Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

1) The heating is BS, I'd like to say with a high degree of certainty she went to meet someone. Maybe the family is right and it was IB, or maybe it's someone else entirely.

2) I'd really disagree with Dwyer, went out in a night gown and accidentally locked herself outside. That's borderline preposterous. Almost zero chance. The putting on the walking boots to me, says she thought she would be outside quickly. Like throw on whatever is beside the door. Could easily have been a car shining lights up her driveway, or indeed a person shining a torch up her driveway. For some reason I find the 2nd more sinister and might be less likely to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Caquas

They got nothing of evidential value from all this material. That’s my point.

Ironically, there was a highly significant piece of evidence linked to the forensics. As the DPP report stressed, IB repeatedly offered to provide blood and hair samples although it was well-known that blood had been found at the scene. This is compelling evidence of his innocence because he couldn’t have know that a complete cock-up had been made of the forensics I.e. his samples could neither incriminate nor exculpate him.

After these documentaries, someone might make a comedy series called CSI:Dublin.

The first episode could show the fake fingerprints “lifted” from the bomb that murdered the British Ambassador.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

I don't know, if you saw someone from across the street through a shop window and twice on the road for a couple of seconds each time, would you store a figure for height or even store height information at all? Maybe if you stood next to them and were looking up at them, or if someone whose height you were familiar with was standing beside them, you might file away a reasonably accurate height? I can't see any reason for Marie Farrell to be expected to have an accurate reference for his height. From reading the accounts of her statements, she didn't give a figure for her own husband's height, she just mentioned he might be about the same height as the man she saw. A lot of people are not good at putting feet an inches to a person's height, me included.

The gardai needed to put down a figure, she repeatedly failed to give a measurement, they asked her to compare other people standing around and, from what I can remember, she just said he was probably the same height as her husband. She seems to have had no idea on height and no reference apart from her own husband.

There are photographs, I think footage as well, of Bailey walking around the scene after crossing the garda cordon. He had also worked at Alfie Lyons place next door and visited at other times, you could argue there was plausible reasons for his fingerprints or hair being found around the scene. He also seems to have known details of the post mortem and forensics at least a month before he was arrested so may have known nothing of evidential value linked to anyone but Sophie was found by the time he was arrested.

The year before a rape and murder was solved because the perpetrator volunteered a DNA sample. There's a simple dilemma any potential offender faces, if you refuse to give a sample it makes you even more suspicious and worthy of further investigation, where you might be compelled to give a sample or seized personal items will provide it anyway. If you do take the risk of offering a sample and there are no forensics linking you anyway, you're feeling like you are on the home run.

There are few advantages in refusing to provide samples. They will get them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kelvinyook

After how many hours of accusatory interrogation did Bailey change his account to say he did get up during the night, but just to go to the outbuilding? In the Sky documentary he openly struggles to discuss it, getting drunk, then saying he told too much truth. In the Netflix doc he's shown talking as if overall he bested unsophisticated interrogators, saying he refused a break and they had to take one for themselves (may actually have been part of their tactics; were the Garda trained to use Reid-style techniques or what?)

Post edited by Kelvinyook on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Just an aside. Anyone posting in this thread will enjoy this immensely.

This thread kind of reminds me of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The problem with Dwyer's theory is the front door is clearly on the latch in the crime scene photo. So either the Guards interfered with it, or the door wasn't locked.

I suppose one of the first things they check is whether a lock was forced or picked so it's likely they put it on the latch while continuing the search of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭mossie

I thought the suggestion that Bailey had been walking around the crime scene and crossed the Garda cordon had been disproved?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

"IB himself told several news organisations, supposedly just after hearing a french woman had been killed, that he had photographs of her and photographs of the scene taken around 11am, before he was supposed to have even known there was a murder. This was apparently all before he left the house and confirmed who the victim was and exactly where she lived."

On these alleged photos (note, the first record of him offering photos to anyone (Padraig Beirne) was at 1410, this is not corroborated by any other statements), there are a few scenarios:

1. IB actually had photos of the body (which means he was likely involved in the murder) and was then touting these photos around to news agencies to make money while somehow being oblivious to the incriminating nature of these photos
    2. IB had no photos of the body but was touting these around to new agencies to make a deal in the hope of later securing photos

The story about the photographs is nonsense IMO - think about it, he murders Sophie at some point, goes home and gets cleaned up, heads back out with his camera to take photos (before the body is found but not knowing when it will be found) and then goes back home to wait for somebody to tell him about the murder before trying to sell the photos on for a few quid......

• Advertisement

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was disagreeing with the person who said there was plenty evidence but the late arrival of Harbison was the reason no evidence of value was found. There's no way to determine evidence was lost due to Harbison's late arrival. They still found blood on the door and the gate and DNA on her shoe lace. . It is true to say they got nothing of evidential value but it is not true to say there would have been forensic of evidential value had Harbison been there immediately which is what the other person said. No one knows that.

That night was near freezing and cold frosty weather helped preserve DNA in Marlynn Rynn's case.though I don't know if it was much colder in Marlynn's case.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Caquas

It's true that the failure to preserve the scene meant that IB could explain away e.g. a fingerprint. This is particularly egregious because a central plank of his defence is that he did not know Sophie personally and never visited her house before the murder. But he was also offering to give a blood sample - a match with blood at the scene could not be explained away.

Perhaps you are right and the chaos of the investigation was such that a journalist like IB had been told just weeks after the murder that there had been a total failure by the forensics team. What a terrible scenario! A murderer brazenly offers sample of his blood because, as a journalist, he had discovered that the blood he had spattered all over the crime scene did not yield any evidence. I'm prepared to believe anything at this stage about this investigation (and it would make a dramatic scene for CSI:Dublin) but I prefer the simpler explanation - that IB was confident his blood and hair samples would prove his innocence.

Who in Ireland was convicted of rape/murder after volunteering a DNA sample? I don't recall any case in this country where the culprit provided DNA samples voluntarily but it is possible someone did so in the past before DNA testing became part of the forensic arsenal.

You say there are few advantages in refusing to provide samples. The legal profession will await a detailed exposition of your reasoning before they abandon their strongly-held opposition to this notion. The law makes it very difficult to take samples. The tragi-comic history of our drink-driving legislation continues to this day:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/drink-driving-conviction-overturned-as-wrong-doctor-allowed-blood-sample-1.4513999

David Lawler volunteered a sample to gardai, believing it wouldn't have been preserved at the scene: Fatal chance brought together an unlikely killer and his victim (irishtimes.com).

As the garda forensics guy on the documentary said, you needed practically a teaspoon of blood, a decent sample of semen or a large number of skin cells to get a profile in 1997, if the attacker was wearing gloves and had no direct contact with the victim then any forensically aware person would consider it unlikely there was DNA or fingerprint evidence of them to be found over a larger area of open, rough terrain.

Taking blood samples for drink driving is quite a bit different to taking a swab in a murder investigation.

In any case, once they had a warrant to seize personal items they were likely to get a sample. Just this week or last week a guy was linked to a serious assault because his DNA was found on a pair of sunglasses.

IB told several people in news desks or reporters that he had photos of her alive, he told at least one person that he had taken the photos himself. It's one thing saying you have photos, hoping to pick some up afterwards, its another to say you took them yourself so no copyright or licensing issues would come up. He told the photographer sent to collect some crime scene photos that they had been taken around 11am.

The photographer said they were taken through bushes and practically nothing could be seen except that there were gardai around. In their official account they drove up to the scene and spoke to gardai, so its not clear why they resorted to taking photographs through bushes at that time.

They got a sample from her shoe from a "single sample swab" which had DNA of unknown male according to West Cork podcast. Podcasts says it could have been saliva and could have come from someone speaking in the post mortem. EDIT: that was 2011 a French forensic scientist went to Cork so youare corect 1997 was much harder

There's photos of him, taken with a long lens, looking through the front window of the cottage in the Netflix doc while one of the contributors says he was seen crossing over the cordon to examine the scene as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Okay, so let's assume that these photos existed (there's no evidence that they did exist but let's assume they did for now) - how would you see that as having worked, how did IB take these photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

One would think that the first thing that would be done would be to compare the DNA profile to that of pathology lab staff and scene of crime gardaí for elimination.

Hopefully this DNA sample, even if first identified ten years ago, is what will help finally solve this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Bailey no more killed Sophie than any of us on this forum did.

I think he played the media to meet his own ends... He knew he had nothing to do with the murder, and assumed the Gards would eliminate him soon enough... He probably adored being the centre of attention (again, knowing that he was innocent).

As the botched investigation blackened his name, I'm sure he was adding up law suites, libel cases, compensation, a book deal....etc

His antics certainly rattled the Gards. How could this pompous Brit embarrass us like this in front of the world.. I wouldn't be surprised by how they reacted. There was not one shred of evidence connecting Bailey to the crime scene, they needed somebody to put him in the vicinity.

Enter Maria Fallell.

She was coached by the Gards and made change her statements several times. And the young fella being plied with drugs, cigarettes and money to give evidence. At this point, the investigation was locked on to Bailey, he was carrying the can for this, no matter if he committed the crime or not.. In reality, the Gards stopped looking for anybody else, their whole game plan was to put Bailey behind bars.

Without a doubt, the investigation was rotten to the core. Missing statements, pages torn out of log books, lost evidence, manipulating witnesses, money & gifts passing hands...... (That's before we talk about 'favours owed')

How could so much time and resources be used chasing shadows? Also allowing the real murderer to make good his escape?

Sophie had a complex love life... She had many admirers, and had taken on several lovers during her marriage. One scorned lover had already tried to throttle her previously... She kept herself to herself by all accounts, spoke French with little English. She was known to bring gentlemen friends to her cottage - Was it a glorified love nest??

Her Husband didn't even bother to come over with the family after her murder... And was married again within 18 months (obviously truly gutted about the tragic loss of his Wife).

Who was speeding away from the crime scene that morning?? What triggered such a violent rage that resulted in Sophie's head being caved in?? Too repeatedly keep smashing a rock / block of a woman's head in a frenzied prolonged attack is personal.

There are so many more people of interest here than Ian Bailey.

In my opinion, the murderer came from outside the community. The way she was murdered points towards an emotional motive. Maybe a scorned lover? Maybe her Husband was embarrassed about her infidelities and needed her out of the way, or maybe a divorce would be to expensive..? He didn't take long to get over her....

If somebody local was the assailant, their entire demeaner would change in the following days. Apart from being blood splattered and ripped apart by bryres, they would be noticed by their friends and family as being disheveled / missing from their normal routines. And one would assume that a missing neighbor, friend or work colleague would raise a red flag within the community after such an horrific crime - (Nobody was reported as missing or acting strange at the time).

Justice has not been done for Sophie - Neither has Baily been treated fairly. He is still serving he's sentence.

If your trying to show sympathy for IB can it. At best he's a degenerate self loating drunkard who's antics completely hijacked a murder investigation.

• Advertisement

Fishonabike said it was blood yesterday with a bit of authority. Not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kelvinyook

Not to mention beating up his partner. Who also got threatened and intimidated by the gardai (sounds like Reid-style guilt presumptive techniques) and her daughter also arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Several newspaper / online sources report it as blood, others as DNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

I'm not an Ian Bailey cheer leader if that's what you are implying...??

It's quite ironic that you label him a 'degenerate self loathing drunkard' and then imply that he hijacked a murder investigation ??

Are you suggesting the Gards didn't form the same opinion too?? That they couldn't detect that he was an ego driven, self opinionated, drunken, media hoor.....??? Really??

The Gards are 100% responsible for the failure to investigate the murder properly and professionally. They failed at every turn, at every level. They targeted their man (Bailey) without one jot of evidence against him, they closed off any other line of investigation, and when ultimately realised they had nothing on him, procured false witnesses to change their statements to implicate Bailey at the scene / alleged confession(s).

The Gards hijacked their own murder enquiry. Their conduct was borderline criminal.

Bailey may be a drunkard. He may be egotistical. He is a Wife beater.... That dosen't make him a scapegoat for a corrupt murder investigation. There are plenty more home grown drunken wife beaters around the country besides Bailey, that dosen't make them, or him murderers.

Yes i thought there was blood on her shoe too. Was there blood on the sole of her shoe as well. What I wrote " They got a sample from her shoe from a "single sample swab" which had DNA of unknown male according to West Cork podcast. Podcasts says it could have been saliva and could have come from someone speaking in the post mortem." is from West Cork podcast. Here is the clip https://voca.ro/1QBiyx2LvTWG

West Cork says the French or Irish forensic or investigators would not tell them either way whether the boot lace DNA was compared with lab staff ETC DNA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Or the local doctor who pronounced her dead at the scene,

or the local priest who administered the last rites at the scene,

or the local gardai who prayed with the priest at the scene.

or a local fox who may have happened by in the night,

all before the pathologist arrived at the scene.

she is hardly gong to contradict herself now, that would look suspicious and show she was lying when she said she beliveed him innocent

• Advertisement

Didn't stop MF. Her guilt wasn't exactly tested. Although I get your point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement