Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dismissed for COVID mistake

Options

Comments

I cannot believe that anyone is attempting to defend someone for not self-isolating when they had symptoms that could indicate covid.

It's not even for 10 or 14 days anymore - it's until you get a negative test result which takes all of what, 48hrs max?

How hard is it, to wait 48hrs for a negative test result?

If this is the attitude now, then it truly is no wonder we're still getting over a thousand cases a day despite vaccination programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

And this precisely is the point I think. Medical guidelines are not legal obligations. It is not illegal to not self isolate but you should. It is certainly not illegal to stop OUTSIDE and eat having not eaten for over 8 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭GunnerBlue

Doesn’t matter. She’s worked there for less than 12 months so it’s tough luck really. There’s nothing she can do whether you think she’s been hard done by or not.

Great to see people like you displaying empathy and understanding. It is not a made up story and you are being a dick for suggesting so. Please exit the thread if you have nothing to add. I am looking to help 2 20 years not having a black mark on their CV for what seems to be violation of fair procedure.

If the meal is take away and eaten in the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I don’t think you have to have broken the law to be dismissed. Your summary is fairly sketchy, but it does seem harsh to be dismissed. Having said that, the advice to self isolate is pretty clear, and if they displayed symptoms of Covid, not doing so is pretty stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Far West Cork (Agricole) is to Cork City is about 2.5hours on google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

It's none of my employer's business if I stop to eat outside work time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Was it outside work time? It seems they were sent by their employer, I would hope they were being paid during that time.

It is, if you go and tell your employer you stopped to eat on the way home when they already knew you were en-route from a testing centre and supposed to be in self-isolation awaiting the results of a covid test.

You made it their business, and also provided your employer with more proof of your irresponsible attitude towards Covid19. Do you expect them to ignore that?

Nah, I fully support the hotel for putting the safety and health of their other employees and guests first, in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

100% correct.

It is your employer's business, though, if you bring them into disrepute.

"COVID outbreak traced to West Cork hotel; employees flouted COVID guidelines" is not a good look or headline for any business trying to recover from the last 18 months. Going to work with COVID symptoms, then stopping for lunch as opposed to self-isolating while you await your COVID test results is at least two examples of gross misconduct/incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,594 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

You'd have passed at least two walk in test centres along the way, so that story doesn't check out. #

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

It all comes down to her terms and conditions, what is in her contract, specifically regarding Covid.

And if she signed such of course.

If she didn't well the hotel as a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yet another thread where everyone is an expert!

I think the only sensible post here is Niners. I think that was a perfect summary.

then Loueze can’t even read that properly and thinks Niner is trying to defend the OP. Read it again Loueze and tell me where Niner defends the actions of the OP (or their friend). All they did was point out the facts (including the fact the OPs friend made poor decisions) and also the facts that most of the posts here have not actually been in any way factual.

Still , it gives me a good laugh to see how people only see what they want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭KildareP

It's not illegal for me to take sleeping pills, but if I come to work while they're still in my system and I cause an accident in which you get hurt, am I completely off the hook or will you hold me responsible and want to see me reprimanded for that?

Similarly, it's not illegal for me to have the flu nor are there any particular recommendations needed if I do catch it as there is with Covid, but if I work in a nursing home, come to work with the flu and then wipe out one of your family members along with several others, would you want me to carry on working there as normal or would you want to see me sacked or heavily reprimanded and to potentially sue the home for negligence?

Because you don't have to break a specific law to be deemed negligent. Employers, unlike employees, have a direct obligation to prevent the spread of Covid or they face closure. Employees have a direct obligation to co-operate with their employer in so doing and if they blatantly fail to do that, then that's strong grounds for dismissal. There is no excuse for not knowing how to handle a suspected Covid case at this stage.

Well which is it - did they eat outdoors or did they take the meal away and eat it in the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is their hotels in all of these places where people are pulling mad journey times from...

I think maybe if the OP over egged the time just for impact then fair enough it's a classic case of exaggeration just to elongate the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm assuming from the reference to 24 hours for results that, for whatever reason, they were sent to a private rapid PCR place of which there are not many. But the story has so much missing info that its impossible to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

It's a pity the employee was there less than 12 months, they could have gotten a nice lump sum otherwise.

Bullshit made up story.

But if its true, please name the hotel.

Staycationers will be happy to know about places that take Covid precautions seriously.

People do stupid things all the time but it should be a sacking offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭sekiro

Unfortunately it's probably more common that people think.

We had a colleague phone up to ask if he should come in while he had a fever and a cough. No joke. He says he hadn't been tested so doesn't know if it's Covid or not so isn't sure if it's OK to come to work. LOL.

Another colleague came in with symptoms and was sent home. Only after sitting for a good 30 minutes coughing his lungs up. Tested positive. Thankfully nobody else did.

Client who had a positive covid test phoned up to ask if they could come in anyway. Again, what is going on in their brain?

All of these people were young but still.

Person shows up to work with symptoms. Gets sent away and told to get covid test. Decides to go for a bite to eat and then bafflingly tells employer this bit of information. Is then surprised when they got dismissed.

The easy solution here is to realize you have symptoms phone employer and say "I am a bit sick today probably just a cold but I will go and get tested just incase." Then do not contact employer until test result is received. Who the hell is thinking "you know what I'll just go in" and then when obviously sent for a test thinks "you know what else I think I'll go to the testing center furthest away from here and make sure I let everyone know I stopped for food on the way".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭kirving

Maybe it's just me, but I think one of the absolute worst aspects about this site is people's willingness to dive on the slightest aspect of a story and claim it's made up. Why? I have no idea, but it completely ruins any reasonable discussion. One of the only ways that an anonymous internet forum can run at all is if people take things on face value to some extent.

As for the 5hr timing, maybe not entirely accurate - but hardly enough to call BS on the whole thing?

HSE site lists two sites for Cork, one on the north side of the city, which takes 2 hours to get to on public transport from Clonakilty. Caherdaniel is a 1.40hr drive from the only test centre listed in Kerry, in Tralee. There are others I'm sure, but perhaps they were told to go here?

How long did the test take? (For reference, my vaccine took almost 2 hrs, a friend was in and out of the same centre on the same day in 22 minutes.)

Did the employees have cars?

Did they have to wait 30 mins to arrange lift?

Did they have to walk home an hour to get the car because they shouldn't get a lift with symptoms?

Did they recently come to Ireland and aren't familiar with public transport?

Did the hotel arrange the test in a particular centre, while others may have been closer but they went with it as they were told?

Should grabbing a sandwich in a shop count as a sackable offence?

@kirving

Rather than quote your whole post, because I really don't care how far they had to travel for a test, or how long it took to get there and back, but :

Maybe it's just me, but I think one of the absolute worst aspects about this site is people's willingness to dive on the slightest aspect of a story and claim it's made up. Why? I have no idea, but it completely ruins any reasonable discussion. One of the only ways that an anonymous internet forum can run at all is if people take things on face value to some extent.

When a poster starts drip feeding extra information, or trying to make things appear differently along the way then they lose credibility. For example, when the reference to stopping for food:

"Somewhere else. Outdoors. At least 2 metres away from everyone else."

changes to:

"If the meal is take away and eaten in the car?"

That indicates someone who was not giving the whole story from the start, and after that, you can't take anything they say on face value. Or I can't, anyway.

The whole reason given for these staff being sacked is they stopped for food on the way home. If this had been a drive-thru meal eaten in the car, that is a pretty significant detail to omit.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Why are you trying to compare something different to this case?

Your example is nothing like what happened,

Also you are forgetting that the employee was completely irresponsiable for attending work in the first place, they shouldn't have. They should have rang a doctors who would have referred them to a test centre. Attending work with symptoms put others at potential risk.

Even if they moved to the area recently I'm sure they can use the internet to find some doctors numbers, if all else failed they could find the HSE for advice. If they can't do basic stuff like this how can they manage day to day?

Stopping to have food etc when you should have been home self isolating also put people at risk and had the p[otential ot damage the hotels image.

This is basic, basic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Oh I do love these litigation comments on threads like this

There is always someone on a thread who is telling someone else to start suing left right and centre.

Where as in reality it's never as straight forward as the OP likes to describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

2hours 50 mins. Dursey cable car (main land side) to Mitchelstown, with a toll trown in for good measure, by google maps. You could easily push it to 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Oh the point had gone well off topic at that stage, it's just always worth pointing out how big/great Cork is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

delete

You have completely proven my point here.

Not capable of distinguishing from a legal obligation and a health recommendation. Doesn't matter if you agree with it or not, it's not a legal requirement.

The company can send you away from the premises for health and safety reasons, they cannot mandate where you go. So either the staff were on their own time and therefore free to be idiots or they were on company time and legally entitled to a break.

There is nothing in law that allows for bringing your company into disrepute in such a manner either. Didn't matter if it's sensible, they are free to be idiots when not representing the company.

Now, can you quote where I defended the actions? Or would you rather take a deep breath and read posts properly in future?

• Advertisement

@Niner leprauchan

I read your posts perfectly well the first time around, so spare me the condescension.

By not condemning their actions, you are defending them or as good as. I think it was in your first post you suggested they should "go the legal route".

So you can try and play semantics all you like, but it's really not that hard to read between the lines and see your posts for what they are.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement