Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the 1 week downtime & move to vanilla killed this place?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭sergioaguero

no self importance, just a very bad site who id say 95% of users agree with

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can we at least get back the 'drop down' menu please😐️

Depends on who the poster is. If it's someone with a low post count or a relatively recent join date, then, yes, probably nobody cares. There's no shortage of new(ish) users who want to make dramatic exits, and we're all a bit weary of that.

However, if someone like Wibbs or someone we've seen post a lot to threads [with a decent reputation], then, yes, many posters would care. I can think of a dozen or more posters, I'd genuinely be sorry to see leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I see the AH has it's pagination back! yay!

slowly getting better ...

Now how about the all my posts , or find all x users posts ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Yeah lots of heavy users all gone in the last year. No one really made any comment on it. But might because they can no longer find anything, or get notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

For now, use the Comments link in your or the user's Profile.

'Posts' are currently called 'Comments'. ......

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

How do I stop getting notifications from this thread (I posted in it a few days ago) without also stopping notifications from all other threads in which I have posted? I have unclicked the bookmark thing, didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

More like whatkraft did to Cadbury chocolate. Completely destroyed it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Its a sad thing for boards and the community that this upgrade is turning so many members away, the core essence of what boards is

about seems to be dissolving, daily. I came in today for my usual modding fix on Woodcraft, where there was a great thriving bunch of posters,

who have barely posted at all over the last few weeks, I think its two a week this week. And to be honest, I find it so confusing to find it, I am asking myself,

why bother. I bother because I like the forum and those who post their regularly and infrequently, and its nice to be helpful to each other.

But quite frankly I am slowly losing the urge to keep coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Why the hell are my posts being attributed to another mod on woodcraft forum

Crazy stuff going on here...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Complete sh1tshow... I don't know how anyone could look at this platform as an improvement on the previous version. Did anyone review this or look for feedback prior to migration... Its like going back in time 10 years. If the people who run this site wanted to kill it then just turn it off.

I've been here for 15 years on a daily basis but I'm struggling to stay interested in coming here. Without sounding like a total wimp, I'm actually saddened at what the site has been turned into.

Anyway, rant over, back to real world problems like choosing what cheese to put on my burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

"Don't see that anywhere"

Because they're not called comments, they're called bookmarks. Click your profile pic at top right and click Bookmarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I would doubt any poster thinks that boards.ie is better now than before the changeover. It just worked before, it doesn't now, it wasn't an upgrade it was a serious downgrade. It's a real shame as it was a good resource for all kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Not a frequent poster by any mean but definitely checked in on some forums everyday. Weather, bargain alerts, and a few more. Tried to get the hang of the new site within a day of it going live and couldn't... still can't find most of the forums I was interested in. First time in over a week trying again. Definitely won't be checking it a often, they've ruined what used to be such an easy site to navigate and what's with the super white screen???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭kyote00

Still can’t find the soccer forum.

oceans of white space on right hand side

terrible formatting of page numbers and latest post

Wonder if there is some other reason for the ‘upgrade’ — like better ads or easier/better analytics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

If you have to release a user guide for people to use an "upgraded" discussion forum then you have kinda lost the battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Is there away to see who thanks your posts, it's 99% of the reason I post in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I wish the new site could display all the names of active users on a particular forum at the bottom of the page like the old version.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

You post for likes? That’s really sad. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Unless ye revert.

It’s over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well judging by what the Boards CEO said in feedback yesterday the old site cost too much to maintain and Boards couldn't afford it and if it had stayed the site would be shut down. So there's that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

Have you got a link to that @Wibbs? I can't find it (sadly, an all too common problem here at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Having given some time to get used to the new site before concluding my thoughts, It struck me that there was a political appointment during the week which normally would have been several pages long within an hour or so, struggled to reach 10 posts on the day it happened.

It’s quite clear that traffic on the site is way down and seems to me to be getting less as the weeks go by, but only the site owners will know the actual traffic numbers and it’s up to them to decide how much of a reduction, if any, is acceptable.

I’ve noticed myself being online less than before and while I won’t be leaving boards, I can’t see myself going back to the use I had pre-update. The new layout looks like any other generic forum and whatever it was boards had that was different seems to be gone now. Just my 2c.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

In fairness if you type soccer into the search you'd find it in five seconds. Of all the complaints about things here it's a strange one to go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

Thanks for sharing the link Wibbs. That post of Odhran's really should be a sticky though, not buried randomly in the middle of one of the many threads that are going about the site. If Odhran and the other front-facing boards people were better at communicating, they wouldn't be getting the heat they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

What’s the story with drafts auto saving. I begin a lot of posts I forget what was saying; mid sentence and abandon ship how can I disable it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

How do you see the list of posts you have made on your profile?

Advertisement