Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The cynic in me says they held them back because there weren't enough deaths to keep stirring up Project Fear from NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I assume since this is the alleged thread of the 'loopers' and 'conspiracy theorists' you're just trying to fit right in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Schools finished up last week, meaning the twice weekly testing of all school children finished too. In fairness to Boris, that was a good move. Hopefully all this stupidity will finish soon but have to admit worried about what will happen over winter.

Covid19 is more transmissible in cold and dry conditions and it seems that the vaccine wears off over time. Death by a thousand cuts. Time to move on IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Rules help control the fun

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Nine Covid deaths since last Wednesday as far as I know, and from what I heard from him today it does not seem so.He sounded quite positive to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,259 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tbh I only took the vaccine because of the EU cert

Yeah big change today with Dr Tony been positive. Remember a few months ago he was talking about Electric Picnic been able to take place etc. He's fickle so no doubt he will be back with his negativity soon enough

Vaccine rollout is going great, a lot better than I expected. If only we could of got more of a J&J supply

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What restrictions do you think Tony will relax?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭aziz

He will relax all restrictions on pubs,no passes needed,sit at the bar,live music,look for a price reduction on drink and extend opening hours,maybe even going for 24 hour drinking

sorry ,I was dreaming,what was the question again

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Stupidly got into a spat with some anti vaxxers on Reddit, they ended up banning me from the group and discussion.

Honestly some of the nonsense being spouted was mind blowing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I'd avoid reddit. It seems to be just 18 year olds who can't engage in discussion, trying to make one off, killer points in search of up votes. My limited experience with Reddit came from limited use to be fair but critical thinking is most certainly a trait lacking in a reddit poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 12 teabag1993

The contradiction by these anti-vaxxer types is beyond belief, saw a conspiracy mentioned in a BBC news article- though honestly I don't think these theories should be given any oxygen whatsoever- which tried to say more vaccinated people were dying with Delta than unvaccinated people.

Bring on the vaccine passports I say

Ireland is going to pieces .The sad thing in all of this is society getting divided this is never good. We’d a civil war here before with family fighting against family and neighbour fighting against neigbour ( very dark times which thankfully most or all of us here will be too young to remember ) but who would want that again, absolutely no one, we’ve progressed to be tolerant people or at least thought we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,259 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

we'll be grand

Once more of the population are fully vaccinated and get there EUs. Indoor pints galore

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

NPHET have PR people telling them when to lift the tone. This week there was the pat on the heads for people getting vaccinated. And something something about lifting restrictions but completely vague. They're trying to position themselves as good guys and in couple of weeks time they'll go after the people who are not getting vaccinated.

Strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Allinall

Who are these pr guys?

Haven’t seen sight nor sound of them before.

who’s paying them? Who appointed them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It's tricky though. You can get 70 to 80 vaccinated easily enough but the lower percentiles need to be treated more delicately. They need to be a bit more creative. I was reading today that the travelers were originally offered Jansen or Astra which got Pavee doing their usual shíte and that had the effect of getting travellers to demand Pfizer, two shots boss. You could do similar with other segments of the "hesitant" populations like the work-shy classes by having characters from Eastenders or Love Island get killed off by refusing a vaccine while another gets the ride after a change of heart. The middle-class anti-chemical moms (their word not mine) could be made aware of gluten and chemical free versions of the vaccine or even fair trade versions, grown by orphans who lost their parents in a Chinese Holland and Barrett. You can get the anti-government types of which we have very few here by telling them "No pub for you" - they tend to be full of it.

There are going to be a few mixed messages for sure but you have to remember that mainstream media is there to manipulate the lower percentiles. The upper 80% or so are doing just fine on their own without government intervention. They've figured out that vaccines are preferable to the disease itself. And because antivaxers come in all sorts of classes, 80% of their efforts are going to be focused on that bottom 20% who haven't figured it out yet, as is tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Humour can be light here, but that made me laugh. Even if sadly there is a percentile where those suggestion could actually work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

This would be take on it too. I've never watched a full briefing but between reaction here and news correspondents on twitter I've usually got the jist of their tone and messaging. There haven't been many but occasionally the cmo has been positive going by his standards. Almost to the fact you think actually maybe he is human. Unfortunately everytime within a short time he reverts to his true form and comes out with a lecturing tweet or pontificating sermon at the next briefing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,284 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

How are we getting divided? We haven’t been divided on restrictions throughout the pandemic, the clear majority of the electorate have been in favour at all times.

Now we are not divided on the vaccine, given we’ll have a 90%+ uptake.

So where is the division?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ashdublinc13

What about people that just don't want to take it? They've heard the about the side effects. How will the government 'encourage' this group to take a vaccine?

Facebook and Google reporting employees need to be fully vaccinated against covid 19 to return to the office. Why do employees just need to be vaccinated against covid? What about other vaccines and viruses/ diseases? Does a company have the right to this information? If so, does a company have the right to other medical information? Leaving aside medical information that could impact a job. Thanks. It's probably a silly question

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

You can't they will likely catch it and get immunity that way or have had already had it and not realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

90% uptake of the vaccine does not mean 90% support of restrictions. People got it for the herd, not to access ‘indoor dining’

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Considering the IQs of most anti-vaxxers I highly doubt many are working for those companies, so it's not likely to be much of an issue imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Anyone want to hazard a guess when masks will no longer be needed?

Surely we've reached herd immunity with the reports yesterday of 79% fully vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Who knows?! They seem to be giving with one hand and taking away with the other - quote from Eamonn Ryan this morning: The Cabinet sub-committee on Covid-19 meets on 6 August and again later in the month, when it will begin to set out the processes behind a further easing of measures.

Mr Ryan warned, however, that over the next few weeks people "still need to be very careful with cases rising each day, so it is not a signal that it is all over, it's not".

We are going to ease a lot of the restrictions but IT'S NOT OVER!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

They won't encourage what they will do is remove their freedoms from them and exclude them. They will be treated worse that criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Masks should be made optional now. If people want to wear them go ahead and the same with people who don't want to wear them. It is rediculous that you have to put on a mask going into a garage for less than 2 minutes to pay for petrol but yet can go to the gym for hour or more and not have to wear a mask except when entering or leaving the premises, which is also a bit of a joke as well.

• Advertisement

Advertisement