Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's a mindset that's morbidly fascinating.

When I was younger, I was a bit into Milo Yiannopoulos. I'd watch his videos a lot. I was into the whole men's rights nonsense which was the seeds of what we'd call far right white nationalism. Once Yiannopoulos had started shilling for Trump, I lost interest. However, I do recall a telling post on his Facebook feed. He alleges that he needed to start paying for private security which wasn't cheap. He posted angrily saying that not one of the people following him had bothered to donate and I couldn't help but wonder what was he expecting? It's about nothing more than triggering people for them. Like, if one of the anti-intellectual peddlers of demagoguery goes down, there's a near infinite supply of replacements on hand. The base don't care. They just want triggering and trolling and they'll even vote themselves into penury if it means people they hate suffer.

It's not healthy to be enraged all the time and sadly, that's the whole point of social media for too many people.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You should see the organized madness on the likes of Facebook and LinkedIn about the pubs opening in Ireland in compliance with the digital cert. It's evidently organised probably over telegram or what's app someone on the chat slings in an article or influencer who is posing a middle of the ground factual view and you have dozens of them all pop in commenting within an hour making it seem like a majority view . Then disappear.

Unadulterated selfishness and taking down of others is all its about. But they organise via groups . A theme .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I really don't want to see that. Last weekend, I was going to ease myself back into doing stuff at the weekend with a trip to the National Gallery here in London. Some bad weather put me off and I just wasn't in the mood. Fortunately so as there turned out to be a gathering of human refuse stamping their feet and spewing their bile.

It'll be interesting to see if GB News goes down the conspiracy route. I think they'll have to to keep things interesting for their limited viewer pool. Affiliating with people like Galloway suggest so IMO.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think maybe your back on the weed because all I see is triggered posts. Quite entertaining actually. One amusement is how some people have such a rich vocabulary of insults but I get that comes with lots of practice. Another one is the the display of such strongly held political beliefs that won't ever budge in combination with working backways rhetoric to explain why things are to fit the beliefs that won't budge. All types of ideologues are like that though to be fair. Not so different from your previous I'm so intelligent but those thick people are affecting me point you made some time ago.

Of course the channel isn't about triggering liberals. But it is an added bonus. Not because it annoys them per se, but their reaction to it for all to see. And it's very much to see in this thread. So yea, keep it up. The more controversial the station becomes the more likely it will survive. Bad publicity is better than none as they say. Shout out the The Guardian for playing their part in this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I haven't been off the weed outside early lockdown. But anyway, enjoy your 60m youtube channel and I'll enjoy the laughs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Clarify something for me: how are you defining 'triggered? As in you, personally - not Google or a dictionary?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

It's supporters of GB News that are actually the ones having the laugh.

The desperate, doom-laden predictions that the channel will be deceased in a few short weeks (when it got 4 million TV viewers in its first 28-days); the constant berating of the channel; and the fact that the mere existence of the channel winds them up, is what really produces the most audible laugh. As you say, that's not the raison d'etre of the channel, but it is nonetheless a positive side effect. They'll never admit that the channel winds them up, because that would be to display weakness.

They claim to find the channel humorous, but their posts suggest otherwise: replete with hostility, sarcasm, personal abuse, and vindictiveness.

GB News will continue to grow. And the reaction to it will become all the more "entertaining", as you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So, if its successful, the liberals get angry and the channel wins and if it crashes and burns it was the liberals that were targeted, who got angry and so the channel wins...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

This was your conclusion 10-months before the channel even aired its first broadcast.

Would you like to take the opportunity to take back these comments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Its exactly like the Brexit caller to James O'Brien who highlighted that its not just about Brexit, its also about annoying folks like JOB, which was surprising to hear at first, but once it sinks in it explains an awful lot about the why folks will defend the likes of Trump and Widdecombe, but go out of their way to denounce Rashford and taking the knee etc.

Also Farrage knows how media works, as he said he was looking forward to the haters tuning in, which harkens back to the early days of Howard Stern on radio - they did a study on his listeners and people who liked him, would listen for 30 mins a day (typically their commute), but folks who didn't like him would listen to his entire show (presumably so they could rant about it for the rest of the day).

I must confess I enjoy dipping into Fox news and the likes of Andre Walker (YouTube) from time to time and find it all quite interesting...

They weren't wrong though... They put on extremists. They suspended a guy for taking the knee but are fine with Farage actively opposing it. They're selling one position and it's on the far right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Far-right? Seriously!?

There's nothing fascistic about GB News. This is hyperbole on steroids and a total lack of reasonable perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

How long before the well known mental health advocate Piers appears on this alternative universe tripe. He was flat out this morning audtioning.

He , just Like Nige are huge supporters of the RNLI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

There is impression to give any reasonableand balanced person that GB is any other than fascistic. The whole premise of the station is right whinge hyperbole on steroids with a total lack of reasonable perspective.

I always assumed that was the point of his flounce from GMB but he is a smart guy and I'm sure he is holding off to see what way the station goes over the next while first.

Farage is doing well enough but it has seriously damaged Neil's standing as a credible journalist and Morgan will have noticed that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Pretty much everything he has said in the last few days is hyperbole on steroids to be honest.

Basically had a cut off a large part of society.

Conservatives, the Old, Christians, Mainstream American Right, Anti lockdown protesters etc.

Thats alot of anger for one person to have, its not good.

Just a selection of the rage. Nicholas Cage would be proud.

Conservatism is a worthless and dead ideology

Old people are the most privileged people that have ever existed in society. We've literally crashed the global economy for them and they still insist on voting in trash like Johnson and Trump

Fortunately so as there turned out to be a gathering of human refuse stamping their feet and spewing their bile.

There's no such thing as principled bigotry. If Christians had a shred of principle they'd be consistent but they only perk up when they can inflict suffering on others.

Funny how Christians only seem to care about the parts of their faith that justify their abuse of other people.

It was the mainstream American right who were waving swastikas in January at the Capitol as I recall.

Your last post, however is the pot calling the kettle black on steroids.

It's not healthy to be enraged all the time and sadly, that's the whole point of social media for too many people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

piers doesn't have to worry about his standing as a credible journalist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I suspect Morgan is waiting to see what happens with the NewsUK video news plan - which is no longer for linear broadcast TV as an actual news company is able to realise it can't cover those costs - before going anywhere.

That will actually have some actual news coverage on it but is definitely going to hire some Morgan-like figureheads for "opinion" also.

• Advertisement

Nice to see Tom Harwood skewering the repellent Laurence Fox about vaccines.

Laurence Fox is truly awful. Haven't seen any news channel take apart Fox like this.

Good on Harwood and GB News for exposing him for what he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Laurence wasn't expecting that sort of grilling.

He was entertaining at first and made some good points when he spoke out about woke culture, but he has become a parody of himself since Covid came along.

Telling people not to wear masks, not to social distance, disobey lockdown rules, or avoid vaccination because its some Govt control project is doing him no good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Repellant is a good description of that Fox guy alright

Nigel Farage had his highest ever rated show last night!

It peaked at a whopping 128k views, too.

Tonight's guest on the Talking Pints feature is the hilarious Jim Davidson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Jim Davidson? The comedian Jim Davidson? That well known racist comedian Jim Davidson?

I disagree with your categorization, as usual - completely over the top obsession with -isms and -phobias.

Davidson who once refused to come on stage because the front row were all wheelchair users and wanted them moved?

Davidson who was booted off a celebrity cooking show for repeatedly bullying a gay host and using words like "shirt-lifter"?

Davidson who's famous for penning a sitcom about a washed up racist and bigoted comedian who can't get work that's totally not about himself?

Davidson who's a proponent of the racist "great replacement" theory?

Davidson who cracked jokes on stage about punching his wife around when he was under investigation for battery?

Davidson who used to perform fake a caricature of West Indians with the faux accent and racists stereotypes?

That Jim Davidson, is that who you you're claiming isn't a racist bigot......a man who openly hates Irish folk and anyone browner than his own ruddy alcoholic complexion?

Yeah, he's hilarious alright. About as hilarious as a cactus up your urethra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'd say he's about as familiar with Jim Davidson as he was with Ann Widdecome.

But watch now as he spends the next 5 pages choosing a self described "homophobic arsehole" as the next hill to die on just because they've appeared on his favourite channel.

😆

I don't know why you still bother. There has been so many ridiculous defenses now I actually can't believe he is a serious poster. Defending Widdecombes conversation therapy beliefs was the moment it just turned into parody.

I think he is just saying anything to keep this thread trending because he thinks the "silent majority" watching Boards are all gonna tune in and he can feel like one of the heros of the great success that will be GBNews

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting that GB News has to reach deep into the cultural toilet of this country because it's that desperate for views? Shocking. Given that 17.4 million people voted for Brexit, it's a bit shocking that, what, 0.5% of that figure tuned into see the alleged architect of Brexit.

You're overthinking, massively.

You are going to have to accept that there is a diversity of opinion in the world. Just because some people disagree with your views, doesn't make them a troll, nor a parody or someone to dismiss outright.

I wouldn't have said many of the things Davidson has said, of course. His style of humour harks back to the humour of old, when sarcastic jokes about race, sexuality, identity etc. were far more "normal" than they are today. As a consequence, humour today is pretty much dead. Tune into the BBC or Channel 4 and what you find are panels of so-called "comedians" that are walking on eggshells to safeguard against saying the "wrong thing".

If someone makes a homophobic joke, does that make them a homophobe? No, not in my view. It depends on intention and context. Things are more nuanced than the black and white view espoused by some posters here.

I watched Jim Davidson on Hell's Kitchen with Marco Pierre White. I think that was 13-14 years ago now. At that time, when Davidson made the remarks, I wasn't remotely personally offended. In some respects, I found some of the comments and facial expressions funny. Other comments he made were statements of fact, though politically incorrect to say them. Dowling overreacted in my view, pandering to the cameras and playing the victim. Better to have risen above the comments, I think.

I don't dismiss everyone with a different world view. never have, never said I would.

I am dismissing you though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Their chief draw spent 5 minutes yesterday arguing that the RNLI shouldn't rescue people at risk of drowning.

Fair play to him, they saw a massive flow of donations on the back of his 'not far right' BS.

I suppose you're not going to see something as far right when you're in the middle of it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Did Davidson wife over react when he hit her in the face on multiple occasions?

In his own words :-

In Jim's 1993 autobiography The Full Monty, he talked about his violent and abusive behaviour towards his third wife in a light-hearted manner.

He said: "We’re like a couple of boxers. On the first occasion, I poked her in the eye by accident. I actually went for the mouth. Thank heaven I missed, I’d have fallen in. I just took a playful punch.

"Unfortunately I caught her completely wrong. The second time I gave her a shiner. I threw a bunch of keys which whacked her in the eye. Just for a giggle she kept blackening it up to make it look worse."

He also had an affair with a 16 year old girl during that marriage - which was his 3rd , he's now on his 6th.

He said recently of his 6th wife - "She's lovely , I want to spend the rest of my life with her.....unless Liz Hurley becomes available". Oh.. He's a charmer that one.

Definitely the kind of person you want sharing their views on national television...

Farage was making the point that the UK Border Force should be managing the problem, not the RNLI; and that the latter are effectively acting as a marine taxi service for migrants crossing the channel. He has a point, because criminal gangs are facilitating this migrant flow - making hundreds of thousands of pounds in the process. If migrants were going to be effectively taxied to the Kent coast, that will encourage more boats to enter the channel - increasing the risk of death.

How is that reasonable position "far-right"?

Don't take my word for it. Here is Farage himself:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So - You think the solution is to let a few of them drown in the channel to discourage the rest?

And you think that isn't an extreme right wing viewpoint?

Help me understand what would actually constitute a "far right" viewpoint in our mind - Just so we can all establish a baseline here?

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Davidson is basically as low as it gets without being an active klan member to be honest.

Its not a label, or an ism. He's 100% a bigoted, racist, misogynistic, woefully unfunny and completely talentless c*nt.

It doesn't hark back to anything. He's merely a vile human being who shouldn't be given any more airtime

Farage himself helped save migrants in the English Channel late last year. Perhaps you didn't know?

The RNLI shouldn't have to handle this problem in the first place. Not one person is arguing to allow migrants to drown, of course not. Migrant boats must be towed back to the French coast. That's the best way to stop the criminal traffickers sending boats. This is what the Australians did when boats were arriving from Indonesia - and it worked; the boats stopped coming.

That is a far better solution than letting the boats enter British waters to create the kind of dangerous situation you describe.

No, that is not far-right; it's a humanitarian solution to prevent deaths from occurring in the English Channel.

The German view, which was to allow as many migrants to cross the Mediterranean, led to thousands upon thousands of deaths.

• Advertisement

Again, I give you the man who claimed that I was "racist" because I said Farage would attract low IQ English viewers

"Just because some people disagree with your views, doesn't make them a troll, nor a parody or someone to dismiss outright."

I take umbrage at the statement that Farage attracts a low IQ following.

I'm not low IQ (the Mensa test I took put my IQ at 139, incidentally). Many politicians, multimillionaire businessmen, and public figures backed Brexit - none of whom are unintelligent in any way.

This turgid condescension that Brexit voters are somehow in parallel with having a low IQ is elitist and snobbish - "...they didn't know what they voted for".

Just because many people in the north of England don't speak the Queen's English doesn't mean they are unintelligent nor worth having their views ignored.

Almost 40pc of Scotland opted to Brexit. Try not to focus on England, there, as if Brexit were somehow the political fruit of England. Wales opted to Brexit in the same percentage terms as England, too. The fact you are focussing on English people, looking down on them as particularly unintelligent, says quite a lot.

To look down on a population in this way, speaks volumes. It really does, and it also shows how low the opposition is willing to verbally sink just because their favoured blend of politics lost the argument.

people who voted for brexit didn't know what they were voting for. they had no idea what they would end up with. they were sold a pup. The ramifications are still unclear. Johnson now wants to renegotiate a deal he said was oven ready. the whole thing has been a shitshow.

We're continuing with this distortion I see. The UK is effectively England plus three vassal states, two of whom are clearly ambiguous at least about continuing in said union. Where England goes, the rest follow. It's notable how the right is fine with ignoring views when it comes to matters aside from immigration.

And yeah, Farage and Grimes are clearly in favour of allowing people to drown. It really is that simple.

Let me help you: people who voted to Brexit voted to leave the European Union.

Johnson promised to get Brexit done, and received a thumping majority in the General Election of 2019 - an election held 3-years post the referendum with incessant debate and discussion; yet the UK still gave Johnson a majority.

Please. Even if you were right about the 2016 vote, your analysis still fails when it comes to the election of 2019, as well as the Brexit Party's total domination in the recent European Elections.

The UK can't stop voting for Brexit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Still labouring under the falsehood of Farage -> Low IQ -> Brexit, despite the dichotomy having been pointed out to you by more than one individual and on repeated occasions too.

You might need to do your Mensa test again. 😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Let me help you, many people who voted for Brexit, didn't know what they were voting for. (Many could be all the way up to 90+%

No one who voted for Brexit has gotten what they wanted.

Those who were accused of engaging in Project Fear at every step of the campaign, the vote, the aftermath, the negotiation, the outcome of the agreement and so on have been proven to be almost 100% correct as virtually every UK business and agriculture sector has seen increase in costs and drop off in revenue. UK citizens are realizing the implications in travelling to their holiday homes, or for work opportunities are very different to what they were told they would be.

Brexit has been proven to be a disaster thus far, the fact that they (and the rest of us) are obligated to try to make the best of a situation going forward will not change that fact.

I am right about the 2016 vote. Even in 2019 it was true. Nobody knew what the final deal would be. Johnson sure didn't. We still don't know what the final deal will be as johnson has realised he fucked up and wants to renegotiate.

Hey, any reason why you're ignoring the domestic abuse? The jokes about it while under investigation. And we already know you're gay and have no problem with homophobia. But honestly, it seems pretty clear that you'd probably be arguing Bill Cosby is a feminist if he was going on GBN. You are happy to ignore the fact that they're relying on pondscum... It says a lot about the audience they're targeting though.

We have a final deal it's been signed by both sides. Somehow though brexiters seem to have forgotten the negotiating is over and the deal done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The "hilarious Jim Davidson". You're having a laugh. This has nothing to do with PC culture or anything like that but Jim Davidson is an odious individual.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement