Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Two good games coming out this week (to put on your wishlist at least) are Trigger Witch and Unbound: Worlds Apart.

Trigger Witch looks like Link to the Past and Enter the Gungeon had a baby. Reviews started popping up this morning and it looks like a cracker. Huge overworld, lots of secrets, dungeons, drop in couch co-op and a nice SNESy art style and great music.

Unbound: Worlds Apart is a puzzle platformer with a gorgeous art style and great music. I'll wait for reviews first, but it looks fantastic. There are gameplay videos on youtube showing the first 20 minutes or so if you want a look. Here is a kickstarter trailer from a few years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's also this gameplay video for a better idea of the moment to moment gameplay. It looks gorgeous, and the gameplay pleasingly boilerplate; though - and maybe this is me -, some of the ambient sound got on my nerves to hear. Such as the run cycle, it had a very repetitive loop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,295 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It took a while, but it's finally happening. I think I'll have to buy that. The link on Shopto doesn't work though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I might buy that alongside a Switch Pro when it comes out. I'd say it would be a great one to show off the higher fidelity screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Two of my favourite games. Played first on switch and second on xbox one x which I got to play the sequel, since they said it wasn't possible on switch. Then, bam, 60 FPS will of the wisps on switch. Have since traded up to series x. Really looking forward to seeing what these guys produce next. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long to see something.

Think it was 15 quid recently on switch. As they say, do not sleep on these games, especially the second one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I played pokemon unite for a few hours last week and it was fun for awhile. Combat is decent and it'll always be fun running around with your favourite pokemon battling other people.

But it does get repetitive and after a few hours it soon became obvious that it's a fairly shallow game, especially when compared to other mobas. In the end, the only reason I found myself wanting to play it was to log in to get the bonuses and currency from playing.

And that's when I stopped, if a game starts to feel like a chore I quit. The game's microtransactions and economy are quite predatory and it's pretty horrible in a game were a large percentage of the playerbase will be children

This is even before I realised that the microtransactions aren't just for cosmetic items, it's a pay to win game. You can buy items and upgrade them with real world money that affect your pokemon's abilities in game.

Plus, you're not even playing against humans all the time, you can be playing against ai bots sometimes, which is never fun in a competitive multiplayer game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Can’t disagree. It’s possible to get to competive power fairly rapidly free to play. The major issue I have is that it’s purposely disingenuous. So the likelyhood of that happening is very low.

It’s purposely designed to encourage incorrect leveling by omitting important information. That’s inexcusable.

They don’t list if moves are sp.atk or atk. The items buff one or the other (for the most part), they have to be upgraded to be useful and give a massive advantage but this is also not explained outright. You need to level them up at least a level to see. Then the cost of leveling them gets increasingly massive, so you can very easily level into the ‘wrong’ item as the information is withheld. Having multiple items on lv 10 or so completely drains the resources you actually need to have invested solely into 3-4 items.

It’s 100% a nasty model and shouldn’t have passed Nintendo, it is and will do a lot of harm to what could have been a massive title for them.

…..

They could have avoided a LOT of the issues if they had:

• Stated and explained which characters/moves did which type of damage.
    • Stated the actual stats of Pokémon not a star system that is useless.
    • Didnt allow item upgrade token purchases for at least season 1. (The amount of tickets received at the end of the season will go a long way to leveling up an item)
    • Implemented a recycling system where you could break down an item for a % of the investment made.

Or even better:

• Don’t have any item that gives a gameplay advantage available for purchase for real money.

The bot matches are an annoyance and shouldn’t be a thing in ranked (they are). I think it’s 4+ losses in a row and it’s possible for a bot match. They are very obvious and not very fun. You literally steamroll them and they quit at 5mins

BUT

Sky: Children of the light, is a lovely little game. Even with its seasons and cosmetic purchases etc. Very chill

Ori: The Collection - Announcement Trailer - Nintendo Switch

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qXs62Wo96yo

Speaking of Pokemon Unite, Jim Sterling has weighed in on it. He's not a fan. WARNING: If you know Jim, you know he swears a lot. I lost count of the F bombs.

Pokémon Unite: Disgusting But Inevitable (The Jimquisition)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ws0DlMvGEbA&pp=sAQA

• Advertisement

Nintendo Switch Has Shipped 89.04 Million Units; Sales to Customers Estimated at 85 Million Units

https://twinfinite.net/2021/08/nintendo-switch-sales-june-2021/

Axiom Verge 2 was delayed to Q3 and we're smack bang in the middle of Q3 right now. There were a few previews in the last week so I think it's very close now.

I also think we're due a Nintendo Direct soon too, pushing Metroid Dread, Sonic Colours, Warioware, Cruis'n Blast, Ni No Kuni 2, Spelunky 1&2 and the OLED.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Must actually finish Axiom Verge one day. The hardened 8 bit style was cute but after a couple hours play, it and the chiptunes gave me a headache. The music especially drove me up the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I actually really enjoyed the Axiom Verge music 🤣 (and the gameplay)

Fair play to THQ Nordic for not being thieves with their port of Darksiders 3 to Switch. It's €40 and includes the “Keepers of the Void” and “The Crucible” DLC. It will be released physically and digitally on 30th September. It originally released back in 2018 on other platforms.

That's fair enough; I just found the intentional ... I dunno, tearing the game used in its music a little grating. Plus after Dandara, it confirmed that I like my Metroidvania's a little less labyrinthine 😁

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, in a galaxy, far, far away, Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga is still MIA.

Rumor: Xenoblade Chronicles 3 on the way, nearing final stages of development, first tidbits

https://nintendoeverything.com/xenoblade-chronicles-3-in-development-monolith-soft/

CRITADEL Announcement Trailer (Nintendo Switch, Steam, Epic)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xJDwXoeN1mk

Axiom Verge 2 is out today.

Axiom Verge 2 Launch Trailer

Looks great.

• Advertisement

Eastward coming September 16; really liking the look of this

Axiom Verge 2 got 9/10 on Nintendo Life and 8.5 on NWR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,364 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Now just need to play the first Axiom Verge, which I think I got free on Epic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A have a physical copy of Axiom Verge, barely scratched the surface though.

So, naturally, I bought the new one!

Spelunky and Spelunky 2 are out on August 26th.

The GTA Remastered Trilogy Appears To Be Real, And Coming To Switch

https://kotaku.com/the-gta-remastered-trilogy-appears-to-be-real-and-comi-1847474620

This isn't the first time I've heard this rumour.

Quake is out now on the eShop.

It's €9.99. "The classic first-person shooter has returned with updated visuals, online local multiplayer and co-op, gyro controls, and more."

Look forward to a presumed Digital Foundry video breaking this down. Played the hell out of quake multiplayer in college back in the day.

In fact, IIRC this very site started as a forum for Quake chatter in Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

When I bought my first pc, back in 96, it was to play Quake.

The first generation of graphics cards were in a rush to support it, and it looked amazing.

I played it to death, found... most of the secrets, certainly finished the main campaign.

Can't wait to play it again

• Advertisement

They've included Quake 64 for free with this release.

It's a lower resolution but the lighting effects are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭_gir

Any thing further on disco Elysium for switch? Read it was planned to come out Summer 2021 but no word or nothing and Summer nearly over

Seems the Doom Slayers collection is real

And supposedly available now. Don't see it on our store yet though

Warioware demo on the eshop now.

Really looking forward to this.

Hope that it's a good one with a good skill and luck/ RNG balance.

Quake on switch getting universal acclaim for the value and options provided.

Crysis 3 running on Switch; it looks pretty amazing all told;

Started playing it again on the Xbox X, very good still, and that's before remastering

I think it's safe to say it exists, it's just when we'll see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

I guess most people have seen it already - but Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga -- coming Spring 2022. 🙄

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1430616420971331591?s=20

• Advertisement

And it's now out, for anyone waiting. Only saw one review which was generally praiseworthy. Certainly looks very charming.

Baldo reviews are slow to come out. It's a 50 hour game and no review codes were given out. I know there are bugs (some game breaking) and there is a big patch due. I'm holding out for a while...

In other news, rumour has it that GB and GBC are going to be added to Nintendo's online service in September. No GBA though...

Hmmm trying to think what beyond the Mario games would be worth playing on the Gameboy again. The colour version might be the smarter choice to play to avoid the eyestrain. Super Mario Land is unfairly thought as the ugly stepchild of the series but it was quite fun (back when I was maybe 10 or so!), so that for a start.

I'd say Donkey Kong (GB), Mole Mania (GB), Balloon Kid (GB), Gargoyles Quest (GB), Castlevania 2 (GB), Mario Golf (GBC), Metroid 2 DX (GBC), Shantae (GBC), Links Awakening DX (GBC), Oracle of Ages/Seasons (GBC)

Oh yeah of course, Links Awakening; forgot about that! Played it so much. Was a bit of a F1 fan back then, so I remember having Nigel Mansell's World Championship. 😀

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hmm, that's an interesting question. The Mario & Wario Land games are worth a look I'd say, along with the Zelda titles (though I expect they'd skip Link's Awakening since they're selling a €50 Switch-native version) and Metroid II: Return of Samus. And Tetris, of course. I haven't mentioned GBC titles aside from the Zelda Oracle games because I didn't have one so don't know what titles were worthwhile.

Beyond that... I have fond memories of Revenge Of The Gator (pinball), whichever Probotector/Contra game it was that came out and switched between side-on and top-down levels, and the Samurai Shodown game where all the characters were chibis (one of the few fighting games I actually got reasonably decent at). No idea if any of these hold up, though.

I do remember that Donkey Kong Land, Pit Fighter and Mortal Kombat are all games which were pretty rubbish.

• Advertisement

Don't forget the upcoming Zelda 35th anniversary Game & Watch. But, I still don't think they'll skip Link's Awakening, it's the best game on the Gameboy. If anything, it'll be used as a hook to try and get people to buy the newer version.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I find it all too easy to forget the G&W, I am entirely lacking in the nostalgia required to see them as appealing ;)

I'd be surprised if LA got foregrounded like that - releasing the GB original as a lure to pay ~€50 for a much fancier presentation of the exact same game seems greedy, even for Nintendo. (I haven't looked at it since playing it when it came out - I vaguely recall enjoying it but not being pushed about replaying it, unlike eg LttP).

I don't agree with Donkey Kong Land being rubbish at all.

I quite enjoyed it, and the sequels, very impressive and fun, much preserved from the SNES titles somehow squeezed into the meagre Gameboy.

Can't wait for that thing, and it seems like it's better featured than the Mario Bros one.

Hopefully too, it'll be more readily hackable than the Mario G&W as well, it'll be cool to get the Oracle titles and Minish cap on there, Links Awakening DX as well, that seems like a real omission on the new handheld

I hear Donkey Kong '94 is meant to be really good

• Advertisement
Advertisement