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Emerald will probably lease same or similar ATRs, rehire Stobarts crew and likely start ops earlier with Aer Lingus helping them out by freezing the franchise fee. EI mainline will phase out operating the former Stobart routes until Emerald are ready.

New EIR franchise launched in time for aviation to pick up and work can restart on making Dublin a Transatlantic hub.

Good to have Emerald confirmed. I think the timeline is sensible and in line with what is realistically possible.

Rushing a new airline into service is never a good idea and while there is an urgency to reclaim lost market share on regional routes, so long as Aer Lingus can keep a foothold in those markets with daily A320s, it keeps them in play and allows an easier transfer to Emerald when they’re ready.

Anyone know why there’s two flights to Boston flights departing within a few minutes of each other today? EI133 was quickly followed by EI137, both operated by A321LR aircraft.

Extra demand? Two flights are scheduled within minutes of each other over the weekend as well. The 330 is due back on BOS from mid Aug as well. This was the case last time i checked the EI website

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Cargo market was saturated pre-covid, and will be again when all the pax widebodies are back in service.

I would have thought sending a single A330 would be more cost effective. Maybe the lower wide body crew availability suggested in the IAG H1 results is a factor.

Crew training, 2 captains on the 133.

Post edited by California Dreamer on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Lads looking for some info rebooked the holiday we were due to go on last year for later on this year, I still have about €50 on the voucher that was issued.

So my questions are can the remaining balance be used against another flight, And is there on board services (Food&Drinks etc) I know last year on the EI APP it had no in-flight service on Euro flights but I cannot see anything about it now.

Advertisement