Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prosecutions of British military veterans in Northern Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Well, as someone who has defended the New IRA and the murder of Lyra McKee you have no credibility here I am afraid.

You have a hierarchy of responsibility because it suits you politically. That is all.

It is a pity you wouldn't lobby SF/PIRA to help out other innocent victims, yet bang the drum when 'Da Brits' do the same as SF.....

As I said, SF are Grade A hypocrites here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No.

I have a heirarchy of responsibility because as the world now knows only too well, a government colluded with a sectarian statelet until it went up in flames and was a player/combatant in the conflict/war that followed. A conflict/war that was wrong from the beginning.

You tend to support that government and the remnants of that sectarian statelet politically just as the power swap chose to do. Even if you pretend to be critical of them, you are only really doing it to score cheap political point.

Keywords there Francie,

"You have a hierarchy of responsibility"

That is you, nobody else. A very very convenient excuse to be political on victims' rights to justice. I guess Ireland should have just invaded the North, eh? Sort them out!! lol

I have never had any shame or compunction about blaming the responsible government for allowing a set of circumstances to exist that resulted in conflict/war.

I also want a Truth Recovery process primarily for the victims, even if that results in prosecutions for whomever.

There is a single word of complaint from me about the sentences served by convicted IRA men and women or their deaths n active service. They have their share of blame for what happened too.

YOU come on a thread about the states involvement in murder, cover up and amnesty and all you want to do is point the finger at SF and you accuse me of being 'political'.

Sad, pathetic and nauseous.

You are being political Francie because you are denying the very fact that it was SF/PIRA who escalated the conflict to what it became. It was they who started a bombing campaign across the North and on the UK mainland.

You are the person who thinks that the Warrington bombing was warranted and indeed was justified as it helped Nationalists and Catholics in the North.

All the while forgetting that the IRA were, undemocratically may I add, fighting for a United Ireland, something they failed to achieve.

Maybe Ireland should have just invaded the North, and all would have been well? Eh?

Lies again about Warrington. Scurrilous lies. Not to mention a seriously bad grasp of history, not the first time you showed that.

You aren't worth debating Mark because of what you will stoop to try and goad. Another FGer who lies when caught in a bind.

Did you not advocate that Ireland invade the North, multiple times?

Your views on Warrington are on the record. You tried to say it was wrong with the classic 'but' afterwards, which was a veiled attempt to justify the bombing or indeed any bombings the PIRA carried out that killed innocent people.

"It was a war and bad things happen in a war" is the usual summary.

Until of course, we talk about 'da Brits' then, of course, they are responsible for everything and anything...

I'm not an FG'er either by the way.

No I didn't advocate an invasion, I advocated a humanitarian incursion that did not attack any British installations and was flagged internationally as such...you twisted and lied about what I said.

You asked what the IRA's thinking was about Warrington and what it achieved for them. You twisted and lied about my answer which was analytical and never once voiced support for what they where doing.

I have said repeatedly that they all bear a share of the blame and responsibility but that the primary responsibility lies with those who created the circumstances for conflict/war. You lie and twist that too into me ONLY blaming the British.

• Advertisement

A 'humanitarian incursion' by the Irish army into a foreign jurisdiction. Right out of Putin's playbook there ala Ukraine and Crimea.....

You can call it whatever you like, if you are sending Irish Troops into another country uninvited, it's an invasion..... You can call a sheep a pig, but it's still a sheep. We have been down this road, and you were rightly laughed out of the place when you raised that piece of gold.

Let us not forget, that we should not have accepted the treaty either and advocated, doing 'whatever it took', including invasion to stop the partition of the country.... You seem to be a fan of invading the North tbh.

As for the rest of it, its been done and discussed before. I have always asked a simple question. How did killing toddlers in the UK help the average Catholic and Nationalist in the north. The answer is of course, it didnt... but some hang onto to notion that it had to mean something... right...something good had to come from it, otherwise it was just pointless murder...?

Well that all it was, pointless murder. No buts, no if's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

There's a great irony in seeing someone swan into a thread specifically about the British military to start ranting about SF while accusing others of being political or politicising victims, Mark.

Agh yes.....run away,when faced with anyone who dare disagree with yous with facts and logic that exposes yous emotive bluster

Lolz

Tbf anything is better than standing by,and watching nationlists getting massacred and burnt out of entire streets in the north.....the free state could and should have done much more

People slate the likes of haughey and co,but at least they provided people with guns to protect themselves,while yous lot with taughts and prayers arent worth a rattling bolix in the cold,harsh reality of what went on,

You are desperate to drag this thread off on a tangent to take the focus off the thread topic. I wonder why? Well I don't actually wonder, it abundantly clear not just to me, why you are doing it.

What SF/IRA or even loyalists did does not excuse or vindicate what the state did.

The fact remains Mark, you lie at the drop off a hat about what people say, or put your own slant on it and misrepresent them. Never any back-up for the lies you tell either.

That rules you out of honest debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Oh no, don't tell me that bandwagon of the "humanitarian invervention" has started again. Thankfully the leaders of this country had more sense than you at that time and we weren't turned into a NATO Protectorate thanks to stupid actions like you advocated.

Who cares about the IRA's thinking about Warrington, you put forward the theory that it helped them, that is on you.

The primary responsibility for what happened in the North is borne by SF/IRA.

• Advertisement

'The primary responsibility for what happened in the North is borne by SF/IRA'.

There you have it out front and centre at last. The DUP/belligerent Unionist line.

Its difficult to believe there still people who think sinn fein are primary to blame for a.para walking up to injured 18 year old unarmed neol philips and saying 'fuçk up,you cúnt' before shooting him twice in back of head

Scumbag posts,by scumbag posters

Not the systemic discrimination against one community, not those who started the violence, not the state that stood over it, colluded with it and covered it up.....nope not at all.

Christ almighty, Blanch has tried to blame the outcome of Brexit negotiations between the British government and the EU on SF, is it really surprising that he'd want to put primary responsibility for what happened in the North on their doorstep where they actually do bear partial responsibility?

At least it's out in the open now in a quotable quote.

Well yes, we had the Civil Rights Movement, things were on a path to change, and then SF/IRA decided to start killing people. That was why the terrorist campaign started and SF/IRA bear the primary responsibility for that. They set back the process for change that was already under way.

• Advertisement

This is the 'wait for the British and a Unionist sectarian government' to get around to being democrats, nonsense again.

There were reasons why there was a Civil Rights Movement and reasons why people were being beaten off streets, injured and killed.

There are NO reasons why what was achieved in the GFA could not have been achieved in 1960/1965 or 1970.

BUT...The primary responsibility for what happened in the North is borne by SF/IRA says blanch.

It was happening anyway, until SF/IRA started killing people, that is the point. As a result of that, SF/IRA bear the primary responsiblity for all of the violence that happened afterwards.

Won't stop you misrepresenting what I said.

I am not misrepresenting a single thing you said.

NOBODY in the nationalist community believed what you have invented, that civil rights were coming, not even your hero John Hume.

You are once again blaming the Irish, when the primary blame rests with the government who should have delivered a democracy to the people they partitioned.

They didn't, even the protestant church's leaders in the South in the 1920's knew what would happen - Harold Wilson knew as did Edward Heath.

It happened. People on all sides died by murder and by accident.

But...The primary responsibility for what happened in the North is borne by SF/IRA...says blanch and also belligerent Unionists like the DUP and Jamie Bryson.

Not forgetting when they shot civil rights protesters off the streets

Tell us how sf are primarly responsible for bloody sunday?

You've made it very clear when you talk about the people of NI, Blanch.....there was no, 'We' where you're concerned.

You'll recall how well things were progressing for that Civil Rights Movement before a single Provo bullet was fired or bomb planted. Fifty years into the existence of the statelet and of course you'd expect us to believe equality and was just round the corner (never mind the fact that the DUP continue to block moves towards equality to this very day). Path to change my ar*e...simply put, you don't have a scooby doo what you're talking about. I've said it before; you discuss NI with all the understanding of someone who read about it in a newspaper once.

None of this makes the actions of the Provos right, or morally justified.....but you couldn't honestly believe the narrative you've just typed out is even chronologically accurate?!

Yes you are misrepresenting me. You are doing it again there. When I say that the primary responsibility for WHAT happened in the North is borne by SF/IRA, you have to be able to be clear on what WHAT is being referred to. I am clearly talking about the violent terrorist campaign in the North, the primary responsibility for which is borne by SF/IRA, whereas you are talking about something different. You only do so in an attempt to score debating points on an internet forum, a pretty pathetic thing to be doing.

You see, that is the exact type of sleeveen-type misrepresentation that I am talking about. Where, in any of my posts on the subject, have I said that SF are primarily responsible for Bloody Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

A sectarian and repressive regime had nothing to do with it I suppose.....people just took up arms for the craic?

Well perhaps you need to be clearer, Blanch. To me, it reads that you're suggesting that the descent into violence that occurred in NI was primarily the responsibility of SF/PIRA, so I pointed out that NI had already descended into violence before a single Provo bullet was fired, and so clearly they can't have been primarily responsible for that.

If you're suggesting that SF/PIRA were primarily responsible for the actions of SF/PIRA, well duh....one would think that was so obvious as to not need stating any more than saying the British Government were primarily responsible for the actions of their army.

Or if you're trying to isolate and separate the actions of the PIRA as if they occurred in a bubble and weren't in any way connected to the violence of the British state forces or Loyalist Paramilitaries just so you can stick your, 'primary responsibility' nonsense in.....well that would be too idiotic to warrant a reply.

Yous said they are primarly respnsible for what went on in the north,ergo they are for this aswell

Time to stand over your words,yous said it,not me

• Advertisement

Well, you see, that's just it, you interpret my words one way, I know I said different and I made that clear. You keep hammering at the wrong point, why I don't know? It doesn't add anything to the discussion, it makes it about the poster, not the substance.

The row back begins.

From partition nothing that happened ion this island can be isolated off so that you can blame Irish people.

There was a violent campaign in the north indulged in by all sides. Violence that came about because the British government abdicated their responsibility to deliver an equal society for 80 years. NOT ONLY that, the British government shored up that sectarian bigoted state for a further 30 years until the Anglo Irish Agreement.

Your desperate attempt coming soon after Mark's similar one - to make another thread about SF - has failed. Rumbled.

That is simply deluded nonsense. You seem obsessed with posters like myself and Mark to the exclusion of rational discussion on issues.

It's deluded that you and Mark try to turn every thread into a Shinner one. Ha! 😀😀

Yous words are crystal clear mate....quite clearly flaming to get thread closed down....

Tell us again,how nationlists are primarly responsible for graysteel?

No row back needed.....seem obvious to me,a poster whos happy to scream about pre-ceived dog whistles from others is crsytal clear in what placeing primary responsibility means

It is a fact. Republicans killed far more people than any other group in the North, and they also killed more Catholics/Nationalists than the British Security forces.

Like, the south invading the North? Wouldnt have made it 3 miles into the North and Ireland would have been an international pariah, never mind that the UK was a NATO country, where the US would come to its aid.

Anyone advocating a military incursion into the North is deluded.

Anything is better than standing by and doing nothing,its better to die on your feet defending youself,than live on your knees....scores of people are proud of the part they played to help stem the tide and defend nationlism,haighey and co get slated,but in cold reality,they done state a great service,and werent only ones to do so

Yous cant just wash your hands of the issue as its too difficult,soldiers massacring people in the streets,entire communities being burnt out and your solution:all out attack and critism of those who are being attacked and sneer and mock with conceited rubbish critism anyone who dare and stand up for their community,

Its our country,much more than it'll ever be british,

• Advertisement

No one is disputing the wrongdoings of the Provos here, Mark.

The simple fact of the matter is that before a single Provo bullet was fired, Loyalist Paramilitaries and British Security forces murdered innocent people. Before a single Provo bullet was fired, my people lived with systemic discrimination....and when we tried to engage in peaceful protest, our friends and family were shot dead. That will always be the PRIMARY reason for what happened in the North. Without that, none of the rest happens. Cause and effect isn't a difficult thing to comprehend.

Still doesn't explain why you've landed into a thread about British security forces, started ranting about SF and the PIRA with your buddy Blanch and then with absolutely no grasp of irony started to accuse others of being political and politicising victims....

They are here to play the paritionist/belligerent Unionist - exonerate the government.

It's akin to blaming the French Resistance for WW2. Totally ignore why the war started in the first place and who was at fault for the circumstances that allowed it to begin.

Comparing the French Resistance to the Provos? Seriously Francie, that is a level of delusion far beyond normality.

Accusing people of being political/politicising situations when throwing your usual SF rants into a thread that isn't about SF is right up there on the delusion stakes, Blanch.

I'd suggest you do take a look into some of the less than pleasant things carried out by the French Resistance though; as understandable as most people think resisting Nazi occupation was (you probably reckon they should've written a letter to their local Wehrmacht leader and asked nicely that they stop pillaging their community and waited 50 years to see how that worked out in fairness), they were also guilty of war crimes, including the execution of PoWs.

Eloquently put. blanch clutching at straws again in search of an argument. Which he doesn't have of course.

Ironic given the IRA supported the Nazis and the Third Reich.

Sure one of Mary Lou's first acts, when she became a SF member, was to give a speech at the Sean Russell statue, an out-and-out Nazi sympathiser and collaberator.

• Advertisement

I grow ever more amazed at the ways certain folk will try and shoehorn the Shinners into a conversation.....even more amazed at the amount of overlap between that group and the handful of posters who shout about whataboutery if anyone bar the Shinners is mentioned in the SF thread, even when it is directly connected to the topic (or in certain cases that don't need to be specified, they've actually introduced to the topic themselves).

Care to have a look at the thread title again, Mark? You have plenty of places to whinge about SF at this point surely?

Deflecting attention from British responsibility for what they did, is what these guys are at. And it isn't because they care about the north, it is because they know if the British are held to account they can no longer pretend that it was the Irish(SF and the IRA) who were 'the primary cause of what happened here'.

I posted an image earlier that showed us that Irish Republicans were responsible for the vast majority of death in the Troubles. Seems pretty clear cut on who the primary cause of what happened were.

Like other words, you need to look up the meaning of 'cause'.

The IRA/UVF/INLA/UFF were symptoms of what was caused here on this island.

Cause?

Man gets up in the morning and plants a bomb in a crowded civilian area. Innocent people thus die, all for his own cause.

It is honestly not that complicated Francie. But go ahead and excuse away murder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement