Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not allowed holidays

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If it is in print on the contract for this work placement then refer back to the agency for clarity. If it's not written on the contract it doesn't exist.

But.. it will still most likely rankle with your current employer one way or the other, especially if they find out that this trip was planned prior to starting.

I personally don't see you coming out on top in this situation. Temp workers are just that temporary and in some instances a bit like a probationary period which gives the employer the opportunity to access your work ethic.

I would think at best you will probably end up with whatever holiday pay you are due and told your services are no longer required after your return.

As for a reference, hmmm, as Mondeoman72 says above, it will be basic at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Marymoore

It says in my contract I only need to give 3 hours notice to leave, so if I left before the trip, they wouldn’t be able to give me a bad reference as I didn’t break a contract correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭AnRothar

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Lads, it's a temp job, no job is too busy that they can't work out how to give someone a week off in the middle of summer. Expecting someone to work 3 months straight with no leave is a big ask, especially when it's only being outlined at this point after hiring. If it was that important it should have been highlighted before hiring or in the person's contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Marymoore

Thank you tails. At least there’s one person in the thread with a bit of compassion..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Thread is full of wannabe Michael O'Leary's lol

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

This thread is pretty much exhausted. Do whatever you want, but you are not going to get what you think. You are in fairyland with your ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Did you tell the agency you had holidays booked for August?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They can give either no reference citing "company policy", and tell you to get your certificate of service from the agency.

Or they can give an honest one "Marymoore was hired for an 11 week contract. In week 6 s/he asked for a week's annual leave. This was not able to be approved because Marymoore was providing cover for other staff who were on leave. Marymoore then resigned at the end of week 7, and did not fulfill his/her commitment."

Potential employer: "And would you hire Marymoore again"

Client: "No".

That said - if you're an agency worker, the client should not have even been discussing leave with you. That's between you and the agency. Talk to your handler (whatever your agency calls them), and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

This has got to be a wind up surely?

How can someone old enough to have a job not know the basics of how the world works!

I despair for the future when I read uninformed entitled drivel like this!

🤦‍♂️

It’s a temp job to cover in the middle of summer! Do you really think that it isn’t to cover a busy period while perm staff are on holiday!! 🤦‍♂️

they’ve hardly said ‘ah sure let’s hire some temps just for the craic’!!

The OP should have made the company aware at interview stage but probably had an idea it would go against the hire so didn’t!

As you rightly say, if it was that important it should have been highlighted before being hired!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Expecting someone to work for 3 months with no leave is a big ask.... Lol seriously?

This is a prime example of this having to be a wind up!

Surely you understand that you have signed a contract to work for 11 weeks on a temp basis to cover a function.

Regardless, if you can’t even see out an 11 week contract it’s not going to hold you well when you go for a perm role, because you know, they’re more than 11 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

The way I’m reading it, the client had an expectation that you’d be there for the full 11 wks, presumably with the exception of sickness/an emergency.

The client may not have explicitly said that to your agent at the time. I would’ve thought it was kinda implied for such a short term contract that they weren’t anticipating a full weeks holiday - maybe they weren’t clear about that to your agent, or maybe your agent assumed by holidays, you meant accruing days off and using them on the odd day or two off. To be fair,you should have explicitly said to your agent about a full week off. Sounds like none of the 3 parties involved were entirely clear.

The reality of the situation is that if you do take this week off, you can kiss goodbye to it becoming a permanent role, or a decent reference. They’ll do a ‘reference’ confirming the dates that you worked there, but if they get asked on the QT, my take is that they’ll communicate their non-happiness with you taking a week off at their busy time while on a very short contract.

So it comes down to choices:

• if you want to have a chance at being made permanent, you’ll have to ditch the holiday
    • if want them to give good feedback about you, ditch the holiday
    • if you really really want the holiday, accept that they’re most likely not going to offer you a permanent role or give good feedback about you

Can your cousin come to Ireland, and you hang out together after work, and maybe go away for 2 nights together?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

You are ether unbelievably stupid or just taking the piss out of us. You have not got a leg to stand on, the lack of respect is staggering.

I find it hard to tell nowadays if this sort of thing is a wind up or a genuine question from the next ‘generation’.

If the latter, that’s why I worry for the future….

Whatever agency put you forward for this contract is not going to be impressed if you resign before the 11 weeks and even less if you leave with 3 hours notice.

I can't see them wanting to offer you more work in the future, but its up to you to weigh the pros and cons.

The agency should also have told you that how you take annual leave during the course of your contract is at the discretion of your employer, not the agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Also OP, the ‘official’ reference is nothing more than confirming that you did work somewhere, between 2 dates.

The unofficial reference is generally a phonecall - normally by people with connections between companies, and if they know and trust each other quite well, a frank discussion is had. If you/the agency provide a contact as a reference where the person considering hiring you is not a friend / ex-colleague of your old employer, it’s not normally a long conversation. It’s “would you hire X again”. And in your case, if you proceed with the week off, that answer is IMO going to be a big old NO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The way that you exit a position has no impact on whether you get a reference or not. The point that seems to lost on you is that your employer is the agency not their client where you are working so they (the client) does not have to do anything at all.

Where to you expect your next gig to come from? References are not the only way that information gets around... when you PO people you can expect they will gossip, depending on what you do, the size of the work force where you are working etc.... it may get out, it may not.

You should go back to the people who you signed the contract with and let them sort it out with their client, it may well be that they are willing to compensate you a bit more of staying on, provide another body to cover your absence etc...

Advertisement