Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monocular for elderly father

Options
  • 28-07-2021 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I couldn't find anywhere better.

My dad's in his late 70s and loves watching birds and boats/ships with his binoculars. He's said recently that he's starting to find it much easier to see when he closes one eye and was thinking of getting a monocular for convenience.

His current binoculars are 10x50.

I was gonna surprise him with a set but I really don't have a clue what I'm looking for, or at.

Any recommendations on what to buy or even what to look out for?

Budget of maybe €60/70 but could go a bit higher if it was well spent. Preferably from someone in Ireland but don't mind using something like amazon if its better value.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Have you checked them yourself? Has he adjusted the dioptre after focussing with the non-adjustable side?

Don't know about monoculars, sorry. 😟

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭.red.

I haven't checked them but he has them years and knows more about adjusting them than me.

It's more to do with his sight I think.

He's only using one side anyway so the monocular makes more sense as they're lighter and more practical/comfortable for him.

I just don't know what to buy and have nowhere near by to even have a look.

Post edited by .red. on

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Massive Berevement

Hopefully this advise it still relevant for you, I'm only just after seeing this thread, but I got a 10x36 Monocular from a company called Askco and I bought it off the AliExpress website. Its 18 euro at the moment and honestly you would not believe what you are getting for the price. I own some expensive binouculars aswell so I have a frame of reference to go by. Very decent for the money.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32883683194.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Is a monocular different from a telescope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭.red.

Thanks for the reply, I've only just seen it now.

I ended up getting him one from Amazon for about €45. No clue about the brand or specs but the reviews were decent.

He's used it plenty and seems happy enough with it anyway thankfully

It's basically like a set of binoculars, but only one side, or like a mini telescope even

• Advertisement
Advertisement