Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROLL IT BACK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

For fcuk sake will ye bring back old boards and forget about this new set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭sporina

i assume admin and mods know what a mess this is - relax - no need to exert ourselves in order to demonstrate it (the users) xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Fly_away

I set up a thread yesterday asking specific questions about the feasibility of a roll back and whether it's possible (because I didn't feel this thread, which is full of people demanding a roll back, was conducive to a sensible discussion about it).

It was up for nearly 24 hours. No response from devs or anybody senior, no serious engagement with the questions from anybody.

And to top it all off, I then find that the thread was deleted today. Not even the courtesy to merge with this one was afforded.

Completely shambolic I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,033 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you're not allowed to post in feedback, that's probably why:

To post in Feedback, you must have 100 posts on the site and have been a registered member for at least 3 months. Anyone closing their account will be subject to this restriction on any new account opened. The Help Desk will still be available to anyone wishing to raise an issue but who does not satisfy these conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

No cognisance from (most likely a volunteer) mod/admin (I can't tell any more) that these are extraordinary times then.

Mighty.

They won't roll it back, that much is certain to me. What I am struggling to understand is why they have replaced a heavily modded platform with, if all the amendments are implemented, another heavily modded platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

If that's the reason why it kinda sums up the dysfunctionality of the place at the moment:

"The Help Desk will still be available to anyone wishing to raise an issue but who does not satisfy these conditions."

The Help Desk doesn't exist at the moment. With that in mind a bit of leeway would be a better approach, rather than deleting people's threads because they don't meet the criteria for posting in feedback - considering they have nowhere else to ask questions currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Inviere

If this new version of Boards looks and operates pretty much the same to you as it did beforehand, then you must have been using a Windows 95 based laptop to browse the site. I'm not one for hyperbole, but you're talking complete nonsense. There's near-sitewide levels unanimous dislike for the Vanilla version of Boards, not just because of the visual changes (we can adapt to them over time), but the near month long broken nature of the site. I could list more things that are now long-term broken, than I can things that actually work. Yes we can log in and post, but it's nowhere near "pretty much the same" as it was in June. I've been a user here since 2007, been through several site changes too....but this is by far the biggest failure I've ever see Boards endure. The time it is taking to fix basic navigation for users is beyond concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Honestly, I don't see a huge difference. The colours look the same, the boxes, the overall look. I've got no big white spaces, no misplaced borders etc. I don't understand what people are talking about. Both on my home laptop and work one. Biggest changes for me is the loss of the 'hover over' to read and drop down menus. I'm not saying it's great, I know nothing about website coding and all that business, just that the over the top reactions from some are ridiculous - It sucks that the site was down for ages and that users are heading off to pastures new, BUT the throwing toys out of the pram that some people are doing? You don't agree that some of it is over the top?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The mods/admins have feck all to do with this Sporina and I'd be willing to bet a fair percentage of them are just as frustrated as anyone else.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Also there is no indication that a particular poster is a mod. Have seen a couple of arguments on a few threads in the last week or so where a poster has had a go at a mod accusing them of back seat moderation, but not realising they are an actual mod.

• Advertisement

Speaking of the visuals, the homepage looks fine, agreed. However, in forum/thread view the formatting is all off. There's swathes of wasted/empty space right here on my screen (and indeed many others). A month on I've still no Dark Mode option (seriously, it's 2021.) There's now tons of scrolling to do, instead of proper forum page delineation that there used to be (a HUGE pain when you click back out, and boom, you've to do all that scrolling again to get to where you where.) You now can't selectively quote a part of a post, another HUGE misstep which leads to yet more screen taken up with text that doesn't need to be there (you've to quote an entire post). The clock is wrong. Mods/Cmods/Admins aren't displaying properly. The new 'Like' function just isn't as effective or efficient as the older Thanks system. These are all bugs that are mere annoyances, and don't really prevent the use of the site itself too badly.

Speaking of navigation, this is where I find the real barriers to using the site. The list of My Forums, broken/missing a month on. This means having to either use the traditionally awful Boards search function to navigate, or hope that where you want to go appears on the homepage. You can also use the Topics bar, but that's a whole mess of scrolling, every forum listed but not broken up into categories, and yes, more and more scrolling. It doesn't drop down like it used to, again, a month on.

The text-editor requires more effort than before (on a discussion forum!), notifications are driving people slowly insane, groups are broken, categories button acts like the Topics button, ie, broken.....the discussions button lists the latest posts that are already shown on the latest posts section of the homepage...I could go on and on with navigational and display issues. By absolutely no means is it "pretty much the same" man, how can anyone claim that?

Half of me thinks we need to just wait it out, the other half thinks what the hell is going on four weeks later.....I do believe a bit more clarity is needed, maybe a roadmap of where we're heading? At first glance, to me it just looks like the site is in crisis at the moment. It's taking days & weeks to fix tiny little glitches like the breadcrumbs bar not floating (fixed now). Boards has only a single dev afaik, so things are not looking good. I don't think it's unfair to expect at least some explanation as to how we found ourselves in this mess....there's thousands of people using the site every single day. Not to apportion blame, but to just paint a picture for us to understand the problems, and things like that can turn public opinion around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I haven't read the entire thread but I have to agree with the few posts I've read. This hasn't worked lads you've made boards pretty much unusable and I haven't really bothered with it since the upgrade. I fail to see where the improvements are when the other site worked faultlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭sporina

thats what I mean - i'd say some mods/admin are just as frustrated as we, the users

Unfortunately the help desk currently doesn't exist.

Is a roll back even feasible realistically?

I lack the tech knowledge - would it be possible for them to just put it back the way it was?

I understand all content posted since the changeover would be lost but not much lost there anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

I came on here to say pretty much the same thing

I was greeted with 153 notifications on that bell thing in the corner all telling that xyz posted in a thread I had since unfollowed (or at least that's what I think I did removing the bookmark).

What about the threads I do follow? No notifications on them so I have to check the last post date and remember if that's before or after I since looked at it.

I'm off work now for 3 weeks and doubt I'll come on here in the meantime - hopefully when I come back it's back in some usable state cos as it is it's shite

Edit - can you fix the 'Most Thanked' tab as that's where I used to start my boards day

This is effectively what I asked in my thread.

No response or engagement with that question and the thread was deleted.

Are there any users out there with some IT knowledge that could enlighten us further?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Please just restore the old version.

They don't have the money folks and that's what it's boiling down to. Boards is losing money on the old platform.

They had no choice but to leave the old one behind and go ahead with this. They don't have the money to do six months of testing.

It was either push ahead or the site was close to shutting down for good.

Thats what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You can now edit your notifications properly. Scroll down to the list of forums, if you're on a mobile move the screen to the right and untick the relevant ones.

It's a relief to get rid of them!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

For those that didn't see it, Odhran confirmed in this post that Boards simply didn't have the money to roll back to the old platform:

"Well putting it simply - we don't have the money to wait. There was a cash injection into Boards of old to keep the lights on. The legacy site was too expensive to maintain and not generating enough income."

There will be no rollback.

If things really are that financially precarious, it's hard to see how the site can recover at all then from this migration. Forum activity has fallen off a cliff, and shows little sign of recovering...a month on. A few visible improvements are trickling through, and undoubtedly more so on the backend that we can't see...but with a large time difference between Boards and Vanilla, and having to submit PR's to make changes, using Vanilla doesn't appear to have been the most 'optimal' solution. I genuinely sympathise with the employees, I really do...these must be stressful times in HQ.

An Irish, or even EU based hosing service is what we need. I know this means more cash, but I fear it needs to happen. Couple this with opening as much as possible to some of our users with development backgrounds here (being GDPR compliant obviously), things would be running better in no time. Sounds like crisis management at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I predominantly use the mobile version of the site and have done for years. For me there isn’t a huge amount of change to be honest and there are some features which are a definite improvement like being able to take a screenshot and copy it rather than saving it to my phone and then pasting that copy into a post. That’s far better than the hoops I would have had to jump through before which meant I’d rarely bother posting images

Personally, my biggest gripe is the spacing after hitting the return button. It’s far too much. It’s like it’s set to 1.5 or 2.0 or something. I won’t be asking for a rollback for that anyway. It’s grand 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What’s happened to the page selector button? Page 1 option is gone. Why can’t there be an option to select pages. I mean come on, we put a man on the moon 40 years ago

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

How much can a forum cost, realistically?

There's lots of them out there; how can one of the biggest in the world not be viable but others are?

Why not migrate to a more basic, but still functional, platform instead of this? I have never seen a forum platform so bad and with so many basic issues in my life. It's staggering.

I get that finances are important, but there has to be some option in between "old boards was too expensive" and "take Vanilla or bugger off"

I imagine most of the overheads are because now Boards.ie is a business, rather than simply being a forum. Salaries and rent/insurance/utilities/rates for head office being the big ones I'm guessing? I did ask myself the same question though, has Boards.ie grown too big as a business to sustain itself, and would it be better poised as a smaller outfit?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Boards was smaller than now (well, before migration) for the first ten years of its existence and was fine.

How many salaries can it take? It seems to be owned by an organisation that has a few things on the go, so it wouldn't need full rent/rates/etc.

Maybe trying to monetise it was the problem; that can be solved by not monetising it surely?

Bottom line though - if the site is in trouble financially, a blind migration to an inept platform is the last thing you do. That'll just kill it.

Financial issues should have been foreseen in advance and planned for accordingly.

Look at the basic forums out there that have sprung up (even gubu, and I'm not on it or associated with it, to be clear) or something like foot.ie, peoplesRepublicofCork, etc, etc. There's lots of them.

How can they manage with a nice basic platform but boards makes an utter hames of its?

I can't selectively quote (another head scratcher on a discussion forum), but yeah, I've no answers for you. I don't know enough about business to know why trying to monetise the site was necessary, or even needed...but I agree with you in that it seems to have caused many more problems than it solved. I won't go and say we don't need staff, those are the livelihoods of people that might read this and I wouldn't wish anyone out of a job, but objectively speaking, your examples of other forums that tick along nicely without financial overheads is hard to shoot down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Boards is a commercial entity, so has to pay for itself. I don't think there are any wealthy philanthropists waiting in the wings.

Problem is that it spun off one of its best potential earners to Adverts.ie, which afaik is booming. Hindsight and all that...

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement